Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2019 10:14 am  #1

Phil Martelli let go

From Rothstein, via twitter, St Joes has parted ways with Phil Martelli, per release.

3/19/2019 10:37 am  #2

Re: Phil Martelli let go

Wow, that is surprising.  He had a tough year family wise (lost his Dad) and his team dealt with injuries early.  This is a surprise, but all that being said, if they were recruiting anyone we were after (or even if not) KD should swoop in on anyone we like.  Most recruits don't stick with a school if the Coach that recruited them is fired.  Anyone know who St. J had previously signed?

3/19/2019 12:09 pm  #3

I'd be fine if Charlie Brown left their program.  :-)

3/19/2019 2:17 pm  #4

townsonkid wrote:

I'd be fine if Charlie Brown left their program.  :-)

There's a poster over on the A10 board who's wanted Phil out for years. He's got to be orgasmic over this.

3/19/2019 4:37 pm  #5

Its a what have you done for me lately kind of job.I think the folks at St Joes looked at him as a old man and 
wanted to trade him in for a 30 something ,high energy looking guy who looks good in a expensive suit.Sort of like a game show host TV character.

3/19/2019 5:31 pm  #6

A healthy full stock team would have won it all, and strong enough to make another run in the NCAA.  I guess all his success does not buy him a mulligan for playing with a decimated squad.  Instead of naming the court after him they are giving him the boot.  I don't get it.

3/19/2019 6:32 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

A healthy full stock team would have won it all, and strong enough to make another run in the NCAA.  I guess all his success does not buy him a mulligan for playing with a decimated squad.  Instead of naming the court after him they are giving him the boot.  I don't get it.

He's been under .500 the last 3 years, and they really haven't done much since Jameer. Eventually, what you did 15 years ago doesn't matter. Even Chuck Noll got eased out when the Steelers became a loser.

3/19/2019 7:21 pm  #8

We don't know his relationship with the wealthy donors and the administration. 
You antagonize them and not win enough games
you are gone regardless of early successes.

3/19/2019 8:50 pm  #9

Econ69 wrote:

We don't know his relationship with the wealthy donors and the administration. 
You antagonize them and not win enough games
you are gone regardless of early successes.

Martelli was loved by the people at St. Joe's. It's strictly a case of not winning much lately. You have to be careful not to let what we think of as success color your view of other schools. Martelli's recent record looks decent to a loser like Duquesne has been. His record was unacceptable to a program used to winning. Fans have been calling for a change.

3/19/2019 8:53 pm  #10

stew wrote:

Its a what have you done for me lately kind of job.I think the folks at St Joes looked at him as a old man and 
wanted to trade him in for a 30 something ,high energy looking guy who looks good in a expensive suit.Sort of like a game show host TV character.

Based on this theory Dambrot better win within the next two years😁

3/19/2019 9:19 pm  #11

I am worried about KD being perceived as too old, it  is a concern when the prospect asks Dambrot are you going to be my coach throughout my 4 years at Duquesne?I think KD looks good for his age but it goes against him when recruiting 17 year old kids ,other schools are going to be putting this idea into their heads.

3/19/2019 9:35 pm  #12

It is possible KD might not get us to the dance but when he leaves Duquesne he will have made this job
much more attractive to the next coach who comes in here.Duquesne needs to be consistently persistent
in their commitment . If Duquesne funds the program and has the good leadership in place we will be in good
shape .Keep your eye on the prize and we will get there.

3/19/2019 9:46 pm  #13

I am looking at this team in 2 years to get us in the tournament, but you got to deal with injuries,constant
 possibilities of transfers due to lack of playing time.It is tough being a mid major program, very small window.

3/19/2019 10:00 pm  #14

Definitely a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately situation. But in his 24 years, St. Joe's made:

-7 NCAA appearances, including reaching the Elite 8 one year and Sweet 16 another
-6 NIT appearances, including two NIT championship games

Compare that to our 1 NIT and 3 CBI appearances in the same timeframe. He was 21-7, including 3-0 in the A10 tourney, against the Dukes. 

3/19/2019 10:40 pm  #15

DennisC91 wrote:

Definitely a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately situation. But in his 24 years, St. Joe's made:

-7 NCAA appearances, including reaching the Elite 8 one year and Sweet 16 another
-6 NIT appearances, including two NIT championship games

Compare that to our 1 NIT and 3 CBI appearances in the same timeframe. He was 21-7, including 3-0 in the A10 tourney, against the Dukes. 

St. Joe's has been to the tournament twice in the last 11 years. They haven't cracked the Top 25 in 15 years. That gets you fired at schools that take basketball seriously. The 12 seasons before that, they reached the NCAAs 5 times, and were ranked during 5 of those seasons. That's likely the level they expected him to stay at, or at least close, and he didn't do it. No successful program cares about the NIT.

3/20/2019 8:20 am  #16

duq81 wrote:

[St. Joe's has been to the tournament twice in the last 11 years. They haven't cracked the Top 25 in 15 years. That gets you fired at schools that take basketball seriously. The 12 seasons before that, they reached the NCAAs 5 times, and were ranked during 5 of those seasons. That's likely the level they expected him to stay at, or at least close, and he didn't do it. No successful program cares about the NIT.

Fair point, '81. If their goal is to be the Gonzaga of the east, they've certainly fallen well short of that in more recent years. Just the same, I sure wouldn't mind to see this kind of mediocrity at Duquesne. As you may be aware, St. Joe's, as well as LaSalle, have been hit hard by falling enrollments and resulting budget cuts over the past decade. The last numbers I saw had them ranked 9th and 12th respectively in the A10 for basketball budgets. I would think George Mason has since leapfrogged St. Joe's. Budgets aren't everything--Davidson and Bonaventure do just fine while being outspent by the rest of the conference--but I think Martelli's successor will have his work cut out for him trying to even duplicate, never mind beat Martelli's record. I don't see St. Joe's as being in a great place institutionally right now. It's good for Duquesne in any case. 

3/20/2019 2:42 pm  #17

DennisC91 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

[St. Joe's has been to the tournament twice in the last 11 years. They haven't cracked the Top 25 in 15 years. That gets you fired at schools that take basketball seriously. The 12 seasons before that, they reached the NCAAs 5 times, and were ranked during 5 of those seasons. That's likely the level they expected him to stay at, or at least close, and he didn't do it. No successful program cares about the NIT.

Fair point, '81. If their goal is to be the Gonzaga of the east, they've certainly fallen well short of that in more recent years. Just the same, I sure wouldn't mind to see this kind of mediocrity at Duquesne. As you may be aware, St. Joe's, as well as LaSalle, have been hit hard by falling enrollments and resulting budget cuts over the past decade. The last numbers I saw had them ranked 9th and 12th respectively in the A10 for basketball budgets. I would think George Mason has since leapfrogged St. Joe's. Budgets aren't everything--Davidson and Bonaventure do just fine while being outspent by the rest of the conference--but I think Martelli's successor will have his work cut out for him trying to even duplicate, never mind beat Martelli's record. I don't see St. Joe's as being in a great place institutionally right now. It's good for Duquesne in any case. 

Think of John Cinicola, and Mike Rice. They weren't horrible, but they were judged against Red Manning, where they both came up short because we had won at a high level under Manning, and expected to get back there. Those records, had they taken place in the current era, probably gets both of them a couple more years at minimum. Late Phil got judges against early Phil, and didn't measure up. LaSalle took a coach off of Nova's staff, and he had a promising first year. Maybe St. Joe's will do the same.

3/20/2019 4:43 pm  #18

Just for old time's sake.

Board footera