Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2016 1:33 pm  #1

Parity

After watching the elite 8 games I think that we're not that far away from going further in the tournament.  Three #1's get knocked out with two losing in the sweet 16.  Discounting UConn, in a league of their own, two of the teams in the final four, Syracuse and Washington, are one player better than us.  Washington was a #7 seed!  This tournament makes you feel encouraged for next year.  Bring it on!

4/01/2016 11:44 am  #2

Re: Parity

If we hadn't gone against UConn in the second round I'm thoroughly convinced we would have made the Sweet 16 and could have made the Elite 8 with the right matchup.  Rough luck of the draw being thrown into the Huskies path.

4/03/2016 9:52 pm  #3

I'm not sure about the E8, but the R16 was definitely a possibility with the right matchup.

Regarding the parity comment...I hope both committees were watching the NIT and WNIT also. 
NIT - 6 of E8 teams non-P5, all of final four non-P5 schools.
WNIT - 6 of E8 teams non-P5, championship game featured two non-P5 schools.

Granted, it was an unusual year, particularly for the women.  Yet, that should give A10 (and DU) fans some hope too that the non-P5 schools are competing well against the P5 bubble types.

4/04/2016 5:57 am  #4

SteelCityVoice wrote:

If we hadn't gone against UConn in the second round I'm thoroughly convinced we would have made the Sweet 16 and could have made the Elite 8 with the right matchup.  Rough luck of the draw being thrown into the Huskies path.

I'm okay with having played UConn. Even going one game deeper, we wouldn't have gained one tenth of the exposure we got by playing the Huskies. If you aspire to greatness, there's nothing wrong about testing yourself by going up against the best team ever.

4/05/2016 7:54 pm  #5

UConn hasn't trailed since we had a one point lead late in the first quarter.

4/06/2016 8:15 am  #6

So UConn, from the Sweet 16 on, has now beaten Miss State, TX, Oregon State, and Syracuse by huge margins.  The loss to UConn by our ladies has to be looked at in that perspective.  The Dukes are right in the middle of the mix.  Recruiting is the number 1 priority. 

Looking on the bright side UConn may actually lose a game or two next year.

4/06/2016 1:47 pm  #7

The final USA Today top 25 poll has just come out.  We didn't make the top  25 but received 37 votes.  That's ahead of programs like FL, St. Johns, Auburn, GA, GW, and Indiana. 

4/19/2016 4:03 pm  #8

We played the draw that we were given. And to a woman, we would not change a thing about our season. We learned a lot from the UConn game. We look forward to playing them again. 

4/20/2016 8:23 am  #9

Teams need to play UConn at least once to understand the level of intensity they bring to the game.  This in no way is a criticism of our ladies.  I thought we played as good a game against them, if not better, than Robert Morris and MS State.  Texas lost by 50 two years ago and played UConn a lot closer this past year.  South Florida always makes a game of it when they play UConn because they play each other at least twice a year in the AAC.  I'd love to see a rematch with UConn.  Can we get them on our schedule?

Board footera