Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2015 8:43 pm  #1

Dukes wipe out SC State by 15

Very, very impressive second half adjustments and coaching by head coach Jim Ferry.

2nd half wipe out by Ferry 45-29.

Great coaching against a team that took Kansas state down to the wire and lost by 2.

12/16/2015 9:00 pm  #2

Re: Dukes wipe out SC State by 15

Yes, great win. The other team played well in the first half and played tough.  

Liked how Ferry went from the man to man and then back to the zone. Nice mix up on the defense that stymied SCSU

I am getting the idea that Lewis is a hot and cold player depending on the situation of the game.  When things are going good, he plays well and feeds off the emotion, but when things aren't going well, he gets pretty tentative and makes mental errors.

I think that was Powell's best game since his performance in the upset of Dayton last year.

Sanders is really impressing me. Looks good for a freshman.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/16/2015 9:07 pm  #3

OH yeah, one more thing. Castro SUCKS!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/16/2015 9:59 pm  #4

Ferry has lit a fire under Powell. He has really coached him up the past two games. Experienced teams win these last two games. Inexperienced teams likely would have folded.

12/16/2015 10:32 pm  #5

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I hate to come down hard on any of the Dukes, but I believe you have a point.  I believe on at least two occasions he drove to the hoop from the right side, he put the ball up very weakly, and it hit the rim from its underside. He may have gotten the rebound; but in spite of SCS's taller players hovering over him, he attempted to shoot through their outstretched hands resulting in the the Dukes' losing possession of the ball.  He also showed some very hurky-jerky (not in a good way) movements at times while dribbling the ball as he moved down the lane.  He looks very uncomfortable out there, or is it that he makes me very uncomfortable watching him struggle.  Hopefully he can return to the form that Coach Ferry saw in him when he recruited him out of high school.

By the way,  Sagarin predictor score had the Dukes favored by 15 1/2 pts. over SCS tonight.  For what it's worth, Sagarin also ranked the Dukes at #127, SCS at #305, and Robert Morris (1-9) at #313.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (12/18/2015 2:53 am)

12/17/2015 2:20 am  #6

Tejas_Duke wrote:

On Castro, I think he's playing with zero confidence right now and it's showing. It's hard to see it when you're not at the game, but his body language tells the entire story. I havent seen the kid smile since UNO. The game looks too fast for him and he's a step behind reading defenses especially when passing.

That said, I thought all of his looks at the basket were solid tonight. His first he slipped as he was shooting a floater and made a put back on an awkward lay up for the second. The last he had space and just missed the short jumper. If he keeps getting in the lane the way he has I think he'll start to turn it around.

Last edited by steve19981 (12/17/2015 2:21 am)

12/17/2015 9:46 am  #7

On Castro - It took a while, but I have learned that it takes a few years with the players Ferry gets because as I said a while back, he can't recruit the top kids or they don't want to come here.  Yes, I know, Castro was at Bulter but he also hardly played, thus the transfer.

Now, I remember two years ago DC was a huge work in progress.  I remember folks in the stands yelling at Ferry to take him out, he shot too much and didn't hit his shots, etc.  Last year was better and this year is awesome.  Castro, is more of a project than DC was.  Though I agree he is not ready to play much, he doesn't.  He is used to spell DC or Mason.  The first two minutes he was in last night I saw him make three mistakes in a row that cost us possessions.  BUT, I am going to reserve "HE STINKS" forever until I see him next year.  Hopefully, he will work in the gym as much as DC did.

Last edited by FAM (12/17/2015 9:47 am)

12/17/2015 9:59 am  #8

godukes1970 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I hate to come down hard on any of the Dukes, but I believe you have a point.  I believe on at least two occasions he drove to the hoop from the right side, he put the ball up very weakly, and it hit the rim from its underside. He may have gotten the rebound; but in spite of SCS's taller players hovered over him, he attempted to shoot through their outstretched hands resulting in the the Dukes losing possession of the ball.  He also showed some very hurly-jerky (not in a good way) movements at times while dribbling the ball as he moved down the lane.  He looks very uncomfortable out there, or is it that he makes me very uncomfortable watching him struggle.  Hopefully he can return to the form that Coach Ferry saw in him when he recruited him out of high school.

By the way,  Sagarin predictor score had the Dukes favored by 15 1/2 pts. over SCS tonight.  For what it's worth, Sagarin also ranked the Dukes at #127, SCS at #305, and Robert Morris (1-9) at #313.  

And his one assist was in the paint to the other team.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/17/2015 11:11 am  #9

Some observations on SCS game: SCS, during the fist half, was the most disciplined and patient team the Dukes faced all year;The two-three zone with Eric James moving in and out changed the game;Jere Jones made three plays in succession in the second half that started SCS's downfall--a three pointer, he took a charge and then a steal with a thunder dunk;The Dukes played absolutely awesome defense in the second half;SCS's coach did a huge favor to the Dukes by taking out #1 at the 13 minute mark (he had 18 points at that juncture of the game) and did not put him back in until the 6.5 minute mark--he had 18 when he left the game and ended up with 18;  it was no coincidence that when he came back in Eric James was assigned to him in the Dukes man defense;Tysean Powell got the crowd into the game with his dunk on DC's feed--he also got every important defensive and one offensive rebound plus a steal in the second half;This team right now exudes confidence.

12/17/2015 3:34 pm  #10

Don't want to get too over optimistic just yet. We beat a bunch of cream-puffs to this point and fell-apart against the only 2 quality teams.  The Dukes are strong on the open 3's and young and weak inside. If I were Ferry, I'd start to center the next couple of games inside to get the feeling of fighting for some ground when we get to conf. play. Still, our senior leaders are on the perimeter, and will be attacked more in conf. play making   the Dukes play the inside game to win.  SCSU left the 3 wide open just too many times, but I must agree, the Dukes look way better than I thought they would be.  I like Ferry's use of the bench and switching D back and forth during the game. Smart moves. Just maybe this team might surprise a couple of A-10 teams. I hope so.  Go Dukes.   

12/17/2015 4:23 pm  #11

NapaDuke wrote:

Don't want to get too over optimistic just yet. We beat a bunch of cream-puffs to this point and fell-apart against the only 2 quality teams.  The Dukes are strong on the open 3's and young and weak inside. If I were Ferry, I'd start to center the next couple of games inside to get the feeling of fighting for some ground when we get to conf. play. Still, our senior leaders are on the perimeter, and will be attacked more in conf. play making   the Dukes play the inside game to win.  SCSU left the 3 wide open just too many times, but I must agree, the Dukes look way better than I thought they would be.  I like Ferry's use of the bench and switching D back and forth during the game. Smart moves. Just maybe this team might surprise a couple of A-10 teams. I hope so.  Go Dukes.   

Expected RPIs:

Western Kentucky - 114
Milwaukee - 128
Pepperdine - 137

12/18/2015 1:05 am  #12

WEB wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Expected RPIs:

Western Kentucky - 114
Milwaukee - 128
Pepperdine - 137

I don't worry too much about expected RPI, as that is just an educated guess. Current RPI are as follows.

Milwaukee - 78,
WKU - 129
Pepperdine - 124
Penn St. - 119

Not murderers row, but hardly creampuffs. These are schools that are close to the Dukes in quality, and we won 3 of 4 vs them, none of which were at Palumbo.

12/18/2015 10:27 am  #13

Nice win by the Dukes. It is especially promising that they Dukes won this one and the SFU game with a much improved defensive performance - you're not going to lose many games under Jim Ferry if the Dukes hold their opponent to under 70 points.  The way the Dukes locked down on defense in the second half was very encouraging.

As a point of comparison (Pomeroy again ), here are the defensive efficiency numbers from the last 3 games (D-1 Average is 102.1):
UMBC - 94.1
SFU - 92.7
SC St. - 97.0

Here are some selected non-conference losses from last year:
NJIT - 115.9
Robert Morris - 108.9
Saint Francis - 106.9
UMES - 124.5

You can see the pattern. Looking at the conference games last year, the Dukes were 5-1 in conference when posting a defensive efficiency of less than 102.0 - the D-1 Average (wins against George Mason, Saint Louis twice, Dayton and Fordham; and a one point loss to Rhode Island).  If the Dukes continue to progress on defense, we could have a magical year.  Go Dukes!

12/19/2015 8:07 am  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Nice win by the Dukes. It is especially promising that they Dukes won this one and the SFU game with a much improved defensive performance - you're not going to lose many games under Jim Ferry if the Dukes hold their opponent to under 70 points.  The way the Dukes locked down on defense in the second half was very encouraging.

As a point of comparison (Pomeroy again ), here are the defensive efficiency numbers from the last 3 games (D-1 Average is 102.1):
UMBC - 94.1
SFU - 92.7
SC St. - 97.0

NJIT - 115.9
Robert Morris - 108.9
Saint Francis - 106.9
UMES - 124.5

You can see the pattern. Looking at the conference games last year, the Dukes were 5-1 in conference when posting a defensive efficiency of less than 102.0 - the D-1 Average (wins against George Mason, Saint Louis twice, Dayton and Fordham; and a one point loss to Rhode Island).  If the Dukes continue to progress on defense, we could have a magical year.  Go Dukes!

Great post. Thanks for adding numbers to what many have been seeing. I've always thought that it is easier to stop a three-pointer than to hit a three pointer, so it has been routinely dispiriting to watch other teams come alive from long range against us in recent years. While these numbers are not "three-specific," there have been less open looks and less scrambling back to an open penetrator  from short range. These numbers are encouraging, and I'd like to follow them against stiffer competition.

I also like to see the team switching defenses, as it seems to leave something unexpected for the opponents. Certainly threw off SCS. If we're not the best man defense and we're not the best zone defense, switching things up at least throws a kink for the other team. Of course, I'd like us to become the best man and zone defenders that we can be, but at least the predictableness of the defense is lessened.

12/19/2015 12:10 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

WEB wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Expected RPIs:

Western Kentucky - 114
Milwaukee - 128
Pepperdine - 137

I don't worry too much about expected RPI, as that is just an educated guess. Current RPI are as follows.

Milwaukee - 78,
WKU - 129
Pepperdine - 124
Penn St. - 119

Not murderers row, but hardly creampuffs. These are schools that are close to the Dukes in quality, and we won 3 of 4 vs them, none of which were at Palumbo.

Let's be honest. IN college hoop, in my view, there are always about 10-15  elite teams. About 40 very good teams, followed by an amorphous blob of about 150  "mediocre to good teams," a collection that usually solidifies its position around February 1, when conference play s in full swing, followed by about a 100 below average teams and 30 or so tranwrecks.

Right now the Dukes and many of their recent opponents are solidly in the middle blob. They have lost to one very good team Pitt and lost to Pepperdine, another blob team.  They stomped on a below average Penn State team and blew out a train wreck, Mississippi Valley.

Their goal is to play the schedule they have. continue to get better, and beat more of those blob teams. I believe they have the potential to get to the top of the blob, and maybe even get into the very good range, (only about a 15% chance, but still). I don't see them falling out of the blob to below average which would be a marked inmprovement over last year.

Let's start by destroying the train wreck team from Moon Township today!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/19/2015 12:51 pm  #16

rosceaux wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

UMBC - 94.1
SFU - 92.7
SC St. - 97.0

NJIT - 115.9
Robert Morris - 108.9
Saint Francis - 106.9
UMES - 124.5

Great post. Thanks for adding numbers to what many have been seeing. I've always thought that it is easier to stop a three-pointer than to hit a three pointer, so it has been routinely dispiriting to watch other teams come alive from long range against us in recent years. While these numbers are not "three-specific," there have been less open looks and less scrambling back to an open penetrator  from short range. These numbers are encouraging, and I'd like to follow them against stiffer competition.

I also like to see the team switching defenses, as it seems to leave something unexpected for the opponents. Certainly threw off SCS. If we're not the best man defense and we're not the best zone defense, switching things up at least throws a kink for the other team. Of course, I'd like us to become the best man and zone defenders that we can be, but at least the predictableness of the defense is lessened.

rosceaux, thanks.  Unfortunately, your eyeballs are seeing the major defensive weakness in the Dukes - defending the 3 point shot.  Currently, opponents are making 42.6% of their 3 pointers, placing us as the 10th worst team in the country ranked at #342.  Conversely, our 2 point FG defense is really good; opponents are only making 41.4% of their 2 point shots, placing us #22 in the country.  Yes, teams are shooting a better percentage from 3's than 2's.  I believe that we are the only team in the country that holds that distinction. 

12/19/2015 9:07 pm  #17

Great point, Ferry bunches them in and gives up the 3 ball too much. Man to man means shutting down the 3 shooter and fighting for  the inside shot.  The RM game was both of these points. In reality this should have been a blow a way for a good coached Dukes team, but 3 years of zone D and an offense launching 3's as a strategy gets you to a close game against a very weak team. Get smarter FAST. Ferry, you got the BIGS on the team this year, use them !! 

Board footera