Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2015 10:27 pm  #1

Harper

http://triblive.com/mobile/9560699-96/duquesne-harper-basketball

Article about Harper and Duquesnd by Pittsburgh's most beloved sports writer (kidding). It's a good read but Rossi seems to be unaware that Duquesne already has practice courts

12/04/2015 9:51 am  #2

Re: Harper

My understanding is Harper wants a new arena.

12/04/2015 9:58 am  #3

Oh Boy, that will go over well with the 100 or so season ticket holders we have left

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/04/2015 10:02 am  #4

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Oh Boy, that will go over well with the 100 or so season ticket holders we have left

It's not his fault the past ADs were garbage and made bad decisions.

That's the issue I have here.  Just because somebody else screwed up, it shouldn't preclude new leaders from making the correct decisions moving forward. If he wants a new arena and he raises the capital, then it gets done. Just because Amodio updated a piece of crap into a slightly lesser piece of crap doesn't mean we can't deck it.

12/04/2015 10:21 am  #5

I think a new 8 or 9K seat arena could be a big boon for the university. You could concerts and other events. Obviously it's not going to be an easy thing to get done but I sure do like having an AD with a vision and higher expectations

12/04/2015 10:36 am  #6

Mulder wrote:

Have a few questions that I assume some of the more knowledgeable insiders would have answers to from this article since I'm just no good at reading into subtle comments so...

I agree we have practice courts so what exactly does he mean that we need them?  We need better ones and if so what is considered better?  More of them?  Totally separate ones for men's hoops?

Offices were recently added to the facility so they are already inadequate?  Probably not surprising if that's the case but where do they come up short?

When Rossi says:  "And few universities stand to benefit the way Duquesne could from the Penguins' planned development of the old Civic Arena site." exactly how do we benefit from that development?  Our location?

I agree AJP is not the most attractive facility esp considering what everyone else seems to be doing, so what is the answer there - totally redesign, tear down, rebuild, scrap?

I'm interested in where Harper sees this heading based on the article and rather than read into the comments I'm curious what others see in the comments made or know to be fact.

Mulder, this was such a poorly written column.  Most of the comments are coming from Rossi, not quotes from Harper. And I'm surprised that Rossi could even find Duquesne.  From what I have gathered directly and indirectly, the short term focus will be in upgrading AJP.  Long term, who knows?  It is truly dependent upon the fundraising, which will get a significant boost when the men's basketball team wins and is relevant in Pittsburgh.

12/04/2015 10:48 am  #7

I think for now a new arena is a pipe dream.   I'm not sure that the city would even sign off on a new arena.  The opitimal size would be 8k.   Putting a 8k arena where Palumbo currently sits (if it were used to house a successful DU mens bb team), would make traffic in that area unbelievable on nights when their are events at Consol and DU. 

Getting a new arena now would face some many more obstacles than when Palumbo was built. 

Having said that I really hope Harper can pull it off. 

I agree with Phoenix on Rossi and that article.  "Sturdy women's bb team".  They are more than sturdy.   And I don't see what the Pens developing of the lower hill has much if anything to benefit Duquesne.   

There are practice courts.  I guess more practice courts are always better than less practice courts but I don't get his point.

And from the looks of it, 4 years after Consol was built the site looks the same to me.  The Pens have not gotten the needed federal grants to aid in development.  And that is why you see a bunch of earth moved and nothing else done on that site.

12/04/2015 1:45 pm  #8

Also, some "money" numbers from the A-10 Message Board.  Athletic expenditures from 7/2014 through 6/2015.

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/618618-10-athletic-budgets-fiscal-year-2015-a.html

12/04/2015 2:40 pm  #9

I have to agree that a new arena is not going to happen anytime soon.  Unless there is some magical investor just waiting to give 50 million to the program, I can't see that happening anytime soon.  I look at Towson's new arena as the benchmark for what we would want to build.  Here is a link:  

http://www.towson.edu/secuarena/

That arena cost 85 million dollars.  Not a chance in hell that happens.  

My question pertains to Palumbo.  What exactly can be done with it?  It appears that the renovations are as good we can make them.  Can suites be added?  A new entrace that is more appealing?  I just can't imagine what can be done to spice up the place.  I love watching games there, and have said before that I prefer Palumbo to Consol, but I find it hard to believe that serious renovations are likely.  Richmond just dropped 20 million on their arena, so perhaps something like that would help, but who knows.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/04/2015 3:21 pm  #10

This article seems to have pulled thoughts and anecdotes from other people's articles over the past month or so.  

Love how he calls our women's team the Lady Dukes when that isn't their name.  Love how he says we need practice courts when we have them.  Did he even bother stepping foot on campus for this article/research?

This has the total feel of his editor going "Hey City Game today!  We need a Duquesne column out of you" and this is the usual Rossi result.  

I have to wonder if Rossi is suggesting that Duquesne use the space across from Consol to build a new arena or basketball practice facility now that U.S. Steel pulled out.

I think we all want to see Duquesne basketball back at national prominence but it has to be done the right way.      

Last edited by SteelCityVoice (12/04/2015 3:21 pm)

12/04/2015 3:31 pm  #11

Simms wrote:

I have to agree that a new arena is not going to happen anytime soon.  Unless there is some magical investor just waiting to give 50 million to the program, I can't see that happening anytime soon.  I look at Towson's new arena as the benchmark for what we would want to build.  Here is a link:  

My question pertains to Palumbo.  What exactly can be done with it?  It appears that the renovations are as good we can make them.  Can suites be added?  A new entrace that is more appealing?  I just can't imagine what can be done to spice up the place.  I love watching games there, and have said before that I prefer Palumbo to Consol, but I find it hard to believe that serious renovations are likely.  Richmond just dropped 20 million on their arena, so perhaps something like that would help, but who knows.  

I am no engineer, but would it be possible to knock the endzone walls down, and add some more seats, even taking over part of Magee street?  Can they make it any wider on the sides without interfering with Forbes?  How about luxury suites up high in this case?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/04/2015 4:45 pm  #12

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Simms wrote:

I am no engineer, but would it be possible to knock the endzone walls down, and add some more seats, even taking over part of Magee street?  Can they make it any wider on the sides without interfering with Forbes?  How about luxury suites up high in this case?

To me what would be a cool thing is to change up the lights. You see a place like Richmond. The lights are centered on the basketball court and it makes it look even cooler. Maybe I am the only one that thinks this way but I fell like it wouldn't cost that much money and it would add a lot to the game day atmosphere 

Roll Dukes Roll

12/04/2015 5:49 pm  #13

There is nothing you can do with Palumbo. The place sat over 6,000 when it opened, but it was full of bleachers, which will never fly with the casual fan. Making it plusher reduces the capacity. You could make it really nice if you reduced the capacity to 2,000, which of course would be a joke. If the program gets rolling, they'll play 4-6 games a year at the Consol, with all cupcakes, and lesser A 10 games at Palumbo.

Board footera