Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2019 7:15 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

Westender, if you go to the recruiting section CLK posted a video of Evan Buckley and as Yak noted he was at the game last night.  When you look at the video note how he has that pull up jumper, which is something I like to see to compliment the 3 pointer.  Like I said, I think this kid would be a good addition. 

3/10/2019 7:58 pm  #27

Totally agree Ken - It is totally frustrating and unacceptable that visiting fans are able to access the licensed seating sections.  We are in A7 and were lucky that there not that many Dayton fans there.  But  A8 and A9 had tons.  Many in the first few rows. I don't care if it was behind their bench or not.   I felt sorry for the season ticket holders around them.  As you all have said, it was similar on the other side of the court.  We had to look at them.  It was embarrassing and was essentially a home game for Dayton.  This has to stop.  As was mentioned, it will be worse at times at the Paint Can.  It doesn't help that the students do not attend.  That is pathetic.  Don't care whether they were on break.  Inconceivable that there are not a few hundred student basketball fans within an hour of the city.  The team works so hard and has come such a long way they should be supported.  Many games, the other sports teams attended but mostly did not cheer.  Just sat there.  Why bother.  I know, I know, when they win they will come.  Kiss my grits.  On a positive note, the Red and Blue Crew is to be congratulated on their passion and support over the years.  They rock!  Keep it up and grow the ranks!  

Last edited by RedAndBlueRUS1 (3/10/2019 8:01 pm)

3/10/2019 9:14 pm  #28

PistolPete wrote:

Westender, if you go to the recruiting section CLK posted a video of Evan Buckley and as Yak noted he was at the game last night.  When you look at the video note how he has that pull up jumper, which is something I like to see to compliment the 3 pointer.  Like I said, I think this kid would be a good addition. 

Yes,Pete,I saw it just before I saw your post. Thanks.

3/10/2019 9:56 pm  #29

duq81 wrote:

ghost wrote:

CLK wrote:

Coffee, I agree with you on all accounts.  I did not understand the consistent slow walk of the ball up the court by Carry down 10 with 4 minutes left.  I don't know if he was hurting or tired, but the Dukes offense went stagnant resulting in bad shots.  Our lack of depth hurt us.  Carry played 37 minutes, this can't continue to happen or we will not have him three more years.

Box Score:

https://goduquesne.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=9715

Coach has completely lost faith in B. Wade at this point. Hopefully this situation improves next season.

He's had a very disappointing season. I expected more based on what we heard about him. This might have been a very ugly season had Sincere Carry not fallen in our lap.

I feel like he wasn't given much of a chance. There was an interview earlier where Coach said that the backup point guard has the least amount of room for error. It would have been nice to extend that room a good amount earlier in the year to give Wade a chance to really gain some confidence. I'll concede he did not impress much early, but if you  know you are getting benched at your first mistake, you're going to play tighter than normal. To the earlier point, playing Carry 35+ minutes a game, especially after he's needed to take a few games off, isn't great. 

3/11/2019 5:39 am  #30

mm76or99 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ghost wrote:

Coach has completely lost faith in B. Wade at this point. Hopefully this situation improves next season.

He's had a very disappointing season. I expected more based on what we heard about him. This might have been a very ugly season had Sincere Carry not fallen in our lap.

I feel like he wasn't given much of a chance. There was an interview earlier where Coach said that the backup point guard has the least amount of room for error. It would have been nice to extend that room a good amount earlier in the year to give Wade a chance to really gain some confidence. I'll concede he did not impress much early, but if you  know you are getting benched at your first mistake, you're going to play tighter than normal. To the earlier point, playing Carry 35+ minutes a game, especially after he's needed to take a few games off, isn't great. 

I never buy the excuse that a player needs lots of playing time to show something. Players earn more playing time by showing flashes during limited minutes. Lamar Norman didn't play any more than Wade, but he showed flashes to make you think he might be able to play at this level. Rotroff, and Kelly did as well. Wade really didn't have a single game where he was impressive. His stats are brutally bad. 19.5% from the field. Norman was double that, at 39.2%. I waited all year for him to have that game that made you say "hmmmmm, this is what he can do". I'm still waiting. Maybe this week? As for being under pressure to perform, good players perform when there's pressure on them. That's when the wheat gets separated from the chaff. If you can't produce under pressure, you're not going to make it.

3/11/2019 8:50 am  #31

From an earlier post(s) - I agree:  that it's a shame student and other attendance isn't better, that Dayton or other opposing fans shouldn't be given prime seating or seating mixed with season ticket holders, that the new arena should be at least as big as the one we have now, etc.  But I don't agree with criticizing people who buy tickets but don't always show up. 

I'm not taking this personally by the way, but as a way of explaining what some of us with tickets do:  I was in attendance at the Dayton game and probably for 70% of the games this year.  But there are times when I can't come due to my work schedule.  My sons used to come with me when they were younger though now they can't for various reasons that don't really matter here.  Yet I still buy two season tickets to support Duquesne just like I buy a season ticket to the women's team though I'm often not present for the same reason.  If I can, I give my tickets away to family and friends.  I used to offer them on this board for free when they were easy to transfer because I used the electronic "flash seats" ticket option but that disappeared this year.  This is my way of saying that I assume others are the same - looking to support Duquesne but not always able to be present and not always able to find someone to take tickets. 

3/11/2019 10:44 am  #32

What DU needs to do, give the visiting team 4-5 rows behind their team bench, and thats it.  
Now, with the technology being what it is, and people buying tickets online, there is no way to prevent 100s people from buying blocks of open seats, Dayton, URI, VCU, SBU...dont matter.   I feel bad for what DU fans were stuck in the middle of that, I woulda moved or got in a fight.  
Maybe, check for billing zip codes online?  IDK.

3/11/2019 11:06 am  #33

fjhryn wrote:

Mulder wrote:

From an earlier post(s) - I agree:  that it's a shame student and other attendance isn't better, that Dayton or other opposing fans shouldn't be given prime seating or seating mixed with season ticket holders, that the new arena should be at least as big as the one we have now, etc.  But I don't agree with criticizing people who buy tickets but don't always show up. 

I'm not taking this personally by the way, but as a way of explaining what some of us with tickets do:  I was in attendance at the Dayton game and probably for 70% of the games this year.  But there are times when I can't come due to my work schedule.  My sons used to come with me when they were younger though now they can't for various reasons that don't really matter here.  Yet I still buy two season tickets to support Duquesne just like I buy a season ticket to the women's team though I'm often not present for the same reason.  If I can, I give my tickets away to family and friends.  I used to offer them on this board for free when they were easy to transfer because I used the electronic "flash seats" ticket option but that disappeared this year.  This is my way of saying that I assume others are the same - looking to support Duquesne but not always able to be present and not always able to find someone to take tickets. 

I'm sorry, but the number of Dayton fans who were sitting in A2 & A3 could not possibly have received tickets as "family & friends" of season ticket holders who couldn't make the game. The thing I resent most is the fact that season tickets in these sections cost an extra $100 per just for the privilege of having seats there, and yet, those of us who do go to the games are faced with what happened Saturday.. I often have heard that these sections have few season tickets available for purchase. If that's the case, there must be a ton of altruistic people out there buying these premium seats just to support the Program. How do these seats become available on game day? Maybe, if our hopes of better days to come for the Dukes bring out more Duquesne fans to the games, we won't have to rely on opposing fans to fill our new arena.

I don't disagree about Dayton fans.  Just commenting on why some Dukes ticket holders may not make a game.  Maybe I'm the only one out there that does this but I doubt it.

3/11/2019 11:15 am  #34

To be fair, I've been stunned how easy and available good seats were gotten at Pitt, Penn State, St. Francis, and Bucknell games, where I sat in the middle of their season ticket holders and rooted against their team.

Last edited by MikeR (3/11/2019 11:17 am)

3/12/2019 12:45 pm  #35

KenOTR73 wrote:

I've finally calmed down enough to post. What idiot decided to allow Dayton fans to buy tickets in A1, A2, A3, A4? The last time we played at the Pete, all Duquesne fans were stuck in the last 10 rows of the section furthest from the court. I don't believe B1-B4 were sold out. Was anyone up top? My point is just to get an extra, what, $10 per ticket I ended up surrounded by Dayton yahoos in A2. Now at 67, I've shed any semblance of restrained behavior concerning this team. I almost dove two rows down to pop a clown that kept mocking me. Do a little work, find the greatest concentration of non-season ticket holder seats and stuff them there. Sheesh!

I just spoke with Nick in the ticket office. Here's the latest. All home games next year will be at PPG Paints. The majority of OOC games will be at the other team's site or a neutral site (this is our preferred choice). They are re-vamping the ticketing structure for the new Palumbo so stay tuned there. As for Dayton. We allocated 100 tickets behind their bench and 100 in A8 and A9. The ticket office screened requests for additional tickets and stuck them in B1-B4 if they could tell the requestor was a Dayton fan. They have no control over Duquesne fans reselling on stub-hub, of course. Well, that really doesn't explain how at least 12 Dayton folk ended up beside us, behind us and in front of us in A2. I'm pretty certain that most of those seats are not season tickets.  Just have to bring the brass knuckles next time. LOL. GO DUKES!!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/12/2019 12:51 pm  #36

You'd be shocked to learn how many Dayton alum are in Pittsburgh. Hard to "screen" them by phone number or zip codes if they're already here

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/13/2019 3:41 pm  #37

The old barn looked pretty nice with a crowd, like I remember it when it opened.  Hopefully the Coop will host a lot more full houses...

https://goduquesne.com/images/2019/3/9/DAV_0985.JPG?width=1920&quality=80&format=jpg

Board footera