Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2015 6:49 pm  #1

Share an Ancecdote (or Two..or Three)

No Smmer Hoops to Excite the Masses -  Figured perhaps some of the posters would like to share anecdotes about amusing things which happened over the years to them at Duquesne games.

One year I'm at Palumbo - note a pair of gentlemen taking notes etc- so at the half I walk over and ask them do you mind telling me if you're scouting Duquesne or the team we're playing that night and for whom.  One of them replies "It's Duquesne we are scouting .. we're from Rice" (Rice was still in the SWC at the time)

Talked a few minutes - asked them what kind of things they might be looking for etc - one of them tells me -  Does a team play more man to man or zone, where certain players like to shoot from  do they press etc.. 

Figured I'd give them a laugh - so I say to them "How does the atmosphere here compare to Barnhill Arena? (Was a typical night at Palumbo with the 1,500 or so rattling around)  They look at me with one of those priceless looks and one  says have you EVER BEEN TO BARNHILL (which was where Arkansas played before moving to Walton)  I said NO - but know of it's reputation (it was regarded as the second toughest place to go on the road behind Cameroon where Duke Plays)

One of them says to me -  What do YOU think of Duquesne (was the year Sean Rooney was sitting out) - I said we have one player who is pretty good don't remember who (but was injured) another player sitting out to Prop 48 so maybe we might be a little better than what they were seeing.

One of the Rice coaches says "We don't have to worry about THAT" (meaning Prop 48)

THE OTHER SAYS "BUT I WISH WE DID!!!"

Board footera