Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2016 1:22 am  #1

Richmond! The season, and maybe Ferry's tenure will be at stake here

Despite the losing of the last few weeks, the Dukes still are in position to meet our modest expectations of 17-18 wins. That will change if they don't beat Richmond. The UMass game took them off the track, and despite playing decently on the road, they haven't been able to offset that bad loss, with an unexpected win. Richmond is their last chance. I've had this marked as a loss all season, as Richmond has pretty much owned us since they joined the league. This must change! Win this game, and a win over Fordham becomes much more likely. With that, we might be able to get into a postseason tourney. Small steps, but badly needed at this point. A loss, and I could see us losing out. Ferry won't be fired this year, but his seat would be blazing going into next season if we end up with a losing record after being 8 games over .500 with a month to go. If this team has any heart at all, they will leave it all on the floor this Saturday, especially our seniors. We will see!

Congrats to the women. An NCAA bid is now surely locked up, as Bona had a horrible loss tonight, that pretty much means they have no chance to earn the league's second at large bid over the Dukes, or GW, even if they beat us in Olean.

2/25/2016 1:53 am  #2

Re: Richmond! The season, and maybe Ferry's tenure will be at stake here

Richmond joined the A10 for the 2001-02 season. since then, we are 1-17 against them. The only win came in Ron's last year. Ferry is 0-4, Ron was 1-5, and Nee was 0-8. That is beyond pathetic, especially against a team that is not really a league power.

2/25/2016 3:27 am  #3

Dukes have not matched up well vs patient ball control teams.  Mooney's teams personify his philosophy of controlling tempo, taking care of the ball and sacrificing the hurry-up all-out tempo style that seems to have been the Duquesne mantra over the past 9 years or so.
A win here would be a welcome statement toward solidifying what Ferry believes is his superior style of play.

Last edited by Hilltopper (2/25/2016 3:28 am)

2/25/2016 8:34 am  #4

1.  Mooney is a better coach than Ferry - always has been
2.  Whether Ferry wins or not, he isn't going anywhere.  The lame duck President who we never see at games (did you see the Bonnies President in the stands last night cheering...and God Bless her she has cancer also - reminds me of how Father Mac was so well loved) saw to that.
3.  He will be here definitely next year and most likely the year after that will be his last.  If he can't win this year with what many considered two of the strongest guards in the A-10 he can't coach well enough to improve who is left to take their spots.
4. Same old Duquesne

2/25/2016 9:13 am  #5

FAM wrote:

2.  Whether Ferry wins or not, he isn't going anywhere.  The lame duck President who we never see at games (did you see the Bonnies President in the stands last night cheering...and God Bless her she has cancer also - reminds me of how Father Mac was so well loved) saw to that.
3.  He will be here definitely next year and most likely the year after that will be his last.  If he can't win this year with what many considered two of the strongest guards in the A-10 he can't coach well enough to improve who is left to take their spots.
4. Same old Duquesne

That lame duck prezi is out of here in a couple month. New President...New AD...New Head coach....something would change then right?!?!?!?

Roll Dukes Roll

2/25/2016 9:32 am  #6

FAM wrote:

4. Same old Duquesne

This goes way beyond Mooney. This started under Beilein, continued under Wainwright, and continues under Mooney. Even Ron couldn't do much against Richmond. It's as bad as our record vs Pitt, but at least most of those Pitt teams were highly regarded. Even bad Richmond teams have had their way with us. I've never seen anything like it.

2/25/2016 9:39 am  #7

duq81 wrote:

Despite the losing of the last few weeks, the Dukes still are in position to meet our modest expectations of 17-18 wins. That will change if they don't beat Richmond. The UMass game took them off the track, and despite playing decently on the road, they haven't been able to offset that bad loss, with an unexpected win. Richmond is their last chance. I've had this marked as a loss all season, as Richmond has pretty much owned us since they joined the league. This must change! Win this game, and a win over Fordham becomes much more likely. With that, we might be able to get into a postseason tourney. Small steps, but badly needed at this point. A loss, and I could see us losing out. Ferry won't be fired this year, but his seat would be blazing going into next season if we end up with a losing record after being 8 games over .500 with a month to go. If this team has any heart at all, they will leave it all on the floor this Saturday, especially our seniors. We will see!

Congrats to the women. An NCAA bid is now surely locked up, as Bona had a horrible loss tonight, that pretty much means they have no chance to earn the league's second at large bid over the Dukes, or GW, even if they beat us in Olean.

duq81 I agree 100%.  With two senior guards this was the year to win and move up in the League.  The Dukes must beat Richmond and Fordham and win at least one tourney game.  It is unbelievable that this team could be looking at a losing season and a near bottom finish in the League. That would be a monumental pathetic collapse.   

2/25/2016 1:08 pm  #8

Here is what is SAD...it may be better for the Dukes to lose those games instead of winning them.  We aren't going to a tournament...again.  I certainly DON'T want to lose any games, but I perceive that if we have 16 wins, Ferry is not going to accept the record is due to the OOC beginning of the year cupcakes.  He will go on about what a good year it was, and then next year, if things are worse, he will talk about how the previous year ended up.  The only way he will wake up is if the AD gives him an ultimatum to win or be gone, or if we have an even or losing record.  I mean everything is relative.  The last three years were terrible!  It doesn't take much to improve from that.  But again, I don't ever want to lose.  Gee, would losing the next two or three games be "GOOD LOSSES!". just kidding sports fans.

Last edited by FAM (2/25/2016 1:09 pm)

2/25/2016 1:25 pm  #9

FAM wrote:

Here is what is SAD...it may be better for the Dukes to lose those games instead of winning them. We aren't going to a tournament...again. I certainly DON'T want to lose any games, but I perceive that if we have 16 wins, Ferry is not going to accept the record is due to the OOC beginning of the year cupcakes. He will go on about what a good year it was, and then next year, if things are worse, he will talk about how the previous year ended up. The only way he will wake up is if the AD gives him an ultimatum to win or be gone, or if we have an even or losing record. I mean everything is relative. The last three years were terrible! It doesn't take much to improve from that. But again, I don't ever want to lose. Gee, would losing the next two or three games be "GOOD LOSSES!". just kidding sports fans.

The ooc cupcakes were much worse last year, and we choked on them, so the ooc performance was indeed better this year. That said, 16 wins won't cut it. 17 is the minimum. If we win 17, and go to the CBI, or Vegas 16, I'll be willing to look towards next year with an open mind. Regardless, the team can't slide backwards next year. If we win Saturday, and end up with 17-18 wins, I'll expect to at least be in the same area next year, with a big push forward in 2017-18. 12 or 13 wins next year is unacceptable under any circumstances, and would be even if we somehow went on a run, and ended up with 20 wins. The guards will be less experienced next year, but will be more talented, and the rest of the team will have another year under their belts. Let's come out and take care of business against Richmond, and we can put next year on the back burner for now.

2/25/2016 1:33 pm  #10

Last season's OOC performance set such a low bar that not even the world champion limbo dancer could squeeze under it. 

And this year's Richmond team is not the same team that has been throttling us since entering the league. They are currently at RPI 130 and have a loss at home against George Mason. Their fans are talking about this being their worst defensive team in memory. This is a game on our court against a team that we should be able to take care of. A win would be taking care of business, not elevating a program.

2/25/2016 3:38 pm  #11

rosceaux wrote:

Last season's OOC performance set such a low bar that not even the world champion limbo dancer could squeeze under it. 

And this year's Richmond team is not the same team that has been throttling us since entering the league. They are currently at RPI 130 and have a loss at home against George Mason. Their fans are talking about this being their worst defensive team in memory. This is a game on our court against a team that we should be able to take care of. A win would be taking care of business, not elevating a program.

That's just the point. No one was really expecting the program to be elevated this season. Most just wanted us to get up out of the ditch we've been laying in. The fact that Richmond isn't good is exactly the reason why it's time to finally beat them. They've had more than a few less than great teams, including an 8-22 team that of course beat us. They've had some good teams, but it's not like they've been some juggernaut. We had more success against Xavier, Dayton, and Temple, all of whom have been better than Richmond. It's time to turn this around.

2/25/2016 4:55 pm  #12

1-17 against Richmond since they entered the A-10, how pathetic is that!!!  Anyway I saw some to the Bonnie game and I would ask this question, since Castro is thus far a major bust, when DC got 2 fouls why not put MM at the point and Steele at the 2?  MM would no doubt be a better option and you only need to do it for 3 or 4 minutes.  I don't know, was just wondering that as I was watching Fidel in action.  Of course another blown lead, but I never expected us to win anyway, so what is the point - indifference again setting in.  There is not enough fortitude and mental toughness on this team.  You have to hate to lose and we just don't have enough of that.  When I talked with a good buddy of mine today about the Dukes blowing leads he recalled an excellent point made by a major conference coach he knows, when you have a lead you have to "attack the rim" and "protect the rim".  Regrettably when I look back at this streak, especially at the start of it against Dayton, it appears to me we don't do enough of either.

2/25/2016 6:32 pm  #13

PistolPete wrote:

1-17 against Richmond since they entered the A-10, how pathetic is that!!!  Anyway I saw some to the Bonnie game and I would ask this question, since Castro is thus far a major bust, when DC got 2 fouls why not put MM at the point and Steele at the 2?  MM would no doubt be a better option and you only need to do it for 3 or 4 minutes.  I don't know, was just wondering that as I was watching Fidel in action.  Of course another blown lead, but I never expected us to win anyway, so what is the point - indifference again setting in.  There is not enough fortitude and mental toughness on this team.  You have to hate to lose and we just don't have enough of that.  When I talked with a good buddy of mine today about the Dukes blowing leads he recalled an excellent point made by a major conference coach he knows, when you have a lead you have to "attack the rim" and "protect the rim".  Regrettably when I look back at this streak, especially at the start of it against Dayton, it appears to me we don't do enough of either.

Some have questioned why Castro hasn't been used more to spell Colter. They have their answer.

2/25/2016 7:32 pm  #14

PistolPete wrote:

1.  Of course another blown lead, but I never expected us to win anyway, so what is the point - indifference again setting in.  .

My feelings for the last two weeks or so summed up perfectly. After blowing two leads of 12 points, twice in the same game at Dayton, I don't expect any different. Funny enough last week I was watching the UMASS game when my wife came home from work, and they were up 12, She asked how they were doing and I aid, "Up 12 in the second half, which means they will probably lose."

I just stare at my computer screen in sullen joyless silence, as this season slips away into another "Duquesne losing season" added to that wretched pile that has made up the majority of the lives of the posters here.  I don't even get excited about the good plays or the small leads because I know for a fact that the other team will play better and they will lose. 

I just can't believe it was only four weeks ago, we had all that great publicity from the Turnpike incident and many of us had hope in our hearts for something magical, from a (very unrealistic) vision of the Bubble to a more realistic NIT or an even more grounded and down to earth  tertiary tournament and now even those watered down hopes are probably dashed.

And Jim Ferry stays in a not so exclusive club, DU Coaches who have never had (nor will have) even a .500 season!

Dukes basketball, It utterly kills off hope!  Should be the official motto of the team.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (2/25/2016 7:34 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/25/2016 8:26 pm  #15

81 I agree with just about everything in this thread but for a slight problem with the fact that had Castro had more time in the OOC, maybe just maybe he is better prepared. I think what most of us have called for is a better rotation. Besides as Pistol said and I commented on in another thread Steel and or Jackson who have been getting time would have been preferable with Micah at the point.
This is just another one of the Ferry quirks Castro had not played since the LaSalle game so why last night.

2/25/2016 8:34 pm  #16

Here's a stat I would like to throw out for discussion. If you had a player shooting 29% from 3 for the league schedule would you tolerate 6/7 3's per game from that player without some form of discussion.

I don't want to call out a individual but I'm pointing more to a systemic problem.

2/25/2016 8:59 pm  #17

Prez stopped going when GA made that "lateral" move;)

2/25/2016 9:42 pm  #18

The Dome wrote:

81 I agree with just about everything in this thread but for a slight problem with the fact that had Castro had more time in the OOC, maybe just maybe he is better prepared. I think what most of us have called for is a better rotation. Besides as Pistol said and I commented on in another thread Steel and or Jackson who have been getting time would have been preferable with Micah at the point.
This is just another one of the Ferry quirks Castro had not played since the LaSalle game so why last night.

It's not like they were blowing teams out ooc. They needed to win those games, and Castro wasn't helping. We could have lost both the RMU, and SF games fooling around with Castro, and the season would have been over in December. Castro is looking like a flop of Les Cason proportions. (Google Les Cason if you don't know the story).

2/25/2016 10:32 pm  #19

81 it didn't have to be Castro that's our point. It could have been Steel or Jackson or even James. Colter has not shot the ball that well all year. The 29% in league play should should have him under severe constraint.

2/26/2016 12:21 am  #20

The Dome wrote:

81 it didn't have to be Castro that's our point. It could have been Steel or Jackson or even James. Colter has not shot the ball that well all year. The 29% in league play should should have him under severe constraint.

None of them can run the point. We'd be about 11-17 if the team had given any of them major minutes at the point. That's why they went out and got Smith, and Lewis. Mason, and Colter play all the time because they're all we've got.

2/26/2016 7:56 am  #21

We will just have to agree to disagree. Micah is a superior passer and could easily run the point. Look at the UMass game when Colter sat with fouls and Steel came in and played the shooting guard position. Micah has more assists and significantly less turnovers.

2/26/2016 9:31 am  #22

Temple coach John Chaney once characterized his outstanding pg (Pepe Sanchez) as "Jesus Christ like," for his ability to distribute.  Mason is the distributor on this team, taking nothing away from Colter.  Unfortunately, this team is stuck without a competent 3rd combo guard, which has resulted in a 5 game push from wins to losses, this year.  The kerfuffle of White, Binney, Stevens, Castro and especially Ridenour left the cupboard here bare and may just be the "death" of Ferry.  

2/26/2016 10:07 am  #23

Hilltopper wrote:

kerfuffle  

nice

2/26/2016 10:17 am  #24

lively post, thanks all. Not a kidding question, will Duquesne win another game this year? And who will they beat?

A diehard fan since 1961

2/26/2016 10:48 am  #25

Richmond or Fordham in the "Bob Prince's rule of hidden vigorish" or the "blind squirrel" theorem 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera