Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2015 1:52 pm  #1

6/15/2015 3:23 pm  #2

Re: Ireland trip

Actually, the story is incorrect. The Dukes took a trip in 2011 as well.

That said, I'm very happy they made this happen. I've been calling for this since last year. You can only do this once every 4 years, and this is the perfect time for this.

6/16/2015 2:53 pm  #3

Jim Ferry discusses Ireland tripWritten by Craig Meyer on Tuesday, 16 June 2015

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/college/dukes-dispatches/44405-jim-ferry-discusses-ireland-trip

6/16/2015 5:55 pm  #4

If I have to read one more article where Ferry brags about having "stabilized" the program I'm gonna scream.  It's a slap in the face to his precedessor.  Seems to me that Ferry's lost some players, too---by my count, 6 in 3 years, not counting guys that he asked to leave.  Maybe some of 'em weren't big losses, but even so, it's not an indication of stability.

6/16/2015 6:27 pm  #5

With 500-600 transfers a year across the country, the staggering numbers have become close to 2 per school on average. I think that's more of an indication of the instant gratification that a lot of players want immediately upon arrival.

I would say that returning 8 scholarship players who played last year (and 2 who sat out and practiced) would be considered being stabilized.

After 3 years I don't think that is a shot at anyone, but more a reality of the difficult transition a program often makes when it changes coaches.

6/16/2015 9:28 pm  #6

Officer Dribble wrote:

If I have to read one more article where Ferry brags about having "stabilized" the program I'm gonna scream.  It's a slap in the face to his precedessor.  Seems to me that Ferry's lost some players, too---by my count, 6 in 3 years, not counting guys that he asked to leave.  Maybe some of 'em weren't big losses, but even so, it's not an indication of stability.

I don't really think he's talking about the program being unstable under Ron. I think firing a coach in and of itself destablizes a program. I think he trying to say that he finally has the program in the position he wants, and now it's time to start making some progress

6/17/2015 6:12 am  #7

Stability is when you return 8 players from a winning team. Otherwise you have what Casey Stengel once described this way: "We lost 100 games with 'em, and we can lose 100 games without 'em."

6/17/2015 7:26 am  #8

ElDuque wrote:

Stability is when you return 8 players from a winning team. Otherwise you have what Casey Stengel once described this way: "We lost 100 games with 'em, and we can lose 100 games without 'em."

He stole that quote from Brach Rickey. Rickey, tired of Ralph Kiner's salary demands, traded him away, famously telling him, "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you.". This was in 1953, back when Stengel was managing Yankee teams that would barely lose 100 games in 2 years.

6/17/2015 10:03 am  #9

Casey never lost 100 with the Yankess, but he sure as heck did with the '62 Mets.

6/17/2015 12:04 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

Casey never lost 100 with the Yankess, but he sure as heck did with the '62 Mets.

Oh, I know he surely did, but I was just showing the time frame to prove that Branch Rickey said it first.

6/17/2015 3:26 pm  #11

DukesFan79 wrote:

With 500-600 transfers a year across the country, the staggering numbers have become close to 2 per school on average. I think that's more of an indication of the instant gratification that a lot of players want immediately upon arrival.

I would say that returning 8 scholarship players who played last year (and 2 who sat out and practiced) would be considered being stabilized.

After 3 years I don't think that is a shot at anyone, but more a reality of the difficult transition a program often makes when it changes coaches.

Well stated Dukes Fan, I agree.

6/17/2015 9:53 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

He stole that quote from Brach Rickey. Rickey, tired of Ralph Kiner's salary demands, traded him away, famously telling him, "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you.". This was in 1953, back when Stengel was managing Yankee teams that would barely lose 100 games in 2 years.

Kiner's reply was better than Rickey's line, albeit less famous:  "So you're penalizing me for your own inability to put together a good team."

Board footera