Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2016 10:14 am  #1

Man, this board can be amusing :-)

Everyone all doom and gloom and giving up on the season and now some people are actually talking about running the table in the A-10 tourney. 

Not me. None of this changes the fact that Jim Ferry is not a next-level coach and no amount of last second heroics can put any amount of lipstick on this pig of a season.

Not watching tomorrow, or the next day if they win.  I am done.

Of course the St.Joe's game was the first game I didn't watch.........................;-)   Hmmmmmmm

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2016 10:15 am  #2

Re: Man, this board can be amusing :-)

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Everyone all doom and gloom and giving up on the season and now some people are actually talking about running the table in the A-10 tourney. 

Not me. None of this changes the fact that Jim Ferry is not a next-level coach and no amount of last second heroics can put any amount of lipstick on this pig of a season.

Of course the St.Joe's game was the first game I didn't watch.........................;-)   Hmmmmmmm

So probably better not to watch.  I usually DVRit then watch it later if they win.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/08/2016 8:30 pm)

3/08/2016 12:21 pm  #3

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I don't think well run the table but I could see us putting a couple wins together, which I agree still wouldn't fix what could have been this season, but it would be something to feel a little better about. Just out of curiosity why are you done watching at this point? If your interested enough to post about the team still and follow them all they way through the grind of the season (which I know you did from your posts), why not just tune in and see what happens with these last few games these guys have together? The games are nationally televised so you can watch it for free and never leave the couch. I know we don't owe that to this coach but at least for the team, (seniors) they are probably still worth watching.

3/08/2016 12:47 pm  #4

Duques102 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I don't think well run the table but I could see us putting a couple wins together, which I agree still wouldn't fix what could have been this season, but it would be something to feel a little better about. Just out of curiosity why are you done watching at this point? If your interested enough to post about the team still and follow them all they way through the grind of the season (which I know you did from your posts), why not just tune in and see what happens with these last few games these guys have together? The games are nationally televised so you can watch it for free and never leave the couch. I know we don't owe that to this coach but at least for the team, (seniors) they are probably still worth watching.

go back and look at my posts during the second half of the Fordham game, and it will explain. also as I pointed out elsewhere, I get no joy from just sullenly staring at my computer, in mute joylessness, knowing that the small lead, or even make that the double digit lead will not hold up and THEY WILL LOSE!

I just can't take it anymore. Better things to do with my time.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2016 7:55 pm  #5

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

go back and look at my posts during the second half of the Fordham game, and it will explain. also as I pointed out elsewhere, I get no joy from just sullenly staring at my computer, in mute joylessness, knowing that the small lead, or even make that the double digit lead will not hold up and THEY WILL LOSE!

Can't right the ship, if Ferry is still on board a fifth year.  He has shown no real "Next Level" coaching,. We could win one or two here because the players are good enough, to surprise one or two teams, but reading the Dukes Press releases that Ferry took over a re-building program is getting under my skin. We won more games and often, and went to some post season before Ferry.. This is clearly a step back.  

3/08/2016 8:33 pm  #6

Well, Ron probably got fired at a good time for his legacy.  The cupboard was bare, and it was going to be a long season for him if he wasn't fired.

3/09/2016 8:41 am  #7

levon1975 wrote:

Well, Ron probably got fired at a good time for his legacy. The cupboard was bare, and it was going to be a long season for him if he wasn't fired.

Yea that really helped his legacy. 

Last edited by CLK (3/09/2016 8:43 am)

3/09/2016 9:56 am  #8

CLK wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Well, Ron probably got fired at a good time for his legacy. The cupboard was bare, and it was going to be a long season for him if he wasn't fired.

Yea that really helped his legacy. 

I think levon meant something more along the lines of getting fired when he did was good for people's perception of Ron's time here, which I totally agree with. In the off season Ron got fired, Their best player transferred, their two top recruits broke their commitment and committed to bigger schools (Donovan Jack to Penn State, Willie Moore to Oregon), and most of their other depth and seniors were graduating. Ron ended up looking much more like a guy who got shafted than someone who had the bottom fall out of his roster with no back up plan, which I think you could argue both ways for him. It's safe to say no matter if Ron stayed that next year or any other coach came in, that team was going to be really bad, with the next year's team not being much better having to start over. I honestly think for that reason if it had not happened that year, Ron probably would have gotten the axe over the course of the next two years because there would have been a major drop off from his past results. I don't think Ferry has done a great job or is the answer for this program to this point, but I can honestly say I believe Ron's fate was sealed in that offseason.

3/09/2016 10:13 am  #9

We can certainly disagree about this, but you guys are speculating about what would have happened which pisses many people off.  Heck Ron won with walk ons.  First understand that Moore and Jack only broke their commitment after Ron was fired. Moreover, he had Jackson (a 1,000 point scorer), & Jones back and he had some other real talent lined up. Ron, deserved more time based on his record here at Duquesne and the obstacles he overcame.  I guarantee you he would have done better than Ferry over the last four years (speculation on my part).  

3/09/2016 11:17 am  #10

I'm a Duquesne fan, not necessarily an RE lover or a JF hater, but I have to agree with CLK. RE started with very little talent and replenished it quickly. Also I remember Ray Goss saying RE knew a lot of people. I thought he was referring to recruiting contacts (high school coaches and the like).

3/09/2016 11:37 am  #11

NapaDuke wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Can't right the ship, if Ferry is still on board a fifth year.  He has shown no real "Next Level" coaching,. We could win one or two here because the players are good enough, to surprise one or two teams, but reading the Dukes Press releases that Ferry took over a re-building program is getting under my skin. We won more games and often, and went to some post season before Ferry.. This is clearly a step back.  

I prefer the Dukes lose so Ferry doesn't have a .500 season so that he can say they are heading in the right direction. I prefer not to hear that garbage. He can't be honest with the fanbase so I don't want to give him that opportunity.

Next year we are looking at an 18-20 loss season. But JF will  still be talking about moving in the right direction. Just tired of his political rhetoric.

3/09/2016 12:36 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

We can certainly disagree about this, but you guys are speculating about what would have happened which pisses many people off.  Heck Ron won with walk ons.  First understand that Moore and Jack only broke their commitment after Ron was fired. Moreover, he had Jackson (a 1,000 point scorer), & Jones back and he had some other real talent lined up. Ron, deserved more time based on his record here at Duquesne and the obstacles he overcame.  I guarantee you he would have done better than Ferry over the last four years (speculation on my part).  

Because you just as readily are willing to speculate about how Ron would have done better to this point than Ferry I don't believe that is really the issue. It pisses people off if I say I believe Ron would have struggled if he stayed around, and it doesn't piss anyone off if you say, well he would be doing better than Ferry right now. Obviously the real issue is that so many people wanted Ron to stay, and that feeling has been inflamed by the fact that Ferry has basically been a bust to this point. My aim is not to piss people off. My aim is to discuss my favorite college basketball team with an unbiased viewpoint with the goal being improvement/relevance/high levels of success in the A10 and tournament appearances. Overall, Ron was definitely better than Ferry to this point (I'm saying to this point because he's still here, not because I really expect anything to change), but there are still things that Ferry has been able to do that we bitched about Ron for (get important kids to stay, recruit size, rebound better). My point is I really don't think either of these guys is or was the coach we needed to achieve what we all seek. I don't think my alma mater will ever reach the level of success it had so many years before I stepped on campus, due to BCS conference budgets and recruiting visibility now. Guys and coaches just don't fly under the radar like they once did before technology took over the world.

That being said, I can still expect top 6 conference teams, sporadic NCAA appearances, and more often occurring NIT's. That would make me happy and us respectable in my mind. Too often these discussions end up in some Ron vs Ferry conversation where the "optimists" and "pessimists" take sides and do battle. I don't care about either of them as I don't think they are the answer. People now act like the firing of Ron was shocking and out of left field at the time it happened. There were definitely those who were unhappy and calling for his head, especially after the epic meltdown after the really good start to the season(sounds like the current coach). Say what you want about him loving being an assistant at his home town school, if he was really that great of a coach some school would offer him more money than an assistant coaching salary, and he would probably take it. Nothing needs to be said about Ferry as were all aware of the current situation. So can we please stop making the conversation Ron vs Ferry, and perhaps look at things as where we are( during both coaches tenure) and where we actually all want to be.

3/09/2016 12:48 pm  #13

Duques102 wrote:

That being said, I can still expect top 6 conference teams, sporadic NCAA appearances, and more often occurring NIT's. That would make me happy and us respectable in my mind. Too often these discussions end up in some Ron vs Ferry conversation where the "optimists" and "pessimists" take sides and do battle. I don't care about either of them as I don't think they are the answer. People now act like the firing of Ron was shocking and out of left field at the time it happened. .

As I mentioned in a similar thread on the other board, there was always this other group of us I call the "pragmatists," who while not Ron's biggest fans, thought he deserved more slack for literally raising the dead, and earning the first 5 out of 6 .500 + seasons since the age of bell bottoms.  I think Ron deserved one more year, hell maybe even two. But dumping him like he did, not mention the hand picked successor (who had no interest in the job) and scrambling to find anyone and getting stuck with Ferry, just added to "Bad luck Schleprock" bad karma that has constantly plagues this program and still does.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/09/2016 1:44 pm  #14

102 you brought it up. I would love to move on past Ron, some people can't let it go. BTW regarding your gratious condesending comment you are forgetting the hatchet job Amodio and Dougherty did through the leaked memo.

Last edited by CLK (3/09/2016 1:51 pm)

3/09/2016 2:54 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

102 you brought it up. I would love to move on past Ron, some people can't let it go. BTW regarding your gratious condesending comment you are forgetting the hatchet job Amodio and Dougherty did through the leaked memo.

I didn't bring this up, I was just trying to clarify a point from a discussion you and someone else were having about Ron. And I'm not sure what comment you are referring to, but I never meant to be condescending to you or anyone else in this thread, I apologize for making you feel that way. I've always respected your posts and appreciated your insight, CLK and that reply to you was strictly my thoughts on the situation, nothing more.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/09/2016 3:00 pm)

3/09/2016 3:15 pm  #16

Thanks102. I was referring to the comment about Ron not getting another head coaching. 

You have been a valuable contributor to this Board, and enjoy your posts.  Sorry about being a bit cranky today (got the flu). I meant no disrespect.  Let's see if we can get #17 tonight.   

3/09/2016 4:25 pm  #17

Here here

3/09/2016 5:33 pm  #18

CLK wrote:

Thanks to 102 you interpreted my remark correctly.  Jack was very thin and weak as a freshman at PSU.  He couldn't contribute, and has only become a serviceable player in his senior season.  He would have gotten killed trying to play as a freshman.  Willie Moore hasn't amounted to much as I recall he couldn't shoot at all and left Oregon after one season.  I believe he turned up  as a bench player at Ohio U.  Neither of those guys was going to provide much for Ron had he not been fired.  You must admit it had the look of a team that was being thrown together at the last minute, with no point guard, no size (as always), and little in the way of scoring and It was already March, so even Ron, who was very resourceful in recruiting was facing a tough situation?   I know Ron had us so close to breaking through on a number of occasions, but for some reason we always seemed to fall short.  I certainly would have liked it to play out differently for Ron and Duquesne.

3/09/2016 8:21 pm  #19

Levon, it would have and should have been different for Ron and Duquesne except for one thing -  Greg Amodio's  very large ego which couldn't handle Ron Everhart's desire to be his own man and coach the team the way he wanted to run the program. As I have said repeatedly, Ron did not earn a lifetime job, but he earned a chance to save his job with another 1 or 2 years to do it. 

Board footera