Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2019 9:57 am  #1

Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

7:00pm EST tip on Saturday 03/09/2019 at the AJ Palumbo Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #167 (19-11; 10-7; T-5th) vs University of Dayton Flyers #58 (20-10; 12-5; 3rd) - Atlantic 10 Conference
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 5, 73-68 - Dukes with 34% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 4 point underdogs; Over/Under 143
Duquesne 15-14-1 Against the Spread: Dayton 13-15-2 ATS

Previous Meeting:  Dayton 68; Dukes 64
Dukes Best Win(s): Radford (111); Saint Louis (128); Rhode Island (148)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): La Salle (222); NJIT (180); St. Bonaventure - 2 (134)
Dayton Best Win(s): Butler (60); Davidson (74); Georgia Southern (101)
Dayton Worst Loss(es): George Mason (157); Rhode Island (148); Saint Louis (128)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Dayton for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (12)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (4); Effective FG % (42)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (266)

Here's a look at Dayton in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1); FT Rate (4)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (1); Effective FG % (3)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (12)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (61)
Offensive Weakness:  Turnover % (287)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (25)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (351)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  Turnover % (11)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (2)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (14)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Dayton Adj Offense Efficiency - 111.8; 43 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.1; 170 in D-1
Dayton Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.0; 102 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.9; 176 in D-1
Dayton Adj Tempo - 64.6; 321 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 69.7; 81 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Dayton 1.36 yrs; 278 in D-1; Dukes 0.70 yrs; 346 in D-1
Average Height - Dayton 76.8"; 172 in D-1; Dukes 75.9"; 302 in D-1

3/09/2019 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

Sure would be nice to beat Dayton. Let's gitter dun.

3/09/2019 2:41 pm  #3

According to ESPN:
Dayton’s Liklihood of a win: 71.8%
Dukes liklihood: 28.2%

I hope the large crowd isntbduevtonDayton having more folks there than us.

3/09/2019 4:06 pm  #4

Thanks to today's results a win gives Duquesne the 5 seed. A loss gives Duquesne a 7 seed

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/09/2019 7:38 pm  #5

These refs are horrible.  Im in A7 and could see that ball just hit the blue part out of bounds.  How is that missed?

3/09/2019 10:16 pm  #6

I agree... The absolute worst referreed game I've been to this year.  Just when the Dukes were within 3 they blew calls at both ends of the floor to reverse momentum entirely.

I know that the Flyers brought a bunch of people but this was NOT their home game.  Tacky fouls on us and missed traveling calls on them all night.

The Dukes played with little intensity.   Carry brought the ball down the court like he was about to fall asleep.  He never attacked the Flyers defense the way he can.  He was playing like he didn't give a damn.

Last edited by coffee (3/09/2019 10:17 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/09/2019 10:19 pm  #7

yak-rbc wrote:

Thanks to today's results a win gives Duquesne the 5 seed. A loss gives Duquesne a 7 seed

Does anybody know why we lost the tiebreaker to St. Louis?

3/09/2019 10:38 pm  #8

Westender wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

They had a better record against the teams above us.

3/09/2019 11:41 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

They had a better record against the teams above us.

The A10 site still shows us as finishing 6th in the league.  Preseason polls picked us at 11.  Despite today's result, we have made progress, and, considering our injuries in the past month, I believe we will be picked much higher in next year's preseason poll.

3/10/2019 12:22 am  #10

Westender wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

St. Louis split with Dayton, we got swept by Dayton. Advantage, St. Louis. 7th place when we were picked for 11th. 10-8 in conference vs. 7-11 last year. That's progress, even if we've still got a ways to go. Now just need to win at least one conference tourney game, which is as many as we've won this entire decade.

3/10/2019 2:54 am  #11

Gotta say the amount of b*thing that goes on about the refs is really not justified. Refs got really nitpicky Dayton and it resulted in some serious foul trouble on their thin front court that the Dukes were ultimately unable to take full advantage of.

I don't have a ton of confidence going into Brooklyn. Our front court is super thin and I just worry about Mike playing for 35 minutes super conservatively because he can't get into foul trouble like tonight. I do gotta give props to Bizeau - he played much better D in the minute her received tonight.

We get St Joe's. I hope we crush them and I think Davidson is the most favorable 3rd round opponent we could draw should we reach that far. Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/10/2019 7:48 am  #12

DennisC91 wrote:

Westender wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

St. Louis split with Dayton, we got swept by Dayton. Advantage, St. Louis. 7th place when we were picked for 11th. 10-8 in conference vs. 7-11 last year. That's progress, even if we've still got a ways to go. Now just need to win at least one conference tourney game, which is as many as we've won this entire decade.

We've been a sad joke in the league tournament since the run a decade ago. Beat St Joe's to reach 20 wins, and I'm highly satisfied with this season.

3/10/2019 8:27 am  #13

I was lucky enough to sit next to a non-obnoxious Dayton fan who knew his basketball and even admitted that they got more favorable calls from the refs.

We’ll never match Dayton’s rabid fan base in our mid sized city with all the pro sports and shPitt to compete with but this could grow into a decent rivalry.  Dayton lost a lot when Xavier left the league.  We are natural rivals in both football and basketball.   

I got a nasty response after we beat them in football.  I honestly only wished them a safe drive home.   It’s a shame a few dolts can’t enjoy the competition without losing their minds.

I went to their forum and they absolutely love Pittsburgh as a city to travel to visit.  We could use a few more good restaurants nearer the campus within walking distance.   Couldn’t get into the Red Ring and most others were packed with both UD and DU fans.  Very nice feel to that section of the city and could be even better.  I was surprised the Souper Bowl was closed but good old Shales was still there.  Ended up trying Buford’s kitchen... not bad but still miss Frank and Wally's!

Last edited by coffee (3/10/2019 9:00 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/10/2019 8:45 am  #14

One last note... they better not reduce the number of seats at the Coop.  That would be short sighted.  If the trajectory of increased fan attendance keeps up, the Coop will fill.  Don’t rebuild a second class facility the way they did Rooney!

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/10/2019 9:28 am  #15

coffee wrote:

I agree... The absolute worst referreed game I've been to this year. Just when the Dukes were within 3 they blew calls at both ends of the floor to reverse momentum entirely.

I know that the Flyers brought a bunch of people but this was NOT their home game. Tacky fouls on us and missed traveling calls on them all night.

The Dukes played with little intensity. Carry brought the ball down the court like he was about to fall asleep. He never attacked the Flyers defense the way he can. He was playing like he didn't give a damn.

Coffee, I agree with you on all accounts.  I did not understand the consistent slow walk of the ball up the court by Carry down 10 with 4 minutes left.  I don't know if he was hurting or tired, but the Dukes offense went stagnant resulting in bad shots.  Our lack of depth hurt us.  Carry played 37 minutes, this can't continue to happen or we will not have him three more years.

Box Score:

https://goduquesne.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=9715

3/10/2019 9:51 am  #16

CLK wrote:

coffee wrote:

I agree... The absolute worst referreed game I've been to this year. Just when the Dukes were within 3 they blew calls at both ends of the floor to reverse momentum entirely.

I know that the Flyers brought a bunch of people but this was NOT their home game. Tacky fouls on us and missed traveling calls on them all night.

The Dukes played with little intensity. Carry brought the ball down the court like he was about to fall asleep. He never attacked the Flyers defense the way he can. He was playing like he didn't give a damn.

Coffee, I agree with you on all accounts.  I did not understand the consistent slow walk of the ball up the court by Carry down 10 with 4 minutes left.  I don't know if he was hurting or tired, but the Dukes offense went stagnant resulting in bad shots.  Our lack of depth hurt us.  Carry played 37 minutes, this can't continue to happen or we will not have him three more years.

Box Score:

Sincere's conditioning , due to his recent surgery , is affecting his play for sure. Hence, the tiring ( walking the ball up at the end of the game ) and not pressing the attack much like he has done almost all season.

Coach has completely lost faith in B. Wade at this point. Hopefully this situation improves next season.

Last edited by ghost (3/10/2019 9:51 am)

3/10/2019 9:55 am  #17

Then have TDM bring it up the floor.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/10/2019 11:02 am  #18

ghost wrote:

CLK wrote:

coffee wrote:

Box Score:

Coach has completely lost faith in B. Wade at this point. Hopefully this situation improves next season.

He's had a very disappointing season. I expected more based on what we heard about him. This might have been a very ugly season had Sincere Carry not fallen in our lap.

3/10/2019 2:24 pm  #19

yak-rbc wrote:

Gotta say the amount of b*thing that goes on about the refs is really not justified. Refs got really nitpicky Dayton and it resulted in some serious foul trouble on their thin front court that the Dukes were ultimately unable to take full advantage of.

I don't have a ton of confidence going into Brooklyn. Our front court is super thin and I just worry about Mike playing for 35 minutes super conservatively because he can't get into foul trouble like tonight. I do gotta give props to Bizeau - he played much better D in the minute her received tonight.

We get St Joe's. I hope we crush them and I think Davidson is the most favorable 3rd round opponent we could draw should we reach that far. Go Dukes

Don't want to be a "downer",but given the current mental and physical state of the team,it wouldn't surprise me one bit to take one on the chin from St.Joe's. When you get below the few top teams in the league, there is not much difference in the talent on the other teams. Any of those teams can beat any of the others. We don't have a strong enough inside game - have to hit a bunch of 3's to win.

3/10/2019 2:58 pm  #20

Duq81 you are on point about Wade.  If he can't really contribute when Carry is hurt and/or playing too many minutes then no wonder that PG 2019 recruit was at the game yesterday - just sayin.  Westender I am also lacking in confidence for the St. Joe's game.  Having to rely exclusively on MH in the middle is a major issue, especially given his fouling tendencies.  As someone pointed out on another thread, although we had some size before the injuries, our starting line-up is one of the smallest in the A-10.  Marcus is a good player, but he is simply not tall enough for an A-10 power forward IMHO.  If Ellis is as advertised I would move MH to the 4 next year and play Ellis, Swingle and Rotroff (when he gets back) at the 5.     

3/10/2019 3:47 pm  #21

Pete,who was the 2019 recruit at the game yesterday? Austin? He's not really a PG is he?

3/10/2019 4:25 pm  #22

I've finally calmed down enough to post. What idiot decided to allow Dayton fans to buy tickets in A1, A2, A3, A4? The last time we played at the Pete, all Duquesne fans were stuck in the last 10 rows of the section furthest from the court. I don't believe B1-B4 were sold out. Was anyone up top? My point is just to get an extra, what, $10 per ticket I ended up surrounded by Dayton yahoos in A2. Now at 67, I've shed any semblance of restrained behavior concerning this team. I almost dove two rows down to pop a clown that kept mocking me. Do a little work, find the greatest concentration of non-season ticket holder seats and stuff them there. Sheesh!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/10/2019 4:28 pm  #23

To ur point Ken, i expected a lot of them nir i too was surprised they were all over A2, 3 n 4. A handful were sitting 1st row A3

3/10/2019 5:31 pm  #24

Westender wrote:

Pete,who was the 2019 recruit at the game yesterday? Austin? He's not really a PG is he?

Evan Buckley

3/10/2019 5:43 pm  #25

Thanks Yak.

Board footera