Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2016 3:43 pm  #51

Re: Dayton

Phoenix - Good points.  Gill & Colter need to get back on track, and Castro needs to step up his game if we are going to be successful.  IMHO Colter has been playing too many minutes all season long and I think it may be taking a toll on his game.

Westender -  WEB  is entitled to his opinions, and I think his, let's say highly supportive  comments, are not realted to the Ron thing, but are more related to his concern that he does not want to see another coaching change as he believes Ferry is the right guy to get us to the NCAA.  Contrary to what I think he believes about me, I am also over the Amodio & Ron firing thing as Amodio is gone, and there is nothing that will change history .  I am focused on the future.  I also want Ferry to succeed, and by succeed I mean turning the corner and having a winning season this year, and move to the top part of the League next year.  There has definitely been progress in this team and it is yet to be seen if the Dukes have improved enough to move up in the A10.  The other teams are not exactly standing still.  In the mean time this is a conversational message board and there are bound to be disagreements.

Dome - I honestly do not mind poster who cheerlead, or if they call out posters on their positions, but sometimes it feels like legitimate criticism is being attacked as if they called their kids ugly.

Last edited by CLK (1/04/2016 3:58 pm)

1/04/2016 4:37 pm  #52

Sean and Archie are chips off the old block - dad, high school coach John Miller, who Ray Goss pointed out as the coach who went to more state championships than any other coach in state history.  What is it about Archie?  Well, couple things he does which has made Dayton successful - 1st, if you don't play D, well, you don't play for Archie, which was conveyed to me by a vet college coach retired and now color commentator for A-10.  This coach lists Archie among his list of his 6 favorite college coaches in the country.
Second, following A Dayton offensive possession, Archie allows his players just 3 seconds to get down court and in their defensive positions and if you need more than 3 then you don't play for Archie - that simple.  The price he pays on this one is his teams tend to give up potential  rebounds while his gain is that virtually nobody beats Archie down court for easy baskets.  Saturday the Dukes out rebounded Dayton yet virtually all the hustle stats were in Dayton's favor, such as fast break points. 
One other thing of note, Dayton has only one senior in the rotation, Pierre, and though that one senior was ineligible until just the past week, the Flyers knocked off two top 50 RPI  teams and amassed one of the best records in A-10.

1/04/2016 6:02 pm  #53

Hilltopper I had no idea they are playing the 10th rated schedule. I thought he pulled a rabbit out of the hat Saturday. It really was about desire and execution in key possessions. He also has a point guard.

1/04/2016 11:45 pm  #54

Napa 10 maybe a bit much but I agree we can't have a point guard that averages 3 a game. We consistently have more turnovers than assists. Saturday we had 8A to 18turovers. Dayton had 16A to 10turnovers. We turn it over 13/15 times a game. Colter needed to score early in his career now he needs to mature. Ferry is to willing to allow his guys to shoot at will. In league play each and every possession is valuable we don't treat them that way.

1/05/2016 2:37 am  #55

Westender wrote:

CLK , as you already said, you're wasting your time trying to be objective with WEB about Jim Ferry's coaching and the progress of the program under Jim Ferry. Certainly, there has been progress. What remains to be seen is if Jim Ferry is the "next level coach" that Greg Amodio labeled him when, in my opinion, he purposely added insult to injury in the firing of Ron Everhart. WEB is shameless in his compliments of Ferry such as the one you are challenging in this thread and several other threads he originated or posted in during the past several weeks - " Dukes face adversity, Ferry's recruiting depth will help with the loss of .... Jeremiah Jones. " ;" Ferry improves the season to 10-2." (I thought the players improved the season to 10-2). WEB is constantly touting the coaching of Jim Ferry - I assume to justify his campaigning to get Ron Everhart fired.

In defense of Web, if you're going to criticize "Ferry improves the season to 10-2" as a headline, where have there been criticisms of headlines such as "Duquesne head coach Dan Burt has the Dukes off to a 13-1 start" from Matt Shelton... or previously "Everhart has Duquesne on the Rise" or "Everhart's 10-40 return leads to a Dukes victory", etc.?  How are those much different?  While I didn't like the second headline about JJ's knee injury (I'd have made the headline about JJ, put that recruiting depth would be tested inside the body if you so desire) - and it does seem to fit a narrative of cheerleading - I also wish that folks would quit presuming it's about justifying his campaign to get RE fired.  Web and I talk DU and other hoops a lot (practically daily via email right now), and it's been over a year since Everhart was even mentioned in the conversations.  His posts are a matter of looking out for this team - and this coach.  Please don't assume things there...even if it may seem that way (and I can certainly understand why it would seem that way).

My two cents on the other topics...

From my angle at the game behind DU's bench there were quite a few open threes.  However, the open threes were from guys that DU fans should have been ok taking the open threes for the most part - Pollard (25%), Sam Miller (14%), Darrell Davis (30%), Kyle Davis (25%).  As a Dukes fan, I was sitting in my seat saying "Let him shoot that!"  The more contested looks were to the better shooters from Dayton.   I don't recall an open look for Mikesell, Dayton's best three point shooter, and Dayton's second best shooter Cooke may have had two open looks IIRC by now.  It was more a matter of recognizing shooters - something that DU teams haven't done overly well in the past and an area that needed improvement. 

While I'm not sold that the loss of Mason helped the three-point defense, I do firmly believe that the addition of Eric James in place of Jeremiah has helped the three-point shooting defense (while hurting the two-point defense some also IMO).  I've said it to a couple of friends and readers of this and the other board, but I think James may be your best defender right now.

Also, I'm not jumping of the Colter bandwagon yet.  Yes, he's had a few rough games in a row, but I still have faith in him to be a top five PG in the A10 PG the rest of the year.

1/05/2016 1:48 pm  #56

rogabee, I have to challenge your view of Colter but first let me say two things. I see a point guard as a facilitator and distributor first and secondly that Colter was never meant to be one. Since his first season which I think few would argue was the worst supporting cast his assists have fallen from 156 to 101,113 and 57 so far this year. Although it looks like he is averaging 4 per game in the tough games he has come up short. I realize Saturday is one game but in his last 5 games he is 18/75 from the field with 23A and 21 T. No point guard should be leading his team in shots. BTW Schoie Smith in 30 minutes had 6A, 0T, and 3 steals to 3-8-0 in 38 for Colter. I also stand by my statements earlier in the year warning of the minutes played by our starters.

Last edited by The Dome (1/05/2016 1:56 pm)

1/05/2016 2:14 pm  #57

I think you should warn Coach McKillop from Davidson about overplaying his players. His guards played  37 and 34 minutes vs. St. Bonaventure. That is about their yearly average.   His ace guard (who is the leading scorer in the A-10) who he uses as a combo 1 and/or 2,  is leading the league in shots attempts, has 49 A and 41TO, He has just as bad stats at DC. Better warn coach McKillop of these bad stats.   BTW it is Schootchie Smith.  If you intend to challenge and be critical of our team, our schedule, our point guard, God, Country and the Marines, WEB and me the least you can do is to learn to spell things correctly.

1/05/2016 2:39 pm  #58

Grammy love how you carry everything to extremes and personnel attacks. Just wish you knew a bit more about hoops!!!!

1/05/2016 2:58 pm  #59

rogabee - I agree, at this point Ferry's success or failure has nothing to do with the firing of Ron, and the conversation has for the most part (for good or bad) been centered on Ferry's performance.  On your point of recognizing the three shooters and hence the reason for not challenging the shots I hope that was the case, but I do not think it was.  I have not checked the stats recently, but before the Dayton game Duquesne was the worst three point defense in the League.  

Dome - I have also been saying that Colter has been playing too many minutes and it looks like it is affecting his game.  Keep in mind Colter only knows one speed (super fast).

grammuder - "He who is without typos or spelling errors let him cast the first vowel" 

1/05/2016 3:11 pm  #60

CLK wrote:

rogabee - I agree, at this point Ferry's success or failure has nothing to do with the firing of Ron, and the conversation has for the most part (for good or bad) been centered on Ferry's performance.  On your point of recognizing the three shooters and hence the reason for not challenging the shots I hope that was the case, but I do not think it was.  I have not checked the stats recently, but before the Dayton game Duquesne was the worst three point defense in the League.  

I agree with this also.  Like I said, it was an area that needed improvement.  To me, a lot of the struggles defending the three point shot has been because the Dukes have helped too much IMO on defense and left shooters open.  And I can certainly understand the argument that it was happenstance or luck that the guys that can't shoot were open and the guys that could shoot were covered more often in the Dayton game.

1/05/2016 3:21 pm  #61

rogabee your point on helping especially when they where in the zone is IMHO right on. We also seem to be incredibly susceptible to head and ball fakes that get our guys off the ground and out of position.

Grammy since McKillop according to ESPN's rankings is playing the 24th ranked overall schedule and he is a 8 time NCAA coach I'll spare the advice. But this certainly isn't a vintage year for him talent wise.

1/05/2016 3:24 pm  #62

Regarding defense-ours and theirs
Davidson gives up 81 ppg
Their opponents are shooting 38% from the 3
They have been outrebounded 43 to 35 pg
Not exactly dazzling defensive stats
Dukes will probably be underdogs but this is a winnable game especially if Mason is healthy.

Dayton is a very good team projected to win the A10. The game is over-time to move on

1/05/2016 3:58 pm  #63

grammudder wrote:

I think you should warn Coach McKillop from Davidson about overplaying his players. His guards played  37 and 34 minutes vs. St. Bonaventure. That is about their yearly average.   His ace guard (who is the leading scorer in the A-10) who he uses as a combo 1 and/or 2,  is leading the league in shots attempts, has 49 A and 41TO, He has just as bad stats at DC. Better warn coach McKillop of these bad stats.   BTW it is Schootchie Smith.  If you intend to challenge and be critical of our team, our schedule, our point guard, God, Country and the Marines, WEB and me the least you can do is to learn to spell things correctly.

Gram, I couldn't help but point this out. Too damn funny. Scoochie, that is.
http://daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3121

1/07/2016 6:56 pm  #64

rogabee wrote:

Westender wrote:

CLK , as you already said, you're wasting your time trying to be objective with WEB about Jim Ferry's coaching and the progress of the program under Jim Ferry. Certainly, there has been progress. What remains to be seen is if Jim Ferry is the "next level coach" that Greg Amodio labeled him when, in my opinion, he purposely added insult to injury in the firing of Ron Everhart. WEB is shameless in his compliments of Ferry such as the one you are challenging in this thread and several other threads he originated or posted in  

during the past several weeks - " Dukes face adversity, Ferry's recruiting depth will help with the loss of .... Jeremiah Jones. " ;" Ferry improves the season to 10-2." (I thought the players improved the season to 10-2). WEB is constantly touting the coaching of Jim Ferry - I assume to justify his campaigning to get Ron Everhart fired.

In defense of Web, if you're going to criticize "Ferry improves the season to 10-2" as a headline, where have there been criticisms of headlines such as "Duquesne head coach Dan Burt has the Dukes off to a 13-1 start" from Matt Shelton... or previously "Everhart has Duquesne on the Rise" or "Everhart's 10-40 return leads to a Dukes victory", etc.?  How are those much different?  While I didn't like the second headline about JJ's knee injury (I'd have made the headline about JJ, put that recruiting depth would be tested inside the body if you so desire) - and it does seem to fit a narrative of cheerleading - I also wish that folks would quit presuming it's about justifying his campaign to get RE fired.  Web and I talk DU and other hoops a lot (practically daily via email right now), and it's been over a year since Everhart was even mentioned in the conversations.  His posts are a matter of looking out for this team - and this coach.  Please don't assume things there...even if it may seem that way (and I can certainly understand why it would seem that way).

I have been away from the board for a few days, but I want to respond to your post by simply saying that I believe what I believe and post what I post based on what I see and hear. I don't want to prolong this discussion. It doesn't even belong in this thread. In the end, the results will speak for themselves.  

Last edited by Westender (1/07/2016 7:02 pm)

Board footera