Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2016 12:23 pm  #1

Hey we made Sportscenter.

Slow news day, sure but Sportscenter did a good five minutes, including a phone interview with Micah Mason.  The guys even hung out with a bunch of Iowa middle schoolers on a trip.  Hey any publicity is nice. Just think when those kids get ready to look at colleges, a few of them will say, "Hey remember when we met those guys from Duquesne during that blizzard back in 16.

(and continuing the future meme...... 

Discussion at an Iowa school cafeteria as the class of 2020 makes their plans.

Man I am applying to Duquesne. Remember when we met and hung out with the basketball team during the blizzard.

Oh yeah, those guys were great and Coach Ferry was so funny.

Dude, and we met those guys at the right time that year. They had just won at Mason. I started following them. They went on a great run and finished their season 21-10. They won two games in the A-10 Tourney and barely lost the champtionship game to Dayton. They were on the bubble but didn't make the dance. They went to the NIT and won two games.  Nice stepping stone for that team.

Yeah, they were an NIT team  the next year, as they had trouble replacing their guards but still doing well.

But then in 2018, they were runner up for the A 10 and finally made the Big Dance for the first time in 41 years. Jim Ferry was coach of the year in the Atlantic 10.  They were so happy to make the Dance, they gave North Carolina a good game, before the depth just wore them out, losing by 12.

Dude I so remember that game.  And the next year, when they finished in the top 3 of the A-10 and knocked off Ariizona 5-12 upset!  I remember CBS interviewed some delirious Dukes fans and some dude from Texas kept raving about how much he hated Arizona and it felt so good to finally beat that team!

And this year, that team is so loaded with Isiah Mike, Mike Lewis and Spencer Littleson, as seniors. Who knows how deep they will go this year.

Yeah, I think I am applying to Duquesne.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/23/2016 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Hey we made Sportscenter.

Great, funny, well thought out and ingenious post TD!!

1/23/2016 12:45 pm  #3

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Slow news day, sure but Sportscenter did a good five minutes, including a phone interview with Micah Mason.  The guys even hung out with a bunch of Iowa middle schoolers on a trip.  Hey any publicity is nice. Just think when those kids get ready to look at colleges, a few of them will say, "Hey remember when we met those guys from Duquesne during that blizzard back in 16.

(and continuing the future meme...... 

Discussion at an Iowa school cafeteria as the class of 2020 makes their plans.

Man I am applying to Duquesne. Remember when we met and hung out with the basketball team during the blizzard.

Oh yeah, those guys were great and Coach Ferry was so funny.

Dude, and we met those guys at the right time that year. They had just won at Mason. I started following them. They went on a great run and finished their season 21-10. They won two games in the A-10 Tourney and barely lost the champtionship game to Dayton. They were on the bubble but didn't make the dance. They went to the NIT and won two games.  Nice stepping stone for that team.

Yeah, they were an NIT team  the next year, as they had trouble replacing their guards but still doing well.

But then in 2018, they were runner up for the A 10 and finally made the Big Dance for the first time in 41 years. Jim Ferry was coach of the year in the Atlantic 10.  They were so happy to make the Dance, they gave North Carolina a good game, before the depth just wore them out, losing by 12.

Dude I so remember that game.  And the next year, when they finished in the top 3 of the A-10 and knocked off Ariizona 5-12 upset!  I remember CBS interviewed some delirious Dukes fans and some dude from Texas kept raving about how much he hated Arizona and it felt so good to finally beat that team!

And this year, that team is so loaded with Isiah Mike, Mike Lewis and Spencer Littleson, as seniors. Who knows how deep they will go this year.

Yeah, I think I am applying to Duquesne.

LOL!! It's amazing how much more fun this board is when the team is doing fairly well, and the Scotchngars, and Irondukes1981s of the world are absent.

1/23/2016 1:44 pm  #4

LOL!! It's amazing how much more fun this board is when the team is doing fairly well, and the Scotchngars, and Irondukes1981s of the world are absent.

Is this necessary?  Ironduke81 over the years has given more to the University than you or just about any poster on this board. He had a beef with Amodio as many did. Harper would do well to reach out to him and restore the relationship with DU.

1/23/2016 2:00 pm  #5

Well said CLK and maybe that's what is so upsetting to those of us that take a different view.

1/23/2016 2:26 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

Is this necessary?  Ironduke81 over the years has given more to the University than you or just about any poster on this board. He had a beef with Amodio as many did. Harper would do well to reach out to him and restore the relationship with DU.

Amodio is gone. How about participating when the team has improved? Napa was a fierce critic the last few years. He didn't stay away when things got better, he's participating, and still giving his opinion, but he's obviously happy the team is doing better. That's what I'd like to see from them. Otherwise, it seems like they just wanted Ferry to fail, and I just can't accept that. I just hate when certain posters are negative 100% of the time, then disappear when things get better. Dome may be a bit of a "glass half empty" guy, but I like that he's here, mixing it up with those of us who are more optimistic.

1/23/2016 2:31 pm  #7

Thanks Duq81!!! I felt left out before. Seriously it's about the passion and lack of patience. 😇😇😇😇

1/23/2016 2:53 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Amodio is gone. How about participating when the team has improved? Napa was a fierce critic the last few years. He didn't stay away when things got better, he's participating, and still giving his opinion, but he's obviously happy the team is doing better. That's what I'd like to see from them. Otherwise, it seems like they just wanted Ferry to fail, and I just can't accept that. I just hate when certain posters are negative 100% of the time, then disappear when things get better. Dome may be a bit of a "glass half empty" guy, but I like that he's here, mixing it up with those of us who are more optimistic.

Still not necessary to bash someone who no longer posts here. Ironduke81 is a person I have gotten to know, and if you were treated by the University as he was (a guy who bled Red & Blue and put his money where his mouth was), you would have a different view also.

1/23/2016 2:57 pm  #9

Tejas BTW they are Catholics that participated in the annual march for life.

1/23/2016 2:59 pm  #10

The Dome wrote:

Thanks Duq81!!! I felt left out before. Seriously it's about the passion and lack of patience. 😇😇😇😇

Dome, take everything with the proverbial grain of salt. I love debating on the board. We both are dying to see the program get back to where it used to be. I chose 18 wins, and most felt that was very optimistic. I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check. Keep winning the games we should, and maybe, if we can steal one or two of the tough games, we might end up very happy come March.

PS,
I'm not mad at the two guys I called out, I just want them to come back and get in the mix. It's more fun when you have a decent team. I just can't understand how you can suffer through the last 3 years (let alone most of the last 40), and not come around when a ray of hope peeks through the clouds.

1/23/2016 3:05 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Still not necessary to bash someone who no longer posts here. Ironduke81 is a person I have gotten to know, and if you were treated by the University as he was (a guy who bled Red & Blue and put his money where his mouth was), you would have a different view also.

I can understand that, but a new sheriff is in town, why not see if they are of a different stripe than the former.
I know these guys were very much in favor of a change in the athletic department. Well, the change has come. I would think they would be happy.

1/23/2016 3:06 pm  #12

The Dome wrote:

Tejas BTW they are Catholics that participated in the annual march for life.

OMG, even better

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/23/2016 5:41 pm  #13

I am an old fan, one who because of where I live and uncontrollable issues has not seen a game in Palumbo since 2008. I got to spend three great days at the Gulf Coast Classic and see RAY Goss again, and meet the Athletic Director and other staff, coaches And players. I was treated so well by them and the players family and saw other Duquesne fans show up, one who last saw Duquesne in 1958 when he graduated. After 2 wins and only one bad half, Pepperdine, many were saying Duquesne was the best team in the tournament.

I am enjoying this year so much and won't complain or insult any posters for the thoughts they post, just remember this could be the start of the new " Good old days" or maybe not, but it's just a game and we are just fans. And I add, really loyal ones who care, Lets Go Dukes

A diehard fan since 1961

1/24/2016 2:38 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I will admit, I didn't think Ferry could build an A-10 competitive team, but somehow he has the core of underclassmen playing and if they get an upset win or two, then this is a fairly good season, and with these kids coming back next year Ferry just might be on to something.  Ferry also has them playing a nice mix of man D and zone this year and it looks a lot better than last year.  Hope they get out of the snow soon, I was stuck on that spot on the TP once myself, just not as long, (only a 3 hour stand still, but it seemed like forever)  Go Dukes.     

1/24/2016 8:41 am  #15

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I will admit, I didn't think Ferry could build an A-10 competitive team, but somehow he has the core of underclassmen playing and if they get an upset win or two, then this is a fairly good season, and with these kids coming back next year Ferry just might be on to something.  Ferry also has them playing a nice mix of man D and zone this year and it looks a lot better than last year.  Hope they get out of the snow soon, I was stuck on that spot on the TP once myself, just not as long, (only a 3 hour stand still, but it seemed like forever)  Go Dukes.     

At least the bus has a toilet (hope they had enough toilet paper). What do you do if you're in a car, and have to do number 2?

1/24/2016 10:04 am  #16

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

At least the bus has a toilet (hope they had enough toilet paper). What do you do if you're in a car, and have to do number 2?

Hold it!

A diehard fan since 1961

1/24/2016 11:05 am  #17

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Hold it!

Not if you ate some chili dogs from Wawa, or Sheetz before you got on the road.

1/24/2016 12:18 pm  #18

Let's see if we can make Sports Center for making the NIT or NCAA.

1/24/2016 12:47 pm  #19

It takes a special type of stupid to try to drive back through the snowstorm of the century. If the Duquesne administration said not to pay for hotel rooms, then they better thank God there wasn't an accident. If George Mason didn't offer accommodations, then shame on them. Hard to believe this is a destination for higher learning when stupidity reigned in a common sense situation.. 

Last edited by rittersdiner (1/24/2016 12:51 pm)

1/24/2016 1:22 pm  #20

rittersdiner wrote:

It takes a special type of stupid to try to drive back through the snowstorm of the century. If the Duquesne administration said not to pay for hotel rooms, then they better thank God there wasn't an accident. If George Mason didn't offer accommodations, then shame on them. Hard to believe this is a destination for higher learning when stupidity reigned in a common sense situation.. 

Game should have been moved to Palumbo. A10 botched this.

1/24/2016 1:30 pm  #21

WEB wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Game should have been moved to Palumbo. A10 botched this.

Nonsense. You don't give up a home game. They could have just rescheduled it, like many other teams did.

1/24/2016 1:32 pm  #22

rittersdiner wrote:

Eh, we've all made stupid decisions about beating weather.  I would be willing to bet that motel rooms were already getting scarce on the route before they even finished playing the Mason game. Also, you are talking what, "Hi, need 10 - 15 rooms.  I am sure you can accommodate that!"  If anything, I think the exposure and the good publicity over the behavior of the team and the staff more than makes  up for this!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/24/2016 1:33 pm  #23

WEB STOP with the ridiculous statement the game should have been moved. And Ritters thank you since I'm the class half empty guy I didn't want to take the pot shot but seriously it was already snowing before you left and under optimal conditions in a bus it's around 5 hours. Obviously no one could foresee this but why roll the dice.

1/24/2016 7:07 pm  #24

Tejas_Duke wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Eh, we've all made stupid decisions about beating weather.  I would be willing to bet that motel rooms were already getting scarce on the route before they even finished playing the Mason game. Also, you are talking what, "Hi, need 10 - 15 rooms.  I am sure you can accommodate that!"  If anything, I think the exposure and the good publicity over the behavior of the team and the staff more than makes  up for this!

This was the proverbial "silk purse made from a sow's ear".

1/24/2016 9:33 pm  #25

I guess the drivers of the middle school kids who  were on their way home to Iowa, the kids who went to the DC March For Life, the Temple Gymnast squad and the six miles of backed-up nameless others who were "victim" to the semi's that jack-knifed were all special kinds of stupid.  Any suggestion of the administration's and George Mason's lack of caring and compassion for the folks on the bus is insulting, if not outright inane. That type of criticism about stupidity and lack of common sense should be directed to and at one group only-the elected officials in Harrisburg.      

Board footera