Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2015 10:37 am  #1

Scrimmage

Unfortunately I wasn’t in town to see the blue-red scrimmage last night. For those of you who were there, what’s your take away? How are the new comers playing? Also does anyone have film of the game?

Roll Dukes Roll

10/31/2015 10:51 am  #2

10/31/2015 11:54 am  #3

Re: Scrimmage

Apparently, it was mostly man to man defense.

10/31/2015 1:21 pm  #4

For whaterver it may be worth, here is my post in response to questions from Steve regarding my observations of the scrimmage/game.  It was a full 40 minute game with three refs and a 30 second shot clock.  You are correct it was mostly man defense with a sprinkling of match-up zone by the Blue squad.

Steve:  To answer in sequence:  (1) Game played at a fast pace on both ends.  (2) Smith guarded Colter and Castro guarded Mason.  Castro actually did a decent job on Mason.  And he lit it up in the second half.  Seemed like he wasn't interested in the first half. Didn't make any difference who guarded Colter.  He was smoking hot all night long including 10 of 11 free throws.  Lots of points from all players off the fast break at both ends.  (3) Sanders can rebound. He has legitimate D-1 skills and will help later on in the year.  But, he is a nice legitimate 225 lb.-- 6-8 body.  Steel likes to fire 3's and plays decent defense.  Taryn Smith could help this year if eligible!!  He and Castro will make a nice combo of guards to start with next year. (3) Tysean Powell and Jordan Robinson both had a decent amount of offensive boards.  Robinson is doing a nice job of shaking off the rust that plagued him last year.  Powell is a beast.  He goes a legit 220 and will have a body like Ovie next year if he continues his weight. Plus, he can still ELEVATE AND I MEAN ELEVATE.  (4)  Lewis has improved as much from his Soph year to now as he did in his Frosh to Soph year.  4 or 5 blocks.    (5) Overall there is reason to be encouraged with our inside people.  That part of the Dukes game interested me more than anything in the game/scrimmage.  I think we have more than hope going for us inside.   Don't think of who will start and don't care.  I care about who will finish!! Our cupboard is no longer bare.  I believe you will like what you see.  Incidentally, for those who care, the coaches used mostly man defenses with a little match-up zone mixed in by the Blue squad.  .Let me add this edit.  My comments are not intended to denigrate any other player.  I had no problem with the showings of Micah, L.G., Jeremiah, Eric James and Jackson. I merely highlighted what stood out to me.  There were about 250-300 fans in attendance including a decent amount of students.

Last edited by grammudder (10/31/2015 1:25 pm)

10/31/2015 1:56 pm  #5

Thanks for the first hand comments. I take from your comments you did not see any indication that Sanders had any lingering effect from his surgery? 

10/31/2015 2:26 pm  #6

Looks like Gill is still hanging outside on offense going 4 for 10 from the 3.

10/31/2015 2:41 pm  #7

WashPaRick wrote:

Well, if he's going to do that, 40% from 3 is where he better be. That's a good percentage, equal to shooting 60% from 2.

10/31/2015 3:22 pm  #8

I noticed no limitations in Sanders getting up and down the floor.  As a mattter of fact now that you mentioned him, I was impressed with his up and down the floor mobility.  As to Gill, yeah he launched 10 three's but there wasn't one that was severely contested or ill chosen.  I had no problem with his shot selections.  Besides that he was able to take threes because Robinson was working the low post pretty well.  The Red team only worked Robinson down low while the Blues used a double low or dual elbow formation with Lewis and Powell.

10/31/2015 3:31 pm  #9

WashPaRick wrote:

4 out of 10 isn't bad at all. It's a scrimmage. The numbers will improve doing the season. Have faith!

10/31/2015 4:14 pm  #10

4 of 10 with no one covering him doesn't imply getting better when the games begin. Also tells me not much defense being played.

This will be more of the same this year, as I predict.

10/31/2015 4:26 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

4 of 10 with no one covering him doesn't imply getting better when the games begin. Also tells me not much defense being played.

10/31/2015 4:30 pm  #12

ElDuque wrote:

That is your negative opinion which you are entitled to but I predict this will be a turn around season and the team as a whole will do far better than expected.

10/31/2015 6:07 pm  #13

EMH wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

4 out of 10 isn't bad at all. It's a scrimmage. The numbers will improve doing the season. Have faith!

Wasn't implying 4 for 10 was bad. As a matter of fact it's good for a 6'8 forward. I'd rather see him playing more around the basket.

10/31/2015 6:32 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

Since you want to take info from a scrimmage as an indicator of future success or failure, thoughts on Colter?  I was told he was absolutely unguardable and a floor general. This is what happens when you have guys stay 4 years and develop.

10/31/2015 6:32 pm  #15

WashPaRick wrote:

EMH wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Wasn't implying 4 for 10 was bad. As a matter of fact it's good for a 6'8 forward. I'd rather see him playing more around the basket.

Ok. It would be nice to see more of an inside game as well. With his size he can do both.

11/01/2015 7:25 am  #16

While ENH has chosen to label me as negative because my opinion is different, my cautionary note should as WEB says imply that a scrimmage is fool's gold. So to answer WEB's question, you'll have to see if there is game improvement when the competition starts. Colter has proven he can get his points in some nights, but when teams pressed him and when he attacked the lane he was always overwhelmed. That takes a team right out of its rhythm when the PG is suffocated.

My point about more of the same this year has to do with lack of defense as described by Grammudder, and using Gill like another backcourt player.

Works in scrimmages not games.

Let's see how it works against Robert Morris, for example. If Colter and Gill crush them, then you have something.

11/01/2015 11:39 am  #17

E.D.  I did not say there was a lack of defense.  The fact that the kids played at a pell-mell pace for 40 minutes with a 30 second shot clock and  got only 80 and 74 points respectively, even without seeing one second of the scrimmage, should tell you that  there was some modicum of defense. Of that particular scrimmage night, WEB's report was correct.  Colter was unstoppable because of his high percentage of made buckets.  As to Gill, I said "As to [b]Gill, [/b]yeah he launched 10 three's but there wasn't one that was severely contested or ill chosen.  I had no problem with his shot selections."  The reason they were not severly contested was because he took them when they were available and were not otherwise forced shots or launched from Forbes Avenue near the Red Ring Grille!!. The whole point of my post was that I saw hope for the inside game.  Gill didn't play the backcourt.   His three attempts were from the wing as he set up as a three or on the end of a break after good ball movement. My sense of your skepticism is encapsuled in your last sentence, to-wit, "Let's see how it works against Robert Morris, for example. If Colter and Gill crush them, then you have something." If that  occurs my sense is also that you too may see hope for this team.  

11/01/2015 6:23 pm  #18

Can you understand how "not one ... Contested" equated to lack of defense in my mind?

Especially if they're playing man?

I'll come around when the win total hits 20 (one year).

11/01/2015 7:56 pm  #19

Anyone know when the Towson scrimmage is?

11/01/2015 8:02 pm  #20

Tarin Smith also performed well. Seems like our backcourt is set for this year and the next two. Just continue to build and develop the front court.

Anyone think Powell and not Gill is the key here in the front court?  Seems like he had the highest ceiling.

11/01/2015 10:03 pm  #21

The Towson scrimmage is this Saturday.

11/01/2015 11:13 pm  #22

Great job grammudder! As for LG I really don't like my 6'8 guy taking 10 3s. I just feel like we can use his athletics and length in better ways and leave those shots to our shooters. That being said ill live with 4 for 10. I also really hope we have fixed the 3 point defense. Playing man will help but good god watching last years shooting gallery against us still causes me to wake up at night.  

Roll Dukes Roll

11/02/2015 9:12 am  #23

WEB wrote:

Anyone think Powell and not Gill is the key here in the front court? Seems like he had the highest ceiling.

Powell is clearly, by a wide margin, our most athletic front court player.  He can chase down rebounds, attack the basket off the dribble, and get out and lead the fast break. If he can play better defense without fouling I think he will prove to be our most effective front court player.  Also, I was looking at the box score, and while it does not tell the whole story, Gill had only one offensive rebound in his 8 total. I defer to coach Ferry, but I don't see how the Dukes can afford to give one of your biggest players 36 minutes and have him only produce one offensive rebound.

Last edited by CLK (11/02/2015 9:13 am)

11/02/2015 9:47 am  #24

Let me use the stats to maybe reinforce why I like our what I saw of inside game.  The 3,4 and 5 of the Blue team (Lewis, Powell and James) had 34 pts and 25 boards.  The 3,4 and 5 of the Red team (Robinson, Gill and Jeremiah Jones) had 31 pts and 22 boards.  Blues had 20 offensive boards while Red had 9.  Overall Blue out rebounded the Red 50 to 30 some.  Gill's numbers were 17 and 8.  Robinson's were 8 and 8.  Powell went 21 and 10. Lewis was 9 and 5.  In head to head at the 4 and 5 spots the numbers were 25 and 16 to 31 and 15.  I didn't want to talk about the intensity level of the game since it was just team players versus team players.  But it was a war between Lewis and Robinson.  If it were an Atlantic 10 game both Lewis and Robinson would have fouled each other out in the first half.  My point is they practiced hard.  Yet it was Powell and Colter who shone as practicing hardest.  The thing you will see again and again about Powell is that his athletic skills will more than not overcome his impetuosity of his youth.   Coach Ferry watched the scrimmage from the sidelines and let his assistants coach.  But, when Powell was removed from the game, Coach Ferry made it his business to talk to him on at least three occasions giving him coaching pointers.  Again, it wasn't a league game but the old saying that "you play like you practice" rang true.  Colter didn't need any pointers the way he played.  Hope these memory refreshed sideline notes mean something to whoever cares.  

Last edited by grammudder (11/02/2015 9:49 am)

11/02/2015 12:55 pm  #25

WEB, Tarin Smith will be one of the top PGs in the A-10, if not the best, the minute he steps on the court. His HS coach, the great Bob Hurley, has sent some all-time point guards into the NCAA and ultimately into the NBA. 

Board footera