Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2019 10:57 pm  #1

Dukes need to get in the weight room

In order for the Dukes to make that next step ,beat the Power 5 schools and win a A10 championship and be
a NCAA tourney team we need to get a lot stronger to rebound the basketball. Our DUKES just dont match up
physically against ST.LOUIS.Duquesne looks like stick men compared to St.Louis and our downfall in almost
every loss this season was because of  our opponents killing us on the boards with stronger players.
  As well built  as Carry is he looks rather ordinary against St.Louis guards.This year has been a great year and the guys play hard but to be a champion Dukes need to get a lot more stronger physically and get some muscles.

3/07/2019 8:48 am  #2

Re: Dukes need to get in the weight room

stew wrote:

In order for the Dukes to make that next step ,beat the Power 5 schools and win a A10 championship and be
a NCAA tourney team we need to get a lot stronger to rebound the basketball. Our DUKES just dont match up
physically against ST.LOUIS.Duquesne looks like stick men compared to St.Louis and our downfall in almost
every loss this season was because of  our opponents killing us on the boards with stronger players.
  As well built  as Carry is he looks rather ordinary against St.Louis guards.This year has been a great year and the guys play hard but to be a champion Dukes need to get a lot more stronger physically and get some muscles.

SLU has many  5th year transfers from power 5 conferences. 23-24 years old. Hope the Dukes get SLU twice next year. Sweep. In regard the the weight room issue I truly believe many college & pro players take a form of HGH. Power 5 basketball players get easy access of HGH from their fellow football players. Coaches need not get involved but are aware when a players body transforms overnight. Does anyone think Tiger Woods looked like James Harrison from doing his reps prior to his tee time in the PGA weight room trailer. Let’s face it every player with a pro dream wants an edge in their performance. Would I do it probably. These are the realities & times we live in.

3/07/2019 9:19 am  #3

stew wrote:

They do indeed.  
A good dietitian along with a strength coach(hire one if they dont have one specifically for bball(both programs) will go a long way this off season.  Power and strength are required to win at the next level IMO.

3/07/2019 9:48 am  #4

Of course Duquesne has a strength coach; and has had them for years.  Building muscle is something to be done in the off-season.  I don’t think they want to do too much weight during the season; mostly maintenance.

3/07/2019 9:59 am  #5

Right, thats why I said off season.  I assumed the university has a strength coach, but how many people work under him/her?  Are there enough to track all the athletes at the school?  Just curious how it works.  I know at my HS way back when, we were in groups of 10 under a different coach to track our progress and help us train.

3/07/2019 10:15 am  #6

St louis guards looked like the tailbacks at Ohio State,and Hassan has attracted interest from NFL teams.
Duquesne hasnt got anyone other than Carry.They need to get 20 lbs on TDM as he would be much more effective against the more physical guards in our league.5-8 155 and you are overmatched in strength
which is what he seems to lack.

3/07/2019 7:30 pm  #7

John Henderson is the strength coach and a good one in my view! I  have seen what he has done with NaQuan and how much he improved via weight training Alex Conley too and even to a lesser extent Nehari and KT on the football team.  He works with the basketball players too and is on the bench every game but in the end for this to happen the players have to commit and Coach Dambrot has to kick some off season butts in this area! I agree with Stew and I know that its not football but we did get pushed around some!I also agree with Stew that this is   something that this particular group of
players should work on to get better

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/07/2019 7:42 pm)

3/08/2019 6:59 am  #8

If the guys don't get some results in the weight room we will be a 6th place team in the a10 next year.You can't beat the elite teams in this conference unless the opponent is limited to one and done, no more getting dominated with the other team playing volleyball on the glass.Its really falls on the players to get in and do the work in the weight room.

3/08/2019 8:10 am  #9

James Ellis is reported to have put on muscle to be up to around 250. Dylan Swingle is close to 300 lbs. That helps on the inside. Add some more muscle to freshman bodies and we will start to look like other teams physically. Ten more pounds of muscle for Eric Williams and Mike Hughes and viola!

3/08/2019 8:39 am  #10

I agree with this....bodies will get bigger as they grow up naturally. 

From this prospective - I would have red shirt Gavin Bizeau and started Dylan Swingle. 

Roll Dukes Roll

3/08/2019 8:40 am  #11

HookShot wrote:

James Ellis is reported to have put on muscle to be up to around 250. Dylan Swingle is close to 300 lbs. That helps on the inside. Add some more muscle to freshman bodies and we will start to look like other teams physically. Ten more pounds of muscle for Eric Williams and Mike Hughes and viola!

Don't forget about Austin Rotroff....I was surprised with how well he played earlier this year. 

Roll Dukes Roll

3/08/2019 12:36 pm  #12

stew wrote:

If the guys don't get some results in the weight room we will be a 6th place team in the a10 next year.You can't beat the elite teams in this conference unless the opponent is limited to one and done, no more getting dominated with the other team playing volleyball on the glass.Its really falls on the players to get in and do the work in the weight room.

Muscle aside, we are still a small team height-wise by A-10 standards, playing a 6'8" Mike H. at the 5 spot and 6'5" Marcus W. at the 4; but that could change abruptly next year. If James Ellis, 6'11" and Swingle 6'11", can compete at this level and assuming Rotroff returns from his knee surgery without complications, you should be able to play a true 5-man and allow Mike Hughes to rotate at the "4" with Marcus Weathers.  You still have  pretty good size at the "3"- with EW; so it all hinges on the ability of those three guys to step in and give us minutes at the 5 spot.  I didn't mention Kelly, because I haven't heard anything about his knee injury.  If it is an ACL then he'll like miss a good bit of next season as well. 

3/08/2019 12:42 pm  #13

currentstudent wrote:

I agree with this....bodies will get bigger as they grow up naturally. 

From this prospective - I would have red shirt Gavin Bizeau and started Dylan Swingle. 

I don't think you can say that now, since we still haven't seen Swingle play.  I'll assume that the coaches made the right call on Swingle.  if you have a guy that size that you felt could step in an contribute immediately, there would be no reason to redshirt him.  Bizeau could have used a redshirt year, but I think they saw how the guy can shoot the ball and figured he had a chance to give them a weapon off the bench.  At this point, we need him to play, just to give Mike H. a few minutes of rest.  It's a big challenge for a guy that has been primarily been a perimeter player.   

3/08/2019 3:57 pm  #14

Good points Levon and I agree totally about next year's 4 and 5 spot.  Marcus W is a good player, but c'mon he is to short for the power forward position.  Situational maybe, but not the #1 option at that 4 spot. I have said to the Professor and Iron Duke that MH should play the 4 next year with all the options at the 5. 

3/08/2019 4:14 pm  #15

Pistol it’s up to MH to work on mid-range jumpers with some 3s. Also needs to improve ball handling for slashing moves. MH has his jump hook working. Big if’s if he doesn’t work hard in the off season.

3/09/2019 11:18 am  #16

Good points ID 81, but I think MH is capable of that if he works on it.  However with the injuries to Rotroff and now Amari this may all be a moot point as they may need MH to stay at the 5 spot.

3/09/2019 12:25 pm  #17

Maybe Bizzeau gets redshirted next year?

Board footera