Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2016 11:00 am  #26

Re: Richmond! The season, and maybe Ferry's tenure will be at stake here

Fordham
Hilltopper well stated.

Last edited by The Dome (2/26/2016 11:01 am)

2/26/2016 1:42 pm  #27

I think it will be either both, or neither. That's why tomorrow is so important. If they win tomorrow, this still has a chance to end up being a good season. If not, it will be a disaster.

2/26/2016 4:50 pm  #28

Man you are right about that Duq81!!!  My fear is the record against the Spiders doesn't exactly instill any confidence - quite the contrary.  Oh well, we'll see soon enough.  What a sinkhole predicament this team is in.

2/26/2016 5:30 pm  #29

PistolPete wrote:

Man you are right about that Duq81!!!  My fear is the record against the Spiders doesn't exactly instill any confidence - quite the contrary.  Oh well, we'll see soon enough.  What a sinkhole predicament this team is in.

Well, if you're going to climb higher, slaying a personal dragon is a very good start.

2/26/2016 10:13 pm  #30

duq81 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Well, if you're going to climb higher, slaying a personal dragon is a very good start.

Just an over all observation, about this whole conversation.  The real strength of this team is the Bigs, yet everyone is only talking about the perimeter game?  The Dukes have held a lead going into the second half, every game,  only when they are playing Big, but then falter in the late minutes with Ferry's predictable small lineup? At that point, the wheels fall off.   First, this is not a fast-pace, transition team, ( though Ferry thinks so.) Every opponent beats us down the court on our transitions all season,( and it mostly leads to turnovers.)  Last 2 minutes of these games do not look coherent and we just have mostly a complete breakdown.  It's too easy to double up on 2 senior shooting guards the last 2 minutes and every team seems to know it, (and it's beginning to look like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day at the end of every game).  It's not about this player, or that player,, IT'S a coaching decision, and it's Ferry's fault.  He simple can't coach.  I would not play both senior guards more than 30 minutes (you will get more out of them).  I would however keep playing Big half court ball, all game, to the very end.  I would work the ball into the paint  first, and often, to kick it  out to the guards for open shots that the penetration caused, (This would then have the bigs in place for the rebounds!!)  This is what you do when you have the biggest guys on the court.  If you are winning when your Bigs are on the court (every game) then why in the world do you go away from it. Just plan nuts. You can center the game around  Micah and Coulter 40 minutes a game over and over and not win.  I said after the Robert Morris game, that they did us a favor! They covered Micah and Coulter and dared us to play the whole team to win, but Ferry didn't wake up.  Not the kids fault, it's not the Next Level in coaching. This team , with a real coach, could have easily been 20 wins.       

2/27/2016 6:43 am  #31

NAPA

Your last sentence is as they say SAD, but true.  "This team, with a real coach, could have easily been 20 wins."

2/27/2016 11:35 am  #32

This team needs a win today, I hope they can get it.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/27/2016 12:55 pm  #33

The students are on Spring Break this week.  So don't expect to see any student support tonight or for Fordham.  Not that they would show up anyhow. However if you go to the Penguin's game you get in free by showing your stub

Last edited by CLK (2/27/2016 12:57 pm)

2/27/2016 2:59 pm  #34

Phildog,
We will get a win tonight.  There may be only 987 folks to see it, but even Ferry can't screw this up against this team at home.  Put a "W" in the books.

2/27/2016 3:30 pm  #35

FAM wrote:

NAPA

Your last sentence is as they say SAD, but true.  "This team, with a real coach, could have easily been 20 wins."

These players are very good, but I have yet to see Ferry out coach his opponent.  Play a balanced game and let's see some second half adjustments on our side instead of the other team constantly making noticeable adjustment to take the lead and keep it.  It comes down to coaching.  Ferry said, they could lose a lot of games, but this is still a good team, he's right, just not a good coach.      

2/27/2016 6:42 pm  #36

Pathetic defense by the Dukes in the first half.

2/27/2016 7:00 pm  #37

12 turnovers.  Richmond appears to be a step faster though not a great rebounding team. I suspect the game is over. Second half could be basket trading.

2/27/2016 7:55 pm  #38

Booooooooooooooo!

2/27/2016 7:56 pm  #39

Sorry Phildog for thinking we would win and that Ferry couldn't screw this up. My apology.

2/27/2016 7:57 pm  #40

Complain slapped again by Richmond.  Pathetic.

2/27/2016 8:02 pm  #41

You know, we've had some horrific collapses before. Three times under Rice, the 10/40 season, and the year of the 11 game winning streak, but this leaves them all in the dust.

2/27/2016 8:07 pm  #42

Anyone go to the game tonight and hear the attendance. I decided not to go.

2/27/2016 8:08 pm  #43

I have said this before, you can't recruit average talent, and be saddled with below average coaching and expect the team to somehow win in the League.   

2/27/2016 8:08 pm  #44

You know, just once I'd like to have a coach where opponents would comment on how well we're coached, and what a smart team we are. Instead, we always get guys who tell us that we're gonna go up-tempo, and run to glory. Can we finally take a different approach? I'd even go for a defense first guy.

2/27/2016 8:09 pm  #45

duq81 wrote:

You know, we've had some horrific collapses before. Three times under Rice, the 10/40 season, and the year of the 11 game winning streak, but this leaves them all in the dust.

Just Pathetic.

2/27/2016 8:11 pm  #46

CLK, 81, you've got it right!!  They are bad and this is quite pathetic.  See my post on Tejas thread as well.  Embarrassing.  Harper do you see the (profanity) storm you just sailed into!!!  As GHog would say, "same old Duquesne"!!  Why don't they just drop this stink bomb of a program and quit pretending that we can compete when we obviously can't, don't want too and could care less as a University.  If the school leadership had any sense of school pride they tell Harper to can the whole athletic department and start over with a new BBall staff and a fresh start from the ground up.  But WE ARE DUQUESNE and we DON'T CARE ABOUT MEN'S BASKETBALL!!!

2/27/2016 8:15 pm  #47

I am now officially on board with whoever recently posted that he somewhat wants to see them lose out to see if anything happens.  Why not??!!!  Let's go RAMS!!  Sorry, can't help myself.

2/27/2016 8:21 pm  #48

Players are probably starting to lose interest.  They will work hard but I'm not sure they care.  Mason and Colter thinking about their health and overseas pro ball.  Balance of team thinking about  what they have  to do for the balance of their time at DU for a shot at pro ball.  Best thing would be to lose out and finish 15-17. That would give Harper and Gormley a good idea what they have with Ferry as coach.  If they beat Fordham and get lucking and win one in the tournament that creates a murky situation regarding Ferry.

2/27/2016 8:28 pm  #49

The guy's been here four years, he has two players.  And they're gone.  Burn it down.  Eat all the transfers and a salary.  But who would come to Duquesne; who could live on nearly a half-million a year in Pittsburgh?    
C'mon, the talent's thin, the coach is out of his depth, the program sucks.   If even the students see this, old Civic Arena guys like me have to recognize it, too.   Sorry.  Never a fire-the-guy type, but this coach isn't going to get it done.  

2/27/2016 8:32 pm  #50

Maybe if we all email the AD he will listen, unlike the last guy who listened to no one.

Board footera