Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2015 2:47 pm  #26

Re: St. Francis

dukes win  67-65 
mason had the game winner

12/12/2015 2:47 pm  #27

Nice that bad foul shooting cost the OTHER team this time.

12/12/2015 2:47 pm  #28

Whew.

12/12/2015 2:48 pm  #29

I think last year we lose a game this contested but onward.....

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/12/2015 2:49 pm  #30

Powell continues to jump out of the gym, a Barn Burnner that we pulled out.....

A diehard fan since 1961

12/12/2015 2:49 pm  #31

Had em all the way.

12/12/2015 2:52 pm  #32

Huge win
Last year, we lose
Next two at home against SCS and RMU then money game against GaTech.
10-3 looks doable.

12/12/2015 2:53 pm  #33

KenOTR73 wrote:

I think last year we lose a game this contested but onward.....

I agree. Nice to see them stay composed and win a game where they struggled on offense. Defense was strong for the most part today. SFU had some nice guards that could shoot the ball

12/12/2015 2:56 pm  #34

You are going to have these games, and as someone said above, last year they probably lose. Survived a long shooting drought and still persevered.  I put this one in the same corner as the Milwaukee game in Florida. The difference between 8-2 & 6-4!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/12/2015 2:59 pm  #35

Ugly win, take it and move on. We used to lose these 

12/12/2015 3:01 pm  #36

I got to be honest.  I was a concerned about this game because I know these guys would make us pay if we did not guard their three point shooters.  We had a breakdown where Micah was late running out when they made thee threes in a row to take away our 8 point lead.  fortunately for us they missed a bunch of free throws.  Still kudos for the Dukes for not folding despite our poor shooting in the second half.  Great game by Powell.  Go Dukes!

12/12/2015 3:04 pm  #37

That was close.  The first time I ever watched Duquesne play in person was when my late father took me to the Civic Arena on March 1, 1970.  I was only 14 at the time and we were living in Grove City.  The NIT-bound Dukes jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first couple of minutes of that game in trouncing St. Francis by a lopsided score of 94-62.  The 69-70 season, of course, was one of the last of our glory years. 

Needless to say, this one was a little tighter — but I'm glad we prevailed and I'm more than pleased by our 8-2 start.

C'mon Dukes.  Let's return this once-proud program to its rightful place in college basketball.

Slaughter South Carolina State! 

Last edited by IronDukes12 (12/12/2015 3:53 pm)

12/12/2015 3:11 pm  #38

Let's stay positive.  An 11-2 start isn't completely outside the realm of possibility.  The Dukes have the talent to beat Georgia Tech in Atlanta.  Except for the Pepperdine game — where they played hard, but the shots simply wouldn't fall —they've played really well here in the South.

I guess you would consider me an old-timer since I still want to avenge our 78-68 loss to Rich Yunkus and the Yellow Jackets in the first round of the 1970 NIT tournament.

LET'S GO DUQUESNE!

Last edited by IronDukes12 (12/12/2015 3:33 pm)

12/12/2015 4:17 pm  #39

IronDukes12 wrote:

That was close.  The first time I ever watched Duquesne play in person was when my late father took me to the Civic Arena on March 1, 1970.  I was only 14 at the time and we were living in Grove City.  The NIT-bound Dukes jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first couple of minutes of that game in trouncing St. Francis by a lopsided score of 94-62.  The 69-70 season, of course, was one of the last of our glory years. 

Needless to say, this one was a little tighter — but I'm glad we prevailed and I'm more than pleased by our 8-2 start.h

C'mon Dukes.  Let's return this once-proud program to its rightful place in college basketball.

Slaughter South Carolina State! 

. That 69-70 season was a major letdown. The Dukes had most of the players back from a Top 10 team the year before, and no one was thinking NIT at the start of the season.

12/12/2015 4:34 pm  #40

"That 69-70 season was a major letdown. The Dukes had most of the players back from a Top 10 team the year before, and no one was thinking NIT at the start of the season."

Agreed.  The early season road losses to Nebraska and Iowa — the latter a game in which the Dukes led at halftime and outrebounded the Hawkeyes by a 56-37 margin — were devastating, but what's your point? 

I was only saying that my dad took me to my first Duquesne game that year and it was a fond memory for me.   

Last edited by IronDukes12 (12/12/2015 4:36 pm)

12/12/2015 6:36 pm  #41

IronDukes12 wrote:

"That 69-70 season was a major letdown. The Dukes had most of the players back from a Top 10 team the year before, and no one was thinking NIT at the start of the season."

Agreed.  The early season road losses to Nebraska and Iowa — the latter a game in which the Dukes led at halftime and outrebounded the Hawkeyes by a 56-37 margin — were devastating, but what's your point? 

I was only saying that my dad took me to my first Duquesne game that year and it was a fond memory for me.   

No real point, just remembering how that season went. Expectations were sky high. People thought we were back to where we were in the Si Green era, but it didn't quite pan out. 68-72 was a very nice run for the Dukes, but it was a clear step below the run from 47-56, which saw Duquesne as a power of the first degree.

12/12/2015 7:50 pm  #42

Recollecting that in '69-70 the Dukes went to the NCAA's, not the NIT. If correct, that year was a first-round loss to Penn.

12/12/2015 9:23 pm  #43

applecorps wrote:

Recollecting that in '69-70 the Dukes went to the NCAA's, not the NIT. If correct, that year was a first-round loss to Penn.

You're off by a year. They went to the NIT that year. Billy Zopf was a senior, and Durham, and the Nelson's were juniors. 70-71 was the year they lost to undefeated Penn. That was the Penn team that won their first 28 games before famously being destroyed by a Villanova team they had already beaten, 90-47 in the Eastern Regional Final. That Villanova team, which the Dukes had beaten at the Arena, went on to play UCLA in the Final, and gave the Bruins the toughest Championship Game they had in the Wooden era, losing 68-62. That was the Howard Porter team. The Dukes went up against some great players during the second half of Red Manning's tenure.
Billy Knight
Spencer Haywood
Len Elmore
Tom McMillan
Kenny Durrett
Howard Porter
Corky Calhoun
Marvin Barnes
Austin Carr
Pete Maravich
Ernie DiGregorio
Hank Siementowski
Charlie Scott
Norm VanLier
Bob Lanier
and more....

12/14/2015 11:53 am  #44

That's a great post by duq81.  Sorry if I came across too strong on Saturday.  I think I misinterpreted your comment as some sort of snide remark.  In hindsight, that certainly wasn't the case.  My sincere apologies.

I remember the Pete Maravich game, ending our 9-game winning streak, as if it was yesterday.  I even wrote an article about it for a Jacksonville, Florida, newspaper a few years ago (the Dukes and the Dolphins once had a short rivalry) — a story that was later picked up by one of those "Card Collector" websites.  http://www.cardcollectordigest.com/2011/06/25/%e2%80%98pistol-pete%e2%80%99-%e2%80%94-a-performance-of-a-lifetime/

Let's Go Dukes!

Last edited by IronDukes12 (12/14/2015 11:54 am)

12/14/2015 1:03 pm  #45

Thanks duq81 and IronDukes12

Here's another pretty fair player who faced the Red's Dukes:  George "The Iceman" Gervin
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19720111&id=zHsfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NVMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5868,4400497&hl=en

12/14/2015 2:54 pm  #46

I was at that game, and it was pretty grim.  I'm sure the two-week layoff played a part in the Dukes sluggish offensive performance, but on defense they just had nobody to guard Ice.  Train was a post man, and although very athletic for a big man, he was no match for Ice who had to be guarded 20-feet from the hoop and could just take you to the hoop is he saw any opening.  He scored inside and out, and sent the Dukes to a painful loss.  I recall the crowd just being in shock seeing the Dukes lose to a team like Eastern Michigan; but nobody knew what they were dealing with in the Iceman.

12/14/2015 3:04 pm  #47

IronDukes12 wrote:

That's a great post by duq81.  Sorry if I came across too strong on Saturday.  I think I misinterpreted your comment as some sort of snide remark.  In hindsight, that certainly wasn't the case.  My sincere apologies.

I remember the Pete Maravich game, ending our 9-game winning streak, as if it was yesterday.  I even wrote an article about it for a Jacksonville, Florida, newspaper a few years ago (the Dukes and the Dolphins once had a short rivalry) — a story that was later picked up by one of those "Card Collector" websites.  http://www.cardcollectordigest.com/2011/06/25/%e2%80%98pistol-pete%e2%80%99-%e2%80%94-a-performance-of-a-lifetime/

Let's Go Dukes!

Some people still kid Jarrett that he did a heck of a defensive job holding Pistol Pete to 53 points.   

12/14/2015 3:20 pm  #48

levon1975 wrote:

I was at that game, and it was pretty grim.  I'm sure the two-week layoff played a part in the Dukes sluggish offensive performance, but on defense they just had nobody to guard Ice.  Train was a post man, and although very athletic for a big man, he was no match for Ice who had to be guarded 20-feet from the hoop and could just take you to the hoop is he saw any opening.  He scored inside and out, and sent the Dukes to a painful loss.  I recall the crowd just being in shock seeing the Dukes lose to a team like Eastern Michigan; but nobody knew what they were dealing with in the Iceman.

That kind of reminds me of when an unknown Dwyane Wade lit up Pitt in the NCAAs. What was once considered a horrible loss, is now seen as, "oh, Dwyane Wade lit us up".

12/14/2015 8:04 pm  #49

levon1975 wrote:

I can still see that tall skinny guard take Big Train on the Blow By, the Arena went silent........game over 8-0 no more.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/15/2015 12:28 pm  #50

That is so true, I can still recall the silence!

Board footera