Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2016 2:45 pm  #1

Isaiah Mike Could save Ferry's ass along with the rest of this progra

http://northpolehoops.com/2016/02/25/biosteel-all-canadian-selections-here-are-the-takeaways/

"There are three players in the 2016 class (Thon Maker, Justin Jackson, Isiaha Mike) that project and flaunt NBA potential; one of them was not selected.
Isiaha Mike standing at a lean 6’7, 210 lbs with graceful athleticism, three point shooting range, along with a solid in-between game. Collegiate level coaches took notice of this prospect initially while on the AAU circuit with Hoops Canada and NCAA coaches continued to track him at Trinity International School in Las Vegas. He is on a steady pace to make a direct impact next year for the Duquesne Dukes in the A-10.In our opinion, Mike is the biggest snub on this list and what we would call a “No-brainer”."

Thon Maker is a guaranteed top 3 NBA draft pick one year after college and the other kid is being looked at by all the big big major programs. The fact that he is being mentioned with these two is highly unervalued by us to this point I believe. I was excited about Littleson but between this article and him recently getting MVP at that Vegas Tournament that had high Major D1 players in it leads me to believe we have landed a true stud in Isaiah Mike.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/23/2016 2:48 pm)

3/23/2016 2:47 pm  #2

Re: Isaiah Mike Could save Ferry's ass along with the rest of this progra

Looks a lot older and bigger in this recent picture and some clips I saw from the tourney

Last edited by Duques102 (3/23/2016 2:50 pm)

3/23/2016 2:53 pm  #3

Mike has a lot of potential.  Hopefully, Coach Rhoades can develop that potential in spite of Ferry.

3/23/2016 2:55 pm  #4

I always say, if you're a Duquesne fan and you can't get excited this time of year, then you can never get excited.

3/23/2016 2:58 pm  #5

Econ69 wrote:

Mike has a lot of potential.  Hopefully, Coach Rhoades can develop that potential in spite of Ferry.

He's not really a post player from what I understand. I think that's why he get's the NBA prospect label. A 6'8" guy whose extremely athletic, can make good passes, handle the ball, and create his own shot and shoot out past the 3 point line. That description of Mike fits the mold of an NBA 3 man, which I think is the position he currently plays.

3/23/2016 2:59 pm  #6

Imagine LG Gill but good at basketball.

3/23/2016 3:08 pm  #7

Maybe we will try him at the point.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/23/2016 4:03 pm  #8

He's actually the type of player who will do well in Ferry's style of play, as we saw with Soko. Ferry should have been bringing in kids like him before now.

3/23/2016 10:15 pm  #9

I truly hope he does well and lives up to his pre-college press.  But, there is a big difference between being a dominant high school or AAU player and becoming a consistent performer in a league like the A10.  Let's see what he does once he suits up. 

3/24/2016 5:03 am  #10

ElDuque wrote:

I always say, if you're a Duquesne fan and you can't get excited this time of year, then you can never get excited.

I stay excited until the actual games begin in November. That's when reality sets in.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/24/2016 5:33 am  #11

C'mon Ken. We can beat DII teams in November. It's February that kicks our tails.

3/24/2016 7:10 am  #12

ElDuque wrote:

C'mon Ken. We can beat DII teams in November. It's February that kicks our tails.

And don't forget how the Dukes kicked the Blarney out of those Irish teams in August. And we have all world players in the summer leagues. Maybe Duquesne should petition the NCAA to change basketball to a summer sport.

3/24/2016 7:14 am  #13

Hope he is better than Castro......

A diehard fan since 1961

3/24/2016 7:53 am  #14

ElDuque wrote:

I stand corrected El Duque. Bring on St. Vincent, LaRoche and Seton HILL!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/24/2016 10:24 am  #15

Can we play Penn St. 29 times? How does Chambers keep his job. He's been there longer than Ferry, and has done about as much.

3/24/2016 10:42 am  #16

duq81 wrote:

Can we play Penn St. 29 times? How does Chambers keep his job. He's been there longer than Ferry, and has done about as much.

They legitimately don't care about basketball.

3/24/2016 11:04 am  #17

Penn State used to kill us when John Bach coached them. I think John passed away recently after a long career in college and the NBA.

3/24/2016 12:53 pm  #18

duq81 wrote:

Chambers is keeping his job because of his upcoming recruiting classes.  He has three 4 star players coming (one redshirted due to academics) from Philadelphia (Bostick is more of a 3 star), and another four star kid coming from Maryland.  Penn State decided to be patient and it could potentially be a brilliant move.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/24/2016 12:59 pm  #19

Simms wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Chambers is keeping his job because of his upcoming recruiting classes.  He has three 4 star players coming (one redshirted due to academics) from Philadelphia (Bostick is more of a 3 star), and another four star kid coming from Maryland.  Penn State decided to be patient and it could potentially be a brilliant move.  

I know the class is saving his *ss, and I'd probably give him a year or two as well, but damn, other than that, he's Jim Ferry. They should have hired Ron instead.

3/24/2016 1:03 pm  #20

Penn state actually got considerably better as the season went on. That 26-point win ended up looking like a pretty solid win. I watched those penn state recruits play in the state championship and they are legit. I can see why chambers kept his job

3/24/2016 1:23 pm  #21

"They should have hired Ron instead."

Can't wait for the hysterical reaction to this.

3/24/2016 1:42 pm  #22

ElDuque wrote:

"They should have hired Ron instead."

Can't wait for the hysterical reaction to this.

. My guess is that they would be grumbling by now. You're only going on rise so high there, and once you reach your ceiling, the fans want more. We could hire a coach that gets us in the tourney, and in a few years, they'd want to know when we were going to win some games. Ask Jamie Dixon.

3/24/2016 2:16 pm  #23

Unlike the Bluff, where consecutive non-winning seasons turn into contract extensions.

Worth pointing out: Danny Hurley, hired @ same time as Ferry, has been linked to every job opening I've seen so far.

PS, great quote by the new Rutgers coach, the guy from CW Post: "We're going to build a program." Must be a Lawn Gisland thing.

3/24/2016 2:43 pm  #24

ElDuque wrote:

Unlike the Bluff, where consecutive non-winning seasons turn into contract extensions.

Worth pointing out: Danny Hurley, hired @ same time as Ferry, has been linked to every job opening I've seen so far.

PS, great quote by the new Rutgers coach, the guy from CW Post: "We're going to build a program." Must be a Lawn Gisland thing.

Was the contract extension performance based or merely a clause that was triggered when the AD changed?

3/24/2016 2:59 pm  #25

As usual negativity and misinformation abound on this board.  Thanks to Simms for straightening our the misinformed about Chambers at PSU.  The team definitely improved and beat some good teams including Indiana in the Big Ten.  He now has back-to-back excellent recruiting classes littered with 4-star players.  This year, his class will probably finish in the top 10-15 in the country.  He has not only tapped his Philly connections, but also brought in two kids from Oak Hill.  Not every big name recruit turns out the way one would like, but he seems to have things moving in the right direction.  Of course, the Big Ten is tougher than the A-10 by leaps and bounds and you have to have big recruiting years on a continuing basis to survive.
As for the Dukes class, they aren't nearly has highly rated at the PSU classes, but it seems like a solid three-man class so far.  If Mr. Mike is what he appears to be, we should give some credit to the coaches for identifying him early and getting him signed before he blew up nationally.  I like the fact that he played in Vegas this year.  It should help him get ready for the A-10. 
I know it was a disappointing end to a promising season, but on one hand we want to see the coaching staff recruit better players, but many on the board just never let up with the negativity.  Don't think others don't read this and use it as a negative recruiting tool.  Sometimes I wonder if we all want to see Duquesne win as soon as possible, or just want to avenge Ron's firing by attacking the guy who replaced him but had nothing to do with firing him!

Board footera