Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2016 1:52 pm  #1

Dayton

Up  41-20 at the half. Looking really good.

1/03/2016 3:27 pm  #2

Re: Dayton

Absolutely great game!   Just got home.  Dukes take a 10-0 lead and never looked back. Dayton post players didn't have anyhthing today.   Great contributions by all the Dukes.  Triple double by April.

1/03/2016 4:34 pm  #3

Could be interesting to see how much that helps the Lady Dukes rise in the polls!!

AND shortly into game April was hobbling a little - was hoping it was NOT going to be a situation similar to what happened with Mason.

And final could have been a LOT worse - was 86-43 at one point- Dayton's end of the bench players knocked down some bombs in the last 3 minutes (making me wonder where THEY were for the first 37 minutes.

Funny that duqkurt mentioned the start - after Lady Dukes got up 10-0 Dayton took a "twenty second time out" that lasted like 5 minutes -  Dayton made a "mini-run" and there was NO "media" time out after the 5 minute mark like there was in the last three quarters.

And the Ladies "REALLY GET IT"  -  I've noticed at the last three home games they periodically post on the board "Meet the coaches and players and get some autographs after the game" Can you Imagine the Ohio State or Alabama football team doing something like THAT for THEIR fans? (even if the "hundred dollar handshakes" were still taking place)

1/03/2016 5:00 pm  #4

CBS took their quarter commercial break when Dayton called timeout.   Thus, there was none needed halfway through the quarter.   That was really just an aspect of the game being televised.

1/03/2016 6:04 pm  #5

SkepticAl wrote:

Could be interesting to see how much that helps the Lady Dukes rise in the polls!!

AND shortly into game April was hobbling a little - was hoping it was NOT going to be a situation similar to what happened with Mason.

And final could have been a LOT worse - was 86-43 at one point- Dayton's end of the bench players knocked down some bombs in the last 3 minutes (making me wonder where THEY were for the first 37 minutes.

Funny that duqkurt mentioned the start - after Lady Dukes got up 10-0 Dayton took a "twenty second time out" that lasted like 5 minutes -  Dayton made a "mini-run" and there was NO "media" time out after the 5 minute mark like there was in the last three quarters.

And the Ladies "REALLY GET IT"  -  I've noticed at the last three home games they periodically post on the board "Meet the coaches and players and get some autographs after the game" Can you Imagine the Ohio State or Alabama football team doing something like THAT for THEIR fans? (even if the "hundred dollar handshakes" were still taking place)

Media timeouts in women's basketball are first called timeout or under 5 minute mark, whichever comes first.  That Dayton TO got stretched to the media as a result hence why it felt like 5 minutes.  

1/04/2016 12:13 am  #6

1/04/2016 6:28 am  #7

OPTIMIST -  THANKS AND WOW

I nominate this guy for the NCAA WOMEN'S TOURNAMENT SELECTION COMMITTEE - PREFERABLY AS CHAIRMAN!!!

While I'm not yet ready to go shirtless to a game - paint my face blue and scream WE WANT UCONN- (dream scenario Dukes due get UConn in the final -  Dukes win by one as Chassidy gets a FOUR point play at the final buzzer (foul on Brianna Stewart -  April picks up her thirteenth assist on the play for a triple double)  

Still hope the ladies can continue to win and qualify for the tournament comfortably - as I posted recently - on the guys side the Committee can at least "see" some of these bubble teams (like the sixth place team in the Big 10 vs the 7th place team in the Big 12) several times and make a judgement based on that -  I wonder how many times the committee on the woman's side in recent years "saw Duquesne - and some of the last teams in and the first teams out and was able to make the judgement and selection.

1/04/2016 5:53 pm  #8

Haven't posted in a while, but I just sent an e-mail to the managing and sports editor for the Trib for their paltry coverage on the game yesterday. A nearly full page story on Pitt and two small paragraphs on the Dukes. Pathetic!

1/04/2016 6:50 pm  #9

Rob Rossi already covered Duquesne women for the year for the Trib.  Remember he declared them "Sturdy" so why bother checking back in?

1/04/2016 7:00 pm  #10

I disagree with just about everything Rossi says and I have no idea why the Trib keeps him around, but I don't really get the criticism of that "sturdy" remark. The women's program is heading in a great direction, but they have not achieved anything greater than a WNIT yet. I don't see how a program that has never been to an ncaa tournament can be called anything much greater than "sturdy" at this point. Hopefully that changes this year

1/04/2016 7:38 pm  #11

Dukes2012 wrote:

I disagree with just about everything Rossi says and I have no idea why the Trib keeps him around, but I don't really get the criticism of that "sturdy" remark. The women's program is heading in a great direction, but they have not achieved anything greater than a WNIT yet. I don't see how a program that has never been to an ncaa tournament can be called anything much greater than "sturdy" at this point. Hopefully that changes this year

One of 18 schools with 20+ wins the last 7 seasons.  That is more than sturdy.  Just because the NCAA women's selection committee is biased towards the Power 5 conferences does not take away in any way, shape, or form from their success.

The sturdy comment was damning with faint praise.  It was lazy.  Just because a tournament selection process doesn't select you (when you have had better RPI's twice than other at large teams) doesn't take away from the success this program has had.

That is why I take offense to the sturdy comment. The 20 minutes he took to write that article is the sum of the time he has spent paying attention to Duquesne athletics.

And what is wrong with a DU coach getting fired up and firing back a little at the media? Have no problem with that either.  I like that Coach Burt and others have taken offense at the comment. Better than the usual Duquesne malaise.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/04/2016 7:43 pm)

1/04/2016 8:12 pm  #12

duqkurt wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

One of 18 schools with 20+ wins the last 7 seasons.  That is more than sturdy.  Just because the NCAA women's selection committee is biased towards the Power 5 conferences does not take away in any way, shape, or form from their success.

The sturdy comment was damning with faint praise.  It was lazy.  Just because a tournament selection process doesn't select you (when you have had better RPI's twice than other at large teams) doesn't take away from the success this program has had.

That is why I take offense to the sturdy comment. The 20 minutes he took to write that article is the sum of the time he has spent paying attention to Duquesne athletics.

And what is wrong with a DU coach getting fired up and firing back a little at the media? Have no problem with that either.  I like that Coach Burt and others have taken offense at the comment. Better than the usual Duquesne malaise.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I like Burt a lot and we are really lucky to have him. I love the fact that he is passionate about the program, but the best way to shut up the detractors is to just win.

Rossi's article was filled with inaccuracies and was clearly written without much effort, but I just can't get too upset about that sturdy comment. If you asked most people to describe a program that has never been to an ncaa tournament but has had the recent successes that we have, I think sturdy is a term some would use. You make good points about the 20-win seasons, but unfortunately the average basketball fan measures success by making it to the biggest stage of the sport

1/04/2016 9:00 pm  #13

got it.  You think they are sturdy.

Board footera