Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2016 7:12 am  #1

In other news: Pitt picks Stallings?

Sounds like another AD who thought he had a good idea until he actually found that no one really wanted the job.

3/27/2016 8:07 am  #2

Re: In other news: Pitt picks Stallings?

Much as I pick on Pitt, I don't understand why that wouldn't be an appealing job. Jamie had them in the NCAAs most years. Howland before him. ACC, national rep, big budget. Do you think it's because they set sights on a veteran guy with lots of Dance experience?

Is Stallings the guy who started at Illinois State? I remember Née coaching against him.

3/27/2016 8:32 am  #3

Got to admit, reading the train wreck that is their message board this morning is quite entertaining. Makes this board look very reasonable

3/27/2016 9:11 am  #4

Mulder wrote:

Sounds like another AD who thought he had a good idea until he actually found that no one really wanted the job.

If a coach did not "want" this job, despite it being in the ACC, being a high-profile job, being one of just a handful of top salaried positions in the NCAA, then . . . .stay at your mid-level school you eternal underachiever.

Last edited by rittersdiner (3/27/2016 9:11 am)

3/27/2016 9:35 am  #5

Let's see who GTECH and Vanda hire. I think pitt fans will cry when they see what talent those schools are able to get relative to Stallings.

3/27/2016 10:46 am  #6

WEB wrote:

Let's see who GTECH and Vanda hire. I think pitt fans will cry when they see what talent those schools are able to get relative to Stallings.

Mark Price will land at Ga Tech. He is already a better coach than Stallings 

3/27/2016 11:10 am  #7

Stallings is the son of Gene Stallings, formed AD at Arkansas.

3/27/2016 11:44 am  #8

Wonder if Sheldon Jeter will be at the airport to greet him when the plane lands?

3/27/2016 11:50 am  #9

The Pitt job is a pretty good one, but guys are not going to leave a similar spot to go there unless they're on shaky ground. They though that because Sean Miller was an alum, he would jump at the chance to come home. You don't leave Arizona unless you've been offered by UK, KU, UNC, or Duke, unless your seat has become hot. They got nervous about taking a chance on an up and coming guy, and settled for a guy who they figured at worst will keep them decent. You don't run off Jamie Dixon for that type of guy. They pushed out a guy who made the dance 80% of the time, and who is a proven good guy, who runs the cleanest program we've seen at Pitt since Bob Timmons, for a guy who dances 40% of the time, and is a disagreeable person. This is typical Pittsburgh nonsense. Between Pitt and Duquesne, there hasn't been a brain cell in the AD's office in 40 years. I'm pretty familiar with the dumb moves made over the years by both schools. It's mind boggling.  Pitt runs off Jock Sutherland because they were embarrassed about being seen as a football school. Duquesne basically de-emphasizes hoops in the late 50s, because they didn't want to be seen as a hoops school. Especially with all of those black players. Pitt runs off Jackie Sherrill for pretty much the same reasons listed above. Red Manning scares away Gary Williams. Ed Bozik and crew destroy Pitt football. BC comes in and wrecks what's left of Duquesne Basketball. Walt Harris, and Wanny do a pretty good job of lifting Pitt football from the graveyard, only to be kicked to the curb by a guy who didn't even want them to be called Pitt anymore. GA screws Ron Everhart. Must be something in the water here. The Bobby Mo people must be drinking bottled water, cause they actually have a clue.

3/27/2016 11:53 am  #10

grammudder wrote:

Wonder if Sheldon Jeter will be at the airport to greet him when the plane lands?

Grad transfer if he's close to getting his degree. He's not great, but I'd surely take him. I bet there is an exodus from their team, and I bet their recruits ask to be released. We might have a chance to beat them this year.

3/27/2016 11:57 am  #11

rittersdiner wrote:

WEB wrote:

Mark Price will land at Ga Tech. He is already a better coach than Stallings 

For what it's worth, Price turned the job down. That's a really tough job now, with the influx of power programs from the BE. GT is a really good school, and you can't just bring in a bunch of brain dead types.

3/27/2016 2:15 pm  #12

I agree that the Pitt job SHOULD be an appealing one and I'm not clear entirely why it isn't.   It may not be top tier ACC but it does have a track record over the past couple of decades.  While I agree that it is not a destination job in football or basketball it does have the ACC going for it.

But it certainly appears that Barnes didn't like Dixon (and that was shared by a lot of boosters though as a non Pitt BB fan I don't understand that sentiment), wanted to make change, let Dixon/forced Dixon to leave, talked about the great search that would then take place, then did little searching other than through his search firm buddy who decided that nepotism was a good strategy. 

Stallings may prove to be an excellent hire but wow! Does it look pretty bad on the face of it right now considering all that posturing and "oh by the way" ACC dream.  Dixon was a class guy; Stallings doesn't seem on the same level - at least if you look at the record and the reports.

Last edited by Mulder (3/27/2016 5:48 pm)

3/27/2016 2:17 pm  #13

Mulder wrote:

I agree that the Pitt job SHOULD be an appealing one and I'm not clear entirely why it isn't. It may not be top tier ACC but it does have a track record over the past couple of decades. While I agree that it is not a destination job in football or basketball it does have the ACC going for it.

But it certainly appears that Barnes didn't like Dixon (and that was shared by a lot of boosters though as a non Pitt BB fan I don't understand that sentiment), wanted to make change, let Dixon/forced Dixon to leave, talked about the great search that would then take place, then did little searching other than through his search firm buddy who decided that nepotism was a good strategy.

Stallings may prove to be an excellent hire but wow! Does it luck pretty bad on the face of it right now considering all that posturing and "oh by the way" ACC dream. Dixon was a class guy; Stallings doesn't seem on the same level - at least if you look at the record and the reports.

Stallings will make it much easier to dislike Pitt than Dixon did.

Mulder, It is a good job, but coaches are not looking to make lateral moves. Pitt is attractive to coaches looking to climb the ladder, which is going to be the case in 98% of coach hirings. If you already have a good job, why leave for a similar one?

Last edited by duq81 (3/27/2016 3:09 pm)

3/27/2016 2:22 pm  #14

Should Duquesne reach out to Sheldon Jeter?  He obviously doesn't want to play for Stallings and wants to stay local likely.

Plus, he'd probably score 50 in a game v. Stallings.

All kidding aside,  I see this as entirely plausible.

3/27/2016 2:58 pm  #15

WEB wrote:

Should Duquesne reach out to Sheldon Jeter? He obviously doesn't want to play for Stallings and wants to stay local likely.

Plus, he'd probably score 50 in a game v. Stallings.

All kidding aside, I see this as entirely plausible.

This IS a unique situation, making for at least a slim possibility of what you suggest.

3/27/2016 3:11 pm  #16

Jeter would need to have his degree to be a grad transfer. Stallings could block it though.

3/27/2016 4:08 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

Jeter would need to have his degree to be a grad transfer. Stallings could block it though.

If Stallings is blocking Jeter from going to Duquesne, he may as well resign.

I wonder what friends of Jeter who are on the team think. I could see a mass exodus.

3/27/2016 4:29 pm  #18

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I wonder what friends of Jeter who are on the team think. I could see a mass exodus.

Based on us blocking TJ, we wouldn't have a leg to stand on if we tried to complain. The local press would destroy us, and rightfully so.

3/27/2016 4:36 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Based on us blocking TJ, we wouldn't have a leg to stand on if we tried to complain. The local press would destroy us, and rightfully so.

Not saying we complain. I'm saying they'll rip Stallings for continuing to a pompous jerk...which he is.

3/27/2016 7:30 pm  #20

I don't need a reason to hate Pitt. I'll always have Tim Grgrich.

3/27/2016 7:46 pm  #21

Jeter will stay at Pitt but if he were to transfer and want to stay in the area, RMU would have a better chance to get him.  Their coach would know what to do with him.

3/27/2016 8:19 pm  #22

Jeter has already contacted RMU

3/27/2016 8:55 pm  #23

3/27/2016 9:01 pm  #24

Jeter had a decent year. There's no way he would want to go from the ACC to the NEC. The one thing you can say about the whole Duq vs. RMU debate is that we aren't going to lose any head to head recruiting battles to them, if for no reason other than we are in a much better conference

3/27/2016 9:45 pm  #25

Who would you bet on making a NCAA appearance first RMU or Dukes?  Just saying.

Board footera