Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2015 11:00 am  #1

New President

Since we all believe this will affect the program, thought I would post here that Duquesne names current Law School Dean, Ken Gormley, as President..

Last edited by Mulder (11/04/2015 11:56 am)

11/04/2015 11:13 am  #2

11/04/2015 12:14 pm  #3

Re: New President

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/education/25duquesne.html?referer=&_r=0

I thought there was some controversy with Gourmley in the past and I found it. 

I don't know whether it was a good selection or if Charlie named his successor (like he did the after the AD search committee found candidates)?

Don't University presidents normally come from another institution?   

I just think it is better to have new blood in that position.  Time will tell.   

Before people go ballistic on my post, I don't know Gourmley at all.  And he could turn out to be the best President ever and I hope he does.

He appears qualified based on his law school accomplishments.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/04/2015 12:22 pm)

11/04/2015 1:00 pm  #4

Thanks for the link Kurt.  Given what I suspect would be a large pool of qualified candidates I don't get why DU would make a controversial choice.  I will wait until I see what his position is on supporting hoops.

11/04/2015 1:31 pm  #5

So after two nation-wide searches, the new AD comes from Dayton and the new president from  hundred yards outside Old Main.

At a minimum, ask Korn Ferry or whoever you used for some money back.

11/04/2015 2:05 pm  #6

As a recent Duquesne law graduate and someone who got to know Dean Gormley pretty well, I can tell you that he is a great leader and very approachable, something that Dougherty was not really known for being. Dean Gormley turned around the law school, as evidenced by the increase in rankings and perception nationally. That said, I do not really know his stance on the importance of college athletics to the health and growth of a university. I implore all of you to email him on the topic and show him that athletics, specifically basketball, can have a tremendous effect on the reputation and growth of universities (George mason, Xavier, gonzaga, etc.).

11/04/2015 2:33 pm  #7

ElDuque wrote:

So after two nation-wide searches, the new AD comes from Dayton and the new president from hundred yards outside Old Main.

What the...?  Do you believe the greater the distance the applicant is from Duquesne's campus, the better the selection?

Last edited by godukes1970 (11/04/2015 4:34 pm)

11/04/2015 2:42 pm  #8

godukes1970 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

So after two nation-wide searches, the new AD comes from Dayton and the new president from hundred yards outside Old Main.

What the...?  Do you believe the greater the distance the applicant is from Duquesne's campus the better the selection.

I'm not answering for ED.   But I had the same impression that he does.   The greater the miles from campus means nothing.    A person with a fresh perspective, IMO means everything.   And you get that from not hiring from within for the President. 

Again just my opinion.  He is qualified for the position.

The AD being from Dayton doesn't bother me.

11/04/2015 4:32 pm  #9

duqkurt wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

What the...?  Do you believe the greater the distance the applicant is from Duquesne's campus the better the selection.

I'm not answering for ED. But I had the same impression that he does. The greater the miles from campus means nothing. A person with a fresh perspective, IMO means everything. And you get that from not hiring from within for the President.

Again just my opinion. He is qualified for the position.

The AD being from Dayton doesn't bother me.

Generally, it tends to mean nothing as to whether a new AD, President, or coach comes from within, nearby, or far away. Candidates tend to fail, or succeed at about the same rate regardless of where they come from. The quality of the candidate is most important. Of course, if the job is a crap job, due to many various reasons, then you tend to get failure, no matter how good the candidate, with very few exceptions.

11/04/2015 5:03 pm  #10

Gents I can only say that the university reeks of a need to change and change generally doesn't come from within. Three of our neighboring institutions ( CMU, Pitt and RMU) all made changes at the top and each of those situations they went outside the walls. IMHO they got it right. I hope I have to eat these words but this does not look like a dynamic game changing hire.

11/04/2015 5:50 pm  #11

Executive search firms are expensive. They cast a wide net and try to present a slate of candidates they think are good fits for the client's criteria.

Or, you can post internal and external reqs and sort out the candidates yourself. What I'm suggesting is that the search firm expense was not necessary given the two choices. Give the money to, say, women's basketball instead, or don't spend it and lessen the tuition increase next year.

At no time did I make an evaluative comment regarding either the new AD or the new president. I wish both of them great success.

11/04/2015 6:26 pm  #12

The Dome wrote:

Gents I can only say that the university reeks of a need to change and change generally doesn't come from within. Three of our neighboring institutions ( CMU, Pitt and RMU) all made changes at the top and each of those situations they went outside the walls. IMHO they got it right. I hope I have to eat these words but this does not look like a dynamic game changing hire.

Agree 100%.  And I hope to eat my words too.

11/04/2015 6:49 pm  #13

I was at Duquesne Law during the Jim Satalin era.  Prof. Gormley wasn't there yet, but I do know people who know him real well.  He's a HUGE baseball fan, the type who has visited several ball parks.  I don't know how he feels about college basketball, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that he understands the importance of the game to a university.

Don't be put off by any "controversies" you hear or read about.  That's just the way it is at Duquesne Law.  When I was there, the professors were at each other's throats constantly & it continues to this day.  Fortunately, they only fight each other on days that end in "y."

With all that said, I have no idea whether he'll make a good President or not.  I'm willing to give him a chance.

11/04/2015 8:07 pm  #14

Nice to see the crepe hangers haven't lost their touch.  Can't criticize men's hoops enough so they turn to criticizing the choice for President regardless of his credentials.  Would that any of us had the CV that Dean Gormley has. When you read his CV you could  just about interchange the names of John Edward Murray, Jr. with Kenneth Gormley.  Wanna find out something about the intelligence of the guy?  Read a fascinating 775 page tome titled "The Death of American Virtue--Clinton vs. Starr".   The Board made the right choice regardless of the air miles from his residence to Old Main's Fifth Floor.  (or is it the Fourth Floor?) (or is it the Third Floor?)

Last edited by grammudder (11/04/2015 8:09 pm)

11/04/2015 9:18 pm  #15

grammudder wrote:

Nice to see the crepe hangers haven't lost their touch.  Can't criticize men's hoops enough so they turn to criticizing the choice for President regardless of his credentials.  Would that any of us had the CV that Dean Gormley has. When you read his CV you could  just about interchange the names of John Edward Murray, Jr. with Kenneth Gormley.  Wanna find out something about the intelligence of the guy?  Read a fascinating 775 page tome titled "The Death of American Virtue--Clinton vs. Starr".   The Board made the right choice regardless of the air miles from his residence to Old Main's Fifth Floor.  (or is it the Fourth Floor?) (or is it the Third Floor?)

I was waiting for this.   I never said he wasn't qualified or didn't wish him well.   All I said was that I thought it was strange they didn't bring someone in from the outside which seems to be the trend with most other schools. 

You can call me a crepe hanger (whatever the hell that is).  But once again you take a conversation about a selection process and turn in personal.

I said in two separate posts he is qualified for the position but you always read what you want to.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/04/2015 9:20 pm)

11/04/2015 9:22 pm  #16

Grammudder, enlighten me. Who criticized the new president? I can't find any such post on this board.

Can no topic be discussed among adults without name calling? I thought all of the posts in this thread were very reasonable. What exactly is a crepe paper hanger? Excuse my ignorance, I'm a poor dumb Jersey guy who grew up in a bad neighborhood. We didn't have crepe paper, and we didn't eat crepes. So this is a new one on me.

11/04/2015 9:41 pm  #17

Well, let me count the ways!  Either the new President or the process of finding him was criticized.  Kurt says he found a controversy involving a former Dean of the Law School who was fired but doesn't tie in Gormley except to suggest a conspiracy between he and the current Prez.  CLK thinks the choice is controversial but does not say why.  E.D.thinks the school should get $$$ back or maybe you said it should not have been spent on a Prez search.  Dome thinks the school "reeks" for a change and generally it should not come from within.  That's 4 by my math. My recollection is the former Prez, John Edward Murray, Jr., as he liked to call himself,  was a former Dean of Duquesne's Law School. (he Taught me Contracts and Restitution) Sorta sounds just like what the new President does.  They are both renowned authors.  Gormley was nominated for the PA Supreme Court and would have won a hands down approval except for the fact that the nominee from the other side had a little problem with his e-mails and the PA Senate would not take a vote on Gormley without the other nominee also being voted on.   Crepe is what is seen in coffins or draped around coffins.  You may think the posts were very reasonable.  In view of the new Presidents CV which was totally ignored by the posters, the posts were premature and not reasoned, in my humble opinion. 

11/04/2015 9:58 pm  #18

Unless you work for the search firm, I honestly don't understand your objection to my post. There is no criticism of anyone or anything. I'm merely pointing out something that seems obvious to me, which is that the winning candidates could have been found just as easily without a search firm.

I also said I wished success for both the new president and AD.

11/05/2015 7:42 am  #19

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2015752B2EF4/11/04/Duquesne-University-names-Law-School-Dean-Gormley-as-new-president-pittsburgh/stories/201511040159

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/9378973-74/gormley-president-university#axzz3qaKflwtl

IMHO, I see his best qualities as: 1. Passion for teaching & his engagement with students; 2. Setting his priorities on engaging leaders with whom he will need to work; 3. Recognition of the spiritual aspect of a Duquesne education. Also important, I think he wants to make the Duquesne brand stronger. Off to a good start.

Twist away folks. But if I don't reply to your attempts to vilify me in order to serve your own agendas, don't take it personally.

11/05/2015 8:20 am  #20

I made this suggestion a while ago. I think a whole mess of certified letters hitting the desks of the new president and the new AD, from all of us, individually, about what we expect, what we want, and (for me anyway) what it will take to get our checkbooks open again, regarding the Mens hoops program, would be a good thing.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/05/2015 8:29 am  #21

Hopefully the DK reporter can pin down Gormley on his plan or lack of one for Men's basketball. 

11/05/2015 9:05 am  #22

WEB wrote:

Hopefully the DK reporter can pin down Gormley on his plan or lack of one for Men's basketball. 

That's what I want to know about Gormley.  Will he be able to shake the dollars lose necessary to achieve the stated goal of DU being a top tier A10 team, or will he be another part of the long history of neglect and indifference by the DU administration.  As to his CV, RV or TV I could care less. 

11/05/2015 12:13 pm  #23

I noticed in one of the press releases from Duquesne it mentioned the fact that the "Duquesne Corporation" is run by a Spiritan priest.  I wonder how much power the President of the University  has in relation to the Corporate Chairman.  I would assume that the President must clear any changes in spending with the Chairman of the Corporation.  My assumption is that the Spiritan's keep a close watch on spending for things like sports.  Perhaps someone has insight as to the interrelationship between the President and the Spiritan Chairman.

11/05/2015 2:44 pm  #24

Grammy fire away I like ED find it amazing that a comment that I believe is hard to argue gets construed as a attack on the current choice. I also could care less about his ability to write a book of any kind. The university is a distant and I mean distant thought in the mind share of both the media and many of the members of the corporate community. He has one job and one job only reading between the lines of articles coving his promotion and that is to repair that gap and bring in the cash. How about some NEW IDEAS.

11/05/2015 4:23 pm  #25

WEB, I think Zachary is a smart reporter and will ask good questions. Dome, if you stand too close to the lightning rod (me), you'll feel the heat. I think some posters see my name and write their own stuff in the message box, or read some nefarious motive into everything I say and do.

Rather than, say, asking me what I meant.

Board footera