Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2015 10:39 pm  #1

Pitt

Biggest test so far.

12/02/2015 8:05 am  #2

Re: Pitt

Where will Vegas have this game?

12/02/2015 8:17 am  #3

WEB wrote:

Where will Vegas have this game?

My guess is Pitt by 6.

12/02/2015 8:56 am  #4

Pomeroy has this one as a 7 point Pitt victory - 80-73; giving the Dukes a 25% chance of winning.

12/02/2015 9:05 am  #5

At my young age my two most memorable Pitt Vs Duq times are

1) Pitt vs Duq at Palumbo during Shawn James era.  It was packed like I've never seen it.  Pitt jumped out to 12-0 lead but Duq closed in. 

2). Double OT game at Mellon when David had Goliath beat but Eric Evans thew ball away with 13 seconds left in reg. We should have won

12/02/2015 9:48 am  #6

lilpav30 wrote:

1) Pitt vs Duq at Palumbo during Shawn James era. It was packed like I've never seen it. Pitt jumped out to 12-0 lead but Duq closed in.

2). Double OT game at Mellon when David had Goliath beat but Eric Evans thew ball away with 13 seconds left in reg. We should have won

#2 was the game that totally took the wind out of my sails as far as getting excited about this game. We led the entire game except for the final 8 seconds and lost in over time!   After that I never held out any hope that we would be competitive, let alone beat Pitt.

That is until this Friday......maybe 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/02/2015 9:56 am  #7

Tejas_Duke wrote:

lilpav30 wrote:

1) Pitt vs Duq at Palumbo during Shawn James era. It was packed like I've never seen it. Pitt jumped out to 12-0 lead but Duq closed in.

#2 was the game that totally took the wind out of my sails as far as getting excited about this game. We led the entire game except for the final 8 seconds and lost in over time!   After that I never held out any hope that we would be competitive, let alone beat Pitt.

That is until this Friday......maybe 

That was my first year at Duquesne. It was a good season but I still don't know how we managed to lose it, up 16 at the half. That turnover by EE... Brutal

12/02/2015 11:01 am  #8

lilpav30 wrote:

You must have gone to school when I did because those are both of my Pitt memories as well.  The Shawn James game was so much fun.  The Eric Evans game killed me. I swear that Eric dribbled the ball off of his own foot. It's shocking to think that Rodrigo Peggau was considered a serviceable big man at the time.  Dear lord was he awful in addition to the rest of our big men.  

Last edited by Simms (12/02/2015 11:04 am)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/02/2015 12:23 pm  #9

Simms wrote:

lilpav30 wrote:

You must have gone to school when I did because those are both of my Pitt memories as well.  The Shawn James game was so much fun.  The Eric Evans game killed me. I swear that Eric dribbled the ball off of his own foot. It's shocking to think that Rodrigo Peggau was considered a serviceable big man at the time.  Dear lord was he awful in addition to the rest of our big men.  

There were geniuses on this board who felt we pulled one over on Izzo when we got Evans, and were calling on Ron to bench Aaron Jackson to play him.

12/02/2015 1:22 pm  #10

Pure conjecture...
-Though I don't think it will have any impact, I am glad PItt is going into this game after losing to Purdue.  My lowly opinion is that they may be a little down and if they came in after knocking off the #11 team in the country they would feel even stronger.  I do not believe that because they lost to them they will be more fired up, as we haven't been a threat to them in a decade.
-Of course I hope we win, but if we don't, let's make it close.  Oh yes, we can win this year.
-I think this will be a very big test for Lewis and our forwards.  Watching the game last night, that is going to be a difficult match-up for us.  Our guards should be fine...now whether they are on that night and the ball goes in is a different story, but as we all know our guards are our strength.  Lewis is fine with guys smaller than him...but Friday night is a different story.
-I watched Luther play and wonder if he would have made much of an impact THIS year if he had decided to come to Duquesne.

Last edited by FAM (12/02/2015 1:24 pm)

12/02/2015 1:58 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

Simms wrote:

lilpav30 wrote:

There were geniuses on this board who felt we pulled one over on Izzo when we got Evans, and were calling on Ron to bench Aaron Jackson to play him.

The double OT game was the single greatest coaching disaster in my history of watching basketball.

Hope we win Friday.

12/02/2015 2:27 pm  #12

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Simms wrote:

The double OT game was the single greatest coaching disaster in my history of watching basketball.

Hope we win Friday.

Another shot at Everhart WEB? Just can't let it alone. And people wonder why Ron keeps coming up on this board.

12/02/2015 3:21 pm  #13

Westender wrote:

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Hope we win Friday.

Another shot at Everhart WEB? Just can't let it alone. And people wonder why Ron keeps coming up on this board.

It's not a shot. It's what happened in that game. Everyone agrees. Not earth shattering.

I only raised it because people brought up their memories. 

I want new ones created now. I think we have a real shot friday.

12/02/2015 6:07 pm  #14

Ahhh how could I forget Rodrigo or the likes of Elijah Palmer and Ron Doke (spelling) who dated our athletic trainer assistant for the wrestling team at the time .

Jamie is going to try and shut down Colter and Mason and make somebody beat them.   Thats guaranteed

12/02/2015 6:10 pm  #15

WEB, I thought the greatest coaching disaster I ever saw was the loss to the Bonnies at home last season, followed by the loss to Dayton at home two years ago. 

Last edited by CLK (12/02/2015 6:12 pm)

12/02/2015 6:16 pm  #16

Dixon will try and drive on our bigs all night long.  As DK says, the Dukes' strengths are Pitt's weaknesses.  If our bigs play as well against Pitt as they did versus PSU, we will win.  We need Powell and Sanders to play well coming off the bench.  I trust in our three seniors to hold their own versus Pitt's 1, 2 and 3 spots.  Plus I like the new version of Eric James.  That is my story and I am sticking to it.  

12/02/2015 6:18 pm  #17

[list=1]

• Craig Meyer ‏@CraigMeyerPG   23m23 minutes ago That's not really an inflammatory statement from Colter. For everything Pitt's been in the Howland/Dixon era, fast isn't exactly one of them 

•  

12/02/2015 6:32 pm  #18

I agree mudder...that is what I was saying earlier.  Their key to beating us will be vs. our forwards and Lewis.
    In with this, and not that they won't be working hard, is that our two guards need to hit their shots.  I will be interested to see if Dixon plays a zone against us like he did against Purdue.  Wouldn't the key to beating us be playing a man to man - keeping close on our guards?  

12/02/2015 6:57 pm  #19

CLK wrote:

WEB, I thought the greatest coaching disaster I ever saw was the loss to the Bonnies at home last season, followed by the loss to Dayton at home two years ago. 

More importantly we have a real shot friday. Of the Everhart/Ferry era I believe this is our best chance.

12/02/2015 7:21 pm  #20

CLK wrote:

Hah! The greatest coaching disaster ever was back in 1982, when we discovered midway through the second half of a blowout against Penn St., that our sad guards couldn't bring the ball up court against freaking Mike Edelman. The blowout turned into a devastating loss. Anyone who has truly followed Duquesne Basketball since the 1970s knows that this was the very moment when the wheels truly fell off. The Dukes, who were above .500, and likely headed back to the NIT for a third straight year, collapsed, as we were pressed to death from that point on. We set a school record for losses (17 LOL!), and Mike Rice was fired. We haven't recovered since.

12/02/2015 7:25 pm  #21

lilpav30 wrote:

Ahhh how could I forget Rodrigo or the likes of Elijah Palmer and Ron Doke (spelling) who dated our athletic trainer assistant for the wrestling team at the time .

Jamie is going to try and shut down Colter and Mason and make somebody beat them. Thats guaranteed

Danny Nee couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag, but Elijah Palmer was the second best JC I've ever seen on the Bluff (behind James Hargrove). It was his strong play that got Nee an extension after a 12-17 season.

12/02/2015 7:49 pm  #22

James Hargrove is the only JUCO player among the nominees for the 100th anniversary team.

http://www.goduquesne.com/dukes100/

12/02/2015 8:15 pm  #23

Dixon will zone the Dukes and pound it inside. The Dukes have no one to body up with Mike Young. Two things that Dixon is relentless about are defense and rebounding. They will be the differences in this game and because of that I can't see the Dukes pulling a upset. I will stick by my guns that the Dukes are a weak rebounding team.

12/02/2015 8:27 pm  #24

Pitt has been terrible defensively the last 2 years. I can tell you don't watch many Pitt games. They have been so bad with their man to man defense that Dixon has been playing zone, and he's not a zone guy. If he plays zone, the threes will be there. Have to make them. If the threes drop, we can win, if not, it'll be tough.

I'm enjoying the beat down Fordham is putting on St. John's. Hope they can hold on. I want to see them crying over at the Holy Land Of Hoops. Arrogant *&%^%s!

12/02/2015 8:37 pm  #25

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

More importantly we have a real shot friday. Of the Everhart/Ferry era I believe this is our best chance.

Agree, this is our best shot since Ron lost in double overtime.  Hopefully Ferry can pull out a win.

Board footera