Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2016 9:24 am  #26

Re: George Mason Game

Dome:  If you knew anything about basketball you would know that a four point lead that swelled back to an 11 point lead and win meets the definition of protecting a lead and doing what it takes to win. You just seem to love to dwell on what you perceive is negativity-you are entitled to your opinion.  But not your version of facts when a suggestion that this team is slowly and surely gelling meets with your personal animosity.  You grudgingly and parsimoniously give the Dukes credit for winning.  ("I'm happy we won but......") Well, let's forget Powell's stats (did I mention he had four blocked shots).  Well, let's forget that Lewis did something totally out of character to re-up the lead. Well, let's forget the contributions of Jackson and James. Well, let's forget the usual steadiness of DC and Micah plus the emergence of Gill as a player who is developing an all around game.  Well, let's forget that even though we were an underdog (1-1.5 points on the Vegas lines), we still won by 11 on the visitor's floor. By the way, I hear the food at the Last Supper wasn't all that bad.

1/23/2016 10:07 am  #27

Just do me a favor have the guts to post win or lose. The only time we hear from you is after a win. If your happy with what happen great. I just tell it like I see it with out the pixie dust!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

1/23/2016 10:37 am  #28

Grammy,  just one quick comment.  I would not describe Colter's play as steady.  In League play he is 9-39 on threes 23%, and 27 assists with 28 turnovers.  Not what you want from your  PG.  The sad part is their is he plays 37 to 38 minutes because Castro has not proven to be a viable alternative.

Last edited by CLK (1/23/2016 10:39 am)

1/23/2016 10:40 am  #29

http://triblive.com/mobile/9849194-96/turnpike-bus-duquesne
 Duquesne men's basketball team stranded on Pa. Turnpike

1/23/2016 11:08 am  #30

FYI to the Dome:  This is the post I made after the Dukes' losses to GT, Dayton, Davidson and G-W, four of them consecutively.  "Let me add a couple of pennies of thought. Expectations!!! What were they at the season's onset, including yours DC1991? Anywhere from 13 to 19 wins seemed to be the guess range. The OOC schedule results exceeded most expectations. No one expected Jere Jones to go down for the year. No one expected a hampered Micah. Now, like it or not, the coaching staff has to pull some strings to right a ship that is foundering right now. I expect in the next eight (8) league games a 6 W scenario. Coaches have some options that the passage of time and use of player on the roster will allow for a modicum of success. No sense in speculating what could have been. I expect better W versus L results in the near future."

Since that post, the Dukes have gone 3-1 with W's versus St. Bonaventure, St. Louis and George Mason.  For the present, the ship has been righted.  It is not beyond expectations that LaSalle, St. Louis again and U. Mass can yield wins for the Dukes.  Dayton away and Davidson at home can yield a win but are not so probable. Regardless, the expectation of better results is more than likely a reality.  See, I can post when we lose.  My mindset is just a little different-probably the influence of Pixie dust.

1/23/2016 11:44 am  #31

The Dome wrote:

Just do me a favor have the guts to post win or lose. The only time we hear from you is after a win. If your happy with what happen great. I just tell it like I see it with out the pixie dust!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

The problem is that you're the exact opposite of Granny. You seem to find a lump of coal in every scenario, while Granny finds a diamond.

1/23/2016 12:10 pm  #32

CLK wrote:

Grammy,  just one quick comment.  I would not describe Colter's play as steady.  In League play he is 9-39 on threes 23%, and 27 assists with 28 turnovers.  Not what you want from your  PG.  The sad part is their is he plays 37 to 38 minutes because Castro has not proven to be a viable alternative.

Agreed, but one thing that is steady is his FT prowess in the last couple minutes of games when the Dukes are protecting a lead. Ferry has done a nice job ensuring that the ball stays in the hands of Colter and Mason in these situations.

1/23/2016 12:11 pm  #33

grammudder wrote:

FYI to the Dome:  This is the post I made after the Dukes' losses to GT, Dayton, Davidson and G-W, four of them consecutively.  "Let me add a couple of pennies of thought. Expectations!!! What were they at the season's onset, including yours DC1991? Anywhere from 13 to 19 wins seemed to be the guess range. The OOC schedule results exceeded most expectations. No one expected Jere Jones to go down for the year. No one expected a hampered Micah. Now, like it or not, the coaching staff has to pull some strings to right a ship that is foundering right now. I expect in the next eight (8) league games a 6 W scenario. Coaches have some options that the passage of time and use of player on the roster will allow for a modicum of success. No sense in speculating what could have been. I expect better W versus L results in the near future."

Since that post, the Dukes have gone 3-1 with W's versus St. Bonaventure, St. Louis and George Mason.  For the present, the ship has been righted.  It is not beyond expectations that LaSalle, St. Louis again and U. Mass can yield wins for the Dukes.  Dayton away and Davidson at home can yield a win but are not so probable. Regardless, the expectation of better results is more than likely a reality.  See, I can post when we lose.  My mindset is just a little different-probably the influence of Pixie dust.

Right now the Dukes are 3-4 in league play, if they pull off a surprise win or two down the stretch, this turns into a pretty good season.  They just might do it.   

1/23/2016 12:14 pm  #34

This snow thing is starting to be a public relations +1.  Of course I wish it never happened and everyone is safe.   

The picture with the school kids from the next bus is everywhere.

1/23/2016 12:14 pm  #35

Phoenix thank the rules makers for that. Several coaches have spoken out about the lack of 5 second calls when the reduced the shot clock. Unless you deny the ball on the inbounds it's very difficult to not foul the guards.

1/23/2016 12:19 pm  #36

Grammy since DC1991 isn't on this board how would we have seen the post?  Excuse me for wanting more from this program than a winning record. As long as your expectations are for mediocrity accept that. And please don't tell me we are anything but. I would love to eat my words but I don't think so.

1/23/2016 12:31 pm  #37

duq81 wrote:

The Dome wrote:

The problem is that you're the exact opposite of Granny. You seem to find a lump of coal in every scenario, while Granny finds a diamond.

Exactly.  You guys all seem more knowledgeable than me so I rarely post, but it's undeniable that the team has overall exceeded expectations, and that players like James and Powell are becoming key contributors as SOPHOMORES.  The deficiencies are equally obvious, not least of which is Ferry letting guys fling 3's without running the clock, especially when we are not a good 3 point shooting team, Mason excepted of course.  The glass is both empty and half full, but looking pretty  good for the immediate and long term future.

1/23/2016 12:31 pm  #38

The Dome wrote:

Grammy since DC1991 isn't on this board how would we have seen the post? Excuse me for wanting more from this program than a winning record. As long as your expectations are for mediocrity accept that. And please don't tell me we are anything but. I would love to eat my words but I don't think so.

Your problem is that you're confusing long term goals with short term ones. Everyone on this board wants to see the Dukes ranked, and getting at large bids to the dance. However, for this particular season, those goals would be pie in the sky. This team is simply not talented enough to reach that level. Those of us who live in the real world are looking for this team to maximize the talent that they do have, which should be able to get us 17-20 wins. In a best case scenario, where the team stayed healthy all year, and the breaks went our way, that's probably 20 wins regular season, tops. There is just not enough talent to expect more. With a few breaks, maybe we can do what the 2009 team did, and get hot in Brooklyn, and maybe even win it. Expecting us to roll teams like we were the Sihugo Green squads is just silly. Maybe if we start posting 19-20 win seasons, we might be able to start landing the talent that can take us a step further.

1/23/2016 12:55 pm  #39

Just a thought on the dwindling lead from someone who didn't watch the game. Maybe we came in with a good game plan which enabled us to build up a nice lead. Mason went in at the half made some adjustments and fought back. We eventually figured it out in the 2nnd half and finished them off. Had to work so I saw none of the game.

1/23/2016 1:55 pm  #40

Duq81 how do you know how much talent is on this team?  My point yesterday you played a bad team that you lead by 17 points in the first half. Is there a reason Colter and Mason played 39 and 38 respectively. You played 8 guys??  Really. Steel who started the Dayton game and played 30+ is no longer trustworthy?  Gill has to play 34 minutes?  I will repeat James would have never been given the opportunity he now has and we would be wondering in his 8-10 minute stints, What did we see in him?  How are you ever going to win consecutive games in Brooklyn playing 7-8 guys?

Board footera