Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2015 4:18 pm  #26

Re: Effort

Nobody on our team besides DC showed up for that game and he fizzled out later on. Micah had some good minutes and I agree Eric James should definitely get more minutes. It's just tough to start him over a senior who has pretty much played since day 1 and has played well (barring Friday) so far this year. I think ej will go on to have two stellar years here starting and being a key player on this team. He still is but he will have a much bigger impact on the future success of this team. He will probably eventually be a much better player than jj, but he has definitely earned that right to start, especially this year. The dome, stop contradicting yourself.

12/07/2015 10:30 am  #27

You guys have to realize that coach ferry and his staff do not know how to recruit division one players to DU. The reason they started 6-1 is because of the level of competition. Once in A-10 play they are going to struggle. They have yet to beat Robert Morris. The point guard is more concerned with scoring than distributing the ball to his teammates. The shooting guard is a legitimate player, but is only here because he had to move close to home! The forwards are not division one caliber players. The transfers they brought in could not cut it at their schools, what makes you think they will make an impact at DU. DU must have a coach that recognizes talent or comes from an area that is rich in talent or has in roads to that talent. Or they must recruit student athletes that the school will be proud of and know their roles on the team and play like a team. When DU was respectable it was because this area was rich in talent and supplemented with one or two solid players. I have been following DU since the late sixties and am a graduate, as well as my wife and three of my children. They have to be one of the saddest stories in all of sports. I would love to see them win, but that will not occur under the present leadership.

12/07/2015 10:42 am  #28

Wildwood13 wrote:

You guys have to realize that coach ferry and his staff do not know how to recruit division one players to DU. The reason they started 6-1 is because of the level of competition. Once in A-10 play they are going to struggle. They have yet to beat Robert Morris. The point guard is more concerned with scoring than distributing the ball to his teammates. The shooting guard is a legitimate player, but is only here because he had to move close to home! The forwards are not division one caliber players. The transfers they brought in could not cut it at their schools, what makes you think they will make an impact at DU. DU must have a coach that recognizes talent or comes from an area that is rich in talent or has in roads to that talent. Or they must recruit student athletes that the school will be proud of and know their roles on the team and play like a team. When DU was respectable it was because this area was rich in talent and supplemented with one or two solid players. I have been following DU since the late sixties and am a graduate, as well as my wife and three of my children. They have to be one of the saddest stories in all of sports. I would love to see them win, but that will not occur under the present leadership.

I disagree regarding your recruiting/talents complaints. Not to drag Ron back into this (I am not a Ron hater, I was at duq during ron's era and he put together some exciting teams), but I think this complaint is more appropriate for ron. Ferry has gotten good talent to come to the bluff. The proper criticism of him would be that he hasn't won with it yet. Ron, on the other hand, had some nice too end talent like tj, Saunders, and billy Clark, but also had several players like lewinson, chase Robinson, the big 7 footer Williams, and peggau, none of which really belonged at an A-10 school

12/07/2015 11:49 am  #29

Dukes2012 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

I disagree regarding your recruiting/talents complaints. Not to drag Ron back into this (I am not a Ron hater, I was at duq during ron's era and he put together some exciting teams), but I think this complaint is more appropriate for ron. Ferry has gotten good talent to come to the bluff. The proper criticism of him would be that he hasn't won with it yet. Ron, on the other hand, had some nice too end talent like tj, Saunders, and billy Clark, but also had several players like lewinson, chase Robinson, the big 7 footer Williams, and peggau, none of which really belonged at an A-10 school

The post by Wildwood was about Ferry.  He never mentioned Ron.  I do not understand why after 4 years there is a need to bring Ron in to the conversation to defend Ferry.  All it does is aggravate some posters.

Wildwood, I disagree about Ferry not recruiting talent.  He has talent, however, in my opinion Ferry has yet to prove that he can coach at the A10 level.  This is the year for him to prove himself.  Ferry needs to win this year, no excuses.  Let's see how the season unfolds. 

Last edited by CLK (12/07/2015 11:58 am)

12/07/2015 12:00 pm  #30

Wildwood13 wrote:

I guess Penn St. isn't a D1 team. I thought they were in the Big 10. I must be mistaken.

12/07/2015 12:09 pm  #31

CLK wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

The post by Wildwood was about Ferry.  He never mentioned Ron.  I do not understand why after 4 years there is a need to bring Ron in to the conversation to defend Ferry.  All it does is aggravate some posters.

Wildwood, I disagree about Ferry not recruiting talent.  He has talent, however, in my opinion Ferry has yet to prove that he can coach at the A10 level.  This is the year for him to prove himself.  Ferry needs to win this year, no excuses.  Let's see how the season unfolds. 

CLK, I thought you just posted yesterday about allowing everyone to share their opinions? I don't think I was unfair to him. I said ferry has done better recruiting but despite quite a few misses on recruits that Ron did more with less. I don't think that's provocative. I liked Ron and met him several times. Ron was our coach just a few years ago and I don't think he should be an unmentionable especially when a poster is not personally attacking Ron

12/07/2015 12:32 pm  #32

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK, I thought you just posted yesterday about allowing everyone to share their opinions? I don't think I was unfair to him. I said ferry has done better recruiting but despite quite a few misses on recruits that Ron did more with less. I don't think that's provocative. I liked Ron and met him several times. Ron was our coach just a few years ago and I don't think he should be an unmentionable especially when a poster is not personally attacking Ron

1 - This is a year to grow.  He came in at the end of a recruiting cycle.

2 - I don't agree with the coaching at the A10 level comment at all.  He was left with nothing.  Brad Stevens couldn't take those first few teams into Dayton and win.  Ripping Ferry for not doing it is entirely off-base. 

3 - I think you have it backwards.  People don't bring Ron into the equation to defend Ferry.  They bring him in to crush Ferry, as if he fired Ron. 

4 - I am done posting for awhile as this has just become all about Ron and Ferry again.  I'm 100% convinced there are people on this board who want to see Jim Ferry fail.  They say they want to see Duquesne win, but they don't.  They want to Ferry fail so they can say, "Told ya we should have kept Ron" as if that matters right now. 

Peace.  I'm out.

12/07/2015 12:36 pm  #33

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

You are free to express your opinion, and so am I.  I did, and still do not see, how your comments on Ron related to Wildwoods comments about the current players.  All it is going to do is start the same old conversations that has divide these message boards over the last 4 years. It is my opinion that after 4 years it is time to move on when discussing Ferry.  His success or lack thereof has noting to do with Ron at this point.  But hey, if you feel the need to draw comparisons go for it.

12/07/2015 12:43 pm  #34

WEB wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK wrote:

1 - This is a year to grow.  He came in at the end of a recruiting cycle.

2 - I don't agree with the coaching at the A10 level comment at all.  He was left with nothing.  Brad Stevens couldn't take those first few teams into Dayton and win.  Ripping Ferry for not doing it is entirely off-base. 

3 - I think you have it backwards.  People don't bring Ron into the equation to defend Ferry.  They bring him in to crush Ferry, as if he fired Ron. 

4 - I am done posting for awhile as this has just become all about Ron and Ferry again.  I'm 100% convinced there are people on this board who want to see Jim Ferry fail.  They say they want to see Duquesne win, but they don't.  They want to Ferry fail so they can say, "Told ya we should have kept Ron" as if that matters right now. 

Peace.  I'm out.

WEB, if you read my posts, I am trying not to make this about Ron & Ferry.  Read my post again.  My point is that this is year 4.  Even if you believe that years 1 to 3 had hindered Ferry's ability to win, it has nothing to do with year 4.  I have said nothing to indicated that I want to see Ferry fail.  On the contrary I want to see him prove that he can win.  The consensus expectation is that Ferry should have a winning season this year (note nobody expects he will be in the NCAA but a simple wining season).  So far he is on track. However, if he fails that is on him and nobody else.

12/07/2015 1:47 pm  #35

Yow, one loss, and we're back to Ron vs Ferry.
 My feelings on it are this.
I do feel certain posters have had their knives out for Ferry since day one, because they're mad about what happened to Ron.
Some of the early hate on Ferry was over the top. Ferry was hired to get us to where we are consistently good enough for the NIT, and occasionally good enough for the NCAAs. He was under no mandate to do it the same way Ron did it. He will be judged by what he does over the next few years.
He indeed is now at a point where it's fair to expect to see some real progress. Can we let the season play out? If we don't produce a season like the ones Ron usually did this year, it becomes very fair to question Ferry.
Certain posters are placing far too much emphasis on the Pitt game. If losing to Pitt makes you a failure, then Ron was an abject disaster, as he never beat Pitt. (of course this would be nonsense) When, and if the Dukes become a serious contender for an at large bid from the A 10, that is when expecting to beat good Pitt teams will become realistic, as those are the types of teams that are good enough to play with second tier P5 teams, which is what Pitt currently is.

It's important to post a winning season this year for a few reasons.
It will give encouragement to fans of the program that Ferry can coach, and maybe does have a chance to get us where we want to go. Remember, other than Ron, this program only has 2 winning seasons since 1981, so I won't be one to scoff if the team wins 17-18 games, as many have failed to reach even that modest level.
Second, a winning season ought to make it easier for Ferry to recruit. It gives him a bit more to sell, and makes it less likely that he's going to soon be fired, all of which is important to recruits.

Board footera