Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/29/2016 12:31 pm  #1

Everhart Interview

Everhart was interviewed by TribLIVE Radio. It started with questions about WVU but was asked about Duquesne and defends himself.

Here is a link to the Pod Cast     http://files.triblive.com/podcasts/sportstalk/229WVU16.mp3

Here are some highlights:Everhart on leaving Duquesne: "I've always felt: if you want to fire me, fire me. But the way it was handled was very poor."

Everhart on leaving Duquesne: "It was reported that we were in danger of being on academic probation. It was a bold-faced lie."

Everhart: "I never had a problem with leaving (Duquesne). But when you lie about things that never happened, it kind of sticks in my craw."

Everhart on Duquesne: "The fact of the matter is we graduated kids. We won more games than we lost. I'm proud of what we did there."

Everhart on Duquesne: "Those kids took advantage of their education. They did what we told them to do & we're very proud of those kids."

Last edited by CLK (2/29/2016 12:56 pm)

2/29/2016 12:48 pm  #2

Re: Everhart Interview

I am glad to see Ron being able to finally defend himself in the media.  The shameful way that DU let him go and subsequent attacks on his reputation speaks volumes about the former AD and President.  Amodio cuased significant harm and deeply disenfranchised may fans.  It is going to be a hard job for the new AD to revive life in the Program, but I am looking forward to a clean start with the new AD, and possible additional house cleaning at DU.  

Last edited by CLK (2/29/2016 12:52 pm)

2/29/2016 1:19 pm  #3

Ron nails it with his first comment. You can make an argument for firing Ron. Might not agree with it, or the timing (I thought a few more year were due, but his seat should have been getting warm). The handling of the firing was a joke.

2/29/2016 2:16 pm  #4

Want to bet that the new AD was told this information about RE!!!!!!!!!

2/29/2016 2:47 pm  #5

What is really sad is how badly Amodio has fouled the waters and then not only skates without being fired but actually comes out ahead of the game. Only in the world that is Duquesne Athletics could this happen. Don't know if any of you recall his showing up at the A-10 Media Day prior to the BB season hat in hand looking for a spot. UGH.

2/29/2016 3:06 pm  #6

I thought I would do a little research on the NCAA APR rule.  The Academic Progress Rate (APR) is a term-by-term measure of eligibility and retention for Division I student-athletes that was developed as an early indicator of eventual graduation rates.  Originally, if a program's four-year average APR fell below 925, that would trigger sanctions like scholarship losses, and a four-year APR of 900 or lower triggered "historical penalties" like postseason bans.

NCAA college presidents met in Indianapolis in August 2011 to discuss a reform on the APR because of the poor academic performance by student athletes. The NCAA Board of Directors voted to ban Division I athletic teams from postseason play if their four-year academic progress rate failed to meet 930.The new policy took effect in the 2012-13 academic year; however institutions will have a period of 3 years to align their APR with the new standard
The APR requirements by year are:

2012-13 postseason: 900 four-year average or 930 average over most recent two years
2013-14 postseason: 930 four-year average or 940 average over most recent two years
2015-16 postseason and beyond: 930 four-year averageCurrently, the APR benchmark for postseason play is 900 so this is a significant increase and could result in serious consequences for some institutions that fail to improve their APR.

The APR for Ron's final 4 years (going backwards) were 956, 960, 912, 906.  His 4 year average was 933 which was well above the 900 4-year average rule when he was there.  His most recent two year average was 958 which was also above the required two year average of 930. 

The most recent year available for Ferry is the 2013 - 2014 year.  His most recent two year average is 946, and the combo of coaches last 4-year average is 950. 

Bottom line is that when Ron left DU was not in violation, and his APR was actually hire than the last two years under Ferry.  I can understand why the quotes in the articles about his APR made him pissed off.

https://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

Last edited by CLK (2/29/2016 3:12 pm)

2/29/2016 3:08 pm  #7

As I said years ago It was not hiring Mark Prosser and hiring Rodney Crawford that started the brick by brick building that Amodio used to fire him. The rest is BS and Smoke and Mirrors crap!

2/29/2016 3:55 pm  #8

How ironic, Rodney Crawford comes to town this Wednesday, a former player of Huggs, assistant of Ron's and now assistant at Fordham for another Mountaineer assistant now turned HC.  Scotch's reference to Mark Prosser was the guy Ron referred to as someone GA wanted Ron to hire and Ron refused.  Of course GA was well acquainted with Prosser family from his X days prior to DU.  

Glad to hear he's happy back home in WVA.

2/29/2016 5:56 pm  #9

Look at the program that Ron is a great part of and the shape the one he left is in, now Powell leaves before season ends, kicked off or not, he is gone.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/29/2016 5:56 pm  #10

Where is Prosser now?

2/29/2016 6:14 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

Where is Prosser now?

He's at Winthrop; associate head coach.

2/29/2016 6:26 pm  #12

Horrible treatment.  But then again almost all of us agreed it was horrible treatment  at the time.  Nice for GA and Charlie to get in stuck to them by RE!

2/29/2016 6:38 pm  #13

At Winthrop as associate head coach.  

Winthrop is 21-8

2/29/2016 7:09 pm  #14

This makes me miss Ron.  He had such a great personality.  Let's hope our new AD and Ferry (or someone else) can turn this continually sinking ship around.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/29/2016 7:31 pm  #15

Same old Duquesne

2/29/2016 7:48 pm  #16

Ron out-coached lots of  teams, and did more with less.  The first year, with the shooting left him with less than a team, then at the start of conf. play that year  he takes all 10 players and plays a chaotic 10-40 and wins the first 4 conf. games against better opponents, then goes on to win coach of the year 3 years later ,(voted by the other coaches in the league)  He had his faults, but we were better then than now. 

2/29/2016 8:45 pm  #17

Econ69 wrote:

At Winthrop as associate head coach.  

Winthrop is 21-8

So in other words, both guys are in better places than Duquesne now. That's almost funny. Maybe Prosser will be our next coach, that would be hilarious.

I actually can see how that situation could have led to bad blood. Prosser is probably a good coach, and of course, his dad was from here, and had the Xavier ties. He may indeed be a high quality coach. That said, I can understand 100% Ron's point of view. He's the head coach, and he ought to be able to choose his own staff. Plus the idea of having a guy with strong ties to the AD on your staff would be a bit unnerving.

Last edited by duq81 (2/29/2016 8:49 pm)

2/29/2016 8:55 pm  #18

2/29/2016 10:28 pm  #19

Thanks for finding that article on Mark Prosser, duq81. I always had the highest respect for Skip, and Mark appears to be chip off the old block.

Scotchngars can shed more light on this, but the working relationship between Ron and GA was pretty well shot at the time of GA's "suggestion" to hire Mark. Mark was certainly closer to GA, and Ron viewed this as nothing but a plant by GA to report on Ron. Regardless of the qualifications of young Prosser, there was no way that Ron could let that happen. So the rift between the two became irreparable.

Reading that article, who knows if Mark would have even accepted the position with Ron.  And I do believe that if Ron had the opportunity to work for a guy like Dave Harper, a boss that would have supported and helped Ron thru his shortcomings instead of the adversarial management style of GA, the basketball program would have been in very good shape today.

2/29/2016 10:37 pm  #20

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Thanks for finding that article on Mark Prosser, duq81. I always had the highest respect for Skip, and Mark appears to be chip off the old block.

Scotchngars can shed more light on this, but the working relationship between Ron and GA was pretty well shot at the time of GA's "suggestion" to hire Mark. Mark was certainly closer to GA, and Ron viewed this as nothing but a plant by GA to report on Ron. Regardless of the qualifications of young Prosser, there was no way that Ron could let that happen. So the rift between the two became irreparable.

Reading that article, who knows if Mark would have even accepted the position with Ron. And I do believe that if Ron had the opportunity to work for a guy like Dave Harper, a boss that would have supported and helped Ron thru his shortcomings instead of the adversarial management style of GA, the basketball program would have been in very good shape today.

Mark Prosser probably would be an asset worth having, but not under those circumstances. Considering the fact that no one is going to want to come here, Prosser might be on our radar a year from now. Looks like a rising star. Pittsburgh connections, and has worked under some very good coaches. I wouldn't have a problem with his boss coming here either.

2/29/2016 10:44 pm  #21

I think that in order to change the culture I would look at a assistant from a top level program who maybe looking for a shot. It would have to be a younger guy. Problem is that the  moniker of "Graveyard of Coaches" would be even more firmly entrenched.

2/29/2016 11:25 pm  #22

The Dome wrote:

I think that in order to change the culture I would look at a assistant from a top level program who maybe looking for a shot. It would have to be a younger guy. Problem is that the moniker of "Graveyard of Coaches" would be even more firmly entrenched.

A  guy from a top level program may not want to come here. Remember John Groce? We might be better off with a guy coming from a successful, but slightly lower level program, who has learned to do more with less. We have gone out and hired an outside assistant only once in the program's history. That was John Carroll, who did a better job than all of the head guys we've brought in other than Ron, and he was sabotaged by Brian Colleary.

2/29/2016 11:52 pm  #23

duq81 wrote:

[. We have gone out and hired an outside assistant only once in the program's history. That was John Carroll, who did a better job than all of the head guys we've brought in other than Ron, and he was sabotaged by Brian Colleary.

Wow and Ron was sabotaged by HIS AD!  Wow, Duquesne Hooops is a regular little Game of Thrones isn't it?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/01/2016 12:43 am  #24

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

[. We have gone out and hired an outside assistant only once in the program's history. That was John Carroll, who did a better job than all of the head guys we've brought in other than Ron, and he was sabotaged by Brian Colleary.

Wow and Ron was sabotaged by HIS AD!  Wow, Duquesne Hooops is a regular little Game of Thrones isn't it?

(Knife Stab)  "The Administration sends their regards."  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/01/2016 6:30 am  #25

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

It is known!!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera