Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2019 4:44 am  #1

Journalism 101/Fake News

I KNOW this site is NOT about political views etc.  Thought I would share some Observations about the recent Women's Hoops Tournament with just a tiny thought - when talking about "Fake News" the media does NOT have to lie -  what they DO AND DO NOT PRINT in their limited available space is just as important - very little if any thought is given to that.

Last Friday on Game Day - Eight teams were in town for the tournament -  Other than four lines of type - which mentioned the times etc.  One of "America's Great Newspapers" made NO Mention of that -  They COULD address of course whether a player from that "school up the road on 5th Avenue" -  Would be able to secure a 6th year of eligibility.

Some thoughts on that -

Maybe THAT article could have appeared on Saturday (which was Senior Day at Pitt)  - of course if it appeared on THAT day - those who just read the PG the 5 days they have the "paper edition" would have missed it.

In comparison in conjunction with the tournament  they COULD have written an article about a young lady whose career was winding down - who had won some sort of All-League honors in three of her four years - ranked third on the all time career scoring list - was a local gal - and somewhat undersized for her sport - and was part of teams that won 89 games.

OR they could have written some time of article that would mention the things Ghost posted about - what about Four Ladies finishing up a four year span in a completely different culture -  Heck maybe even things like finding food could have been a problem for them at the start.

But I guess the ladies "have the wrong chromosomes"

The PG COULD however find the space to publish a photo of Julianna consoling Chassidy  after the game (perhaps THAT could have been private)

(and maybe Judge Jack would have appreciated ONE article during football season about a football player from DU (or CMU) that carries a full case load - in a challenging academic environment as opposed to an article about how at the other school they may have to juggle the secondary for the game against Wake Forest.

MY subscription for the PG winds up in April - when the Original Invoice and the PG is telling me what a GREAT JOB they do and will continue to do comes I'm going to Ignore it (sort of like they ignored the fact that for a whole week they were saying the March 2,2019 Ladies game with St. Bonaventure was in Olean not Pittsburgh.)  And I imagine I might get an e-mail from them when my renewal check has not arrived - maybe then I'll refer them to this web site!!!

3/11/2019 7:12 am  #2

Re: Journalism 101/Fake News

Pretty sure had pitt been hosting the ladies ACC tourn, the PG would have had 2-3 reporters camped out there the whole week, interviews with Muffet McGraw, Louisville, and of course their darling pitt team/fans/alumni/AD, etc.   I've learned to shrug it off.  DU gets no respect, a sad fact, even a certain player FROM Western PA who finished as 3rd all time scorer.  

3/11/2019 9:27 am  #3

Newspapers everywhere are struggling to exist.  Yet they stubbornly and willfully make decisions about content and point of view appealing to only a segment of their potential audience. Then they cry about how other media sources are killing them. I think about dumping my local rag every time I have to renew. 

3/11/2019 10:48 am  #4

I support 'Skeptic Al's' comments about the poor-to-non-existent coverage of your local paper.

To give you a comparison, I just got back from Vegas where I was covering the PAC-12 Tourney and (yes), as one would imagine, media coverage, including print media for 12 Power Five conference schools was significant.

But the local Las Vegas paper was also giving incredible coverage to the UNLV Runnin' Rebels, a member of the Mountain West Conference, which is a mid-major.  Some of these stories reflected Skeptic Al's suggestions to the PG- personal, human interest stories about local gals doing well for UNLV AND- local gals who are performing well in the PAC-12.

Think about Vegas- the entertainment capital of the world, where there is so much competition for people's attention- and yet for the 4 days I was there, EVERY DAY there was something in the paper about UNLV- a team not even doing particularly well this season.

I don't live in your city, but made several attempts to get the PG to cover Dukes women's bb and,  in fact, was encouraged to do so by former AD of Media Relations, Ryan Gavatorta- but the people I spoke to were not terribly receptive.

Your program deserves much better.  Wishing you the best.

3/11/2019 10:49 am  #5

I support 'Skeptic Al's' comments about the poor-to-non-existent coverage of your local paper.

To give you a comparison, I just got back from Vegas where I was covering the PAC-12 Tourney and (yes), as one would imagine, media coverage, including print media for 12 Power Five conference schools was significant.

But the local Las Vegas paper was also giving incredible coverage to the UNLV Runnin' Rebels, a member of the Mountain West Conference, which is a mid-major.  Some of these stories reflected Skeptic Al's suggestions to the PG- personal, human interest stories about local gals doing well for UNLV AND- local gals who are performing well in the PAC-12.

Think about Vegas- the entertainment capital of the world, where there is so much competition for people's attention- and yet for the 4 days I was there, EVERY DAY there was something in the paper about UNLV- a team not even doing particularly well this season.

I don't live in your city, but made several attempts to get the PG to cover Dukes women's bb and,  in fact, was encouraged to do so by former AD of Media Relations, Ryan Gavatorta- but the people I spoke to were not terribly receptive.

3/11/2019 10:51 am  #6

3/11/2019 11:08 am  #7

You can say that again!, Sperlman.

3/11/2019 5:11 pm  #8

AND TODAY'S PG has an Article -  FULL SIZE about the MANAGER at Pitt's Team - was a Walk-on -  "Started" the Notre Dame game - PLAYED 15 SECONDS!!!!

Thanks for the positive responses -  Thought Chassidy (and this year's class was special) Was ONE article too much to ask for??

Board footera