Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2015 7:22 am  #1

The "Susie Debate"

Perhaps we should THANK her. Consider

BS (Before Susie) Despite the fact that Western Pennsylvania produced enough players to make programs in the city viable (this is NO longer the case in the men's division AND for college football)  Duquesne's program was mediocre at best.  And while Susie recruited international players as a key concept the program has improved to the point where it  can now attract the local quality player -  I know Pitt will still get some as well.

Who do you think "EVERYBODY'S FAVORITE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR" - would have hired then had she not been available -  WHO would be the coach now if Dan Burt was nowhere on the Radar?  Would we be "counting our victories on ONE hand -  "with fingers left over"

The "point guard swap"  Chassidy originally committed to Pitt -  Cassidy Walsh committed to Duquesne - Don't know if it was a case of coaching systems preference or what It is really early in their careers -  BUT I'm GLAD WE have Chassidy.

Finally I'm in the group where ESP means Extra Sensory Perception -- NOT a "certain University consuming a certain brown substance"  Do I "dislike them?" YES but not to THAT degree -  Does saying negative things about someone else reflect positively on us?

The "TJ issue" is another thing I doubt the course HE took had anything to do with HER.

12/12/2015 3:21 pm  #2

Re: The "Susie Debate"

Nah.   That's okay.   I'm over hearing her name every time Dan Burts name is mentioned.   

As far as thanking her, she wasn't a volunteer.   She was paid and moved on.   She thought she took the better point guard with her.   That remains to be seen.  I'll take Chassidy. 

I hope they kick her ass.

Perhaps we should thank Dan Burt.   And appreciate him as long as he is here.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/12/2015 3:23 pm)

12/12/2015 9:26 pm  #3

I wasn't happy when Susie left.  I just get sick of how the so-called "Power 5" conferences get so many unfair advantages because of the resources they have, thanks to ESPN.  But I didn't worry about it long because I think Dan Burt is the better coach.  He recruited most of Susie's players when she was here.  It shouldn't have taken so long to even offer him the job.  That should have happened 5 seconds after Susie left.

On the pointy guard swap:  I've been a Duquesne women's season ticket holder for a long time.  I also see a decent amount of Pitt women's games.  (I'm just there because my wife is a Pitt grad & likes the games, & I keep her company so she's not walking around Oakland by herself.  I silently root for the other team.)  Having seen Chassidy & Walsh, I'm glad we have Chassidy.  Chassidy's been starting & playing a lot of minutes.  I think she'll be like April Robinson for us, in that she'll be a 4-year starter who logged a lotta minutes early & will be playing like a senior toward the end of her sophomore year.  Walsh is only getting about 10 minutes per game for Pitt.  Before it's all said & done, she may wish she had stayed at Duquesne.

In the end, Susie's leaving has worked out just fine.  She could have sold her services anywhere but ended up at Duquesne because her kids were small & she wanted to stay in Pittsburgh.  Her kids are older now & she won't necessarily be tied down to Pittsburgh for long.  A couple folks who keep their fingers on the pulse of local basketball tell me that as soon as Penn State gets tired of their current coach, all they gotta do is say the word & Susie's there. So Pitt will be looking for a coach while Dan is still winning 20+ games a year at Duquesne.  Sounds good to me.

12/13/2015 9:56 am  #4

SkepticAl wrote:

Perhaps we should THANK her. Consider

BS (Before Susie) Despite the fact that Western Pennsylvania produced enough players to make programs in the city viable (this is NO longer the case in the men's division AND for college football)  Duquesne's program was mediocre at best.  And while Susie recruited international players as a key concept the program has improved to the point where it  can now attract the local quality player -  I know Pitt will still get some as well.

Who do you think "EVERYBODY'S FAVORITE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR" - would have hired then had she not been available -  WHO would be the coach now if Dan Burt was nowhere on the Radar?  Would we be "counting our victories on ONE hand -  "with fingers left over"

I agree with most of this.  Duquesne never even made the WNIT, yet alone sniff the NCAA, before SMS's arrival.  She brought the Dukes sweating on a committee decision twice and basically started the program from nothing.  SMS left Burt in an awesome place with the opportunity to keep building a power.  DU never would have got a player like Gensler if anyone other than SMS (or someone with credentials like SMS's) was hired in 2008.  The SMS name sold Gensler to Duquesne at a time when she wasn't even considering the Dukes (and actually was strongly considering SFPA if that shows how far down DU's program was at the time Durkin left). 

How folks clamor for RE for reviving DU hoops to winning seasons and don't give SMS the due for putting DU on the map in women's hoops is beyond me.  SMS did much more for the women's program than RE did for the men's.  Imagine the men sweating Selection Sunday twice under RE and winning home NIT games.  RE may very likely still be around if he wasn't taken by a P5 school yet.  It's just unusual for DU fans to have a quality coach poached away by the big boys that we're not used to it.  But it's the sign of a good program that you have a coach that a P5 school actually wants rather than another failed coach.

I also agree with Kurt on that Burt should get his own praise not associated with SMS.  This is practically his team - there is only one holdover I believe from the SMS era (granted, it's April Robinson...but still).  Time to start recognizing Burt without SMS.

As for the PG swap, it's way too early to tell.  Walsh is a great PG also, but one who won't put up the same stats playing in a defensive system rather than Burt's run and gun while getting lesser minutes.  We can revisit that debate later.  I'm very happy with Chassidy right now.

SkepticAl wrote:

I'm just there because my wife is a Pitt grad & likes the games, & I keep her company so she's not walking around Oakland by herself.  I silently root for the other team.

+1 to this comment

Last edited by rogabee (12/13/2015 9:57 am)

Board footera