Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2015 9:23 pm  #1

Effort

Terrible effort by the players on the court. I'm sure we will heat how Ferry stinks but that was an absolute horrible effort by the guys who played. Absolutely disgusting.

Better bounce back quickly.

12/04/2015 9:35 pm  #2

Re: Effort

WEB wrote:

Terrible effort by the players on the court. I'm sure we will heat how Ferry stinks but that was an absolute horrible effort by the guys who played. Absolutely disgusting.

Better bounce back quickly.

I agree. The effort was poor tonight. I actually liked how ferry switched to the zone to stop pitt's run in the first and we went on a little run of our own to close the gap. But ours guys got outhustled on the boards and were consistently slow getting back on D. No use dwelling on this dibacle though. Still a lot of season to go. "Shower well" as Clint hurdle always says and move on

12/04/2015 9:47 pm  #3

I am not sure it was effort.  If we played Pitt 10 times this tear we would lose 10 times.  Pitt is a very strong talented team with a terrific coach.  The Dome was absolutely right on when he said that Pitt would eat us up inside, which left the Dukes with our guards running out late hoping Robinson and their other guard would miss the trey.  They didn't.  I thought Gill and Lewis killed us defensively.  On offense we saw Mason running his ass off trying to get open, but none of our bigs setting any effective screens (that is coaching).  Gill tossing bricks, Lewis either fumbling the ball or missing layups, Jones driving the ball into a pack of Pitt defenders resulting in turnovers.  I do think there should be a change in the starting line up.  In my opinion I would start James and Powell and have Gill and Jones earn it back.  

12/04/2015 9:48 pm  #4

I'm not going to Rip Ferry as he had nothing to do with the effort of the team. But I'd have exploited Lewis more. That was the spot ironically where I thought we had a mismatch.

12/04/2015 9:50 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

I am not sure it was effort.  If we played Pitt 10 times this tear we would lose 10 times.  Pitt is a very strong talented team with a terrific coach.  The Dome was absolutely right on when he said that Pitt would eat us up inside, which left the Dukes with our guards running out late hoping Robinson and their other guard would miss the trey.  They didn't.  I thought Gill and Lewis killed us defensively.  On offense we saw Mason running his ass off trying to get open, but none of our bigs setting any effective screens (that is coaching).  Gill tossing bricks, Lewis either fumbling the ball or missing layups, Jones driving the ball into a pack of Pitt defenders resulting in turnovers.  I do think there should be a change in the starting line up.  In my opinion I would start James and Powell and have Gill and Jones earn it back.  

What game were you watching?  Seriously. That was 100% about the effort being given.

12/04/2015 9:51 pm  #6

WEB wrote:

I'm not going to Rip Ferry as he had nothing to do with the effort of the team.

That's one of the most perplexing statements I've ever read on this board.

12/04/2015 9:52 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

With all due respect CLK I think your analysis is 100% incorrect but I respect your opinion.

Time to move on.

12/04/2015 10:00 pm  #8

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

What game were you watching? Seriously. That was 100% about the effort being given.

Obviously a different game than you.  What I saw was a team in Pitt team that was bigger, stronger, and more talented than the Dukes.  You got to credit Pitt's defense they locked down Mason in the first half and forced the rest of our guys into very bad shots.  Yes Colter missed some layups, but we lost because we just could not stop Pitt on defense. 

12/04/2015 10:13 pm  #9

CLK wrote:

It was one game. We lost badly. It happens. You are going to have games where you just don't play well. Ask Kentucky. I don't think we need to overreact and demand changes. We are still off to a good start

12/04/2015 10:15 pm  #10

Dukes2012 it is only one game BUT it is a measuring stick that tells me you are not ready for A-10 play.
BTW that game was far less about effort and more about preparation. How you can disavow responsibility to the coaching staff is beyond me. Why do they tolerate Gill firing up endless 3's and yet James has totally turned his game around by being a slasher. Who is working with these guys. What film are they watching.
My starting lineup would be James, Mason, Powell, Gill (as a 4 only), Sanders
BTW didn't hear why but Jackson was in street clothes. Why do we continue to have rules violations going on 9/10 games into the season and it isn't like this is a first. It has been that way just about every year.

Last edited by The Dome (12/04/2015 10:49 pm)

12/04/2015 10:42 pm  #11

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK wrote:

It was one game. We lost badly. It happens. You are going to have games where you just don't play well. Ask Kentucky. I don't think we need to overreact and demand changes. We are still off to a good start

It is not one game.  I am of the opinion that you play your best players.  I think that James has earned a start.  I think that Powell also is playing better than Gill.  Nothing wrong with rewarding competition.  But hey, I am not the guy getting big bucks to make those decisions. 

12/04/2015 10:50 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK wrote:

It is not one game.  I am of the opinion that you play your best players.  I think that James has earned a start.  I think that Powell also is playing better than Gill.  Nothing wrong with rewarding competition.  But hey, I am not the guy getting big bucks to make those decisions. 

I understand your point but I respectfully disagree. I think James and Powell bring great energy and scoring off the bench which every good team needs. That's why ginobili and harden (OKC) came off the bench. However, I have no idea why Robinson doesn't get more time. I like his offensive game much better than Lewis's

12/04/2015 11:27 pm  #13

I really didn't think they would win but , I thought at least we wouldn't have the usual game where Pitt can warm up the bus five minutes into the game!  Well this game was over six minutes into the game!

Poor offensive sets, rushed three point shots, butter fingers big men down low, turnovers, sloppy defense, and the game was over before most of us settled into our seats.  Sure enough we don't even register on Pitt's radar for another year!

Yeah, we're 6-2 and should have a decent OOC record, but let's be honest, any hopes of competing at the next level are foolish.  We will be a 16-18 win middle of the pack team in a B level NCAA conference and we will probably make the CBI and be in the discussion for the NIT, but that's it

Ferry better win 20 next year!

Last edited by CLK (12/06/2015 8:57 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/05/2015 1:15 pm  #14

I thought we again looked tight and hesitant on the big stage against Pitt.  I don't know why this is always the case, in this game, but it has to stop.  We should come out playing loose since we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  With that said, I cannot indict the players for lack of effort.  How can you say that when Micah ran pretty much the entire game trying to get open.  Pitt played good defense, and the Dukes were unable to run, because PItt nearly made every shot they took in the first half; therefore no rebound,s and no chance to run.  Granted they took mostly open shots but those guys are, for the most part not good shooters who regularly miss those opportunities.  In this game, they just couldn't miss, and it was anyone who took a shot.  Probably the way the Dukes shot it against Penn State.  They made it a half court game, which is their strength, and our weakness.  Our half-court offense is easy to defend, and we have no scoring threats inside.  If you lock down on DC and Micah, we can't dump it inside to score.  That is just a fact.  Sanders is not ready yet, and doesn't have much of an offensive game at this point. 
In terms of players, along with Micah and DC I thought that Ty and Eric gave us some energy and were able to compete with Pitt.  I think you'll see them getting more PT in the future.  Darius was just overmatched, but we really don't have any other options at the 5 right now, and nothing in this recruiting class that will change that situation.

On defense, we really don't apply enough "ball pressure", allowing the opponent to operate in a comfort zone that is not typical of teams that play at a higher level.  Our defense is jus too passive and doesn't create turnovers.  In some cases guys will get beat trying to apply more ball pressure, but penetration isn't a strong point with this Pitt team; so why wasn't there more pressure on Robinson?  He had to be taken out of his comfort zone.  He'll miss those shots under even a little defensive pressure.  Anyway that's my two cents.

12/05/2015 2:11 pm  #15

I had a front row seat for this.  We had so many easy layups not fall.  Our 3 point shots just wouldn't fall like they did vs. PSU and so many other opponents.  

On defense I thought we hung with them fairly well but it just seemed like we'd take a foul with 1 second left or their guys would create that half a second of space and hit a shot under pressure.  They made their shots..we didn't.  Pitt hit 68% of all their shots in the first half.  That's just insanely hot shooting.  

You have to play at the top of your game to beat Pitt and unfortunately our shooters had a Pepperdine night.  

Free throws are still killing us too.  Those are free open looks at the basket and we shot what barely above 50% yesterday?

I don't think our team gave up in the game, even down 25-2.  They kept battling to get back in it but the early hole was just way too much to ever overcome.  

Pitt also never showed any inclination to stop scoring with the game well in hand, firing three pointers even with just over a minute to go.  They were still hitting threes with 2-3 minutes to go.  

12/05/2015 3:22 pm  #16

levon1975 - After reading everything I could everywhere, and having a front row seat at the game, I agree with your synopsis entirely.  I said to a friend sitting next to me that not only did I think Duquesne came out tight, but I was also disappointed in DC's comment that got in the paper, probably on their bulletin board, etc. that said we were faster than they were.  Do I think this determined the game?  Of course not.  But when you play a team better than you, you really don't want to stir the fire.  Here are my lowly thoughts:
-The Dukes were uptight and too nervous
-They forced shots
-I do NOT think there was a lack of effort 
-Not sure why Ferry didn't stick with a zone longer.  They outmatched us inside and yes, I know Robinson hurt us from the outside,   But a zone doesn't mean you don't defend against the outside shot.
-I would start/play James instead of Darius.  Go with 3 forwards and two guards
-The year we actually thought we would be competitive - we get our ass beat.
-Pitt made a lot of shots because 1.  They are good  2.  Our defense was porous.

Last edited by FAM (12/05/2015 3:24 pm)

12/05/2015 7:13 pm  #17

levon1975 wrote:

Granted they took mostly open shots but those guys are, for the most part not good shooters who regularly miss those opportunities.  In this game, they just couldn't miss, and it was anyone who took a shot.  Probably the way the Dukes shot it against Penn State.

Not sure about that. The Pitt guys I've talked to say this is the best shooting Pitt team that they can remember.

Hey, this was a case where the team stumbled early, and Pitt smelled the blood and went for the kill. As the team began to press, Pitt turned up the intensity, and put the game away, not unlike what we did against Penn St. Pitt isn't 25 points better than us, nor are we 25 points better than Penn St. Sometimes it just plays out that way.

12/05/2015 8:09 pm  #18

Then way have we lost 15 in a row by more than 10 points?  While writing this I'm watching RI take it to Providence WITHOUT their best player. I wanted to start a new thread but I'll throw it out here. What is the character of this team?  Listen to the two coaches Dixon after losing to Purdue kicked his team in the ass. Ferry says he will see how his team handles this challenge when they show up Sunday. After a bad effort by Marquette, Wojo takes his kids outdoors in Milwaukee and practices in the snow.  I've said it here a dozen or more times; where is the accountibility?

Last edited by The Dome (12/05/2015 8:11 pm)

12/05/2015 10:10 pm  #19

Dome:  Why don't you should start a crusade to get Coach Ferry fired much like WEB undertook a few years back when Ron was coach.  It worked back then.  Maybe that will satisfy your insatiable desire for accountability.  Forcing a practice in the snow??  Spare Me!!!!!  

12/05/2015 10:29 pm  #20

Fine see you in 5 years when you and 100 other myopic fans are watching us beat the little sisters of the poor.  I'll join ED on the sidelines.

Last edited by The Dome (12/05/2015 10:29 pm)

12/05/2015 11:22 pm  #21

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Granted they took mostly open shots but those guys are, for the most part not good shooters who regularly miss those opportunities.  In this game, they just couldn't miss, and it was anyone who took a shot.  Probably the way the Dukes shot it against Penn State.

Not sure about that. The Pitt guys I've talked to say this is the best shooting Pitt team that they can remember.

Hey, this was a case where the team stumbled early, and Pitt smelled the blood and went for the kill. As the team began to press, Pitt turned up the intensity, and put the game away, not unlike what we did against Penn St. Pitt isn't 25 points better than us, nor are we 25 points better than Penn St. Sometimes it just plays out that way.

I felt the same way, Pitt was hitting everything in the first half, Duquesne was rushing shots and after all the dropped passes and missed bunnies inside started to launch from outside with little rebounding position insides by our bigs. Let's get on with the next game, this isn't a rivalry when you lose all the time.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/05/2015 11:53 pm  #22

The Dome wrote:

Fine see you in 5 years when you and 100 other myopic fans are watching us beat the little sisters of the poor. I'll join ED on the sidelines.

I don't understand why any board members go to "the sidelines." What does that accomplish? Maybe anybody writing or not writing on this board accomplishes nothing. Still, why stop posting because other posters don't agree with you? 

The guys on the sidelines still watch the games (you know you do, and you know you read this board). You can't get away from it, can you? 

It's more interesting to have many points of view. Post 'em!

12/06/2015 12:10 am  #23

applecorps wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Fine see you in 5 years when you and 100 other myopic fans are watching us beat the little sisters of the poor. I'll join ED on the sidelines.

I don't understand why any board members go to "the sidelines." What does that accomplish? Maybe anybody writing or not writing on this board accomplishes nothing. Still, why stop posting because other posters don't agree with you? 

The guys on the sidelines still watch the games (you know you do, and you know you read this board). You can't get away from it, can you? 

It's more interesting to have many points of view. Post 'em!

For some, the whole season revolves around beating Pitt. Lose to Pitt, and the season's a failure. While I was hoping for the victory, it was certainly not a game I had circled as a probable victory. We just weren't likely to reach that point this year. I went into the season looking for 9 wins ooc, 8 in league play, and one in Brooklyn. This was based on the talent, and experience on the team. We're one game ahead of where I'd thought we'd be, so I'm hardly ready to throw in the towel on this season. If we win the next 4 games, I'll be very pleased with where we are going into league play.

12/06/2015 8:51 am  #24

There is no need for personal attacks.  If a person disagrees with what is said attack the argument, not the person.

Dome, I hope you will keep on posting as there are many that share your opinions and enjoy your posts. 

Last edited by CLK (12/06/2015 8:56 am)

12/06/2015 9:02 am  #25

CLK wrote:

There is no need for personal attacks.  If a person disagrees with what is said attack the argument, not the person.

Dome, I hope you will keep on posting as there are many that share your opinions and enjoy your posts. 

CLK, I don't want anyone posting on here that doesn't share my opinions. It's violating my "safe space!"

Board footera