Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2015 8:51 pm  #1

DK Notebook 11.2

Once again here is this week's notebook. A lot of really good MBB content in here. Again not to promote but if you don't have a subscription, I would seriously encourage getting one. Again it took me forever to decide to get one and I have not been disappointed.

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2015/11/02/duquesne-athletics-ferry-preaches-accountability/

11/02/2015 8:57 pm  #2

Re: DK Notebook 11.2

Good column once again. Ferry sure talks a good game.

11/02/2015 8:59 pm  #3

Yes he certainly does. I asked if he felt excuses were being made and he said no there never have been any excuses. Jury can be considered out on that one in the eyes of many Duquesne fans. 

11/03/2015 7:47 am  #4

You're talking to the right guy on that topic. Worse than the excuses, where the heck has this staff been with the defense being so ridiculously porous? That's all about work and effort. If it's not happening on the court, then you yank people. But Jimmy likes playing an Iron Duke 7 man rotation, so you really can't teach lessons if you leave guys on the court.

11/03/2015 12:07 pm  #5

zacharymweiss wrote:

Yes he certainly does. I asked if he felt excuses were being made and he said no there never have been any excuses. Jury can be considered out on that one in the eyes of many Duquesne fans. 

yeah, right up there with "I am not a crook" and "If you like your doctor you can keep him."

Call me skeptical

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (11/03/2015 12:07 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/03/2015 1:52 pm  #6

Ferry after he got his clock cleaned by a young short handed Robert Morris team December 2014.  Got to wonder if the bus tracks ever washed out of the Dukes uniforms.

11/03/2015 3:48 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

Ferry after he got his clock cleaned by a young short handed Robert Morris team December 2014.  Got to wonder if the bus tracks ever washed out of the Dukes uniforms.

I don't have a problem with any of what he said. He said it was up to him to find solutions. The AAU system sucks, and has made the game dirtier than it's ever been, and that's saying a lot, as college sports have been filthy since the 1880's.

11/03/2015 4:13 pm  #8

duq81, maybe in a different time or circumstance, but in the aftermath of the RMU loss where the players and fans were looking for answers as to why they were humiliated by a young RMU team with their best player out (and with kids from the same "society") it came across poorly as a lame excuse to many.  But this was hardly the only time he made excuses for losing.  I could point to other times he made excuses, but what's the point.  If he doesn't win this season it won't matter. 

11/03/2015 4:46 pm  #9

Wow. Once again I'm underwhelmed by Jimmy Ferry.

When Nee was fired and echoed similar sentiments, he was excoriated on DU message boards for being a disinterested, disenfranchised relic who couldn't bring discipline to the program and wasn't earning his paycheck. Ferry, I presume, gets a pass.

So how does he explain the success that other programs have? Is it the quality of the kids? They're able to win simply because they're better athletes? I'm sure it's partially true, but face facts: Coach K., Calipari, Pitino, Izzo, etc., get the most out of every kid they recruit. Kids want to play hard for them. And we have coaches in the A-10 who seem to win every year no matter who's coming through their program. So what's holding Duquesne back? It seems clear: Kids who are lower on the talent scale who aren't willing to work hard. Not exactly program-building material, now is it? 

I keep saying this: If a kid isn't doing something you want him to, or is doing something you don't want him to, then take away the thing that is most precious to him: playing time. 4 years x 30 GPY x 40 MPG = 4,800 minutes. As each game goes in the books, you don't get those minutes back. If they don't get this message, then take scholarships away.

Let's stop pinning medals on everyone and start raising champions. Please.

11/03/2015 4:49 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

What relevance does this have right now?  If you want to rip him apart for his past, then you also have to acknowledge his accomplishments.  2 NCAA appearances. 

11/03/2015 5:00 pm  #11

I was responding to Ferry's quote that " there never have been any excuses".  That just is not true.  But you are correct that it does not have relevance to right now.  Perhaps I should have let it go by.  I just want to win this season without seeing these types of quotes again.  WEB, by the way, Ferry's past 2 NCAA appearances at another school mean as much to me as Danny Nee's  many past appearances in the NCAA and NIT championship at other schools did when discussing his record at Duquesne.  It is time to win now, right here at Duquesne.  

Last edited by CLK (11/03/2015 5:07 pm)

11/03/2015 6:51 pm  #12

Tejas (Post #5)

NO call ME Skeptic Al

11/03/2015 8:19 pm  #13

Rex Ryan got to back-to-back AFC title games. Then he turned into Rich Kotite.

11/03/2015 8:47 pm  #14

CLK- great location of quotes and yes, there were more.  Maybe the writer should send those to him...I mean the Atlantic 10 is a BEAR!!!   

11/04/2015 9:22 am  #15

I agree with comments made about the current coaching staff and situation though I'm willing to give Ferry some time unlike others.  I know that's not a popular view.  Still, past results mean little and it is time to win now regardless of how tough the A10 is perceived to be.

What I will add though is some of the comments made in the post re: the RMU follow up seem to hold up when you look around at sports in general and see what others are experiencing.  Just using the Pirates and the Steelers for example it is as if athletes are brain dead.  Steelers - stupid penalties because there is little discipline and a need on the part of some to show up the other team.  Pirates - no knowledge of how to run the bases and when to run, where to throw the ball on a play, etc.  Just a couple of examples of what seems to be a trend with athletes on a lot of levels - little grounding in the sport, little understanding of fundamentals, coaches who are frustrated or who can't or won't teach or discipline and athletes who won't take the education or discipline anyway.  While this isn't everywhere it is more widespread than I ever recall seeing it.

11/04/2015 9:34 am  #16

Mulder I hear you and agree with everything but I do have one point and I believe ED made it very affectively in one of his post. There is only one way to hold kids responsible at the college level and that is playing time.  Now many may say the bench was never long enough in Ferry's early years to hold players responsible but I would disagree that it never hurts to teach a lesson and now he supposedly has the extended bench. We will see.  Like him or not TJ is a fundamentally sound player who along with that and hustle is doing things no one would have thought possible.

11/04/2015 1:19 pm  #17

PS I think Ferry's contract is extended until the next millennium. He'll have all the time he needs unless someone has deep pockets. Really, really deep pockets.

Board footera