Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2015 1:41 pm  #1

St Francis in Altoona

Last night as the game was drawing down Ray Goss did a promo for free ticket to the Game at Altoona to take on the Frankie's , there were 40 tickets for free that included a bus ride and lunch to first 40 callers.

Now that is a good marketing idea, good for Dave and the staff, I wished I still lived in North Hills but since it is sunny and 80 degrees outside today, that wish quickly left me.

Seriously , this great start and emerging star players will get more into Palumbo.

Good luck Saturday, Dukes....

From SW Fl, Phil-dog

A diehard fan since 1961

12/09/2015 2:18 pm  #2

Re: St Francis in Altoona

Phil the game is at the Johnstown War Memorial Arena.  Here is an interesting historical article.

http://sfuathletics.com/news/2015/12/9/MBB_1209155408.aspx

12/09/2015 3:05 pm  #3

Thanks, CLK.  This game wasn't at the War Memorial, but it was a memorable one as you can see from the newspaper article.  It was certainly a heated rivalry at one time.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HYI0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=F5YEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7333%2C4684649

12/09/2015 5:02 pm  #4

I remember it well, since I came very close to being ejected along with my two comrades from Duquesne.  It was a pretty bad home job by the  refs that night.  Ledbetter was a beast, and I'm not sure how St Francis got him on campus, but it didn't last long as he was gone the next year, and I never heard anything more from him.  I suppose he was the 70's version of a rent-a-player.  They called him a freshman, but he looked much older. 
We actually drove one of the Dukes to the game that day, after he missed the bus and was stranded back in Pittsburgh.  We, of course found the only bar in Loretto and were well tuned by game time.  It was a gutty effort by the Dukes that night, and a great victory.
Thanks for the article CLK, it was a pleasure to rekindle some great memories.

12/09/2015 5:09 pm  #5

The Dukes used to enjoy torturing St. Francis. We were always the biggest game on their schedule, although they were never the biggest game on ours (among teams that we always played, that was always Pitt, if they had a good team, and Villanova, when Pitt wasn't good).

12/09/2015 7:14 pm  #6

John Moore tells a classic story about the conversation during a timeout just before the Dukes tied the score to send the game into overtime.  John Cinicola was drawing a play on his hand and had a senior moment!!  He went speechless blank for the balance of the timeout.  Norm Nixon simply said to the team "I'll get the ball to Jesse and he'll put it in."  As memory recollects Nixon got the ball into Jesse Hubbard who scored the tying bucket and the overtime narrative of reporter Russ Franke tells the rest of the story.  Indeed, great memories of games past.

12/09/2015 8:39 pm  #7

grammudder wrote:

John Moore tells a classic story about the conversation during a timeout just before the Dukes tied the score to send the game into overtime.  John Cinicola was drawing a play on his hand and had a senior moment!!  He went speechless blank for the balance of the timeout.  Norm Nixon simply said to the team "I'll get the ball to Jesse and he'll put it in."  As memory recollects Nixon got the ball into Jesse Hubbard who scored the tying bucket and the overtime narrative of reporter Russ Franke tells the rest of the story.  Indeed, great memories of games past.

What game was that? John Moore was in 11th grade when the game referenced above was played. The only year John and Norman played together was 1976-77.

12/09/2015 8:46 pm  #8

Oops!  I was talking about the 1977 game.  You guys were reliving the 1975 game.  When you get my age, you'll have intertwining of memories too!!

12/10/2015 12:26 am  #9

Well Levon, I know I was headed onto the floor, but stopped short .  Rege went passed me right out to the foul line.  He was wearing that rim bent summer wedding hat.  The cops grabbed him and out he went...only to reemerge through another.  The crowd went crazy.  After the game there were fifty guys waiting for us outside.  Instead of an ass-kicking they took us to a party. They were Tekes and so was I.  And yes , we did transport Bernie, in uniform, that's a fact.  Great memories out of the blue.  Some day I'll tell the Dayton story, but it's not PG.

12/10/2015 10:16 am  #10

Right, I was only a few steps onto the court, but also wearing my signature hat, and was surprised I didn't get tossed, but you are right about Rege, he just burst onto the court giving the refs a few choice words.  I recall that a bunch of us stayed that night in a cabin in the woods owned by a St Francis prof, along with a cheerleader of note and a frosh basketball player.  No names mentioned to protect the guilty.

12/10/2015 10:36 am  #11

Attended every home game up until UMBC this season. Didn't feel like coming up from the Southside to watch another Mississippi valley state type blowout and watched it online at home. Couldn't be happier I did, because as soon as they mentioned the free bus trip opportunity I called in and sure enough secured two spots! I have never seen the war memorial and am pumped for the game! Hoping that all the free spots were taken and the rest of the bus is full. Also that the Dukes come away with what should be another positive result.

Anyone know of any good close bars because it sounds like we will arrive about an hour and fifteen minutes before tip???

12/10/2015 12:16 pm  #12

I used to announce for the Johnstown Generals indoor football team.  Love that War Memorial arena.  

Whoever is going to the game, have some fun!

12/10/2015 12:17 pm  #13

Duques102 wrote:

Attended every home game up until UMBC this season. Didn't feel like coming up from the Southside to watch another Mississippi valley state type blowout and watched it online at home. Couldn't be happier I did, because as soon as they mentioned the free bus trip opportunity I called in and sure enough secured two spots! I have never seen the war memorial and am pumped for the game! Hoping that all the free spots were taken and the rest of the bus is full. Also that the Dukes come away with what should be another positive result.

Anyone know of any good close bars because it sounds like we will arrive about an hour and fifteen minutes before tip???

http://www.yelp.com/biz/scotts-by-dam-johnstown

12/10/2015 12:39 pm  #14

Humph...this is what happens with age--we either forget details or add them; especially so when the initial events were conducted in a less than cognizant state to begin with.
The hat was haphazardly worn at the Dayton game, for which I was banished to the very uppermost seats in the arena.
I do remember the somewhat stunned Dukes' bench either appalled or in fits of laughter; Cinicola just shaking his head, the occasion not being the 1st time that The Reges were present on the road. Re-entry was easier than robbing a bank--tossed out of a side door, strolled back in the front door, thank you. 

Yes, 'twas Bernie O' staring out the window of the roadside bar as the team bus whizzed by and saying what today would be the equivalent of "OMG", but a bit more profane.

Dutifully reported many years later with a word of caution to $Bill: stay in your seat, and Halls--you are in charge. 

rege1

12/10/2015 1:00 pm  #15

Yep, it was definitely $Bill that got tossed with you, funny thing was that I was further out on the court than Bill, but he got tossed.

12/10/2015 1:05 pm  #16

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/scotts-by-dam-johnstown

I actually stopped for beer and tacos after a hockey game in J-town, the people were very friendly, and the tacos were filling.

12/10/2015 1:14 pm  #17

Alright, since this was awhile back & Bill, who is this escapee from authority?

rege1

12/10/2015 1:20 pm  #18

Once upon a time, there was a TV show called "What's My LIne?" and always had a mystery guest; panelists blind folded. So, levon1975, your identity as inquiring minds want to know. 

rege1

Last edited by rege1 (12/10/2015 1:21 pm)

12/10/2015 2:26 pm  #19

FYI and more to the present not that the past is bad

Sagarin power ratings

DU  128
GT    61
SFU  286
RMU  313
SCS  316

Great opportunity to go into conference play confident and used to winning.

12/10/2015 3:38 pm  #20

Econ69 wrote:

Sagarin power ratings

DU  128
GT    61
SFU  286
RMU  313
SCS  316

Thanks, Econ.  Here's the Pomeroy rankings/predictions as of today:
Dukes are #135.
Sat Dec 12  #267  St. Francis PA  W, 80-73 75% Neutral           
Wed Dec 16 #313  South Carolina St.  W, 85-69  91%  Home           
Sat Dec 19  #283  Robert Morris  W, 85-72  87%  Home           
Tue Dec 29  #74  Georgia Tech  L, 82-74  23%  Away           

12/10/2015 4:25 pm  #21

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

Sagarin power ratings

DU  128
GT    61
SFU  286
RMU  313
SCS  316

Thanks, Econ.  Here's the Pomeroy rankings/predictions as of today:
Dukes are #135.
Sat Dec 12  #267  St. Francis PA  W, 80-73 75% Neutral           
Wed Dec 16 #313  South Carolina St.  W, 85-69  91%  Home           
Sat Dec 19  #283  Robert Morris  W, 85-72  87%  Home           
Tue Dec 29  #74  Georgia Tech  L, 82-74  23%  Away           

According to Sagarin predictor scores the Dukes would be 8 and 1/2 pt. favorites over the Red Flash if you consider the War Memorial a true home court advantage.  St Francis very rarely plays at this place.  The Dukes would be a 12 pt. favorite if you consider the War Memorial a neutral court.  

Per a recent check of the Dukes' website, I saw that the free bus trip, ticket to the game, and lunch offer has been filled and is no longer available.  Let's hope the 50 or so who will be aboard that bus for the trip to Johnstown are some really noisy fans.

Last edited by godukes1970 (12/10/2015 4:28 pm)

12/10/2015 5:10 pm  #22

rege1 wrote:

Once upon a time, there was a TV show called "What's My LIne?" and always had a mystery guest; panelists blind folded. So, levon1975, your identity as inquiring minds want to know. 

rege1

12/10/2015 5:13 pm  #23

rege1 wrote:

Alright, since this was awhile back & Bill, who is this escapee from authority?

rege1

Took over your room at Craftmont with George and Wholey when you moved out.

12/10/2015 5:55 pm  #24

Wow, 2424 Craftmont; I actually stopped there a year or so ago on a trip to da Burgh and talked to owners; just to reminisce; looks the same.
Okay, I give up--Crafton was before 3 other places for me? 

12/10/2015 6:07 pm  #25

Hi Dennis.  Uh, $bill eh?  That escaped me.  I guess he was sitting with Mossie.  Brother Kapps tossed - disgraceful.  How about the "Jessie James is dead" debacle against Marshall starring Louis DelMaestro?   At least Duquesne won.  Big game by Kip.  The First Ward guys stole everything that wasn't nailed down including the hotel tv.  pharmacy Rege thought he killed that one old guy as while he planned the party, he didn't party the plan.  Hunter Thompspn couldn't make our JV team.

Board footera