Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2015 2:49 pm  #26

Re: Get on the record

13-19

6-6 OOC lose to all local teams again except St Francis.

6-12 A10

1-1 tourney. 

To predict anything better than that one would actually have to have seen a measure of growth in any of Ferrys teams.  I haven't, so I'm predicting the same crap.

Last edited by duqkurt (10/11/2015 2:49 pm)

10/11/2015 9:03 pm  #27

I will go with 17 wins, although I still consider that far from acceptable at this point in time. We were told not to accept mediocrity four years ago, and now we are hoping for mediocrity as a sign of improvement. A more interesting question would be what are our expectations, vs. what do we feel is acceptable.

10/12/2015 6:56 am  #28

rosceaux wrote:

I will go with 17 wins, although I still consider that far from acceptable at this point in time. We were told not to accept mediocrity four years ago, and now we are hoping for mediocrity as a sign of improvement. A more interesting question would be what are our expectations, vs. what do we feel is acceptable.

I'm glad you said that, and I'm glad you asked. Four years into the Ferry era, with the hype and promise of how we were going to get to the next level, it would have been fair to expect 17 wins and a postseason sniff last year, and 20 wins and at least an NIT bid this year. I base that on three starters playing together for three years and the anticipated development of big men, plus an intelligent shift in strategy by Ferry as he learns what it takes to win in the A10. But I don't see any exceptional development in the core three, I don't see any of the big men having anywhere near a solid game, and I think we are at best mediocre at the point. I expect Tarin Smith to change the PG status next year because credible sources tell me he can be a great A10 one guard (unlike folks who take what Ferry says and run with it). The questions next year are whether Castro is the goods or Jordan Stevens, whether we can develop a competent three finally, and whether any of the bigs can be in the lineup by earning it, rather than by default.

10/12/2015 7:07 am  #29

ElDuque wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

I'm glad you said that, and I'm glad you asked. Four years into the Ferry era, with the hype and promise of how we were going to get to the next level, it would have been fair to expect 17 wins and a postseason sniff last year, and 20 wins and at least an NIT bid this year. I base that on three starters playing together for three years and the anticipated development of big men, plus an intelligent shift in strategy by Ferry as he learns what it takes to win in the A10. But I don't see any exceptional development in the core three, I don't see any of the big men having anywhere near a solid game, and I think we are at best mediocre at the point. I expect Tarin Smith to change the PG status next year because credible sources tell me he can be a great A10 one guard (unlike folks who take what Ferry says and run with it). The questions next year are whether Castro is the goods or Jordan Stevens, whether we can develop a competent three finally, and whether any of the bigs can be in the lineup by earning it, rather than by default.

I have more faith in Castro than you do. He's not a JC player like Stevens (those are always suspect in my book). He was thought to be good enough by Brad Stevens, who is a better coach than anyone we've seen on the Bluff since Dudey Moore (and that includes Red Manning, who was pretty good). Butler was a disaster after Stevens left, so I don't hold Castro's freshman year against him like some do.

10/12/2015 12:04 pm  #30

I'm not holding anything against him. Regardless of origin, Ferry has whiffed on a lot of recruits, and those who see PT don't seem all that well developed. Let's see how he plays first. And again, unless Ferry goes four small, from whom does he take minutes? Jones? Colter? Mason?

10/12/2015 1:39 pm  #31

ElDuque wrote:

I'm not holding anything against him. Regardless of origin, Ferry has whiffed on a lot of recruits, and those who see PT don't seem all that well developed. Let's see how he plays first. And again, unless Ferry goes four small, from whom does he take minutes? Jones? Colter? Mason?

Has to be Colter, and Mason. Both played far too many minutes last season, and got worn down as a result. I can see him getting  20-25 minutes a game, with the bulk of that backing up the two starters. If the guards are really dynamic, I could see Ferry playing all three for short periods during a game. Jay Wright played with 4 guards when he had Randy Foye, because his backcourt was so good, and his frontcourt was lacking. We don't have that level of talent, but we're not playing in the old BE either. We'll find out for sure about Ferry one way or the other this year.

10/12/2015 4:41 pm  #32

OK, 17 posters have gone on the record:

CLK  -  17 wins 
duq81 -  18 wins 
WEB  -  18 wins 
rogabee  -  16 wins 
FAM  - 15 wins 
El Duque - 10 wins 
Applecorps - 18 wins 
Grammudder - 18 wins
scduke  -  18 wins 
Econ69  - 14 wins 
WashPaRick  - 15 wins
Simms  -  16 wins 
Dome  -  13 wins 
SteelCityVoice  - 19 wins
VBC  -  20 wins 
duqkurt  - 13 wins 
rosceaux  - 17 wins 

The predictions range from 20 wins to 10 wins.  The average of the group is 16 wins.  .  Based on this anything less than 16 wins would not meet general expectations. 

Last edited by CLK (10/12/2015 4:43 pm)

10/12/2015 5:32 pm  #33

ElDuque wrote:

I'm still pessimistic. Some see the return of 4 starters as the glass being half full, I see a cracked and leaking glass. For my mind to be changed, I NEED to see defense, rebounding, some semblance of offense by design, and some actual in-game coaching.

Oh, and please hit some FTs.

Best I can see now is 10 wins. But my main prediction is that I lose interest by January

I'm pretty down this year too, but I will almost reach for the mortgage papers on the over on ten wins! C'mon ED

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/12/2015 5:41 pm  #34

CLK wrote:

Here is what we have on record so far:

CLK  -  17 wins
duq81 -  18 wins
WEB  -  18 wins
rogabee  -  16 wins
FAM  - 15 wins
El Duque - 10 wins
Applecorps - 18 wins
Grammudder - 18 wins
scduke  -  18 wins
Econ69  - 14 wins
WashPaRick  - 15 wins
Simms  -  16 wins
Dome  -  13 wins

Anyone else want to get on the record? 

Tejas Duke  17

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/12/2015 5:44 pm  #35

Tejas Duke, there will be a gathering of the Zebes for the Robert Morris game on Saturday, Dec. 19.  Game time is 2 pm.  We'll likely get lunch at the Red Ring before the game and then go to the Blue Line Grille afterwards.  Please join us if you're in town.  Any other Zebes and friends are welcome.  Ask for a ticket with the ZBT group at the box office.

10/13/2015 9:46 am  #36

I think 16 wins, btw 5 years ago I would have been pi$$ed if we only won 16😜

A diehard fan since 1961

10/13/2015 9:46 pm  #37

Phildog wrote:

I think 16 wins, btw 5 years ago I would have been pi$$ed if we only won 16😜

Uh, we did win 16 5 years ago.

10/14/2015 8:14 am  #38

I was then too, before we turned down a tourney and went to the upgrade....

A diehard fan since 1961

10/14/2015 9:00 am  #39

We now have 19 posters on record.  The average remains 16 wins.

CLK  -  17 wins 
duq81 -  18 wins 
WEB  -  18 wins 
rogabee  -  16 wins 
FAM  - 15 wins 
El Duque - 10 wins 
Applecorps - 18 wins 
Grammudder - 18 wins
scduke  -  18 wins 
Econ69  - 14 wins 
WashPaRick  - 15 wins
Simms  -  16 wins 
Dome  -  13 wins 
VBC  -  20 wins 
duqkurt  - 13 wins 
rosceaux  - 17 wins 
Tejas Duke  -  17 wins
Phildog  -  16 wins

10/14/2015 6:42 pm  #40

15-16 on season
1-1 in a10 tourney

i think we will lose to 1-2 teams we shouldnt(like umbc or st francis), and that will have half of us jumping off the 10st street bridge.
i think we will also beat a rhode island or davidson, which will have to other half overly excited about end of season progress and start the 'wait til next year when smith is eligible' chants

i just dont buy into the 'finishing strong last year' stuff considering 3 of wins were against fordham and st louis and we lost to st bona, davidson, and gw by an avg of 21pts..

i would love to see this team go 18-13 and get a cit or cbi bid. the seniors graduating seem like a really good bunch of kid that suffered through alot on and off the court, esp DC, and to a lesser degree, micah. 

10/14/2015 7:51 pm  #41

Anyone believe we can beat Bobby Mo? Or does the view not change from the back of the pack?

10/14/2015 10:00 pm  #42

ElDuque wrote:

Anyone believe we can beat Bobby Mo?

I do.  That game is the Saturday afternoon when we're having this year's gathering of the Zebes.  You and La Duquesa should join us as friends and fellow travelers.

Last edited by VBC (10/14/2015 10:01 pm)

10/15/2015 8:32 am  #43

ElDuque wrote:

Anyone believe we can beat Bobby Mo? Or does the view not change from the back of the pack?

Bobby Mo lost their two best players by far from last year, and the game is at Palumbo. If they can't beat them this year, when will they?

10/15/2015 4:13 pm  #44

Every year Bobby Mo is expected to be down because of player losses. Somehow, they continue to own us. won't even ask about whether anyone thinks we can take Pitt. Might finally be time to ease that annual embarrassment off the schedule.

10/21/2015 7:50 pm  #45

17 wins. Sorry I'm late!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

10/22/2015 7:36 am  #46

Another latecomer.
15 wins.
I had the "pleasure" of seeing a practice this week. More of the same; launching 3's or dunks; defense still packing in and not fighting over screens, etc. I saw 20 win talent on the floor with 12 win coaching.
LHTM defense and LHWMT offense (Let's Hope We Make Them). Aarrgg.

10/22/2015 1:11 pm  #47

ElDuque wrote:

Every year Bobby Mo is expected to be down because of player losses. Somehow, they continue to own us. won't even ask about whether anyone thinks we can take Pitt. Might finally be time to ease that annual embarrassment off the schedule.

....Really? Why even be a fan?

Roll Dukes Roll

10/22/2015 1:23 pm  #48

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Bobby Mo lost their two best players by far from last year, and the game is at Palumbo. If they can't beat them this year, when will they?

RMU plays with so much confidence against Duquesne, that the Dukes really need to jump on them and not let up to beat them.  This should be the biggest game of the pre-season for Duquesne.  Must play like hair is on fire!

10/22/2015 3:52 pm  #49

currentstudent wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

....Really? Why even be a fan?

Good question.

I presume Ferry's been the coach your entire tenure on the Bluff. How's that working out for you? Do you enjoy losing annually to Bobby Mo and Pitt? Do you like being #3 in the city?  Me, I hate losing. I hate being a bottom tier anything. I'd like to see Duquesne turn things around, but I've seen nothing the past three years to indicate it can happen.

When I was a student, I saw a conference tournament winning team, an NCAA Tournament team, an NIT team, regular wins over Pitt (heck, the greatest DU-Pitt game ever played in the 1980 NIT game). And I didn't even get to see the REAL glory years, because they were before my time.

Back to your question: Watching the way the team plays under Ferry has drained me of my passion. I will not go to, watch, or listen to a game this year. For your sake, I hope they turn things around.

10/26/2015 9:24 pm  #50

"Launching 3's and dunks" is actually the most statically effective way to play basketball, as evidenced by the shifting trends at the NBA and college level.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-next-shooting-revolution-has-already-been-televised

If you are wondering about defense, that is very understandable. To pinpoint dunks and 3's as being offensive issues is just plain inaccurate. If they were launching countless shots from 10-18 feet range then I would say we have a problem.

Board footera