Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2019 11:25 am  #1

Amari done for the season

From Zach's twitter feed:

#DuqMBB coach Keith Dambrot confirmed today that Amari Kelly is out for the season with a knee injury. @PghSportsNow's @mvukovcan is working on the story which includes video.

Rest, recoup, rehab, and then get back at it kid.   We're gonna need you. 

Last edited by townsonkid (3/08/2019 11:26 am)

3/08/2019 11:31 am  #2

Re: Amari done for the season

That is a blow to our chances of winning the A-10 Tournament.  Prayers for a quick and easy recovery for Amari.

3/08/2019 12:47 pm  #3

Are we talking surgery here?  Is it another ACL?  If it is an MCL, then he can possible avoid surgery.  In that case he should be ready to start working again as soon as the can get the knee healed.  if it's an ACL next season would be a redshirt or at least a very late start, and those situations usually mean a lost season anyway.

3/08/2019 1:07 pm  #4

Its fairly serious.  No, really, thats from KD's mouth....
Taylor is back.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/03/08/duquesne-freshman-amari-kelly-will-miss-rest-of-the-season/

Last edited by townsonkid (3/08/2019 1:08 pm)

3/08/2019 1:34 pm  #5

Wishing Amari all the best for a quick recovery.  I noticed that Rotroff is still in a leg brace.  Hope both of these guys are ready to go again next year.

3/08/2019 1:48 pm  #6

Get well, Amari. We appreciate what you bring to the Duquesne family

3/08/2019 2:27 pm  #7

He worked hard and is a nice kid...but I really don’t think losing him is going to make a significant difference in our quest to win the A-10.  If you look at the other post where his stats were listed they were minimal.  I do not think he was a difference maker.
Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (3/08/2019 2:29 pm)

3/08/2019 2:46 pm  #8

The fact is that Amari gave us a 6'9"  option at Center to back up Mike.  Amari would make the occasional block and score a few buckets.  At this point your back-up at Center is 6'5" Marcus Weathers;  and he is a starter at the 4-spot; so that is a problem.  Amari had his moments and showed some flashes.  We are most definitely a weaker team without Amari! 

3/08/2019 3:00 pm  #9

Depth, made worse because Rotroff is also out. Its a war of attrition.

3/08/2019 3:09 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

The fact is that Amari gave us a 6'9"  option at Center to back up Mike.  Amari would make the occasional block and score a few buckets.  At this point your back-up at Center is 6'5" Marcus Weathers;  and he is a starter at the 4-spot; so that is a problem.  Amari had his moments and showed some flashes.  We are most definitely a weaker team without Amari! 

Absolutely a weaker team, levon1975.  We have to hope that Mike Hughes can stay out of foul trouble, but still be aggressive defensively.  And based on what I have seen, that is a tall order for Mike.  Not having Austin and now Amari to provide back up hurts.  It's not all about the stats.

3/08/2019 3:54 pm  #11

This hurts, especially when coupled wit Austin's injury.  Best to Amari and a speedy recovery.  Why don't we just say what the injury is - what are we the Pittsburgh Penguins!!!???  We know Amari's gone for the season so what is the big deal?  Anyway, does anyone recollect what specifically the injury to Rotroff was?  

3/08/2019 4:24 pm  #12

I believe an ACL tear of the left knee.

3/08/2019 9:26 pm  #13

This is from Duques102 in a different thread:

Kelly’s numbers for the entire year are:
10.6 minutes per game
30% free throw shooter (only 3-10)
2.1 points per game
2.1 rebounds per game
0.3 assists per game
1.1 turnovers per game
0.6 blocks per game

Again, nice kid, will get better, but I still don't think a significant loss right now.

Last edited by FAM (3/08/2019 9:28 pm)

3/08/2019 10:14 pm  #14

Talked to him briefly at the ladies game tonight. ACL tear, waiting for swelling to subside to have surgery. Hopes to play mid season next year. Wished him well. Seems like a very nice young man. 

3/08/2019 11:21 pm  #15

Hope the swelling reduces in time for Amari to climb the ladder in Brooklyn after the Dukes win the tournament & partipate in cutting down the nets!

3/09/2019 11:13 am  #16

This is so disheartening.  What are the chances of two of your guys both going down with ACL's.  Good grief.  I don't really know what the expected timeline is for recovery for this type of injury, but from what I've heard it is 10 to 18 months.  It appears to me that both Rotroff and Kelly especially may be redshirt candidates next year.  If Rotroff can come back in November or December than maybe activate him, but any later than December I would say no and obviously even more so for Amari.  I just don't think they would even round into playing shape and get the rust off in a timely fashion.  Here is to a speedy recovery for both kids and hoping Ellis is all we think he can be and Swingle can contribute - we will need them right out of the gate next season.

Board footera