Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2019 4:04 pm  #1

What can be controlled

I haven't posted much this year, but I have been watching from afar.  I feel  good about the coach, team and direction.  It's hard for freshman and sophomores to win at this level, let alone the next level.  What about that next level - the tournament.  Watching the NCAAs one thing sticks out - has always stuck out - those guys are strong.  Duquesne as of now is not strong, but that's to be expected from freshman, etc.   Now - right now, today, is the day to turn that around.  It happened to me one summer: I went from 6'4" 180, and a terrible player, to 6'4" 230, good enough to run with the pros and not embarrass myself.  Of course I was 24 by then and didn't take basketball too seriously as a life goal.  But it was fun for a few years.  Anyway...gaining size and strength made the game much much easier.  How did I do it?  Well, here's where Coach D gets off the line, and I don't blame him.  I got stronger because of beer.  Beer every night.  Not too much, just enough.  Oh, and also, I got a job in a steel mill.  I carried forty pound pieces of steel eight hours a day, five days a week...and then had a couple beers.  No plan to get stronger, just got stronger; and the stronger I got the easier basketball became.  Amazing, eh?   Maybe some of you players are reading this, so I'll downplay the beer.  You guys have dieticians, I expect, they can substitute something for beer.  But lifting eight hours a day, that I recommend.  For instance, Eric, you're listed at 205; give 225 a shot - all muscle.  I guarantee those trips to the rim will get much easier.  Gavin, same for you.  Mike Hughes - no beer for you!  Dylan, just a sip or two.  The simple message herein to all you players is: get stronger, much stronger, and this is the summer to do it!  To the rest of us long-sufferers, I suggest going easy on the beer; and that does not mean its OK to turn to booze.   Beer-wise apologies to Coach D, but please turn these slight fellows into muscular,  powerful, robust, solid, strapping, brawny, burly, hulking men.

3/25/2019 4:47 pm  #2

Re: What can be controlled

Mike agree these are young kids with a great upside. Someone has to inspire them to put the time in the weight room. Not dumping on the current weight coach because he probably has 10 other sports & students men & women. Someone has to take control if this program & continues to improve. Familiar with WVU weight coach & he is total crazy & rah rah. This in my opinion is the ticket for success.  Find the guy coach Dambrot how much is the price 35 -50 for the right person. Again not dumping on the current weight coach but maybe one person focus on the basketball team inspires these young men to hit the weights. If not drink Duquesne beer😁

3/25/2019 9:02 pm  #3

Single Coin

That was undoubtedly a contributing factor to the development of players in your day, Mike.

3/26/2019 8:31 am  #4

Ahhhh. The Van Bram Cafe on Van Bram - where VBC did his studying! The First Base Bar and Lounge on Fifth (where one of Richie Allen's bats was used as evidence in an assault case) Tuesday was Scotch night - 3 shots for a buck. Thursday was Jackson Koehler night - a quart for $.50. Sandroni's on Fifth (with Mrs. Sandroni always there). 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/26/2019 10:04 am  #5

"Tuesday was Scotch night - 3 shots for a buck" ..... Look-out!

3/26/2019 2:21 pm  #6

Yes, I spent a night or two (thousand) by the single coin machine.   I didn't play, even as it illegally pad off.  Still, those kids up the street have to get stronger, much stronger, while they work to improve their games.  If you're a lightweight now, and come back a lightweight, you might as well go J College - BIg Five guys'll  pick their teeth with you.

And now for your entertainment pleasure a very special...

Van Bram Cafe quiz:

1/ What was Jack Piet's nickname, and how did he acquire it?  What was his favorite refreshment? (Hint: not alcohol.)
2/ What feat at the VBC, for players, was considered The-Sword-in-the-Stone?  After many years, two accomplished it on the same day.  Who were they?
3/ How did Mark "Rege" Wallace set himself on fire in the VBC?
4/ Who invented the pitcher of gin and tonic at the VBC?   Who drank the most?
5/ What was the name of the loud mouth local felon who drank at the VBC?  What was the name of his loud mouth buddy, the cop?
6/ What ex NFL great punched that teddy bear TEKE football player, and why?
7/ What was the name of a player's future wife which was included in the teams' classic, private fight song?  (Hint "Ring ging...")
8/ After the long ago VBC bus trip to Cleveland to watch the Steelers v. Browns, what  public political figure apologized internationally for our behavior?
9/  Who was the worst offender(s) on that trip: Jack Wojdowski, Billy Zoph, Richard Carlberg or the Nelsons?
Please answer as to whom an why you choose.

Winners will receive a $10,000 dollar prize.  Simply contact my assistant, Sarah Huckabee Sanders c/o the White House.
Thank you.

3/26/2019 2:41 pm  #7

I was not a regular, but that cop was a real piece of work. Kept an oversize coat by the door so he could sit and drink at the bar while on duty. 

3/26/2019 4:29 pm  #8

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Yes, I spent a night or two (thousand) by the single coin machine.   I didn't play, even as it illegally pad off.  Still, those kids up the street have to get stronger, much stronger, while they work to improve their games.  If you're a lightweight now, and come back a lightweight, you might as well go J College - BIg Five guys'll  pick their teeth with you.

And now for your entertainment pleasure a very special...

Van Bram Cafe quiz:

1/ What was Jack Piet's nickname, and how did he acquire it?  Bad Pan or The Pan, no idea where it came from  What was his favorite refreshment? (Hint: not alcohol.)  
2/ What feat at the VBC, for players, was considered The-Sword-in-the-Stone? Touching the ceiling. After many years, two accomplished it on the same day.  Who were they?  Slick & Train
3/ How did Mark "Rege" Wallace set himself on fire in the VBC?
4/ Who invented the pitcher of gin and tonic at the VBC?   Who drank the most?  Me
5/ What was the name of the loud mouth local felon who drank at the VBC?  Louie DelMastro What was the name of his loud mouth buddy, the cop? Lanny Pilardi
6/ What ex NFL great punched that teddy bear TEKE football player, and why?
7/ What was the name of a player's future wife which was included in the teams' classic, private fight song?  (Hint "Ring ging...")
8/ After the long ago VBC bus trip to Cleveland to watch the Steelers v. Browns, what  public political figure apologized internationally for our behavior?
9/  Who was the worst offender(s) on that trip: Jack Wojdowski, Billy Zoph, Richard Carlberg or the Nelsons?
Please answer as to whom an why you choose.

Winners will receive a $10,000 dollar prize.  Simply contact my assistant, Sarah Huckabee Sanders c/o the White House.
Thank you.

I can take a shot at a few of those.

And I'll add one of my own, Mike.  I'll be very disappomited if you don't get this.  Who were the 2 members of the Van Bramm Hall of Fame?

Last edited by VBC (3/26/2019 5:25 pm)

3/26/2019 8:30 pm  #9

KenOTR73 wrote:

Ahhhh. The Van Bram Cafe on Van Bram - where VBC did his studying! The First Base Bar and Lounge on Fifth (where one of Richie Allen's bats was used as evidence in an assault case) Tuesday was Scotch night - 3 shots for a buck. Thursday was Jackson Koehler night - a quart for $.50. Sandroni's on Fifth (with Mrs. Sandroni always there). 

First Base was owned by Dick Allen's brother Coy. My dad tended bar there from the time I was about 11, until my freshman year at Duquesne, and I was in there many times (not drinking, way too young). That was a crazy area. I remember meeting guys who I now know were obviously mobsters, including one newly arrived from Sicily. I remember quite a few Jewish guys who lived In other areas, but had been raised on the Hill, and had the streets in their blood and couldn't stay away. There was a place called the Corned Beef Kitchen, that sold delicious corned beef on Fifth Avenue.

3/27/2019 7:40 am  #10

I feel like I really missed something by being a commuter during my time at DU.  While I spent hours at school from early morning to well into the night often, most of my friends were commuters.  We knew about and frequented Franks and a few others but I knew nothing about VBC.  Of course, that could have just been me - but I'm sorry I missed the experience after reading all this. 

3/27/2019 8:10 am  #11

The former Steeler who also played for the Washington Redskins was Myron Pottios.  I wasn't present when this happened but as I heard from witnesses, Mickey Lebret who was a rolly poly guy who was a  TEKE that played for the DU Club Football Team, and a big NY Giants fan.  Apparently he was nagging Pottios about the Giants and Pottios just had enough and punched him.  Then of course the real Mike Ignelsi had to give Pottios the "bum shuffle" and throw him out of the VBC for starting a fight. 

3/27/2019 12:33 pm  #12

The VBC sounds amazing but was not around during my time there. Though I did live on Van Braam (42 Van Braam, one block towards blvd of the allies from Forbes). 

I had Milano's, Cafe Fifth, and - just one time - a trip to Aces Deuces Lounge. 

3/27/2019 1:12 pm  #13

Ifky 07 wrote:

The VBC sounds amazing but was not around during my time there. Though I did live on Van Braam (42 Van Braam, one block towards blvd of the allies from Forbes). 

I had Milano's, Cafe Fifth, and - just one time - a trip to Aces Deuces Lounge. 

Aces Deuces, or as it's called in the hood, The Acey Deucy, has been there forever. Usually, when a place like that stays open for decades, they've been able to keep the nonsense to a reasonable level.

3/31/2019 7:15 pm  #14

The "Pan" was right.  Norman first touched the ceiling, but was followed closely by recruit Jose Campaign.   Sue Wojdowski was mentioned in our fight song.  Rege short-armed a flaming shot of 151 rum.  Yes Den, Mickey Labret was the victim of Myron Potios.  I invented the pitcher of gin and tonic; Gumby drank the most.  Richard Carlburg was the worst offender on our VBC bus trip to the Steelers v Browns.  I shall not say how.  Secretary of State Henry Kissinger apologized to Russia for our behavior.  After being thrown out of the game for inciting a riot, many of our company boarded a Russian freighter docked in Cleveland harbor.  They -  Russian sailors - asked for it as we passed below.  And they - the then Commies - got it, via a full Nelson Brothers face full.  I saw Russian teeth his Lake Erie.  Sorry Henry.  Some day I'll resend my detailed account of the affair if you'd like.

Board footera