Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/26/2015 9:47 pm  #51

Re: Get on the record

DukesFan79 wrote:

"Launching 3's and dunks" is actually the most statically effective way to play basketball, as evidenced by the shifting trends at the NBA and college level.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-next-shooting-revolution-has-already-been-televised

If you are wondering about defense, that is very understandable. To pinpoint dunks and 3's as being offensive issues is just plain inaccurate. If they were launching countless shots from 10-18 feet range then I would say we have a problem.

Actually, you're right. The old 15 footer was a staple of offenses prior to the 3 point shot, but now it's a bad shot. If a team is shooting 33% from 3, that's equal to 50% from 2. Considering that most teams should be well above 50% inside of 5 feet, layups, dunks, and short shots are good basketball. Medium range shots are not, as few teams will even be able to approach 50% from that range, while good outside shooting teams will be above 35% from 3. Threes, layups, and dunks are really all you should be shooting today.

10/27/2015 7:11 am  #52

The problem in launching 3s is indeed an accuracy issue. Not everyone on this team is a good long range shooter. In fact, only Mason is. Colter has had good nights, and he's had 0-10 and 1-9 lines to start a game that have put the team in a hole many times. Plus Ferry likes to have his best rebounder, Gill, shooting 3s. It's like giving everyone on your baseball team a green light to steal, including Prince Fielder, Jose Molina, and Bartolo Colon.

10/27/2015 8:17 am  #53

Colter shot 42.6% from three last season, good for 5th best in the A10 conference. In fact, this was higher than A10 MVP Tyler Kalinoski from Davidson.

Mason shot 44.7% from three on the year.

Gill needs to shoot a higher percentage more consistently, but he is not a "back to the basket" player. He is a perimeter forward. He needs to mix in some lay ups and drives along with offensive rebounds.

10/27/2015 12:37 pm  #54

Two years earlier Colter did not shoot so well, plus shot selection was awful. Two years ago Mason led nation in 3 point shooting so he tailed off big time last year.

10/27/2015 12:48 pm  #55

Colter stepped up his game last year. Offensively, this should be a pretty good team. The key, as we all know, is to improve defensively. We don't even have to be good on defense, just stop being horrible. If that happens, it might be a pretty fun season.

10/27/2015 1:15 pm  #56

DukesFan79, in my opinion Gill needs to shoot less from the three.  I am not sure what Ferry is seeing in practice, but Gill has not shown himself to be a very good three point shooter, and him hanging out on the perimeter has one of our biggest players being one of poorest offensive rebounders.  Last year Gill had 87 defensive rebounds and only 41 offensive rebounds.  Perhaps one of Gill's best games last year was when he was aggresive against Dayton at home and drove the ball and attacked the rim.  The pick and roll was very effective that day.  That is other thing that Ferry needs to work on with Gill and the other bigs is setting screens.  I would suggest to coach Ferry that he go back and watch how Davidson's bigs set very effective screens in a variety of different way.  I am looking for Ferry to prove that he can teach and coach this year, this means seeing a vast improvement in our bigs.

10/27/2015 2:19 pm  #57

duq81 wrote:

Colter stepped up his game last year. Offensively, this should be a pretty good team. The key, as we all know, is to improve defensively. We don't even have to be good on defense, just stop being horrible. If that happens, it might be a pretty fun season.

He showed improvement, which should be expected from a 3-year starter. Mason took a huge step back, partly at least because of the Ferry brainfart over making him a point guard. But I didn't see either player make one of the all-conference teams, so we need to keep in perspective who they are: The best players on a struggling team.

10/27/2015 3:30 pm  #58

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

He showed improvement, which should be expected from a 3-year starter. Mason took a huge step back, partly at least because of the Ferry brainfart over making him a point guard. But I didn't see either player make one of the all-conference teams, so we need to keep in perspective who they are: The best players on a struggling team.

The 2014 Preseason 1st, 2nd and 3rd All-Conference Teams did not contain the end of the season MVP.

10/27/2015 4:04 pm  #59

OK, I don't see either one making the postseason teams or MVP, either. Not a knock, I just don't see them as being that calibre of player.

10/28/2015 8:47 am  #60

Tweet From Steve Keller, owned and operated the National Recruiting Report Since 1986 in response to some notes he observed from this past weekend's Hoop Group High School Fall Showcase:

Trinity's 6'8 Sr Isiaha Mike is committed to Duquesne & his lift, handle & long range jumper make him a flat out steal for the Dukes.

10/28/2015 11:41 pm  #61

CLK wrote:

Perhaps one of Gill's best games last year was when he was aggresive against Dayton at home and drove the ball and attacked the rim.  The pick and roll was very effective that day. 

True, but Dayton's biggest player was 6-6 and Dayton was gassed playing the game.  Remember it was a Saturday game after a Thursday game - with a road trip in the middle - while Dayton only had six scholarship guys available due to the suspensions.  I wouldn't view Gill's game against UD as the model to use but rather a solid matchup play against a team that was weak inside.  Give credit to Gill for exploting it (and Ferry for changing the game plan a little to exploit it also).  Against taller guys inside I'm not sure the results would be the same.

I agree with DukesFan79 here that he's not a back-to-the-basket type of player.  I'd still give him the green light on some of those treys, the issue is making more of them as he matures with age.

I also disagree with Gill being your best rebounder.  To me, Powell is, followed by Robinson then Gill.

10/29/2015 8:37 am  #62

rogabee wrote:

CLK wrote:

Perhaps one of Gill's best games last year was when he was aggresive against Dayton at home and drove the ball and attacked the rim.  The pick and roll was very effective that day. 

True, but Dayton's biggest player was 6-6 and Dayton was gassed playing the game.  Remember it was a Saturday game after a Thursday game - with a road trip in the middle - while Dayton only had six scholarship guys available due to the suspensions.  I wouldn't view Gill's game against UD as the model to use but rather a solid matchup play against a team that was weak inside.  Give credit to Gill for exploting it (and Ferry for changing the game plan a little to exploit it also).  Against taller guys inside I'm not sure the results would be the same.

I agree with DukesFan79 here that he's not a back-to-the-basket type of player.  I'd still give him the green light on some of those treys, the issue is making more of them as he matures with age.

I also disagree with Gill being your best rebounder.  To me, Powell is, followed by Robinson then Gill.

Rogabee, I did not say Gill was our best rebounder, I said he was one of our biggest players.  I would rather have him, more times than not, in the mix fighting for rebounds with his big body, than Colter or Micah under the boards getting out rebounded and the other team sprinting out on fast breaks.  I have no problem with him stepping out and trying an occasional three pointer, but for an undersized team struggling with offensive rebounding we need our bigs to fight for rebounds, and unless either raises his three point average, or attacks the basket more he may not be the best fit.  Speaking of Powell, with more experience and his high energy motot, I look for him to have a big year. 

10/29/2015 11:45 am  #63

Well, I'm the one who said it, and according to the statistics, Gill's our best returning rebounder. The games in Ireland against 5-8 gingerbread children don't really count much. At 6-0, I can clean the glass against them. I don't know where the "back to the basket" stuff came from. That role is better suited for Lewis, or Robinson. I suggested Gill play in the paint more, which he can do facing the basket on offense. That would enable him to step back once in a while and shoot a short range (a higher percentage shot), and be in better position to scrap for a rebound.

10/29/2015 2:54 pm  #64

Good news on Ike Mike, let's get him signed in November!

11/09/2015 8:29 am  #65

Here is what we have.  Any body else?

CLK  -  17 wins 
duq81 -  18 wins 
WEB  -  18 wins 
rogabee  -  16 wins 
FAM  - 15 wins 
El Duque - 10 wins 
Applecorps - 18 wins 
Grammudder - 18 wins
scduke  -  18 wins 
Econ69  - 14 wins 
WashPaRick  - 15 wins
Simms  -  16 wins 
Dome  -  13 wins 
SteelCityVoice  - 19 wins
VBC  -  20 wins 
duqkurt  - 13 wins 
rosceaux  - 17 wins 
Tejas Duke  -  17 wins
Phildog  -  16 wins
Heels fan - 16 wins
KenOTH73 - 17 wins
Phoenix - 15 wins

Average = 16

11/09/2015 10:27 am  #66

After watching the Blue-Red scrimmage and knowing what they did to Towson, (I have the same contact at Towson as I did last year-they physicaly dominated Towson) put me down for 20 wins--up two from my original 18 suggestion.  Four reasons.  (1) Castro is a formidable third guard option; (2) Improvement in the inside game in the form  of Powell, Gill, Robinson, Lewis and expectations of Sanders; (3) Utilization of man-to-man and man-to-man match-up zone defenses; and (4) they are bigger, faster and stronger as a team.  My concerns--Who will step up and be the three?  I don't see any one player as being a three in the mold of my preference for a three-Billy Clark.  For whatever its worth I see three variables for a "starting" lineup with a sixth man added in.  I.  Colter, Mason, Castro, Powell and Robinson, with Gill off the bench.  II. Colter, Mason, Gill, Powell and Robinson with Castro off the bench.  III.  Castro, Mason, Powell, Gill and Sanders (later in the year  around the St. Louis game) with Colter off the bench. My reasoning is that Gill, Castro and Colter can give instant offense.    I see Lewis as the first big substitute.  The reasoning is Lewis provides a defensive presence.  Jere Jones will be the second off the bench as I see it in most cases.  There are just too many better options this year  with the players available to Ferry.  Not a bad seventh man!  Tear me apart ladies and gentlemen.  See ya Tuesday night at A.J.'s place.

Last edited by grammudder (11/09/2015 10:31 am)

11/09/2015 12:08 pm  #67

There really is no need to be either contentious or provocative. Tear you apart?  Can't people simply have a different opinion? Especially since not all of us have access to Ferry.

For discussion purposes, my observation of Ferry over the past three years is that he is a creature of habit, e.g., he tends to do the same things year over year. Because of this, I think the scrimmage told you who the starting 5 will be: Colter, Mason, Jones, Powell, Lewis. Castro, at least initially, will come off the bench, as will Gill. James and Jackson will get PT early on, but that might stop when conference play starts.

I don't see us making the leap to 20 wins. Still haven't seen Castro against D1 teams or within the Ferry system yet, and I would expect only incremental improvement from any of the returning bigs, none of whom has a complete game. So I'll stick with my initial projection (10 wins), until there's any actual evidence that this team could be better.

11/09/2015 12:34 pm  #68

What facts do you have that lead to your conclusion I have access to Ferry? I have access to a source from Towson for which I obtained my information about the scrimmage Saturday.  I witnessed in person the difference in players at the Blue-Red scrimmage.  I have absolutely no access to coach Ferry.   I gave opinions with my reasons stated in detail--four of them--even if provocative or contentious as you conclude.  I know people love to tear apart other's opinions on this board once given.  That is precisely why I invited discussion of my opinions.  I expected them to be sliced and diced.  Don't try to bully me on this site just because you own part of it. If you don't want my opinions, use your delete button and I will bid you and the board adieu per omnia saecula saeculorum

11/09/2015 12:56 pm  #69

El Duque I did not see Grammy's comments to be contentious, but maybe provocative for purposes of stimulating discussion.  I do however agree that Ferry will start his three seniors.  Dominus Vobiscum.

11/09/2015 1:13 pm  #70

Et. Cum Spiritu Tuo!!

11/09/2015 1:33 pm  #71

I guess we were both alter boys back in the old days. Just brought a grade school memory back for me.  The joke in catholic grade school when I was a kid was:  What is the Pope's phone number?  Et. Cum Spiri 220.

Last edited by CLK (11/09/2015 1:39 pm)

11/09/2015 2:12 pm  #72

Won't you eat my sleazy pancakes just for saintly Alphonzo?

11/09/2015 7:27 pm  #73

grammudder wrote:

After watching the Blue-Red scrimmage and knowing what they did to Towson, (I have the same contact at Towson as I did last year-they physicaly dominated Towson) put me down for 20 wins--up two from my original 18 suggestion.  Four reasons.  (1) Castro is a formidable third guard option; (2) Improvement in the inside game in the form  of Powell, Gill, Robinson, Lewis and expectations of Sanders; (3) Utilization of man-to-man and man-to-man match-up zone defenses; and (4) they are bigger, faster and stronger as a team.  My concerns--Who will step up and be the three?  I don't see any one player as being a three in the mold of my preference for a three-Billy Clark.  For whatever its worth I see three variables for a "starting" lineup with a sixth man added in.  I.  Colter, Mason, Castro, Powell and Robinson, with Gill off the bench.  II. Colter, Mason, Gill, Powell and Robinson with Castro off the bench.  III.  Castro, Mason, Powell, Gill and Sanders (later in the year  around the St. Louis game) with Colter off the bench. My reasoning is that Gill, Castro and Colter can give instant offense.    I see Lewis as the first big substitute.  The reasoning is Lewis provides a defensive presence.  Jere Jones will be the second off the bench as I see it in most cases.  There are just too many better options this year  with the players available to Ferry.  Not a bad seventh man!  Tear me apart ladies and gentlemen.  See ya Tuesday night at A.J.'s place.

any word on josh steel?
a lot of people seemed to be high on him after ireland trip, just curious as to why you didn't mention him(not a personal attack or tearing you apart)

11/09/2015 9:12 pm  #74

I didn't mean to ignore Josh.  If truth be told he is the closest of the current Dukes players who could be a three that matches my personal profile mold ala Billy Clark.  Josh is a very good defender.  He loves to jack up the three-ball.  I hope he is paying close attention to Micah Mason in both form and shot selections!!  I see him needing some development and orientation to the college game.  He definitely has D-1 level talent.  I'd like the coaches to be able to use him sporadically to develop him rather than have to rely on him as a big producer.  If he advances at the rate that LG Gill has done, I'll be happy.  Is that enough opinion?  

11/10/2015 4:34 am  #75

grammudder wrote:

I didn't mean to ignore Josh.  If truth be told he is the closest of the current Dukes players who could be a three that matches my personal profile mold ala Billy Clark.  Josh is a very good defender.  He loves to jack up the three-ball.  I hope he is paying close attention to Micah Mason in both form and shot selections!!  I see him needing some development and orientation to the college game.  He definitely has D-1 level talent.  I'd like the coaches to be able to use him sporadically to develop him rather than have to rely on him as a big producer.  If he advances at the rate that LG Gill has done, I'll be happy.  Is that enough opinion?  

thank you for update!
it would be nice to have someone in the mold of bill clark

Board footera