Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2015 7:27 am  #1

PG Article: Duquesne departs today for Irish exhibition tour

Ferry discusses new defense. 

"He describes his team’s new defense as a hybrid of man-to-man and zone looks. Sophomore guard Rene Castro, a Butler transfer, said the objective of the defense is to limit driving lanes to the basket and force teams to settle for difficult 2-pointers. The new strategy features elements of the pack-line defense, a scheme in which the four off-ball defenders try to eliminate penetration to the basket".

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2015/08/04/Duquesne-departs-today-for-Irish-exhibition-tour/stories/201508040031

8/04/2015 1:20 pm  #2

Re: PG Article: Duquesne departs today for Irish exhibition tour

I shouldn't do this, I shouldn't do this, I shouldn't do this, but I just can't help myself...I think I need therapy due to years of DUBBall suffering:

"After a 2014-15 season in which they were the worst statistical defense in the Atlantic 10 and among the worst defenses in all of Division I, the Dukes are using their three-game international trip to implement some defensive changes they hope can improve their fortunes for the upcoming season."  That was in the article.  I am extremely pleased that Ferry figured that out and said that a priority will be defense this year.  My question, shouldn't it be a priority every year??  Okay, back to the therapist.

Last edited by FAM (8/04/2015 1:20 pm)

8/04/2015 1:51 pm  #3

Step 1 in the rehabilitation process: Admit you have a problem. I see this as a start.

8/04/2015 2:06 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

Step 1 in the rehabilitation process: Admit you have a problem. I see this as a start.

Hi, I am Tejas and I am a Duquesne hoops fan.

Hi Tejas!  :-)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/04/2015 2:55 pm  #5

I'm not admitting to being a fan just yet. I tossed that baby out with last year's bath water. Another year of Ferry-his-way-with-no-regrets and I will be long gone before it can ever turn around.

This will be seen in some circles as me being negative. But the scenario I just posted will be good for 10 wins this year, so I won't care as the door hits me on the way out.

8/04/2015 3:07 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

I'm not admitting to being a fan just yet. I tossed that baby out with last year's bath water. Another year of Ferry-his-way-with-no-regrets and I will be long gone before it can ever turn around.

This will be seen in some circles as me being negative. But the scenario I just posted will be good for 10 wins this year, so I won't care as the door hits me on the way out.

I just don't see how they can be worse than last year. I can see them being the same; but worse, I can't see it. They lost two guys who weren't playing, and the third regressed badly last year. Just not having Domo on the free throw line ought to be good for at least one extra win.

8/04/2015 7:31 pm  #7

Well duq81, I love your optimism...we all feel the same way...just don't be worse than last year.  A couple of thoughts here.  First, Ferry was terrible in his first 4 years at LIU.  Can't see why that will change here.
Second, look where all of the A10 coaches picked Duquesne to finish this year...if lovin them is wrong I would rather...sorry, mental lapse.

8/04/2015 8:53 pm  #8

FAM wrote:

Well duq81, I love your optimism...we all feel the same way...just don't be worse than last year.  A couple of thoughts here.  First, Ferry was terrible in his first 4 years at LIU.  Can't see why that will change here.
Second, look where all of the A10 coaches picked Duquesne to finish this year...if lovin them is wrong I would rather...sorry, mental lapse.

If you can't be optimistic in August.............

Ferry actually wasn't terrible in years 3, and 4 at LIU. When you're dealing with low majors, you have to look at the league record, not overall record. Low majors frequently get killed ooc, as they usually whore themselves out as cupcakes. Ferry was 10-8, and 9-9 in years 3, and 4. Nothing great, but decent progress from where they had been. I would gladly take a 9-9 record in A10 play this year, as A10 teams don't have to serve as cupcakes, and unless they're truly horrible, will usually post a winning record ooc. I'm basing my optimism on the folowing things:
1. We didn't lose much from last year. Ridenhour was a non factor, and the team actually played better after Stevens was deep sixed. We will miss some of the things Domo could do, but he regressed last year, and the free throw shooting was at a Shaq, Wilt, Bill Russell level.
I'm not counting on any newcomer except Castro. Castro is not an undersized JC guy, like White, and Stevens were. Castro is the guy Ferry really wanted 2 years ago, not Notice, or Severe. Brad Stevens thought he was good enough to play for him. Butler was a train wreck after Stevens departure, so I don't worry too much about the problems Castro had there.
2. The team was much better down the stretch. They were 6-6 in their last dozen games. There were some stinkers in there, but there were some gems as well. All against A10 competition. The team got off to a horrible start. The bad losses were to the types of teams that Ferry showed he can beat when he was at LIU. If the Dukes were rolling over the cupcakes, but getting crushed in A10 play, I'd think that Ferry had bitten off more than he can chew. Since this is not the case, I have to think that we will soon be taking care of business against the cupcakes. Once that happens, we'll be a winner again. After that, how far we can progress against A10 competition will determine whether Ferry will top out in the same neighborhood where Ron resided, or if he can reach the much talked about, "next level". He needs to give us something to hold onto this season. 17 wins is reachable, barring major injuries. All it would take, is 9-4 ooc, 7-11 in A10 play, and 1-1 in Brooklyn. Those are very modest goals. I actually think they can do a bit better. I'm calling it now, 19-15, with a second win in Brooklyn for win 19. Get a win in the CBI, and it's 20 wins.

OK, you can call the "nice young men, in their clean white coats".  (you need to be at least 55 to get the joke)

8/05/2015 6:53 am  #9

I just don't think we have the talent to win now, on the court or behind the bench. Colter and Mason are serviceable (Mason regressed last year too .... Hmmm, pattern?), Castro is still an unknown. Ferry also wanted White and Stevens. We still haven't developed a big man in Ferry's three years.

Even if Castro is a stud, you know he won't take minutes from the three seniors. So you'll have a jump shooting Gill and four guards, and when the bad shots aren't falling, good night Irene.

Board footera