Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2016 10:53 pm  #1

St Joe's

Dukes are a 13 1/2 point dog. That the biggest spread of any of the final day A-10 games. Considering the fact that St. Joe's is shooting for what could very well turn into a 4 way tie for the top spot. Does this game have a chance to rival what I think was Ferry's first visit there when we where getting trounced but came back to actually beat the spread.

3/04/2016 11:15 pm  #2

Re: St Joe's

The Dome wrote:

Dukes are a 13 1/2 point dog. That the biggest spread of any of the final day A-10 games. Considering the fact that St. Joe's is shooting for what could very well turn into a 4 way tie for the top spot. Does this game have a chance to rival what I think was Ferry's first visit there when we where getting trounced but came back to actually beat the spread.

Is this how far we've fallen? Can we beat the spread?

3/04/2016 11:24 pm  #3

That's a great question, Dome.  I'm assuming that you're referring to the game where the Dukes, after trailing by 32 at half, were losing 82-45, but then — unbelievably — outscored the Hawks 30-2 in the final five minutes to cut the final margin to a respectable 84-75.  That was really wild.  Granted it was mostly against the St. Joe's bench, but another minute or two and the Dukes might have pulled off the greatest come-from-behind victory in the history of college basketball. 

I had almost completely forgotten about that game until you mentioned it. 

If Ferry's current squad is capable of a last-minute flurry like that, I'm hoping they'll save it for Brooklyn! 

Last edited by IronDukes12 (3/04/2016 11:27 pm)

3/05/2016 8:41 am  #4

That was not a comeback in the truest definition. SJU still maintained a 30-plus point margin until the final four minutes. With SJU leading 82-50, Duquesne's (starters) outscored the Hawks' reserves (walk-ons), 25-2, during that stretch to provide the final margin.

Yes, there was a lot of pointing of fingers and gnashing of teeth in the betting community over that finish. But don't give the Dukes credit for anything valiant.

3/05/2016 10:01 am  #5

Pomeroy has the Dukes losing this one 89-73, giving the Dukes a 9% chance of winning.

Even if the Dukes win, they need some help to finish 10th (needing a UMass loss or a SLU win).

3/05/2016 10:23 am  #6

Ferry's stubbornness in utilizing the bench almost assures a loss. Lewis's total lack of offensive capability puts more pressure on the guards to score. Combine that also with the fact we get just about 0 offensive rebounds or second chance points.

3/05/2016 11:11 am  #7

The Dome wrote:

Ferry's stubbornness in utilizing the bench almost assures a loss. Lewis's total lack of offensive capability puts more pressure on the guards to score. Combine that also with the fact we get just about 0 offensive rebounds or second chance points.

Our offensive rebounding % is 28.0, placing us #231 in the country. Among players, statistically Robinson is our best O rebounder at 12.2%, followed by Sanders at 10.2, Powell at 9.3, Lewis 7.7 and James 7.3.

3/05/2016 2:45 pm  #8

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

. Among players, statistically Robinson is our best O rebounder at 12.2%, .

So of course in "Ferry World" he never plays!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/05/2016 5:54 pm  #9

Well, how bout that?

3/05/2016 5:57 pm  #10

Great effort by the Dukes.  Whoda thunk.  This game gives the Dukes a winning regular season, but was a crusher for SJU. The Dukes could still finish 10th.  Maybe a glimmer of hope.

Last edited by CLK (3/05/2016 5:59 pm)

3/05/2016 6:01 pm  #11

What a terrific effort by the Dukes.  This should give them some badly-needed confidence heading into Brooklyn.

GO DUKES!!!

3/05/2016 6:01 pm  #12

The Hawks lose in a shocker, pounded on the glass by Dukes, LG Double Double 14-14, Mason breaks records.......😉

A diehard fan since 1961

3/05/2016 6:05 pm  #13

Ya gotta love it!

3/05/2016 6:17 pm  #14

Who's next for an asswhoopin?

3/05/2016 6:22 pm  #15

WashPaRick wrote:

Who's next for an asswhoopin?

Somebody else who shoots 9 for 32 from three point land   Gill was a beast on the glass today.  Whatever he is drinking keep giving it to him!

3/05/2016 6:52 pm  #16

Duq is the 10 seed if:

1) SLU (@ home) beats the Bonnies, and UMass (@home) beats LaSalle 
2) Or a UMass loss

Otherwise they will be the 11 seed if UMass wins and SLU loses.   

3/05/2016 7:06 pm  #17

A sad state of affairs indeed.   Far as i'm concerned, the loss of Tysean Powell is 'insult to injury.'

3/05/2016 9:59 pm  #18

Pleasant surprise! Hopefully they can win a game or two in the tourney and send out Micah and DC in proper fashion. Those two deserve to go out on a high note

3/05/2016 10:00 pm  #19

Dukes vs La Salle in first round. No bye.

3/05/2016 10:04 pm  #20

Just makes you madder about the UMass, and Fordham games. Get those 2 expected wins, and it's a decent season. We'd be 18-13 going into Brooklyn, and probably lined up for some postseason action. Well, one thing about finishing 11th is we now get a winnable game in Brooklyn. Win that, and we can't finish under .500. Pull a big upset in game 2, and the heat under Ferry's seat would be turned down a notch.

3/05/2016 10:30 pm  #21

Even blind squirrels find nuts once in a while.

3/06/2016 1:26 am  #22

rittersdiner wrote:

Sad, but true, the Dukes led almost every game like this, then faded away the last 2 minutes. This games SJ couldn't hit a 3 to save itself. Statistically, it could have happened this way in a dozen games this season, just didn't fall our way.  Should not depend on luck to help win. Here, it clearly was a factor.   Hope next season is better, just don't see how.

3/06/2016 1:44 am  #23

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Our offensive rebounding % is 28.0, placing us #231 in the country. Among players, statistically Robinson is our best O rebounder at 12.2%, followed by Sanders at 10.2, Powell at 9.3, Lewis 7.7 and James 7.3.

Lewis is a defensive asset, lots of teams we faced were affected by his ability to fill the center, true, he needs to develop his ability to finish offensively to the hoop, but this season would have sucked worse without him.  There is more to  a team effort than being an offensive force, but I'd more that be happy if he comes in here next year with a better ability to force that ball  in the hoop for the effort it takes to get it to him.  If that can happen and a decent point guard comes in here, then we might have something.  Hope so.  

3/06/2016 12:09 pm  #24

rittersdiner wrote:

Can't you give these guys credit for not packing it in, but really playing a great game against a quality opponent?  Why do you even bother if you preach only gloom and doom?

Unlike some on this board I never saw these guys quit, even when things looked bleak.  Great job by the team!

3/06/2016 12:55 pm  #25

levon1975 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Can't you give these guys credit for not packing it in, but really playing a great game against a quality opponent? Why do you even bother if you preach only gloom and doom?

Unlike some on this board I never saw these guys quit, even when things looked bleak. Great job by the team!

great point. i will be the first to admit that i am not a ferry fan. however, you are 100% right. not once during that 8 game losing streak did that team quit. testament to micah and dc for keeping it together. this team has an assistant  coach and 2 seniors that have battled illness and they never made excuses. i really think dc and micah will be successful in whatever path they choose to follow after basketball and will represent the university very well.. 
who knows, maybe micach pulls an aaron jackson in brooklyn. stranger things have happened.  look at austin peay!!!!

Board footera