Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2014 8:45 am  #1

New radio home for the Dukes

Duquesne and Learfield Sports announced today that ESPN 970 and 3WS 94.5 HD2 will be the new radio home of the Dukes.

Games on 3WS HD2 can only be heard on digital radio or I Heart Radio app

Announcement on Duquesne's website.

Last edited by duqkurt (8/23/2014 8:37 pm)

8/22/2014 8:56 am  #2

Re: New radio home for the Dukes

It will be interesting to see what happens with RMU sports to see what this deal means. It sounds like the primary home will be ESPN970, which was the home of RMU. Will they stay on 970 as well?

Or will they take DU's spot on one of Clear Channels FM stations. They said spill over games will be heard on 1320. We get bumped to 1320 when they carry a RMU game?

I can't judge this radio deal until we see where RMU lands. But DU has slipped to a weaker over the air radio signal for local listeners without HD radio.

Last edited by duqkurt (8/22/2014 9:25 am)

8/22/2014 9:11 am  #3

RMU signed a three year deal with ESPN 970 last year through 2015-2016. So we will either be sharing 970 with DU being bumped to 1320 when conflicts occur. Or RMU will be getting a Clear Channels FM station.

Last edited by duqkurt (8/22/2014 11:29 am)

8/22/2014 11:13 am  #4

Since I listen to the games over the Internet, I can't judge. But I hope local fans can still hear the games.

8/22/2014 11:28 am  #5

The press release doesn't say anything about internet webcasts.

8/22/2014 3:25 pm  #6

You mentioned satellite ... anything on Sirius? Would be cool to pick up games while driving.

8/22/2014 3:58 pm  #7

They refer to digital radio.  I don't have Sirius or digital radio.

I corrected above post.   They don't refer to satellite radio but digital.   Not sure what the difference is. 

They also refer to terrestrial radio. I know that is regular over the air radio.

Personally I think the press release is as clear as mud. The games will be on 970 or 94.5HD2.  Or they may be on 1320.   Two of the three options I can get.   Although it has to be a clear night for me to get 970 at my house.

Last edited by duqkurt (8/22/2014 4:07 pm)

8/23/2014 7:39 pm  #8

Dukes getting short end of the radio wave in this deal.

8/24/2014 11:29 am  #9

I sent an email to the woman on the DU website from Duquesne Sports Properties asking for an explanation.   If I get one I will post it. 

On the face of it, it certainly appears we have been displaced by RMU as the number 2 college sports property in the city.  But I don't know the details. 

Especially if they move to an FM station or our games are bumped for their games.

8/25/2014 1:15 pm  #10

My guess that Robert Morris may receive priority of broadcast coverage of football and basketball games on ESPN 970AM over Duquesne's teams where there is a conflict is because it signed a three-year agreement in July 2013.  http://www.rmucolonials.com/news/2013/8/1/GEN_0801131304.aspx
Duquesne just signed a one-year deal.  Perhaps it's a matter of applying the old saying, "First come, first served."   The agreement with Bobby Mo may have a clause that doesn't allow the station to bump RM's broadcasts for another local college team.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (8/25/2014 2:10 pm)

8/25/2014 1:30 pm  #11

godukes1970 wrote:

My guess that Robert Morris may receive priority of broadcast coverage of football and basketball games on ESPN 970AM over Duquesne's teams where there is a conflict is because it signed a three-year agreement in July 2013.  http://www.rmucolonials.com/news/2013/8/1/GEN_0801131304.aspx
Duquesne just signed a one-year deal.  Perhaps its a matter of applying the old saying, "First come, first served."   The agreement with Bobby Mo may have a clause that doesn't allow the station to bump RM's broadcasts for another local college team.  

That is what I believe as well, and that clearly puts DU as the third sports property in this town.  

The Learfield sports contact said she didnt have a clear answer yet.   I hope she gets an answer by Saturday, that is the first football game.  There is no link on DU's website to any radio broadcast for Saturday's game. 

I am trying to be as matter of fact as possible, but isn't this what Learfield Sports specializes in?   Why are we paying someone for a contract with coverage that is confusing at best and poor at worst? 

I also thinks that this takes Redzone media streaming out of the equation, since it will be streamed on I Heart Radio.     The whole thing is still as clear as mud to me.  

I'm sorry but that contract sucks.   And I don't want to start the who is Number 2 debate again, but more evidence that the answer is RMU.   It is hard to defend the position of Number 2 when your games are going to be bumped from the radio for their games.   And don't try to spin it to me in a press release what a great contract it is.  Clearly Duquesne does not have a radio home.   Clearly some sort of mish-mash of two small AM stations and one HD digital station.  

There never should have been a press release until they had all the details worked out.   Duquesne's athletic department at its finest again.       

Last edited by duqkurt (8/25/2014 2:22 pm)

8/25/2014 2:30 pm  #12

I'm guessing that we basically got screwed by the format change at 104.7, and that we were left scrambling at this late date. My guess is that we probably could have gotten the deal that Bobby Mo has a few years back, but that we prefered to be on an FM station with a much stronger signal. When 104.7 went country, we were basically screwed. It's not like we could bump Bobby Mo from their station, and I doubt that any other stations were lining up for Duquesne hoops. My guess is that the ratings on 104.7 were terrible, so why would any FM station want to bump their regular programing for us. There are only a few AM stations that don't have to operate at reduced power at night, so the pickings were pretty slim.

8/25/2014 2:40 pm  #13

duq81 wrote:

I'm guessing that we basically got screwed by the format change at 104.7, and that we were left scrambling at this late date. My guess is that we probably could have gotten the deal that Bobby Mo has a few years back, but that we prefered to be on an FM station with a much stronger signal. When 104.7 went country, we were basically screwed. It's not like we could bump Bobby Mo from their station, and I doubt that any other stations were lining up for Duquesne hoops. My guess is that the ratings on 104.7 were terrible, so why would any FM station want to bump their regular programing for us. There are only a few AM stations that don't have to operate at reduced power at night, so the pickings were pretty slim.

Not to argue, but the 104.7 format change to country has been a rumor for well ever a year.  It was just when Clear Channel decided to make the switch.   If they were caught unaware of this, then that is Duquesne's and Learfield's own fault.     They should have seen this coming last year and not entered into the 104.7 one year deal then.    

8/25/2014 2:45 pm  #14

duqkurt wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

Duquesne just signed a one-year deal.  Perhaps its a matter of applying the old saying, "First come, first served."   The agreement with Bobby Mo may have a clause that doesn't allow the station to bump RM's broadcasts for another local college team.  

That is what I believe as well, and that clearly puts DU as the third sports property in this town.  

The Learfield sports contact said she didnt have a clear answer yet.   I hope she gets an answer by Saturday, that is the first football game.  There is no link on DU's website to any radio broadcast for Saturday's game. 

I am trying to be as matter of fact as possible, but isn't this what Learfield Sports specializes in?   Why are we paying someone for a contract with coverage that is confusing at best and poor at worst? 

I also thinks that this takes Redzone media streaming out of the equation, since it will be streamed on I Heart Radio.     The whole thing is still as clear as mud to me.  

I'm sorry but that contract sucks.   And I don't want to start the who is Number 2 debate again, but more evidence that the answer is RMU.   It is hard to defend the position of Number 2 when your games are going to be bumped from the radio for their games.   And don't try to spin it to me in a press release what a great contract it is. 

There never should have been a press release until they had all the details worked out.   Duquesne's athletic department at its finest again.       

There does appear to be a bit of confusion on the part Learfield.  However, there should be no confusion on the broadcast of the football games since both the Dukes' and the Patriots' schedules are known.  That info should have been included with the original announcement of the new arrangement with Clear Channel. 

Rearding the video broacast of Saturday afternoon's game, I believe that I will be able to watch the broadcast of the Dukes-Buffalo football game on ESPN3 on my computer as a benefit of being a Comcast subscriber

8/25/2014 3:42 pm  #15

Amodio was hired as a marketing expert rom Xavier.  Last year, DU signed over the marketing to Learfield Sports (actually another company that Learfield bought)

Last week a press release was put out explaining the great new radio contract. 

There is a football game on Saturday and no one yet at Duquesne can tell me what radio station if any the game will be on. 

Typical Duquesne.  I would promise to shut up about this but the fact that someone who wants to follow the  team can't get a simple answer to a simple question is maddening to me.

The game is five days away.

Last edited by duqkurt (8/25/2014 3:47 pm)

8/27/2014 12:36 pm  #16

The football game is on 970ESPN on Saturday as RMU plays a Tuesday game.   It is up on the website today if any one cares. 

9/01/2014 7:38 am  #17

Looks like next year's option will be campus radio or WESA.

9/01/2014 8:25 pm  #18

And so the logical conclusion is that DUKURT should be the A.D. and Rittersdinner should have Bob Derda's job.  Now there's a pair that would beat a full house any day.  Guys, get a life that goes on wthout Complaining.  I get tired of coming to this board and seeing crepe hanging, absolute negativism and just plain childish ranting.  Go to the friggin' games so you wont have to channel surf your way through the radio/website litany of local schools who are ahead of  the Dukes.

9/01/2014 9:00 pm  #19

No personal attacks please. I don't want to delete posts because people can't behave. People are entitled to have opinions especially if something develops that can adversely affect their ability to enjoy the games. No one suggested replacing Amodio or Derda, but as I stated in a previous post, it wouldn't hurt if either of those guys returned an email when an alumnus reaches out to them.

9/02/2014 7:52 am  #20

I deleted the post that upset Gram Mudder.   I dont want to get into it.   And FYI, I do go to some games but not to all games.   When they give me a reason to buy season tickets again I will. 

And Duquesne plays other events called road games. 

Last edited by duqkurt (9/02/2014 8:37 am)

9/02/2014 9:28 am  #21

grammudder wrote:

And so the logical conclusion is that DUKURT should be the A.D. and Rittersdinner should have Bob Derda's job.  Now there's a pair that would beat a full house any day.  Guys, get a life that goes on wthout Complaining.  I get tired of coming to this board and seeing crepe hanging, absolute negativism and just plain childish ranting.  Go to the friggin' games so you wont have to channel surf your way through the radio/website litany of local schools who are ahead of  the Dukes.

Typical Amodio apologist.  You can't attack the argument so you attack the person.  I am sorry to see that Dukurt deleted his post because of your bullying.  It was a good post and tells it like it is.  I am also tired of hearing you Complain about the posters here.  Instead of coming here to Complain about, and bully, the posters who care about the program and tell the truth, stick with the kool aid board and enjoy blaming everthing on Everhart.

Last edited by CLK (9/02/2014 10:12 am)

9/02/2014 10:50 am  #22

CLK, if you check my posts and wish to be fair to the facts, you will see that I only Complain about the crepe hangers, the negativists and the childish ranters.  Someone's got to do it when fourteen posts of venom about the radio rights go unanswered.  Do you and your readers really think there are that many people who listen to the radio of Duquesne sports events, Robert Morris sports events or  the Lady Pitt Panthers so that priority ever rises to a legitimate level of an issue to carp on?  To make your life and the other naysayers happy I shall exit right and gladly partake of the nectar of the gods!  As my favorite Pittsburgh journalist would say "Bye Now!!"

9/02/2014 11:12 am  #23

grammudder wrote:

CLK, if you check my posts and wish to be fair to the facts, you will see that I only Complain about the crepe hangers, the negativists and the childish ranters.  Someone's got to do it when fourteen posts of venom about the radio rights go unanswered.  Do you and your readers really think there are that many people who listen to the radio of Duquesne sports events, Robert Morris sports events or  the Lady Pitt Panthers so that priority ever rises to a legitimate level of an issue to carp on?  To make your life and the other naysayers happy I shall exit right and gladly partake of the nectar of the gods!  As my favorite Pittsburgh journalist would say "Bye Now!!"

Labeling me as someone who is constantly negative is just plain wrong. In fact since last bb season I have rarely posted at all. I made one snarky remark about the OOC schedule. I started posts congratulating the volleyball team for winning the A10.

And if you reread my posts on the thread the beginning posts were explaining the deal.

The reason I am so angry about this is the Learfield sports contact can't or won't tell me who gets bumped for what. And as late as Tuesday of last week, they didn't know what station the football game would be on. I think if you put out a press release on the topic, you should be able to speak about the topic. IMO.

Also, I do listen to the radio. I attended 3 football games and listened to rest on 1320. The football game this weekend vs. YSU I will not be able to listen to since it is on digital radio. It is summer, so I'm not going to hole myself up in my home office listening on the internet.

So they have lost me as a listener for this week at least.

I don't know why people think we should have to accept consistently lower profile.

Last edited by duqkurt (9/02/2014 12:13 pm)

9/02/2014 11:43 am  #24

Kurt you have raised great points in this thread and ask some hard questions.  Anyone who reads this thread, and does not have their lips on Amodio's butt, would realize that.  You are not negative, just telling it like it is and asking why. 

Last edited by CLK (9/02/2014 11:47 am)

9/02/2014 12:06 pm  #25

Thanks CLK.   It was not my intention to start any fights. 

Board footera