Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/28/2015 11:07 am  #1

Harper Talks Facilities

Duquesne notebook: New AD talks facilities

By ZACHARY WEISS

When you ask Duquesne men’s basketball coach Jim Ferry about his program, he will talk about this being a crucial season.

David Harper enters as new athletic director during a time when Ferry’s team is expected to be strong. His program will be analyzed now more than ever before.

“He knows the league, he knows what it takes to be successful in the league, he knows where Duquesne’s been in the league in regards to budgets, charters and all of that,” Ferry said of his new boss, who comes to town from Atlantic 10 rival Dayton. “I think it’s very exciting to have someone like him aboard.”

Facility quality continues to come into question among Duquesne supporters, and Harper knows that finding a solution involves many considerations.

“You have the fans, you have the shared usage from multiple teams and there’s also the aspect of what is the ‘yellow brick road’ for a recruit?” Harper said. “When a recruit comes through there, what are they seeing, what is the experience, what will they experience during game day? We have to build a plan, assess the facility and figure out what the athletics department needs to do, in combination with the administration, to make sure that court becomes one of the toughest courts to play on in the Atlantic 10.”

Harper has consistently been labeled as a Dayton guy, especially in reference to how close he was to their basketball program. He says the so-called ‘Dayton Model’ is not something that will necessarily transfer over to Duquesne.

“What we have to build is a shared vision among the university, board of directors, athletics administration and the academic community of what we want to do with men’s basketball,” said Harper. “There really is a collective will to succeed. It’s just a matter of building a plan, unifying that vision and then making sure we execute what that vision entails. We’re going to have to be very good with building that plan, describing our vision and having those people invest and have confidence in us to move forward. That’s something I think we can do as a team.”

Now more than ever, especially with men’s basketball, there is a sense of urgency. Harper knows it and expressed his excitement to get started.

“You can’t sit back and look at things for a long period of time, and you have to act,” Harper said. “At Duquesne, we’re going to have to be able to sprint and think at the same time. Planning does not mean a long period of time, it means doing the purposeful thinking and how you can compete at a higher level. I sense among the Duquesne constituents, the board, the president, everybody, that it’s time. It’s time to act, and it’s time to execute.”

9/28/2015 2:19 pm  #2

Re: Harper Talks Facilities

I like the sentiment of everyone being on the same page.  But what honestly can be done with Palumbo?

I can think of two things.  Gutting the lower level and making a wrap around bowl. (Which will basically say all the money they spent putting in seats in lower bowl will be tossed out.  Lots of wasted space in the corners. Should have been done that way to begin with).

Also, building suspended camera platforms so you don't have to take out seats for tv cameras. 

Short of tearing it down, playing at Consol for a year and building a new one, nothing else can be done.  I would love to see it torn down, but I'm realistic that won't happen in my lifetime.

9/29/2015 6:11 am  #3

Hey 79, point of Parliamentary Procedure: I know DK on Sports is a subscription site and posting a link might seem silly if anyone doesn't subscribe, but please remember to add the link and attribute the info next time. We don't want to have the board zinged because we're not doing the right stuff here, and we want to protect the copyright owned by the source.

That said, it's nice to have a steady, consistent source for content and analysis about Duquesne basketball. P-G and Trib cover news and there are bloggers who post opinions, but this is the first true source of content. E.g., actual interviews taking place and real information, not rose colored glasses.

If you don't subscribe, I recommend it. I read DK FIRST every morning. I appreciate what the newspapers do, but this is different. It's good stuff.

9/29/2015 3:29 pm  #4

DukesFan79 I am glad that Finally feels a sense of urgency.  There are no excuse for a losing season this year. None.  As for facilities, while I agree that more needs to be done, I hope this is not being a set up as to why Ferry can't be successful here (another excuse). Facilities have nothing to do with teaching his teams how to play defense, however, coaching and motivating his players does. Better facilities may play into DU recruiting better player, however, it is interesting to note that everyone of his three early recruits said that one of the reasons they chose DU were the facilities.  If that is the case, did he under recruit in the early period ?  I don't think so bases on what I can see all three look like they can be very good A10 players.  I am just tired of hearing Ferry make excses.  Time to start winning!  

Last edited by CLK (9/29/2015 3:30 pm)

9/29/2015 5:01 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

Hey 79, point of Parliamentary Procedure: I know DK on Sports is a subscription site and posting a link might seem silly if anyone doesn't subscribe, but please remember to add the link and attribute the info next time. We don't want to have the board zinged because we're not doing the right stuff here, and we want to protect the copyright owned by the source.

That said, it's nice to have a steady, consistent source for content and analysis about Duquesne basketball. P-G and Trib cover news and there are bloggers who post opinions, but this is the first true source of content. E.g., actual interviews taking place and real information, not rose colored glasses.

If you don't subscribe, I recommend it. I read DK FIRST every morning. I appreciate what the newspapers do, but this is different. It's good stuff.

Thank you for bringing up the link issue.  I've known Zac for a few years and he's dedicated to covering Duquesne sports as well as he can and he deserves full credit for everything, including page hits to DK's site.  I was about to say something myself but scrolled through the early replies and saw yours.  

9/30/2015 6:18 am  #6

Like all of Dejan's team, Zac is doing an awesome job. Info appears on DK long before you see it anywhere else.

10/24/2015 3:41 pm  #7

I appreciate the positive feedback on the piece and yes, of course please link the post in the future, just to be fair to the site. I understand the paywall can cause frustrations and have heard that from others, however I would appreciate the link in the future.

As for the piece, look for conversations between me and David Harper once a month moving forward.

10/25/2015 2:28 pm  #8

duqkurt wrote:

I like the sentiment of everyone being on the same page.  But what honestly can be done with Palumbo?.

I still find this hilarious, almost 30 years to the day I matriculated at DU, they broke the ground for the Palumbo Center, saying we needed to get out of the big, empty arena and into our own cozy, campus venue.

And now, everyone says this venue is inadequate and we need more games in the big arena.

I swear the people in charge of DU athletics over the last three decades couldn't get laid in a monkey brothel with an arm load of bananas.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/25/2015 3:49 pm  #9

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

I like the sentiment of everyone being on the same page. But what honestly can be done with Palumbo?.

I still find this hilarious, almost 30 years to the day I matriculated at DU, they broke the ground for the Palumbo Center, saying we needed to get out of the big, empty arena and into our own cozy, campus venue.

And now, everyone says this venue is inadequate and we need more games in the big arena.

I swear the people in charge of DU athletics over the last three decades couldn't get laid in a monkey brothel with an arm load of bananas.

It's an arms race Tejas. Palumbo was decent in 1988, it's a joke now. Pitt was playing in the Field House back then, and the Civic Arena was a dump. UMass was playing in Curry Hicks Cage. For a team at our level, you'd like to have a really nice place that seats about 8,000. Of course you would need a Top 40 type team to fill it. Fans in Pittsburgh won't come out for anything less. Even when Ron was here, my friends who weren't DU alums laughed at the Dukes, and considered them a joke, and had no interest in following the team. "Call me when they get a good team" is what they said. A good team meaning ranked, or at least being good enough to earn an at-large bid to the NCAA's. If we ever reach that level, you won't hear much griping about Palumbo, because the place will be filled, with the biggest games being played in front of 10,000+ at the Consol. Until then......................................

Board footera