Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2015 10:20 am  #1

Get on the record

A friend of mine informed me that organized practices per NCAA rules actually started last weekend.  Not sure how that works any more, but in any event it is time to officially get on the record for your predictions for the season at hand.  I would hope that all of you will express you opinion (even the occasional posters) so we can get a sense of expectation levels.

I believe that this is a break out year for the Dukes.  With three senior starters anything less than 17 wins (which is my prediction) will be a major disappointment.  There really are no excuses not to win.  The Dukes have more depth, more experience, the early start with the foreign tour, and I think the new 30 second clock helps the Dukes in their fast pace offense.  I realize that Ferry has given no indication that he can teach defense, or be a very good game day coach, but given his own words he is making defense a priority. Maybe enough to win some of those close games we lost last year like the one below.   We will see.  That is my prediction. 

Some thing to get you thinking about the season.

Last edited by CLK (10/06/2015 10:29 am)

10/06/2015 12:27 pm  #2

Re: Get on the record

Did I mention that the person or persons who accurately predicts the Dukes final regular season record receives a two night stay in beautiful downtown Duquesne, Pa?
Travel, meals, security, and hotel accomadation not included. Management accepts no resposibility for the safety or security of the lucky winner of this prize.

10/06/2015 1:24 pm  #3

CLK wrote:

Did I mention that the person or persons who accurately predicts the Dukes final regular season record receives a two night stay in beautiful downtown Duquesne, Pa?
Travel, meals, security, and hotel accomadation not included. Management accepts no resposibility for the safety or security of the lucky winner of this prize.

LOL!

CLK, we're pretty much in agreement here. I'm looking for 18 wins. 9-4 ooc, 8-10 in A10 play, with one win in Brooklyn. I actually think they can do better if they stay healthy, My optimistic prediction is 10-3 ooc, 9-9 in A10 play, with 2 wins in Brooklyn. That would be a 20-13 record, which would be the best since the NIT season. Other than getting crushed by injuries, there is no excuse for this not to be a competitive team. Most of the magazines have us picked 9th, which means they expect us to be decent, so it won't be a shock if we're a bit better than that.

10/06/2015 2:44 pm  #4

Seton Hill - W
New Orleans - W
Penn State - W
Pepperdine - L
Murray State/Milwaukee - L
WK/Drake/CMU/WS - W
Mississippi Valley State - W
Pitt - L
UMBC - W
SFPA - W
RMU - W
GT - L
--------
8-4
--------

Dayton - W
@Davidson - L
@GW - L
SLU - W
BONA - W
@VCU - L
@GMU - W
LaSalle - W
@SLU - W
Davidson - L
@Dayton - L
UMASS - W
GW - L
@URI - L
@BONA - L
Richmond - L
Fordham - W
@SJU - W
----------
9-9

A10 Tournament (1-1)

Overall 18-14

10/06/2015 4:26 pm  #5

NBC Sports A10 preview   

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/10/06/atlantic-10-preview-can-rhode-island-unseat-davidson/

PREDICTED FINISH
1. Davidson: Yes, Tyler Kalinoski is gone, but Bob McKillop returns three guards who averaged double figures, including Jack Gibbs. Wildcats also have a experienced frontline.
2. Rhode Island: The Rams is the most talented team in the A-10 led by E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin. But that February slate is brutal. URI is at VCU, at Davidson and at Dayton in three of their last six regular season games.
3. Dayton: The Flyers were expected to return four starters, but as of right now, the status of Dyshawn Pierre remains uncertain. Dayton still has the chemistry and depth to make a run at the A-10 title.
4. VCU: Depending on how graduate transfer Korey Billbury fits in to the offense alongside JeQuan Lewis, Melvin Johnson and Mo Alie-Cox, this could be a really good first year for Will Wade.
5. George Washington: A veteran lineup of brings back Joe McDonald, Patricio Garino and Kevin Larsen and adds 6-foot-10 transfer Tyler Cavanaugh. But do the Colonials have the depth to support a talented starting lineup?
6. Richmond: The loss of Kendall Anthony is tough, but the trio of ShawnDre’ Jones, Terry Allen and T.J. Cline make the Spiders a real sleeper in the A-10 this season.
7. St. Bonaventure: The Bonnies could be another surprise team, returning Marcus Posley, Dion Wright and Jaylen Adams.
8. La Salle: The Explorers took an early foreign tour to Prague in May, hoping to jumpstart a 2015-16 campaign in which players are stepping into larger roles alongside the returning Jordan Price.
9. Duquesne: Derrick Colter and Micah Mason, two of the better 3-point shooters in the A-10, will have no issues putting up points, but the Dukes will need to focus on limiting points on the other end. Duquesne gave up the most points per game in the A-10 last season.
10. Saint Joseph’s: The Hawks have arguably the best player in the conference, but DeAndre Bembry will need some help.
11. Saint Louis: Four starters back could lead the Billikens to a higher finish. In order to do so, Saint Louis will need to make major improvements to its offense, which ranked the worst in the conference.
12. UMass: A streak of three straight 20-win seasons was snapped in 2014-15. Despite a stable back court, Minutemen are likely enter a rebuilding season after losing Cady Lalanne, Maxie Esho and Derrick Gordon.
13. George Mason: A rebuilding effort begins under Dave Paulsen, who is taking over a program that will celebrate the 10th anniversary of its Final Four run this spring. The Patriots return three starters, including 6-foot-11 center Shevon Thompson, who averaged a double-double last season.
14. Fordham: Jeff Neubauer inherits a 10-win team that saw Eric Paschall, the 2015 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year, transfer to Villanova

Last edited by CLK (10/06/2015 4:27 pm)

10/07/2015 3:08 am  #6

Seton Hill - W - warmup game
New Orleans - W - should be the year we're done losing to the low D1 teams
Penn State - W- PSU looks awful on paper without Newbill
1-2 in the tourney.  If the Dukes can win one, the harder opponent later could spell trouble.
Pitt - L
UMBC - W
@SFPA - L
RMU - W   --- I think we split the two local teams.  I went with the home W and "road" loss.
@GT - L  --- Bad matchup for the Dukes.  Only hope here is the Gregory factor.
--------
7-5
--------

Dayton - W - We always play the Flyers tough in Pgh.
@Davidson - L - Perhaps the least winnable game on the slate
@GW - L
SLU - W - I do like the Dukes at home in A-10 play,,,
BONA - W - Likely split series
@VCU - L
@GMU - W - Rebuilding team that the Dukes should beat
LaSalle - W - Home advantage plays large.
@SLU - L - The Dukes playing at a veteran team that may get it together by this point in the season
Davidson - L
@Dayton - L
UMASS - W - Kellogg....
GW - L - This could be winnable, but I'll go a litle conservative here.
@URI - L.  Potential trap game for URI as their schedule goes UD->VCU->Duq->Davidson-> UD
@BONA - L
Richmond - L.  Actually winnable if the Dukes can control the glass against what could be an awful rebounding Spiders team.
Fordham - W
@SJU - W - Ferry's teams have finished well.

8-10

Tourney - 1-1

Overall - 16-16

10/07/2015 7:25 am  #7

Last Year I remember the predictions...heck, you can look them up.  Many made similar ones.  Who knew Ferry would be anti-defense.  With that said, maybe he did learn that is the other part of the game along with offense.  Other teams will also be improving.  I am not ready to say we will have a winning record yet, because I just haven't seen Ferry produce.  However, I think we will be better than last year.  I agree with Rogabee, though I don't know about the tournament win.  Give or take a win/loss here and there my prediction is:

WE WILL BE A 500 Team - EvenSteven

10/07/2015 8:12 am  #8

I'm still pessimistic. Some see the return of 4 starters as the glass being half full, I see a cracked and leaking glass. For my mind to be changed, I NEED to see defense, rebounding, some semblance of offense by design, and some actual in-game coaching.

Oh, and please hit some FTs.

Best I can see now is 10 wins. But my main prediction is that I lose interest by January

10/08/2015 8:17 am  #9

OK so far on the record:

CLK  -  17 wins
duq81 -  18 wins
WEB  -  18 wins
rogabee  -  16 wins
FAM  - 15 wins
El Duque - 10 wins

What about the rest of our friends (levon, grammy, Rick, Phoenix, Ironduke, Dukesfan etc) and occasional posters?  What do you think?  You can't say I told you so, or more importantly win the luxury prize unless you get on the record.  

Last edited by CLK (10/08/2015 8:20 am)

10/08/2015 8:37 am  #10

As an occasional poster: I'm expecting an  improvement in frontcourt play, better rebounding, better defense, and an 18 win season.

10/08/2015 8:45 am  #11

9-4 in OC games and 9-9 in A-10=18-13.  After the practice on October 30, 2015, I may amend the projection.  A birdie tells me Tysean Powell has added 15-20 lbs. of muscle.  That tells me he has the physical means to play the 4 He tells me Jordan and Darius will be fine at the 4 and 5 spots.  Faster and stronger.  The birdie tells me the kid from England will get a lot of play time at the 3-Birdie equates him as a freshman version of Billy Clark. Finally, he tells me to look for Micah Mason to step up his game two notches.  That is all I know since I last posted.  That is my basis for my prediction.  As I said, I will re-adjust my prediction after I see the first practice. As for the defense, I see the Dukes using a matchup man-to-man zone simply because they will have the overall quickness needed to utilize to it.  Then again, we shall see.

Last edited by grammudder (10/08/2015 8:49 am)

10/08/2015 10:21 am  #12

18-13

10/08/2015 1:05 pm  #13

grammudder wrote:

9-4 in OC games and 9-9 in A-10=18-13.  After the practice on October 30, 2015, I may amend the projection.  A birdie tells me Tysean Powell has added 15-20 lbs. of muscle.  That tells me he has the physical means to play the 4 He tells me Jordan and Darius will be fine at the 4 and 5 spots.  Faster and stronger.  The birdie tells me the kid from England will get a lot of play time at the 3-Birdie equates him as a freshman version of Billy Clark. Finally, he tells me to look for Micah Mason to step up his game two notches.  That is all I know since I last posted.  That is my basis for my prediction.  As I said, I will re-adjust my prediction after I see the first practice. As for the defense, I see the Dukes using a matchup man-to-man zone simply because they will have the overall quickness needed to utilize to it.  Then again, we shall see.

I heard the same thing about Josh Steele, apparently the coaches like him a lot. Of course we'll have to see how he does in a real game. Apparently The returning "bigs" will have to show some major improvement for the team to improve significantly, so  the only front court addition was Sanders and he will most likely be uable to make a significant contribution this season.

Last edited by levon1975 (10/08/2015 4:13 pm)

10/08/2015 2:18 pm  #14

14-17
a-10   7-11
big three power 5 0-3
gulf coast  1-2
rest of 0cc 6-1

my hope is that the DH,the new AD, can  rise enough money to fire JF and hire a real coach  one that can recruit and develop players.  

10/08/2015 6:23 pm  #15

I'm seeing 15-16 but hoping for a little better.

10/08/2015 9:57 pm  #16

Seton Hill - W 

New Orleans - W - If we lose, I turn my attention to PSU

Penn State - L (Chambers has some good recruits, although his Stud class is next season. I don't think losing Newbill will hurt as bad as expected)

1-2 in the tourney.  

Pitt - L

UMBC - W

@SFPA - W - I would not be shocked if we lose. SFPA is building a decent NEC team

RMU - W   (heart based, not brain)

@GT - L    

Dayton - W

@Davidson - L (I took my wife to this game last season and she couldn't believe how little Dav. missed)

@GW - L

SLU - W

BONA - W

@VCU - L

@GMU - LLaSalle - W

@SLU - WDavidson - L

@Dayton - L

UMASS - W - I despise the one Umass posted on the A10 board so much that Umass has become my most hated team.

GW - L -

@URI - W - Why the hell not?

@BONA - L

Richmond - W.

Fordham - W

@SJU - L

16-14 before the tourney.  

Last edited by Simms (10/08/2015 10:00 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

10/09/2015 7:11 am  #17

grammudder wrote:

Put down the Koolaid Grammy. The extra weight means he's closer to being a defensive end or tight end. The ability to catch and pass the ball, shoot jump shots, play defense and hit FTs will make him a better basketball player. Let's see that before we get excited.

10/09/2015 7:57 am  #18

ElDuque wrote:

grammudder wrote:

Put down the Koolaid Grammy. The extra weight means he's closer to being a defensive end or tight end. The ability to catch and pass the ball, shoot jump shots, play defense and hit FTs will make him a better basketball player. Let's see that before we get excited.

I am also drinking the Koolaid on Powell.  I actually think he will turn out to be our best post player.  I think the extra weight will help him to better play defense, but as Grammy said, we shall see. 

10/09/2015 8:14 am  #19

OK so far on the record:

CLK  -  17 wins
duq81 -  18 wins
WEB  -  18 wins
rogabee  -  16 wins
FAM  - 15 wins
El Duque - 10 wins
Applecorps - 18 wins
Grammudder - 18 wins
scduke  -  18 wins
levon  - ?
Econ69  - 14 wins
WashPaRick  - 15 wins
Simms  -  16 wins

Contest closes midnight 10/11 so you still have time to get on the record to win the amazing grand prize  

10/09/2015 8:17 am  #20

E.D.  Pay attention to what I said in conclusion!!!  To quote Grammudder  "Then again, we shall see."  I prefer beer to koolaid.  

10/09/2015 11:30 am  #21

Funny the guy who seems to have one of the biggest changes in body structure, height and bulk is GilI and no one has mentioned him. I also believe his utilization could play a significant role in how this season shakes out. Sorry I'm a pessimist also 13-17. A loss in the first round.

10/09/2015 4:21 pm  #22

grammudder wrote:

E.D.  Pay attention to what I said in conclusion!!!  To quote Grammudder  "Then again, we shall see."  I prefer beer to koolaid.  

Beer makes Duquesne basketball near-tolerable. And predictions. Last year it was Jordan Stevens who was going to knock my socks off.

I have to see to believe. I don't care if the kid looks like a tall version of James Harrison, I need to see the skills.

10/11/2015 1:10 am  #23

Duquesne gonna shock the world!  Since I'm paid to be a homer, errr pa announcer, for the team, put me down for 19 wins so I'm at the top of the guessing pool. If I'm wrong, well, you can just say I was a homer.  

#PutEmUpDukes!  Hope to see all of you at the Palumbo this year! 

10/11/2015 12:59 pm  #24

Here is what we have on record so far:

CLK  -  17 wins
duq81 -  18 wins
WEB  -  18 wins
rogabee  -  16 wins
FAM  - 15 wins
El Duque - 10 wins
Applecorps - 18 wins
Grammudder - 18 wins
scduke  -  18 wins
Econ69  - 14 wins
WashPaRick  - 15 wins
Simms  -  16 wins
Dome  -  13 wins
SteelCityVoice  - 19 wins

Anyone else want to get on the record? 

10/11/2015 1:02 pm  #25

20 - 10
I'm optimistic, but my real reason for saying 20 wins is that I feel that's the minimum acceptable to me given the track record of the current coaching staff to date.  Coaches, it's time to earn your paychecks!

Board footera