Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2016 2:47 pm  #26

Re: The Program

I hope my view gets some dialog on how to change to improve, not get picked apart, or miss-quoted by a few (though it's probably going to happen). There is a definition of crazy, that states  "crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome".  In other words, if Ferry can't win with nothing (like Ron did win with nothing from the first year on) then how can we expect Ferry to suddenly develop after 4 years, any concept of defense, of team work, of developing and involving all the recruited players,or (at least) of out-coaching anyone at all when he didn't in 4 years.I think Duquesne University needs to look at winning models of other schools in our mid-major range, study 20 or 30 of them, develop what tendencies contribute to their success, then look at what assist. coaches have risen to head-coaching jobs successfully, and identify what traits were most common in them.  Forget out spending anyone, not going to happen. And last, quit trying to figure why no one is showing up for the games. Win and they will come. Lose and with a losing coach and you get 600 fans for a CIB tourney game every time. Period.    

3/31/2016 3:40 pm  #27

Napa, within the context of departmental/university budget, you are correct.

But we have to look at that discussion from another vantage point. Although alumni giving for athletics has probably never been overwhelming, I suspect it has plummeted since Amodio's disgraceful handling of the Everhart firing. Amodio had announced the formation of some kind of billionaires club for athletics, but since we haven't seen the fruits of this wooing of deep-pocketed benefactors, I imagine it was simply another ill-conceived Amodio idea. Among its other flaws, I think it drove another wedge between the University & athletic department and the small and mid-sized donors. The season ticket holders, for example.

Mr. Harper has an impressive fundraising background, to which I also hope he has expertise in bridge-building. I see on other internet sites that certain folks brag about meeting with Mr. Harper to offer him advice on a number of topics (these are the same folks who had Amodio's ear), and while they may be able to offer insight as to what has kept them involved (hint: what's in it for them), they don't represent the larger population that's gone away quietly into the night. This is where the bridge building must begin.

I commend Tejas Duke (he doesn't like me either) for reaching out to Mr. Harper and having an on-going conversation with him. Tejas is a fellow sufferer, has major frustrations even WRT trying to give the school money it didn't seem to want to take. Tejas, like me, is a long-distance fan, so guys like Tejas and me don't get to glad-hand with the AD, so what he did, IMHO, was important.

I plan to reach out shortly to Mr. Harper myself, simply to provide one of those little donations to WBB. I don't want "gimmes" or "tchotchkes" or bragging rights about an audience while crushing posters on this board elsewhere on the internet, having disappeared from this board when the 10-game losing streak started.

But I digress. I simply want to say thank you in a small way for the enjoyment I got watching one of the top WBB teams in the nation, and knowing that they wore red and blue.

I hope everyone who reads and posts here will follow Tejas' lead. I think if Mr. Harper is going to have any chance to fix this mess, there are people here who can help him understand context behind the exodus of fans, alumni and support, and perhaps start the process of bringing the faithful back. What he hears from those who were closest to Amodio is only half of the story, or less.

Otherwise, the hoity toity that have fed off our misery as fans and alumni will continue to have their way. And the program will sink further into oblivion, if that's possible.

Now, don't misunderstand me. I think we all have to work together. But we have to get a representative seat at the table, first. And there are PLENTY of posters on this board I think could take the lead on this. You folks know who you are (it's not me, I've been persona non grata for years). Talk to Mr. Harper, let him know how Amodio screwed this up, and help him fix things.

I think the future depends on it.

3/31/2016 7:46 pm  #28

ElDuque wrote:

I commend Tejas Duke (he doesn't like me either) 

Utterly incorrect and untrue statement Sir. I merely have philosophical objections to your solo membership in what I consider a Quixotic and foolish stance regarding the team up the road and our perceived relationship with them. That is all. I have no personal animosity towards you, and deeply regret if that angle has come across. You are a knowledgeable and long suffering fan, whom I hope to blow the foam off a pint with someday the night before we go see the Dukes play a first round game in the Big Dance.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (3/31/2016 7:46 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/31/2016 10:49 pm  #29

ElDuque wrote:

Napa, within the context of departmental/university budget, you are correct.

But we have to look at that discussion from another vantage point. Although alumni giving for athletics has probably never been overwhelming, I suspect it has plummeted since Amodio's disgraceful handling of the Everhart firing. Amodio had announced the formation of some kind of billionaires club for athletics, but since we haven't seen the fruits of this wooing of deep-pocketed benefactors, I imagine it was simply another ill-conceived Amodio idea. Among its other flaws, I think it drove another wedge between the University & athletic department and the small and mid-sized donors. The season ticket holders, for example.

Mr. Harper has an impressive fundraising background, to which I also hope he has expertise in bridge-building. I see on other internet sites that certain folks brag about meeting with Mr. Harper to offer him advice on a number of topics (these are the same folks who had Amodio's ear), and while they may be able to offer insight as to what has kept them involved (hint: what's in it for them), they don't represent the larger population that's gone away quietly into the night. This is where the bridge building must begin.

I commend Tejas Duke (he doesn't like me either) for reaching out to Mr. Harper and having an on-going conversation with him. Tejas is a fellow sufferer, has major frustrations even WRT trying to give the school money it didn't seem to want to take. Tejas, like me, is a long-distance fan, so guys like Tejas and me don't get to glad-hand with the AD, so what he did, IMHO, was important.

I plan to reach out shortly to Mr. Harper myself, simply to provide one of those little donations to WBB. I don't want "gimmes" or "tchotchkes" or bragging rights about an audience while crushing posters on this board elsewhere on the internet, having disappeared from this board when the 10-game losing streak started.

But I digress. I simply want to say thank you in a small way for the enjoyment I got watching one of the top WBB teams in the nation, and knowing that they wore red and blue.

I hope everyone who reads and posts here will follow Tejas' lead. I think if Mr. Harper is going to have any chance to fix this mess, there are people here who can help him understand context behind the exodus of fans, alumni and support, and perhaps start the process of bringing the faithful back. What he hears from those who were closest to Amodio is only half of the story, or less.

Otherwise, the hoity toity that have fed off our misery as fans and alumni will continue to have their way. And the program will sink further into oblivion, if that's possible.

Now, don't misunderstand me. I think we all have to work together. But we have to get a representative seat at the table, first. And there are PLENTY of posters on this board I think could take the lead on this. You folks know who you are (it's not me, I've been persona non grata for years). Talk to Mr. Harper, let him know how Amodio screwed this up, and help him fix things.

I think the future depends on it.

Good post, I think we can all agree, we would like to win more often than lose, but seem to have  40 years of just the  opposite.  If the admin. needs to analyse anything to win, it' to find a coach. And one that has those  traits that the young coach  at Butler possessed a couple of years ago.Go out there and find an assist. coach from a TOP LEVEL  program that comes in here in an interview and explains his knowledge of defenses, of  scouting the opponents, of  game time court strategy, and  half time adjustments, and  his knowledge of player development, and for that matter, his ability to develop within the team a team concept of winning. And even when we find that coach, and he can win, we had better have a plan inplace to be scouting his replacement, because, when they are that successful, they leave for better jobs. Even Xavier goes thru coaches every 5 or 6 years for the same reason. That coach from Butler left. Calipari, moved up with every chance he could get.  A long term strategy involves understanding that the coach is the key and not just anybody from a lower league. We recruit offense, but coaches teach defense once they are here.  Right now, we are in a very bad spot. Ferry can recruit, can make excuses, but is not a defensive wizzard to say the least.  His biggest responsibility and impact on this team in the game is defense.  Watch the recruits highlight videos, great offense, but no one is coming from HS showing off his defensive skills?? Wonder why?  Because they don't actually exist in HS. Defense on winning teams is a team effort, that is learned once you get here, or you don't get it at all.  Worst thing is, if the coach don't actually know how to  teach defense, ( I mean winning defense)  then we are just piling on more years of losing.     

4/01/2016 7:18 am  #30

Baby steps Napa. Get a real support group together for Mr. Harper, not the Amodio cronies. I'm too far away to be of any help.

Plenty of you guys are local, loyal, and smart. Please do this.

4/01/2016 8:42 am  #31

I know many don't want to speak of potential new coaches for our program but someone spoke of this idea in an earlier post and I completely agree.

I'd rather get an assistant from a P5 school than a successful head coach from a terrible conference (ferry).

I just think due to their experiences in "the big leagues" they know what needs to be done. Even if they weren't the #1 leader they were still out there every practice bringing the best skills to the best players in the country.

They come from where we want to be

Just food for thought. 

Roll Dukes Roll

4/01/2016 8:55 am  #32

ED noted "I see on other internet sites that certain folks brag about meeting with Mr. Harper to offer him advice on a number of topics (these are the same folks who had Amodio's ear), and while they may be able to offer insight as to what has kept them involved (hint: what's in it for them), they don't represent the larger population that's gone away quietly into the night."  I am so removed from internal stuff (and probably so naive) that I don't know who these people are or what their angle is or why they should have an angle (courtside seats? invitations to free food in the little AJP lounge?). 

But assuming this is the case (and I have no reason to doubt ED's comment) I hope that Harper himself reaches out to others of us who never had anyone's ear but who have been loyal as donors and season ticket holders so that he can get a different perspective.  I've tried in the past contacting various people and have had only minor responses or have been generally ignored.  I assume that's because I'm not one of these folks referred to by ED.  I hope Harper plans on changing that. 

I know this amounts to a personal, self pitying rant but it does become tiresome purchasing tickets year after year and donating what I can with the result being generally little acknowledgement other than some trinket.  I don't need the trinket, I need to win and just want to know that someone appreciates my thoughts and opinion as much as they do other alums/season ticket holders.  I don't want to sound like a baby - though I know this does - but I just get tired of feeling like what I do or say doesn't matter (If I want to get that feeling I can talk to my wife).  I can always use the money for something else.

End of rant - sorry - move along..nothing to see  here

4/01/2016 3:49 pm  #33

Rant? That was a dadblasted good post.

4/02/2016 2:02 am  #34

Napa, expect we don't agree on many of the particulars on how to get there but heart and mind and DU basketball is not one.  

If you will allow me to make a point.  Chuck Noll came here to coach a joke of a franchise of the old NFL. How bad was it? Art Rooney, the loved owner, went from being known as sort of helpless "Old Art Rooney" to become plain "Old Fart Rooney." After Forbes was torn down by Pitt to expand campus the awful Steelers moved to then Pitt Stadium where your DU ID card and 50 cents would get you in any Sunday.  That's how bad.  His first year here Chuck won just one game.  Yet, there was an unmistakable air about him around town of expectation. Pittsburgh sports writers were the first to notice, the Steelers may be losing on the scoreboard but something was noticably different in the game box scores that first year.  It was time of possession - even while losing more than 10 games, the Steelers were close to or mostly winning "time of possession."  This was before Mean Joe, Lambert, Bradshaw, Franco and on. Interestingly, coach Noll who never played D in the NFL, had played college at fellow A-10 Dayton, not exactly OSU, then joined the Browns as undersized Offensive Guard -  yet became the originator of a ball control, in your face, smash mouth storied Defense pro franchise for nearly 2 decades, as we all know.

We can all agree Ferry will talk defense -"we talk about it all the time" - but so far seems not to be in his DNA to make it the priority. It starts and ends with him.  

Last edited by Hilltopper (4/02/2016 2:25 am)

4/02/2016 7:45 am  #35

Hilltopper wrote:

Napa, expect we don't agree on many of the particulars on how to get there but heart and mind and DU basketball is not one.  

If you will allow me to make a point.  Chuck Noll came here to coach a joke of a franchise of the old NFL. How bad was it? Art Rooney, the loved owner, went from being known as sort of helpless "Old Art Rooney" to become plain "Old Fart Rooney." After Forbes was torn down by Pitt to expand campus the awful Steelers moved to then Pitt Stadium where your DU ID card and 50 cents would get you in any Sunday.  That's how bad.  His first year here Chuck won just one game.  Yet, there was an unmistakable air about him around town of expectation. Pittsburgh sports writers were the first to notice, the Steelers may be losing on the scoreboard but something was noticably different in the game box scores that first year.  It was time of possession - even while losing more than 10 games, the Steelers were close to or mostly winning "time of possession."  This was before Mean Joe, Lambert, Bradshaw, Franco and on. Interestingly, coach Noll who never played D in the NFL, had played college at fellow A-10 Dayton, not exactly OSU, then joined the Browns as undersized Offensive Guard -  yet became the originator of a ball control, in your face, smash mouth storied Defense pro franchise for nearly 2 decades, as we all know.

We can all agree Ferry will talk defense -"we talk about it all the time" - but so far seems not to be in his DNA to make it the priority. It starts and ends with him.  

Joe Greene was here from day one of Chuck Noll's tenure. He was the first player Noll drafted, and he suffered through the 1-13 season. The Steelers have lost more than 10 games once since then (5-11 in 1988).

4/02/2016 9:13 am  #36

indygjm wrote:

I don't buy into the theory that our facilities hold us back.  Bona doesn't have a great arena either and they are competitive most years. LaSalle doesn't have a great venue and they made a deep run in the NCAAs two years back.  Martelli coaches out of a tiny arena and makes the tournament every few years.  And Fordham plays in something like a high school gym and was better than us this year.  Our best teams 40 years ago practiced in what looked like a cave built into the side of a mountain and played across the street in the Civic Arena. The Palumbo isn't state of the art, but other teams in this league would be happy with it.  And Duquesne can move games to the Consol whenever they can attract more than 4000 fans.  Its coaching that matters.   

Throwing money into a pit of ineptitude is not the answer. No I'm not taking a shot at the kids or Ferry. No not the new AD. However this is a private Catholic school lacking an alumni base with money to give back. Let's face it Pitt has engineering Katz business school Medical school etc. Duquesne has always been based on liberal arts teachers and business to some extent. Since Colleary & the Quinipiac Clown how has the AD dept handled its budget in supporting the head coach to succeed. ANSWER they haven't, St. Joes Bonnie's Lasalle all have succeeded just like the small catholic grade schools or HS who succeed against the public school districts supported by tax dollars. Yes I have serious doubts with the current coach to succeed but please throwing money is like polishing a turd. REAL change must begin with the new AD . So far same Duquesne Destinany for failure for the men's BB program. Fix it the money will begin to trickle down.

4/02/2016 10:22 am  #37

IronDuke81, I'm hoping you'll be among the first to get to know Mr. Harper. You, PistolPete, others in the 'burgh who can be a better voice in his ear than the Amodio cronies who have spent the past four years tearing the fan base apart and supporting the "gather the driftwood and try to make something out of it" approach. Wet wood doesn't replace bricks.

Mulder, VBS, young guys, old guys ... Get involved.

Board footera