Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2015 9:28 am  #1

A10 Media Day

Duquesne picked 11th

Jon RothsteinVerified account ‏@JonRothstein   3m3 minutes ago View translationA 10 Preseason Poll: Dayton, URI, Davidson, GW, VCU, Richmond, SJU, SBU, La Salle, UMass, Duquesne, SLU, George Mason, Fordham.

Ferry better beat this prediction as 11th is likely a losing season.  No excuses!

10/20/2015 9:33 am  #2

Re: A10 Media Day

10/20/2015 10:11 am  #3

No Dukes on any of the All Conference teams.

Last edited by CLK (10/20/2015 10:15 am)

10/20/2015 10:49 am  #4

10/20/2015 11:07 am  #5

Saw most of Ferry's interview and I'm getting a sinking feeling in my stomach. I heard the potential of a 3 guard offense that IMHO is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm also confounded by the decision to apparently build up the role of Jeremiah. Unless he has had a senior metamorphosis he is a small 3 who doesn't contribute enough. Ferry said he had over a 100 assists and he is aiming for 125, not what I want out of the 3. Absolutely no mention of Jordan Robinson, he did mention just about every other 4 / 5 position player. The reason that gives me pause is the fact that the two highest rated recruits are now busts.

10/20/2015 11:31 am  #6

It's amazing to me that year in and year out SBU has a better team than us especially given their resources and location. 

10/20/2015 11:40 am  #7

I'll never understand why folks get so worked up about someone's predictions. He's either going to get it done or he won't. Nothing to do now but wait and see. If predictions were important, the Washington Nationals would be preparing to play in the World Series.

10/20/2015 12:22 pm  #8

pressurecooker wrote:

It's amazing to me that year in and year out SBU has a better team than us especially given their resources and location. 

I don't get it either, except that Mark Schmidt is a heck of a game day and developmental coach.  He can take ordinary talent and make them All League players.  Plus, they have always had tremendous student support even in down years.  Contrast that to our current coach who claims he has to dummy down our defense becauase of his players (his excuse for not being able to teach multiple defenses), and shown that his game day coaching consists of blowing big leads.  The singular most stupid move I remember last year was watching Posley dribble uncontested last year to take the tying shot in the final seconds of regulations.  I could go on but what's the use.  I will continue to say and believe that if Ferry can't play better defense this year and have a winning season there is no hope for DU with him as coach.

10/20/2015 12:29 pm  #9

The Dome wrote:

Saw most of Ferry's interview and I'm getting a sinking feeling in my stomach. I heard the potential of a 3 guard offense that IMHO is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm also confounded by the decision to apparently build up the role of Jeremiah. Unless he has had a senior metamorphosis he is a small 3 who doesn't contribute enough. Ferry said he had over a 100 assists and he is aiming for 125, not what I want out of the 3. Absolutely no mention of Jordan Robinson, he did mention just about every other 4 / 5 position player. The reason that gives me pause is the fact that the two highest rated recruits are now busts.

Ferry has not demonstrated any ability to date of developing players.  I don't get it about Robinson either.  Give him to Mark Schmidt and he would be an All League player.  I did not see his interview.  If anyone can find it on YouTube please post.  I am willing to bet, however, he said something like "what a bear the A10 is". 

10/20/2015 1:23 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Ferry has not demonstrated any ability to date of developing players.  I don't get it about Robinson either.  Give him to Mark Schmidt and he would be an All League player.  I did not see his interview.  If anyone can find it on YouTube please post.  I am willing to bet, however, he said something like "what a bear the A10 is". 

The interviews were streamed live.  I'm hoping they will be archived or at least someone will be able to provide a transcript. 

10/20/2015 9:52 pm  #11

Isn't this the same stuff he said last year.  It is all BS if he can't manage a winning record this season.

http://triblive.com/sports/college/duquesne/9259259-74/duquesne-conference-program#axzz3pAMWIZfa

10/20/2015 9:58 pm  #12

I know he doesn't get interviewed much.  But if he could go one interview without talking about what he inherited when he got here, it would be appreciated.  It is year 4 already.  Shut up about what you were left with.

10/21/2015 7:41 am  #13

JF has his excuses in place.  Bad facility and tough conference.  More blathering.  As I wrote before, I can only hope that Harper,the new AD, can rise enough money to buyout JF and hire a real coach that can recruit, develop and--gasp--teach players how to play defenses especially that obscure and rarely use defense the man to man.

10/21/2015 8:02 am  #14

Econ69 and Kurt you nailed it.  Excuses, excuses, and excuses.  The thing I respected most about Everhart was you never heard any excuses from the guy.  He put on his hard hat and went to work every day and won.  This is year 4 and Ferry is asking where he will get 1 win?  I hope Harper is not buying his BS.

10/21/2015 8:50 am  #15

So maybe I shouldn't get too excited when the Dukes come to Estero, Fl in November?

A diehard fan since 1961

10/21/2015 8:53 am  #16

CLK wrote:

Econ69 and Kurt you nailed it.  Excuses, excuses, and excuses.  The thing I respected most about Everhart was you never heard any excuses from the guy.  He put on his hard hat and went to work every day and won.  This is year 4 and Ferry is asking where he will get 1 win?  I hope Harper is not buying his BS.

I don't want to re-hash the Everhart coaching profile, but he didn't make one single NCAA tournament in 18 years as a head coach.  That's a colossal failure and not going to work every day and winning. 

For what it's worth, Ferry does believe he is building toward something.  That has come out of almost every interview I've seen with him.  I could also do without the complaining about where the program was when he took over.  But, he is right.  It was in horrific shape and that's why in my mind, this is year 3 for him and not year 4.  I read a prediction on CBS yesterday that suggested Ferry has accumulated the talent to crash into the top half of the league next year.  That's an outsiders view, not anyone who has allegiances toward Jim or any other Duquesne personality. 

As for Harper, he has talked about facilities.  Unless and until he comes up with a plan to demolish AJP and build a new arena, I don't want to really hear anything from him.  It wasn't his fault that Amodio sunk millions into a piece of crap arena.  It's up to Harper to figure out a way to get a new facility.  That's on him. 

10/21/2015 9:13 am  #17

WEB you were one of the most vocal critics of Ron.  Even though he did what no coach in the last 35 years had been able to do in putting together consecutive winning seasons and getting the Dukes to the A10 championship game.  Your reason was you felt he could never get DU to the NCAA tourney.  So now the shoe is on the other foot.  Ron won his 2nd year, despite inheriting a 3 win team, and the horrible shooting.  Arguably a worst situation than Ferry had coming in to DU, yet he won.  Ferry is in his 4th year, and still making excuses about why he can't win.  I don't want to hear any more excuses from this guy, time to start winning!  If he can't get a simple winning season this year with 3 senior starters he will never get DU to the next level.

10/21/2015 11:16 am  #18

CLK and Dukurt:  I think you both are misleading our posters about what Fery said.  To the contrary I fail to see what language inthe article comprises "making excuses."  To the contrary he says the program has been solidified.  To the contrary he believes the program is on the right track.  To the contrary he is not saying the same things he said last year.  It is obvious Dukurt does not like Ferry.  I don't beleive the same is true of CLK.  But, let the reader see the article and judge if Ferry is making excuses.  Here it is in full text.  Bold features are mine.  My message is simple:  Be fair to facts when you post!!  [img]http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=XKJLp$smejecqk3aL6XXWs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuC4UpsVWEeLC_N$l4e3XkrWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg[/img]By Denis P. GormanTuesday, Oct. 20, 2015, 7:06 p.m.
Updated 12 hours ago NEW YORK — As Duquesne basketball coach Jim Ferry scanned the Atlantic 10 preseason poll, one thought came to mind.“Where do you get one win?” Ferry asked when he met with reporters at the conference's media day Tuesday at Barclays Center. “You have Dayton, Rhode Island, Davidson, George Washington; they could win this thing. VCU is fifth, really? Well, if VCU is fifth in this conference — in any conference — you have a great conference. I look at a team like Richmond, they're always one of the best teams. You look and see La Salle and UMass down (in the preseason projections), that's scary.“It's extremely deep.”And so it is into this maelstrom that Duquesne begins its 100th season. Little is expected of the Dukes, as rival coaches envision the program finishing 11th in the A-10, ahead of only Saint Louis, George Mason and Fordham. The coaches also did not select any Duquesne players for the conference's preseason first, second, third and all-defensive teams.It could be argued the universal lack of support from rival coaches is an indicator of a program still trying to find its way. That is not how Ferry views Duquesne. He sees a program that is stronger today than what it was when he was introduced as coach April 10, 2012.“It was down,” Ferry said. “Guys had graduated, guys had transferred. It was down. You guys who have known me from New York, you've seen me (program-build) the right way. When you're going to do something the right way, it's going to take some time. Especially in a league like this. You're not just going to snap your fingers and be able to knock out Dayton, Richmond, VCU by just quick fixing it.“We've really solidified the program. I think that was very obvious at the end of last season. I think we won six out of our last 12 (games), we won a conference tournament game, which hadn't been done in a while. Now we have a lot of those guys back. The program is solidified, and now we take it from this point. That was the plan.”If Duquesne is, in fact, a program on the rise, there has to be a support system in place for Ferry. He pointed to school administration and newly hired athletic director David Harper as those who share his vision. Harper, the former vice president of advancement at Dayton, was introduced as athletic director Sept. 1, replacing Greg Amodio.“The people in the administration, they understood. When they hired me at Duquesne, I told them this is how we're going to do it,” Ferry said. “You really have to do it the right way. It's a process. Dave Harper, the new AD, he understands that. He's seen the growth in the program since he's been in the league.“We're fortunate because he's coming from the league (because he recognizes the importance of) facilities. That process has been ongoing at Duquesne. Duquesne, like every one else in the conference, recognizes where the conference is headed.“There's been a bit of an arms race in regards to facilities, especially the teams that have been at the top of the conference there's been a commitment, and Duquesne has taken notice of that. It's just making sure we do it the right way. Dave is a big proponent of that, so we're looking forward to moving those things forward.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/duquesne/9259259-74/duquesne-conference-program#ixzz3pDeWJQBI 
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

So If Ferry's team loses this season, throw his words back at him and then say he was wrong this year.  Then ask again that he be canned and that someone raises enough money to buy out his contract.  Gawd, almighty!!! At least you could have waited for the first tip-off before the negativity started.

Last edited by grammudder (10/21/2015 11:22 am)

10/21/2015 12:00 pm  #19

Grammy you skipped over the "Where do you (Duquesne) get one win" comment.  He can't see where he can get one league win?  Really from a 4th year coach!   It sure sounds like someone trying to set up an excuse for not winning, and lowering expectations.  I feel bad for his players.

Let me make my position perfectly clear for all to understand.  I absolutely want Ferry to win and be successful, but I am sick and tired of hearing his excuses for his not winning. I don't want to hear his players can't learn how to play defense.  I don't want to hear how kids today have no respect type excuses.  I don't want to hear about players sitting out and kicking the can down the road to next year.  It is simple, if the program is on the rise as he says, then prove it by starting with a winning record this year. He has three senior starter, there is no excuse not to win.

Last edited by CLK (10/21/2015 12:31 pm)

10/21/2015 12:51 pm  #20

Indeed I saw what you highlighted.  You saw and read that as a pre-meditated excuse!  And might I suggest that is about the 1,000th time you have used the word excuse.  I got your point about excuses a long, long time ago. I didn't read the coach's comments in the article as you did!!  Rather, I read and saw them as his acclamation of how good the A-10 has become. Remember--Coach Ferry said it at A-10 Media Day!!!  Don't you just think that maybe, just maybe he was hyping the A-10??  Let it up to our readers to decide for themselves.  We are both entitled to our opinions.

10/21/2015 2:02 pm  #21

I am sure there was some hype for the A10 in his comment, but I am also sure he was laying a predicate just in case he is unable to win.  

Grammy, I am glad you finally got my point abut his excuses.  Since I sense I hit a nerve, I might alert you that when I precieve Ferry making excuses this season (which I hope he does not, and mans up) you will hear me note it again.  The reason why is that IMHO there needs to be a sense of urgency to win this year.  The attrition in fan support, season ticket holders, doners and people that actually care about DU hoops has to be reversed before there is nothing left.  The only way to reverse this is to start winning. I don't think you disagree with that. 

10/21/2015 3:45 pm  #22

Well said, I agree that there is no time to waste in turning this around.  No time for excuses.

10/21/2015 9:51 pm  #23

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

I don't want to re-hash the Everhart coaching profile, but he didn't make one single NCAA tournament in 18 years as a head coach.  That's a colossal failure and not going to work every day and winning. 

For what it's worth, Ferry does believe he is building toward something.  That has come out of almost every interview I've seen with him.  I could also do without the complaining about where the program was when he took over.  But, he is right.  It was in horrific shape and that's why in my mind, this is year 3 for him and not year 4.  I read a prediction on CBS yesterday that suggested Ferry has accumulated the talent to crash into the top half of the league next year.  That's an outsiders view, not anyone who has allegiances toward Jim or any other Duquesne personality. 

As for Harper, he has talked about facilities.  Unless and until he comes up with a plan to demolish AJP and build a new arena, I don't want to really hear anything from him.  It wasn't his fault that Amodio sunk millions into a piece of crap arena.  It's up to Harper to figure out a way to get a new facility.  That's on him. 

Hey WEB; A-10 Coaches know more than you and me, and most years they are right, Dukes finish 11th with a loosing record. Doesn't sound like the Ron years? Why you keep compairing Ferry to Ron?  Ferry hasn't (and won't) win here, but ever.  Each year Ferry keeps loosing, this "Ron Thing and you"  just gets more bizzarre.

Last edited by NapaDuke (10/21/2015 10:53 pm)

10/22/2015 5:14 am  #24

NapaDuke wrote:

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

Hey WEB; A-10 Coaches know more than you and me, and most years they are right, Dukes finish 11th with a loosing record. Doesn't sound like the Ron years? Why you keep compairing Ferry to Ron?  Ferry hasn't (and won't) win here, but ever.  Each year Ferry keeps loosing, this "Ron Thing and you"  just gets more bizzarre.

I think it was a combination of media and coaches poll and not just coaches. So, I have no idea if an isolated coaches poll would have duquesne in the same spot. Davidson was picked 12th last year and wiped away the league.  So, these things mean absolutely nothing. I think the bigger question is after this season, are you seeing something that suggests we are building towards something. Ferry believes he is doing it.

As far as Ron and Jim goes, I'm done with it.

Time to move on.

10/22/2015 6:31 am  #25

Thanks WEB. I know it took decades for the last confederate soldier to give up the ghost, and when I saw your post, it made me think of that chap.

Ultimately, Ferry (and quite fairly) will and should be judged on his own record. Your point about when we start the clock on evaluating him is noted, but, I disagree with it. 40% of the starting lineup this year is the same as it was Ferry's first year. Had he recruited over Colter and Jones, I actually would have agreed with you. But they are not only still starting, they are considered two of our best players. Year two was almost satisfying, largely because he brought in two veteran front court players, and even after Tra'Vaughn White and the mini cupcake backcourt backfired like a '69 Malibu, working the only decent shooter into the lineup made the season somewhat tolerable. Last year, year 3, Ferry and allies tried to sell us on the Mason at PG experiment, and the arrival of Willis Reed the Second. More crashing, more burning. I won't even bring up Jordan Stevens.

So here we are in year 4. This is Ferry's second year with all of his own guys. We still have three opinions on this board:
1. Those who think this is a must-win year.
2. Those who continue to line up excuses.
3. Me. I'm completely unimpressed by the way Ferry's teams play offense or defense, shoot FTs, and rebound. I might come around when I see those things change.

Meantime, with Ferry's contract, I'll be long dead and voting in Chicago mayoral elections by the time it expires. So if things don't change on the court, you won't hear much from me.

Board footera