Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2013 6:46 am  #1

Mutiny on the Bluff

With the recent suspensions of senior Andre Marhold and junior Jerry Jones, Coach Ferry has created "class warfare" on his team by bullying the upperclassmen and creating discension on the team. Those practices must be a lot of fun with everyone dancing on pins and needles as they endlessly practice rebounding instead of shooting when it's obvious to even the most naive kid from the playground that  you're not going to fair too well against your typical opponents who out-height you by 3 to 4 inches.
Ferry's recent not-so-subtle digs at Everhart are surely not going over well with the upperclassmen who most likely liked or at least respected their former coach. Ferry is quoted in the PG saying "I don't know what was done before I got here, but I know what I want, I know what this program is going to be about and I know how I do things."
Hey Jim, how about forgetting about you lame "margin of error" theory and your constant berating of your team's talent. I'm sure you're not helping yourself to lure future recruits to Duquesne with your coaching methods and results thus far. Let the kids relax and have some fun shooting the ball the rest of the season. What's the worst that can happen?

1/29/2013 8:20 am  #2

Re: Mutiny on the Bluff

I guess 0-16 in 2013. 

1/29/2013 10:49 am  #3

Do we know for sure that there is dissention on the team? Has anyone spoken to any players or someone close to the program to know this? I worry about starting false rumors. I have no idea what the players may think, and in the longrun, I'm not too sure that I care. It is Ferry's team and he can and will run it as he sees fit. When the inmates run the asylum is when the real problems begin.

1/29/2013 11:22 am  #4

president

I agree with you 100%.  He is probably doing everything he can to get things in order...and since he doesn't have a lot of control of their ability at this point, he is trying to control what he can.

1/29/2013 11:37 am  #5

I think, before he can talk about what went on here before this year, he had better put up some better coaching because he is looking more like Danny than Ron.  He blames his players, and now somehow is now blaming Ron?  How about Ferry blaming himself just a bit.

1/29/2013 12:58 pm  #6

I wonder if the AD and/or Ferry thought this year would be as bad as it is?  The A-10 knew as they picked them last.  So maybe GA and Ferry knew also.

1/29/2013 1:23 pm  #7

Jackson40 wrote:

With the recent suspensions of senior Andre Marhold and junior Jerry Jones, Coach Ferry has created "class warfare" on his team by bullying the upperclassmen and creating discension on the team. Those practices must be a lot of fun with everyone dancing on pins and needles as they endlessly practice rebounding instead of shooting when it's obvious to even the most naive kid from the playground that  you're not going to fair too well against your typical opponents who out-height you by 3 to 4 inches.
Ferry's recent not-so-subtle digs at Everhart are surely not going over well with the upperclassmen who most likely liked or at least respected their former coach. Ferry is quoted in the PG saying "I don't know what was done before I got here, but I know what I want, I know what this program is going to be about and I know how I do things."
Hey Jim, how about forgetting about you lame "margin of error" theory and your constant berating of your team's talent. I'm sure you're not helping yourself to lure future recruits to Duquesne with your coaching methods and results thus far. Let the kids relax and have some fun shooting the ball the rest of the season. What's the worst that can happen?

Ferry's remark about not knowing what was done before he got here is puzzling to me. If that was supposed to be a shot at Ron about failing to discipline his players, I think most here would know he is way off base about that. I think many felt he went overboard at times with disciplining his players. I don't subscribe to that notion, but some believe he was unnecessarily tough on them at times.

1/29/2013 1:36 pm  #8

NapaDuke wrote:

I think, before he can talk about what went on here before this year, he had better put up some better coaching because he is looking more like Danny than Ron.  He blames his players, and now somehow is now blaming Ron?  How about Ferry blaming himself just a bit.

I'm not sure how Ron escapes some blame for the current condition of his team? His last 3 recruiting classes compose the sophomore, junior and senior classes and he gave out 12 scholarships.  So far those three classes have yeilded an all league PG (TJ), a above average SG (Sean), an average PG (Talley), a potentially average PF (Wright), a good bench option/ below average starter (Jerry), a below average C (Marhold), a below average F (Kadeem),  2 serviceable but not ideal bench centers (Abele and Datt), and 3 complete wash outs (Martin, Torres and Herrera). 3 of those first 4, the only members of the group who have what it takes to at least be average starters, are gone. 3 of the rest would be average bench players.

Ron's last three classes were not as good as his first three and it's effecting the team right now. Does Ferry deserve blame? Sure they're his players now, and it's his system they're playing  However, we're coming off of a game against Dayton where his first year players outscored the rest of the team, (aka Ron's recruits ) 44-9. Three freshman and JUCO sophomore should never outscore the rest of the team by that wide a margin unless there are serious problems with the upper classmen.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/29/2013 1:41 pm)

1/29/2013 1:52 pm  #9

steve19981 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

I'm not sure how Ron escapes some blame for the current condition of his team? His last 3 recruiting classes compose the sophomore, junior and senior classes and he gave out 12 scholarships.  So far those three classes have yeilded an all league PG (TJ), a above average SG (Sean), an average PG (Talley), a potentially average PF (Wright), a good bench option/ below average starter (Jerry), a below average C (Marhold), a below average F (Kadeem),  2 serviceable but not ideal bench centers (Abele and Datt), and 3 complete wash outs (Martin, Torres and Herrera). 3 of those first 4, the only members of the group who have what it takes to at least be average starters, are gone. 3 of the rest would be average bench players.

Ron's last three classes were not as good as his first three and it's effecting the team right now. Does Ferry deserve blame? Sure they're his players now, and it's his system they're playing  However, we're coming off of a game against Dayton where his first year players outscored the rest of the team, (aka Ron's recruits ) 44-9. Three freshman and JUCO sophomore should never outscore the rest of the team by that wide a margin unless there are serious problems with the upper classmen.

Then the best thing for Amodio to have done was to let Ron wallow in his recruiting failures and loss of players, let him bring in his so-called best recruiting class and give him one more year to fail convincingly so that there would be absolutely no doubt on anybody's part that firing him was the right thing to do.

1/29/2013 1:59 pm  #10

Westender wrote:

Then the best thing for Amodio to have done was to let Ron wallow in his recruiting failures and loss of players, let him bring in his so-called best recruiting class and give him one more year to fail convincingly so that there would be absolutely no doubt on anybody's part that firing him was the right thing to do.

I can see the logic behind that argument and the one made for moving on immediately.

1/29/2013 3:53 pm  #11

steve19981 wrote:

Westender wrote:

I can see the logic behind that argument and the one made for moving on immediately.

Sorry, not when everyone who knows anything about college basketball should have seen the state of flux and the eventual cleaving of the basketball-only BE Catholics (of couse I realize I am assuming a lot of our clueless president and our even more clueless AD), and realized that starting another rebuild was the absolute last thing we needed to do this year.  After the transfers Ron should have been given the chance with Moore and Jack to at least maintain mediocrity for another year, which would be way better than reliving John Carroll's first year like we are now.  We could have at least appeared as a mid level A-10 power, who is at least in the running for the NIT. Right now, thanks to more of this idiocy, we're getting laughed out of consideration for this new league, and are going to end up in some one bid joke lke the MAAC.  The BE Catholics are looking at us like the gang that couldn't shoot straigh for almost forty years, "Duquesne, F**k them!  Another five year plan to get back to the NIT tops!"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/29/2013 4:02 pm  #12

Westender wrote:

Jackson40 wrote:

Ferry's remark about not knowing what was done before he got here is puzzling to me. If that was supposed to be a shot at Ron about failing to discipline his players, I think most here would know he is way off base about that. I think many felt he went overboard at times with disciplining his players. I don't subscribe to that notion, but some believe he was unnecessarily tough on them at times.

I think too much is being read into that comment. I think what Ferry is saying is not that Ron did things wrong, but that he has his own way of doing things, and that's the way things are going to be done under him. I have no problem at all with him feeling this way. He has confidence in his methods, and he's going to sink or swim with them. His biggest challenge will be getting the correct players to run his system at this level. Watkins is a good start, and he needs to get more players like that. He may be putting the holdovers to the test, but many new coaches do that. Ron came in with a hard attitude for Nee's guys, telling them that it would be a hard road under him.  AJax, and Achara responded positively, DeVario Hudson, who was a good player, who could have contributed under RE, didn't want to hear it, and left. The others who left were scrubs, who were eased out the door. I expect some scrubs to depart this spring.

1/29/2013 4:09 pm  #13

I have never met Coach Ferry but was surprised with that comment also, most coaches simply say it was violation of team rules and drop it. Everyone motivates differently but treating the few upperclassmen in a  public humiliation type of statement, well, it wouldn't be my style.

Re gave us a five game winning streak with his first year and the 1040, then it was the 11 game streak 2 years ago, these were WINNING streaks, not the kind our Dukes are in now .

A diehard fan since 1961

1/29/2013 4:10 pm  #14

Tejas_Duke wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Westender wrote:

Sorry, not when everyone who knows anything about college basketball should have seen the state of flux and the eventual cleaving of the basketball-only BE Catholics (of couse I realize I am assuming a lot of our clueless president and our even more clueless AD), and realized that starting another rebuild was the absolute last thing we needed to do this year.  After the transfers Ron should have been given the chance with Moore and Jack to at least maintain mediocrity for another year, which would be way better than reliving John Carroll's first year like we are now.  We could have at least appeared as a mid level A-10 power, who is at least in the running for the NIT. Right now, thanks to more of this idiocy, we're getting laughed out of consideration for this new league, and are going to end up in some one bid joke lke the MAAC.  The BE Catholics are looking at us like the gang that couldn't shoot straigh for almost forty years, "Duquesne, F**k them!  Another five year plan to get back to the NIT tops!"

Sorry Tejas, without TJ, the chance that this was going to be more than a 10-12 win team, was nearly nonexistent. Jack may become a very good player, but he's hardly playing for a Penn State team that's really no better than we are. Duquesne was going to have to be an NCAA team to get serious consideration for the C7. Nova and Georgetown are pissed that they're stuck with DePaul, a team located in a better city, with much more recent success than us.

1/29/2013 4:15 pm  #15

Jackson40 wrote:

This is total nonsense, you are so off base it is riduculous.  I know this for a fact.  
You must be reading too may Colin Dunlap columns.  At least get close on your spelling of the word "dissension".  Please tell me you are not a Duquesne grad!

1/29/2013 4:58 pm  #16

Westender wrote:

I thought the same thing. If RE was still here, and the team had a terrible year, GA could have canned him with a minimum of rancor. I wonder if GA did it because he thought he could slide his boy Dino into the job. He may have thought that Dino would be seen as a great hire, which would minimize any negativity about Ron being let go. It may have caught him off guard when the prospect of Dino resulted in a storm of negativity.

1/29/2013 5:22 pm  #17

levon1975 wrote:

Jackson40 wrote:

This is total nonsense, you are so off base it is riduculous.  I know this for a fact.  
You must be reading too may Colin Dunlap columns.  At least get close on your spelling of the word "dissension".  Please tell me you are not a Duquesne grad!

levon---I am indeed a proud Duquesne grad and a long-time frustrated season ticket holder! Even you have to agree that this team has next to zero chemistry.  By the way, my "margin of error" was only one letter in the spelling of dissension, that's as close as you can get in my textbook. 

1/29/2013 5:50 pm  #18

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

I thought the same thing. If RE was still here, and the team had a terrible year, GA could have canned him with a minimum of rancor. I wonder if GA did it because he thought he could slide his boy Dino into the job. He may have thought that Dino would be seen as a great hire, which would minimize any negativity about Ron being let go. It may have caught him off guard when the prospect of Dino resulted in a storm of negativity.

Totally agree with Amodio planning to slide Gaudio in and GA underestimating the resulting storm of negativity that he faced regarding this.     I don't think GA ever had a plan to search for a coach until he learned he would have faced a total revolt if he hired his BFF. 

1/29/2013 6:33 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Sorry Tejas, without TJ, the chance that this was going to be more than a 10-12 win team, was nearly nonexistent. Jack may become a very good player, but he's hardly playing for a Penn State team that's really no better than we are. Duquesne was going to have to be an NCAA team to get serious consideration for the C7. Nova and Georgetown are pissed that they're stuck with DePaul, a team located in a better city, with much more recent success than us.

And ten or twelve wins would be worse than the six we are going to end this season with how?????????????????????????????

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/29/2013 7:43 pm  #20

We don't know the specifics of the reasons for benching Marhold and Jerry, so it's only speculation. Is Ferry disparaging the returnees from the RE era? It would be a fine idea if the Coach would not again refer to a lack of talent, which is obviously a rap on the holdovers.

If there is no dissention, especially during a downward spiral of a season, that is fortunate. The Coach rightly is upset about missed layups and other botched plays, but he needs to build a cohesiveness of character. The NY approach of blowing off steam after a loss should be tempered.

1/29/2013 8:16 pm  #21

My take on things: 1)  Doesn't matter who coached this year, John Wooden would have been smoked,  2)  Duquesne has the chances of a snowball in hell of being "accepted" by the Catholic 7, which really doesn't matter anyhow as the Super Four Conferences are being decided on as I write this and the merged super conferences are being formulated.  The C Seven and the rest of the small schools will be on the outside looking in, even IF the Super 4 allows the NCAA to exist, and 3)  Hell yes we can't hit the side of a barn on shooting, even at the free throw line.  Going forward with fresh blood we need a real gunner from the outside to make his mark.  Hey, Jon, my favorite son, let me talk to you about how I want my new program to be structured for the next couple years....

1/29/2013 8:41 pm  #22

I know I am stating the obvious here but this program is a big pile of sh*t right now.    The more things change the more they stay the same. 

1/29/2013 8:54 pm  #23

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

I think what is shown in bold above is exactly what happened.

1/29/2013 8:58 pm  #24

Tejas_Duke wrote:

And ten or twelve wins would be worse than the six we are going to end this season with how?????????????????????????????

10, or 12, or 15, wasn't going to get us in the C7. When the news of the C7 broke, we were still above .500. Nothing less than being an NCAA team was going to make us palatable to GT, and Nova, and make no mistake, GT and Nova are driving the bus here.

1/29/2013 9:04 pm  #25

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

I think what is shown in bold above is exactly what happened.

I guess we do have a little bit of clout. We made a ton of noise about Dino. Clowns like Dunlap were trying to boost this guy, and several Xavier fans chimed in about him being a good coach. Dino is Danny Nee, part 2. We made enough noise, that Gaudio himself got the message. The folks in charge read these boards.

Board footera