Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2016 10:23 am  #26

Re: VCU GAMEDAY

Meh:  road game against a very, very good team in their home court.  Expected loss.

1.  Too many early stupid fouls from the big men, that put us in a hole early.

2.  Mason started off hot, and we even led at one point early.

3. still to many lackadaisical plays on defense and especially on inbounding. VCU announcers mentioned that DU was the worst team in the A-10 on inbound plays.

4. Some of the young guys got some needed minutes and experience against tough competition.

5.  Someone needs to make sure David Harper watches the VCU broadcast (despites its homer flaws) over and over and over again.  Did anyone else besides me look at that packed gym, with it's huge band and fired up crowd and say, "Gee I wish that was us"     I am firmly of the opinion that DU hoops can be that! I hope Harper looked at all the green giveaway tee shirts, the audience participation events, the fun things they did at almost every stoppage of play, and realize that that is the atmosphere we could have at the Palumbo.  The VCU announcers even wistfully said, they remembered not too long ago that you could walk up on gameday and buy a ticket anywhere in the building. Sound familiar.

I hope Harper and his team are on this!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/21/2016 11:03 am  #27

Tejas, #3 is extremely interesting to me.  I have never said anything, but where my seats are for home games (very close) I have often marveled at how inept we appear at times to get the ball inbounds.  Someone needs to spend more time with the players going over that.

Harper will know - he is on top of things...but it isn't about the give aways, etc.  The place is packed because they win.  There definitely is a lot more that needs to be done to get the students there, but winning will take care of most of it.

Not going to Mason any more...Badddddd weather approaching.

1/21/2016 1:22 pm  #28

FAM wrote:

Harper will know - he is on top of things...but it isn't about the give aways, etc.  The place is packed because they win.  There definitely is a lot more that needs to be done to get the students there, but winning will take care of most of it.

Not saying it can be done without winning, which obviously has to occur first, and not relying on giveaways, but you really have to create the atmosphere. Winning alone doesn't do it, as the Gailbreath family learned to their chagrin in the 70s when they thought all they had to do was throw open the gates of Three Rivers and the fans would show up in droves.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera