Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2019 7:17 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's Hawks (A10 Tourney)

Well... do we play in the CBI?

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/14/2019 7:24 pm  #27

I'm proud of the Dukes and the season they had but this one stings.  In fact the last few weeks of the season sting.  They ran out of depth and gas which hurt them but this team talks about not getting enough respect and these are the games they need to win to get it.  I won't harp on that because I'm sour now after that loss.

St. Joes played one heck of a game and some good individual efforts from the Dukes at times.  That's why they have a next year I guess.  

3/14/2019 7:28 pm  #28

Defense gets shredded for 92-points!  Will we ever have a team that cares about defense? 

I figured this to be a bad matchup because Brown scores at will against us; but this was ridiculous.

3/14/2019 7:29 pm  #29

Thompson just mentioned how young the league is and to expect the A-10 to have quite a few more bids next year and mentioned Duquesne specifically.

Last edited by coffee (3/14/2019 7:30 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/14/2019 7:35 pm  #30

You have to wonder whether the outcome would have been different if at least one of Rotroff or Kelly were available.  Hopefully next season, with more experience and hopefully better health we continue to make strides.  I think Coach won just enough games this year to help his recruiting going forward.  The needle is pointing up.  Let's keep it going. 

3/14/2019 7:38 pm  #31

I wonder if we can read much into Norman getting the start? He put up 18. There was talk earlier about his dad not being happy, and wanting to pull him out.

Got nothing from TDM tonight.

3/14/2019 7:38 pm  #32

HerbertHoover wrote:

called it.. got into a track meet and Duq doesn't have enough offensive pop to play at that pace.... how does Duquesne pay a strength coach over $100K and 4 of their players were hurt this season? two tore ACL's, hughes was out during non conference play & carry was out the last few games of A10 play. Harper is a joke and all Dambrot does is make excuses. 

Where the hell are you coming from with this post? Do you not realize that you can't condition athletes against ACL tears????? 

Sincere came into the program with knee issues, or didn't you read about that? Did you know that Hughes couldn't even practice last year?

3/14/2019 7:42 pm  #33

applecorps wrote:

HerbertHoover wrote:

called it.. got into a track meet and Duq doesn't have enough offensive pop to play at that pace.... how does Duquesne pay a strength coach over $100K and 4 of their players were hurt this season? two tore ACL's, hughes was out during non conference play & carry was out the last few games of A10 play. Harper is a joke and all Dambrot does is make excuses. 

Where the hell are you coming from with this post? Do you not realize that you can't condition athletes against ACL tears????? 

Sincere came into the program with knee issues, or didn't you read about that? Did you know that Hughes couldn't even practice last year?

I don't know if he's just an unhappy malcontent or a troll... Hoover is a great screen name for the guy since he tends to suck up the dirt.  Trying not to be too crude with the analogy.

Last edited by coffee (3/14/2019 7:43 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/14/2019 7:45 pm  #34

applecorps wrote:

HerbertHoover wrote:

Obvious troll. He's been sent to the guillotine! I'm a mean King!!

3/14/2019 7:47 pm  #35

applecorps wrote:

HerbertHoover wrote:

Don’t even waste time answering this troll.  Clearly he is just trying to tear the Dukes down, and has no clue about, well anything!

3/14/2019 7:52 pm  #36

Just not ready for prime time. Don't think they won any games this year with defense. Hope Dambrot coaches more active defense next year. It's what wins games.

3/14/2019 7:54 pm  #37

coffee wrote:

I doubt it my friend from this quote from KD:

Keith Dambrot: "Until Duquesne plays in the NIT or NCAA Tournament, I'm not all in on any other tournament (CBI, etc.). To me, those goals are pretty evident at Duquesne."

3/14/2019 7:55 pm  #38

Dukes provided me with a lot of excitement and joy and those come from behind wins showed the team never quit.The injuries really hurt the team at the end.I think the team is done for the year ,with injuries
and being banged up .Its time for the players to get with the coaches and start setting goals for next year.
Time to find out who will transfer out and maybe get out and recruit .Thank you Duquesne players and coaches for all your hard work.

3/14/2019 7:59 pm  #39

3/14/2019 8:01 pm  #40

A couple more observations; a look at the stats and you see that the Dukes had the advantage on the boards, had only 10-turnovers; but StJoe’s rarely turns it over.

In tournament play when a game is close; it’s usually wise to take the team with a proven scorer; edge to StJoe’s!  We don’t have that guy yet who just knows how to finish in big games.  We need a closer! 

They also got a few baskets here and there from their subs.  The Dukes bench didn’t give us much; but with Kelly and Rotroff healthy maybe we rule the paint in this game. 

Next step is to try and keep all of our key players and get better over the summer.

3/14/2019 8:03 pm  #41

Progress this yearr?.....yes
3 potential impact players coming in?....yes
Can they get better than the rest of the league?.....not sure

They better work hard, together.   

See ya next year Dukes.  In an empty ass PPG.

3/14/2019 8:09 pm  #42

I think the defense was pretty good, the problem was rebounding.Hopefully Swingle brings something as well as the kid from Westinghouse.

Dukes just got hammered on the glass and until that is fixed we will never get a NCAA invite.The coaches
know it and we will see what happens next year.19-13 not bad with the inexperience at every position.I am
pretty well satisfied with the direction program is headed .It was a fun season.

3/14/2019 8:10 pm  #43

Good points Stew and agree! I admit that I was rooting for the best overall Duquesne sports season since 1977 which it still might be considered given 19 men hoops wins,NEC Championship and first NCAA playoff win ever in football and a respectable Women's basketball season. We saw improvement for the second year in a row under Coach D and we now have leadership in Dave Harper and Kenny Gormley who recognize the importance of successful athletic programs! Thanks for your posts Stew as always

3/14/2019 8:22 pm  #44

Herbert Hoover can go to hell.Get him off this board.

3/14/2019 8:26 pm  #45

stew wrote:

I think the defense was pretty good, the problem was rebounding.Hopefully Swingle brings something as well as the kid from Westinghouse.

Dukes just got hammered on the glass and until that is fixed we will never get a NCAA invite.The coaches
know it and we will see what happens next year.19-13 not bad with the inexperience at every position.I am
pretty well satisfied with the direction program is headed .It was a fun season.

What?
Defense needs to get much better to be a serious team in this, or any league.  Rebounding will take care of itself.

Talent-level needs to get better to compete in this league.  We generally lack skilled scorers, athleticism and adequate size and beef at the 3 and 4, speed in general at the guard positions.  Opposition guards with better than average speed and the ability to penetrate just open up our defense like the parting of the Nile!  So there is a lot of work to do to get the program out of the also-ran position!  I hope I have enough time!

3/14/2019 8:33 pm  #46

We can do a summer tour this year if we want. Might be a real good idea since it's going to feel like next year is one long strange road trip. Creating some physical and mental toughness might go a long way in determining if we're going to be road warriors or roadkill. 

3/14/2019 8:43 pm  #47

Ground Hogs Day the Movie. Dukes in March. I’m like the majority of you will on this board will  die before they get an NC AA bid. I watched WVU win second round in Big 12 tournament with sub par players. Hugs kicked off 4 starters this year. Coach Dambrot spend a week in Morgantown and learn from the master. Why can’t Duquesne ever over achieve in March.? Very disappointed

3/14/2019 8:52 pm  #48

Very disappointing end of the season for the dukes. Dambrot got out coached by Phil, giving up 90+ is unacceptable from a defensive minded coach. Definitely going to be pressure on Dambrot to win in his 3rd year, especially with a new arena coming...Considering the A10 is down i would consider this season meeting or slightly below expectation. Not winning an A10 tourney game the last few years is hard to swallow. 

3/14/2019 8:56 pm  #49

stew wrote:

Herbert Hoover can go to hell.Get him off this board.

He's been whacked!

3/14/2019 9:00 pm  #50

coffee wrote:

As much as I hate to see this season end, I don't think we should. We had the chance to keep playing and didn't take it. Losing 4 out of 5 and losing to the 10 seed in the conference isn't what you expect from a postseason team. If we were to buy our way into a tourney, it probably would be one and done and I don't know how much we get out of that. The team is worn out. It was a fun season, but it's time to look forward now. Brighter days are ahead, let's move on and get them started.

Board footera