Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2019 9:14 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's Hawks (A10 Tourney)

duq81 wrote:

stew wrote:

Herbert Hoover can go to hell.Get him off this board.

He's been whacked!

3/14/2019 9:21 pm  #52

The only word that I used before the season started was patience.This isn't thee Ohio State University,
this is Duquesne but after this loss it sounds a lot like the Buckeye nonsense after a loss to any Big Ten team.God forbid if we lose to Michigan.The coach sucks, our players suck.Just nonsense.
 Dambrot is fixing a train wreck of a program at Duquesne,it takes time, like 4 recruiting classes to really
evaluate  his work.Patience is the word I used before the season and patience is the word after
the season.I am excited to see the next step taken at Duquesne and it may take place next year and maybe not.I see progress and am grateful for it.Thank you Dukes for a great season.

3/14/2019 9:24 pm  #53

duq81 wrote:

stew wrote:

Herbert Hoover can go to hell.Get him off this board.

He's been whacked!

The stock market crash, the Great Depression and  a limited perspective rant after an understandably disappointing loss that misses the big picture regarding Duquesne Athletics overall! I am not impartial when it comes to Dave Harper or John Henderson but I think it is hard to find specific reasons to criticize Dave when viewed in overall context and I know John has helped kids who wanted to be helped!

3/14/2019 9:25 pm  #54

The 19 wins doesn't impress me because of our extremely weak out of conference schedule. However, I am impressed that we went 10-9 in league play with a young team. Whether there is talent there to develop in the upcoming years or whether we need to bring in better players is something I leave to KD, who has a much better handle on this than I do.  

3/14/2019 11:03 pm  #55

These kids are Freshman and Soph. players with no Senior leader on the team. They could have played this season worse than our 19 wins. Most, if not all will be back next year and still be a young team. I see next year as the year this should come together for this program and KD.  I'd say defense should be a priority and just possible, use more of that height advantage that seems to be on this team in forming next years offense.  I really didn't expect much this season and was for the most part impressed.  Next years team looks to be in better shape than almost anytime I can remember, so, we shall see.  Go Dukes 

3/14/2019 11:34 pm  #56

The Dukes made real strides this year. The biggest key to success for next year is true game CONSISTENCY. That means more solid play for longer stretches of time. That I suspect comes with experience and total commitment to the coaching systems. These kids are good players - better than we have had in quite a long time. They need to work hard together, take the coaching, get stronger and believe that they will become champions. Many experts say it takes three recruiting classes to get there. All signs are pointing to the fact that we are ahead of schedule. Looking forward to next year. Go Dukes!

3/15/2019 4:03 am  #57

Just a couple of odds and ends...

-We really did make progress this year and only one more win to get to some magical total of 20 instead of 19 isn’t that big of a difference.   I’m more concerned that we lost the close ones we had been winning.

-Losing the “close ones” at the end is sometimes is due to lack of depth, lack of conditioning, foul trouble which forces the bigs to not play their minutes or play more carefully, or lack of will power to grab the win.  For us it was the lack of depth without Kelly and Rothroff and foul trouble.  Sincere losing time and having to play after knee surgery didn’t help.

-Hughes, Weathers and Williams when playing together usually held their own on the glass... we didn’t get hammered on the boards vs St. Joes... we pulled down more that they did.

- Shooting did go cold.  We started out patient but threw it up too soon when we got excited. 

- sometimes I like Martelli,  sometimes he annoys me.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/15/2019 6:01 am  #58

stew wrote:

The only word that I used before the season started was patience.This isn't thee Ohio State University,
this is Duquesne but after this loss it sounds a lot like the Buckeye nonsense after a loss to any Big Ten team.God forbid if we lose to Michigan.The coach sucks, our players suck.Just nonsense.
 Dambrot is fixing a train wreck of a program at Duquesne,it takes time, like 4 recruiting classes to really
evaluate  his work.Patience is the word I used before the season and patience is the word after
the season.I am excited to see the next step taken at Duquesne and it may take place next year and maybe not.I see progress and am grateful for it.Thank you Dukes for a great season.

Couldn't agree more. Merely adding Rotroff and Kelly would have helped, but Swingle and Ellis may also contribute next year.  Add Maceo Austin and I think top 4 is easily in sight. Nice games by EW, Weathers and Norman.

3/15/2019 8:39 am  #59

Well, so much for the NIT.

This team has some problems:

* defense is not strong enough though it is a good shot-blocking team
* some of the front court needs to get bigger, stronger
* Carry not dependable because of his knees, need to work out time pattern with other guards to keep him fresh
* my god, get better at free throws
* don't fear the zone defense at times
* fix whatever makes Eric Williams inconsistent scorer

Not a bad season but much more should be expected next year.

3/15/2019 9:23 am  #60

I'd wager $1 today that FT shooting does not improve next year, it might go up a point or two, but will cost the team some games. 

It sickens me that there are no home games next year, PPG sucks for bball.  But, if thats the cost to pay in order to get the Coop, cool.

Lots of talent on this team, but now they need to mature, improve on their individual weaknesses, and come together as a team.  2020-21 cant get here quick enough.

3/15/2019 11:15 am  #61

One important stat where KD was out coached by Phil --- DUQ repeatedly under performs on the foul line.   St. Joe shot 88.5% while DUQ shot 68.2%.  It's a stat that winners generally excel in....   

3/15/2019 11:45 am  #62

stew wrote:

Stew! The voice of reason. You get it. I don't have to remind anyone that the 40-plus years of irrelevance (minus the Everhart era) didn't happen in less than that time. It happened over a long period of time. There is clear evidence that this administration has stepped up noticeably, and the current coach is the man who will lead the Dukes back to the Dance. Step by step (not brick by brick). WEB, on another thread, also posted with a voice of reason. There is so much that is going to happen between now and next season that will have folks wondering why they were trashing the end of this year. Who in their right mind would have thought that Duquesne would challenge for a double bye late in the season? I'm as frustrated as the next guy because I've been around long before 1977, but some of the stuff that's said makes you wonder if the people saying it are actually talking about Duquesne or a team somewhere in the midwest that plays for a power conference and rarely misses the NCAA tournament. If that makes any sense. This team completely overachieved this year. Don't you think? As one person put it here (can't remember where I read it), they played the entire year without a senior leader. Not even a junior leader (save for Lewis). That's a pretty profound concept because the Dukes almost reached 20 wins.

3/15/2019 12:16 pm  #63

NapaDuke wrote:

These kids are Freshman and Soph. players with no Senior leader on the team. They could have played this season worse than our 19 wins. Most, if not all will be back next year and still be a young team. I see next year as the year this should come together for this program and KD.  I'd say defense should be a priority and just possible, use more of that height advantage that seems to be on this team in forming next years offense.  I really didn't expect much this season and was for the most part impressed.  Next years team looks to be in better shape than almost anytime I can remember, so, we shall see.  Go Dukes 

I think the reason for disappointment is the team seemed to regress as the season wore on. Injuries were a big part of the late season slide, but even before the injury bug hit we seemed to be regressing. Inexperience is likely to blame for the inconsistency we saw all year long, but it didn't seem to get any better and in fact likely got worse.

Having said that any Dukes fan has to agree with your final sentiment. I haven't been around as long as a lot of you guys (only since 2000), but the program is definitely in the best situation it's been in since I've been following it. The last time we finished better than 500 and returned our leading scorer the next year was 1972 (Lionel Billingley). Even more than that though, we likely will return our entire two deep not only next year, but the year after. Plus we'll be bringing in two guys who would likely make an all-recruit team from the last 20 years (Austin, Bolding, Peggau, Watkins, and Swingle would be mine).

The only time I think can be compared to now is exactly 10 years ago. It was the only time in my lifetime we finished with more wins than this year. We brought back 10 of the top 11 guys in minutes the following year, and two of them were big time recruits. It will be important to figure out what went wrong then, so we don't repeat it again. Sadly I don't know myself what it was, and I'm not sure it will be looked into much, as almost no one from then is still around.

3/15/2019 1:48 pm  #64

URI takes down VCU! 
VCU also loses their lead guard Evans to a knee injury. We don't know how long he's out; but he's had a history of injuries.   They had no answer without Evans to set the table. 

Jeff Dowtin had another great game for URI; this guy is just a money player.  A guy you want on your team in March.  He has never been flashy, or spectacular, but just very efficient.  I believe he was a 3-Star recruit out of Maryland and turned into a great recruit for Hurley and now Cox at URI.  When he had to step in a play as a freshman, several years ago, he really looked kind of awkward at first.  He was very thin, and I wondered if he even belonged at this level; but he quickly proved his skill.  He always played very smart and under control, and  I've always respected this guy's game.  When you think that the Dukes came from 16-down to beat this team, it gives you hope that with more growth, more depth and experience, our guys can do great things someday.  Hopefully there is another guy out there that plays like Dowtin the Dukes find and recruit. 

Last edited by levon1975 (3/15/2019 1:49 pm)

3/15/2019 3:24 pm  #65

NapaDuke wrote:

The only time I think can be compared to now is exactly 10 years ago. It was the only time in my lifetime we finished with more wins than this year. We brought back 10 of the top 11 guys in minutes the following year, and two of them were big time recruits. It will be important to figure out what went wrong then, so we don't repeat it again. Sadly I don't know myself what it was, and I'm not sure it will be looked into much, as almost no one from then is still around.

I know what happened 10 years ago, Aaron Jackson graduated. He was just that good. I think both Williams, and a healthy Carry can reach that level, but they're not there yet.
What else hurt the team in 2010, was that Boldin got injured in the opener. He was really looking dominant, and looked ready to give Damian a run as best player on the team. When he came back, Ron obviously didn't subscribe to the "you can't lose your job due to injury" theory. When Ron didn't ease him back into his starting role, he sulked, and it affected the team since it seemed like there were some players who agreed with him. That's when you first started to hear the snide comments about the "Everhart swag".

3/15/2019 4:09 pm  #66

duq81 wrote:

I know what happened 10 years ago, Aaron Jackson graduated. He was just that good. I think both Williams, and a healthy Carry can reach that level, but they're not there yet.
What else hurt the team in 2010, was that Boldin got injured in the opener. He was really looking dominant, and looked ready to give Damian a run as best player on the team. When he came back, Ron obviously didn't subscribe to the "you can't lose your job due to injury" theory. When Ron didn't ease him back into his starting role, he sulked, and it affected the team since it seemed like there were some players who agreed with him. That's when you first started to hear the snide comments about the "Everhart swag". 

Thanks for the reminder. I remembered him getting hurt and transferring, but forgot what led up to it. We collapsed at the beginning of the non-conference and he played in those games. I couldn’t figure out what went wrong. I forgot the controversy over if / when / how he’d be back.

Last edited by luckymcd (3/15/2019 4:11 pm)

3/15/2019 10:05 pm  #67

luckymcd wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Thanks for the reminder. I remembered him getting hurt and transferring, but forgot what led up to it. We collapsed at the beginning of the non-conference and he played in those games. I couldn’t figure out what went wrong. I forgot the controversy over if / when / how he’d be back.

I was at that game when he took a cheep shot under the rim and came down hard, just really ruined that season. Had Boldin not got injured, I really think that season could have been a real break-thru year.

3/15/2019 11:20 pm  #68

luckymcd wrote:

duq81 wrote:

He got hurt in the first game of the year, and missed most of the non conference.

3/19/2019 10:52 am  #69

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Just wanted to close this out. The game that Boldin was injured was, indeed, the opener against Nichols State. He was going in for a layup and their oaf of a forward drove him into the basket support. In the first 5 minutes! Of an OOC game! In any case, I managed to get on their message board and reamed the clown a new one. That was also the year that we lead Pitt by 17 at the half. We were so much quicker than they were. Jamie switched to a zone in the second half and we started gasping for air. We had a chance to win in regulation and the first OT, I think. Eric Evans dribbled the ball off of his foot in the second OT and that was it. That would have been a great season. 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera