Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/29/2016 5:32 pm  #1

Powell Transferring

Ty Sean Powell ‏@tyseanpowell  I would like to thank the Duquesne Basketball Program for allowing me to play college basketball but for personal reasons I am transferring

Last edited by CLK (2/29/2016 5:36 pm)

2/29/2016 5:38 pm  #2

Re: Powell Transferring

Well there's why the offers continue. I'd be surprised if one more doesn't join him.

2/29/2016 5:45 pm  #3

Shouldn't let him dress for the Fordham, St. Joes and ANY post season games -  While he DOES have the right to transfer - could have at least held off the announcement until after the season.

2/29/2016 5:46 pm  #4

WashPaRick wrote:

Well there's why the offers continue. I'd be surprised if one more doesn't join him.

Can't say I saw this one coming, although he seemed to have had been in the dog house several times.  Got to wonder if this was mutual  Either way, this is a big blow to this Program.  It will be interesting to see which school gets him.  I remember when Winters said he wanted to be close to his family. 

Last edited by CLK (2/29/2016 5:50 pm)

2/29/2016 5:48 pm  #5

SkepticAl wrote:

Shouldn't let him dress for the Fordham, St. Joes and ANY post season games -  While he DOES have the right to transfer - could have at least held off the announcement until after the season.

I would doubt that he is even still on the team.

2/29/2016 5:50 pm  #6

As the old saying goes, "Somethings rotten in Denmark "

A diehard fan since 1961

2/29/2016 5:59 pm  #7

This one reeks - announcing before the season's come to a conclusion!  This aint mutual.  This is a kid teed off enough to both embarrass and say to hell with my teammates as well as my coaches.  
How is this sitting with Mr Harper and "his man?"

"

2/29/2016 6:11 pm  #8

2/29/2016 6:20 pm  #9

CLK wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Can't say I saw this one coming, although he seemed to have had been in the dog house several times.  Got to wonder if this was mutual  Either way, this is a big blow to this Program.  It will be interesting to see which school gets him.  I remember when Winters said he wanted to be close to his family. 

CLK, he wasn't just in the doghouse, he was suspended and missed games at least two times, maybe 3 times since he's been with Dukes. Maybe there was another suspension on the horizon and he said good-bye? 

2/29/2016 7:06 pm  #10

Might be another case of a player that wants to play on a winner.

2/29/2016 7:11 pm  #11

Rats jumping a sinking ship.

2/29/2016 7:29 pm  #12

This is a huge surprise!  Especially since I thought he would be a starter next year.  Well, we can guess all we want but until someone comes out with the facts, we won't know.  This IS a negative for the program.  He was/is one of the better players.  He is definitely one of the most athletic.  This will also affect the team as a whole.  I just hope Teflon Jim didn't use him as a scapegoat at practice or after a game.

2/29/2016 7:57 pm  #13

FAM wrote:

This is a huge surprise!  Especially since I thought he would be a starter next year.  Well, we can guess all we want but until someone comes out with the facts, we won't know.  This IS a negative for the program.  He was/is one of the better players.  He is definitely one of the most athletic.  This will also affect the team as a whole.  I just hope Teflon Jim didn't use him as a scapegoat at practice or after a game.

Ron got fired for TJ jumping off, Ferry should get the same treatment. And besides, Ferry is a proven loser, with no upside for keeping him.  Attendance is non-existent, and keeping him vs finding a winner will cost the University more than the buy-out.  Simple economics.  Ron did have sellouts in his 5 years and some post-season, Ferry will never. Ron wasn't everything, but Ferry is nothing. Get rid of him.

2/29/2016 8:41 pm  #14

Anyone who saw Ty's play on Saturday could see that he looked disinterested, made poor decisions, didn't defend, the worst possible body language on the floor, and had to be removed in favor of Nakye, never to return.  I said after the game that Ty was either sick, or just didn't want to play.  It was clear that something was wrong.

2/29/2016 8:58 pm  #15

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

CLK wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

CLK, he wasn't just in the doghouse, he was suspended and missed games at least two times, maybe 3 times since he's been with Dukes. Maybe there was another suspension on the horizon and he said good-bye? 

This wouldn't shock me.

2/29/2016 9:19 pm  #16

I always had a gut feeling that Ty wouldn't last four years here, but it's still disappointing to say the least. Kid had a high ceiling but had more than his share of issues. Isaiah mike better be ready to go next year

2/29/2016 9:29 pm  #17

Dukes2012 wrote:

I always had a gut feeling that Ty wouldn't last four years here, but it's still disappointing to say the least. Kid had a high ceiling but had more than his share of issues. Isaiah mike better be ready to go next year

Yep! Ferry will be coaching for his job next year.

2/29/2016 9:39 pm  #18

Ridehour had a lot to do with Duquesne getting engaged with Powell. I thought it was 50/50 after his departure that Powell would follow. Based on the current facts, and I agree with Levon totally, it's inexcusable Ferry even put him on the court.

I'm willing to bet Robinson still doesn't see the light of day.

Last edited by The Dome (2/29/2016 9:41 pm)

2/29/2016 10:12 pm  #19

Maybe Chico Harlan can do an in-depth interview with Ferry.

2/29/2016 10:34 pm  #20

rosceaux wrote:

Maybe Chico Harlan can do an in-depth interview with Ferry.

Ha!  I think Chico is still recovering from the Danny Nee one.

2/29/2016 10:40 pm  #21

The Dome wrote:

Ridehour had a lot to do with Duquesne getting engaged with Powell. I thought it was 50/50 after his departure that Powell would follow. Based on the current facts, and I agree with Levon totally, it's inexcusable Ferry even put him on the court.

I'm willing to bet Robinson still doesn't see the light of day.

It makes sense, Dome, that Powell will end up at Kent State with Des. Powell is young, only 19 now, so a redshirt year would really help him physically and perhaps help him mature.

2/29/2016 10:41 pm  #22

All other things equal, this is a total D**k move by Powell. Walking out on your commitment and your teammates with just a little bit of time left in the season.

In a perfect world, no coach worth his salt would take this guy after this.  "Hey kid you walked out on Duquesne before the season even ended!  How do I know you won't do that to us!  Keep walking!"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/29/2016 11:29 pm  #23

Tejas_Duke wrote:

All other things equal, this is a total D**k move by Powell. Walking out on your commitment and your teammates with just a little bit of time left in the season.

In a perfect world, no coach worth his salt would take this guy after this.  "Hey kid you walked out on Duquesne before the season even ended!  How do I know you won't do that to us!  Keep walking!"

It's strange timing for sure. It gives the illusion that something else is going on

3/01/2016 10:18 am  #24

Man this blows. It's like this program can never really take a step forward. This is definitely a huge step back for the program. Hope we can get a grad transfer forward or Juco guy that could step in right away to help replace his impact. He was our best big offensively scoring and passing. Don't see anyone on the current roster that can replace that, even with an offseason to develop. I thought Smith and a combo of guys could help make up some backcourt production but this is yet another hole in the roster going into next year.

3/01/2016 10:39 am  #25

Grad transfers, and jc guys are mostly worthless. Pitt's grad transfers are doing nothing, and the Gibbs kid at UConn has been a huge disappointment.

Board footera