Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2016 4:11 pm  #1

SLU

I'll be leaving in a little while to head off to dinner then the game.  Today's P-G lists the Dukes as 8 point favorites.  That would be fine with me.  So would a 1 point win.  This is a must win for us tonight.  We can't afford a loss at home to a struggling team like SLU.

1/13/2016 5:11 pm  #2

Re: SLU

Good time to start a winning streak.

1/13/2016 7:40 pm  #3

Strange game so far. Lewis has to have 7 snuffs by now. Our offense is a bit ugly though, and we should be winning even bigger with StL playing so poorly.

1/13/2016 7:58 pm  #4

Our average time of possession is probably about 3.2 seconds per trip down the floor - might have been the BEST half I've EVER seen Lewis play -  WHO is our third guard (Mason & Colter played full 20)

Ladies are up 49-32 at the half - THEY SCORED 31 POINTS IN THE SECOND QUARTER according to the scoreboard I saw -  WOW!!!!

1/13/2016 8:19 pm  #5

SkepticAl wrote:

Our average time of possession is probably about 3.2 seconds per trip down the floor - might have been the BEST half I've EVER seen Lewis play -  WHO is our third guard (Mason & Colter played full 20)

Ladies are up 49-32 at the half - THEY SCORED 31 POINTS IN THE SECOND QUARTER according to the scoreboard I saw -  WOW!!!!

Seems like whatever the lead is, Ferry senses this is must-win, and is keeping his starting guards in. Not really necessary,or a good move.

1/13/2016 8:53 pm  #6

applecorps wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

Seems like whatever the lead is, Ferry senses this is must-win, and is keeping his starting guards in. Not really necessary,or a good move.

He must have seen this post because he left the reserves in for a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time.  All I know is Smith and Lewis better be good next year!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/13/2016 8:56 pm  #7

Think the Gamblers who took the Dukes giving 8 were SQUIRMING A LITTLE AT THE END?  Just good to be back on the winning side.

1/13/2016 8:56 pm  #8

I guess we have our answers as to why Micah and DC play so many minutes. Great first 30 mins but those last 10 mins without Micah and DC were hard to watch

1/13/2016 9:02 pm  #9

Take a 33 point blow out and win by 10?
Castro will make a average d2 team, but not D1 IMHO
Two guys shooting lights out from 3 land, we don't cover them man to man, Mason has a chaser all night.
I would have rather not given some subs so much expierence but went 8 -9 deep and kept that 25-30 point win.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/13/2016 9:36 pm  #10

Phildog wrote:

Take a 33 point blow out and win by 10?
Castro will make a average d2 team, but not D1 IMHO
Two guys shooting lights out from 3 land, we don't cover them man to man, Mason has a chaser all night.
I would have rather not given some subs so much expierence but went 8 -9 deep and kept that 25-30 point win.

Nice to get the win, but I don't get it either. It seems we have given SLU more confidence by allowing that massive come back for the return match.  If they would have made that spun out three in the closing second it would have been a 7 point win beating the spread.  Moreover, I did not see much coaching going on the last 8 minutes so what's the point? 

Great defense in the first half.  Lewis played his best game in my opinion.  Also nice to see Micah and Derrick making some treys again. 

Last edited by CLK (1/13/2016 9:39 pm)

1/13/2016 10:50 pm  #11

Well, everyone has been worried about Micah, and Derrick getting worn down. The reserves stink, but this was a rare time to give the starters a rest.

1/13/2016 11:20 pm  #12

I don't want to be argumentative but my question is why do the reserves stink? Are they not all of Ferry's guys as of now. How does Steel go from being the starter against Dayton and playing 37 minutes to the last non walk on off the bench tonight. They still had 20 turnovers many of which came from the starters. Colter had 4 assists and the offense was horrible. And someone needs to explain to me why when your up by 25/30 your coach is screaming to hustle the ball up the court. Yes we won a game but not a lot of positives. I forgot one Robinson suddenly seems to have found some time in 12 minutes 4 points 8 rebounds no fouls.

1/14/2016 12:17 am  #13

The Dome wrote:

I don't want to be argumentative but my question is why do the reserves stink? Are they not all of Ferry's guys as of now. How does Steel go from being the starter against Dayton and playing 37 minutes to the last non walk on off the bench tonight. They still had 20 turnovers many of which came from the starters. Colter had 4 assists and the offense was horrible. And someone needs to explain to me why when your up by 25/30 your coach is screaming to hustle the ball up the court. Yes we won a game but not a lot of positives. I forgot one Robinson suddenly seems to have found some time in 12 minutes 4 points 8 rebounds no fouls.

Well, to be honest, when haven't our reserves stunk? Probably the year we had Reggie, and Tuck. Other than that, anything beyond the 7th man has been horrid for 30 plus years. I guess that's why we've won 20 games twice in the last 43 years.

1/14/2016 9:27 am  #14

My thoughts after watching the game...
-Crowd - as I was walking into the Palumbo there were probably 50 students walking past me to go somewhere but not there.  They weren't all together, there were groups, but DU should be pulling those students in.
-The game...I have been disappointed, like many of you, frequently.  Last night, They won at least one out of the two  league home games this week.  Let's see about Saturday.
-The let down at the end was normal - they were up by a huge lead, something they aren't used to, that happens
-I did not have a problem with Ferry getting other players time when we were up.  Those opportunities are few and far between.  Also, I actually saw signs of a pattern when he was substituting two for two last night with the same guys!  Also, when he had both of our starting guards on the bench resting, and other guys playing this was needed.
-I too wondered about Steele but it was obvious that Jackson is a player...and he took Gill out more last night than usual.  They also went inside to score frequently.  To me, this Saturday against the Bonnies will be a litmus test on where the team is overall so far.
-If there aren't more students I am really going to be upset Saturday.  Maybe they should hold Mass in the Palumbo from 4:15 - 5:15 followed by the game!

1/14/2016 9:50 am  #15

duq81 wrote:

Well, everyone has been worried about Micah, and Derrick getting worn down. The reserves stink, but this was a rare time to give the starters a rest.

I have no problem with playing the subs. My problem was that there was no coaching going on during the last 8+ minutes during which  SLU made their big run.  Ferry never called a time out.  Never made any adjustments.  When asked abut this he said he did this on purpose because the kids needed to figure it out themselves.  I didn't get that.

1/14/2016 10:01 am  #16

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I have no problem with playing the subs. My problem was that there was no coaching going on during the last 8+ minutes during which  SLU made their big run.  Ferry never called a time out.  Never made any adjustments.  When asked abut this he said he did this on purpose because the kids needed to figure it out themselves.  I didn't get that.

I like when coaches see a run, like a 2 then a turnover and a 3, immediately call time out to stop the momentum, the players figure it out when you wake them up, bench the kid that. Made the turnover.

Then go down and score. And get the game back under control. That last ten min made me sick, a team that had been smothered all game making shots at will as the Dukes ran around like they were in DAP's defense and offense........

A diehard fan since 1961

1/14/2016 10:33 am  #17

I just don't understand the criticism of last night's coaching strategy.  They came out and went for the throat by pounding the ball inside and letting Lewis control the game.  That strategy got them their first 14 points and eventually led to a 25 point halftime lead. For the game they got 34 to 14 points in the paint.  When the team loses, Ferry is criticized.  When they win he is criticized.  I am 100% in agreement with what he did in letting the subs-scholarship and non-scholarship players play-having been a former player and coach.  You can teach kids to play. You can't teach winning.  You can only attempt to teach winning basketball.  The kids have to do that themselves-learn how to win and we haven't done that well the last three years- and want to do it.  The starters had already won and won big.  His reference to "figuring it out for themselves" was to his second and third line players.  Add to that the facts that Jackson, Powell, Robinson and Sanders, to a lesser degree, gave quality minutes of defense off the bench.  (Powell and Robinson with 8 boards each)  Enjoy the win.  I, for one, believe and expect there is more to come.  I see a realistic potential for nine more league wins.  I opine because the Dukes seemed to have  played better under Ferry as the season progresses.  Continued production from the bench is a must.   I agree with the other thread that the Bonnies game is huge.  My guess is that the oddsmakers will call it a toss-up game. 

Last edited by grammudder (1/14/2016 10:38 am)

1/14/2016 10:50 am  #18

Also, excellent overall job by the team yesterday.  Picked apart SLU inside so easily.  It looked like the GW game in reverse.  Awful performance by SLU eerily similar to the Dukes awful performance against GW.

CLK wrote:

You're treating it like this can't be done during film study today.  To some extent, I agree with Ferry here.  The reserves are going to have to play 8 minutes in a row without a timeout at some point in the next year or two, perhaps even this year if you get another injury.  It's the same thing Everhart did in the scrimmage to Millersville in the 2007 season when he didn't call a timeout in the last four minutes and didn't make noticeable adjustments either.  You have to know your athletes - some athletes will respond better to coaching at the time while others will be better off if you let them compete and take the next day to give instruction.

Also, like duq81 said, for those whining about DC and Mason getting worn down, Ferry did give them a breather.  I'll also take someone like Marqwell getting 20+ minutes, Castro and Robinson 12 mins each.

I'm also not sure on how much the mental advantage SLU may have gained was either.  It was guys like Bishop, whose season high was five points coming into today, scoring 21.  Newfield played his most minutes since Thansgiving.  SLU went to their bench some too, but left two starters in Yacabou and Crawford in.  Three other starters for SLU played 13 minutes or less.  I can see how this would raise questions about next year (Tarin Smith better be good!), but less about SLU's mental edge for a rematch when three starters got crushed and never were a part of the comeback.

1/14/2016 11:11 am  #19

Phildog wrote:

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I like when coaches see a run, like a 2 then a turnover and a 3, immediately call time out to stop the momentum, the players figure it out when you wake them up, bench the kid that. Made the turnover.

Then go down and score. And get the game back under control. That last ten min made me sick, a team that had been smothered all game making shots at will as the Dukes ran around like they were in DAP's defense and offense........

I agree with you Phil.  It is the coach's job to figure things out, tell the players what to do, and never quit coaching. 

Grammy,  you have proven will never accept any criticism of Ferry, even when merited.  The group that was on the floor the last 8+ minutes were all young players.  The group all looked like they had no clue what they were suppose to do.  Using your analogy... You have to teach them to play before you can teach them to win.  You never quit coaching, never.  Case in point the Dukes had three consecutive turnovers with Steel bringing the ball up with Sanders and Castro no where to be found when they got past half court.  On defense the players look totally lost.  I am glad these guys got to play.  I do not see how Ferry sitting on his ass, not telling them what to do, watching them get crushed, teaches them how to win. 

1/14/2016 11:17 am  #20

Rogabee, sure you can teach using the films.  I completely agree that these guys need to gain experience and be ready to play.  I don't see how that justifies Ferry not coaching his players during the game.   BTW what the hell does this have to do with Ron?  I never mentioned Ron.  I am stating my opinion about what Ferry did.  I don't care if Coach K did it I don't agree.

Last edited by CLK (1/14/2016 11:24 am)

1/14/2016 11:19 am  #21

The SLU coach did a similar strategy and that was with his starters!  He called a few time outs in the first 10 minutes and they were getting crushed.  At one point, he just kind of sat there.  IF we would have been losing and didn't call a time-out, not good.
ON A side related note, it is refreshing to talk about basketball strategy, discuss different opinions, not having anyone attacked, and doing it after a win.

1/14/2016 1:36 pm  #22

CLK I couldn't agree more. We are 17 games into the season and it looked like a shirts and skins pick up game. I have no problem with playing those guys my problem is the apparent lack of preparation at this point. I also agree that it was strange that Steel was at the point instead of Castro and Castro and Jackson steered clear of the ball and took up positions in the corners. Rogabee, being one of the "whiners," regarding the playing time of Colter & Mason last night did nothing but make my point had some of the role players gotten more time when you where beating up on the OCC opponents it would have looked better. As I said in my earlier post why not run a more deliberate offense predicated on multiple passes and ball sharing. The 3's continued to rain down and possession time was still around 13/14 seconds.

1/14/2016 2:10 pm  #23

Dome, I wish we'd have used the bench more OOC a little too. However, there were plenty of close games (most of them actually!) in there where the rotation had to be shortened if you wanted to win.

Regarding the offense the backups ran, like it or not that's Ferry's system of giving his players the green light to shoot at 13/14 seconds.  I've never liked when coaches have their players run one system as backups one way only to then have them run a different system when they're going  to get real minutes.  Frankly, I'm much more worried about the defense of the subs than the offense they ran.  The D looked highly mediocre at times.

1/14/2016 2:12 pm  #24

I also found it interesting Steele was at the PG spot above Castro.

1/14/2016 2:36 pm  #25

Ferry's option of preparing his subs wasn't there  in ooc as in his mind he was trying to establish a turnaround from last season's disastrous ooc record that would lead to what he believes could be a winning season, his first. Right or wrong for him then, he now has a dysfunctional Castro on his hands and suspect he will use Castro solely at the 2, essentially sharing pg duties between Micah and DC rest of the way.  Therefore, go half-court, enter the bigger Q and he has a potential 3-pt stopper on D which he has not had for 4 years, leaving Mason/DC to get a blow.  Mason clearly the better pg this year, anyway.

Board footera