Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2013 11:04 pm  #26

Re: Mutiny on the Bluff

Boy, it doesn't take much to spark the arbitrary, capricious, and gratuitous Everhart slams, on this board and apparently in the coach's office.

Disregarding the leghumpers on this board who jump on this stuff like junkyard dogs in heat, I find the Ferry comments to be a little trashy for my taste. Jim: It's time to shut your yap and prove you can coach at this level. You can argue all you want about your guys vs. his guys; truth is, Ron's guys were a .500 team last year and won A-10 games. The coaches I have known in my lifetime would never stoop to such talk. They take their players and do their best with them. I could argue, you haven't done a good job even with "your" guys. Colter gets shut down by guys who aren't true point guards. Ouch!

My advice to you is to shut up and coach. The discourse you're starting in the press is disturbing, and makes me wonder if you really are in control. Or if Greg Amodio is pulling some strings. Either way, please stop. The record is embarrassing enough.

What we have on the Bluff right now is a total crap pile. I was frustrated before but after reading this string, I think I might pack it in for the year. Pitchers and catchers in two weeks, NFL draft in a couple months. At least something to look forward to.

1/30/2013 8:06 am  #27

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

And ten or twelve wins would be worse than the six we are going to end this season with how?????????????????????????????

10, or 12, or 15, wasn't going to get us in the C7. When the news of the C7 broke, we were still above .500. Nothing less than being an NCAA team was going to make us palatable to GT, and Nova, and make no mistake, GT and Nova are driving the bus here.

Recent article on Catholic 7 ready to split next year & pay penalty 10 Mil per school.Reason estimates for Fox TV package 500 mil paid out in 12 years. Dr. D got Duquesne to a top 10 Catholic institution. Pgh huge tv market Consol location....I could go on all day.In regard to REs firing I disagree as to the handling but its GAs call.Accountability goes both ways. At this stage wins really dont matter although I would like to see a positive sign for the future from Coach Ferry & staff. Basically when GA was hired everybody knew about the talk of super conferences driven by football thus the end of the Big East Catholic schools.If Duquesne is left out GA failed period! Whats left A-10 internet TV vs. Cathic League coast to coast 2 games per week commercial value towards Duquesne worth millions in ad dollars.This is an opportunity I do not want to blame it all on the past who runs a business on the past with excuses hopefully nobody. Duquesne belongs get it done period!

1/30/2013 11:20 am  #28

My thoughts, I don't believe GA really planned on getting Gaudio in, he knew we all knew of their close friend relationship. How would he handle Gaudio failing and having to answer for his friend. Friends can't work for friends, it just does'nt work. Also no one else in D1 basketball hired him after his stint with Wake, so tough sell to CD.

I believe and have some inside on the Dambrot pursuit, this is who GA sold to CD. He thought he could absolutly get this guy, with his recent success in Ohio it was a good choice and sell to CD. When he was turned down, remember, he went after him again, and when he fell on his face, GA went public to try and save face, and made the offer to Dambrot public. This was to try, and tell the fans, and alums look at what he turned down its not my fault. So now panic sets in, he does not interview anyone, or if he did again no transparency, and goes after Ferry.

This was something he could say to CD. This guy just made two NCAA appearances, he's our guy. However, since the offer to Dambrot was public, our wallet was open to any coach to who was looking to move on or for more money. Remember, Ferry would have gone to, I believe Manhatten if they would have paid in 350K, in the Newyork city cost of living area. Now he see's 600K a year in Pittsburgh, why not?

If coach Ferry did not scout the talent remaining hear and it was that bad why would he come, and not be prepared to take on this task with professionalism and dignity. As a wise law man always told me, if you want to know the answer to anything follow the money!

1/30/2013 1:58 pm  #29

I do not know what is going to happen, and I am upset like everyone else how we are losing continually.  My "prediction" is Ferry will have two more years to put together a good team and if that doesn't happen, then the AD will be let go.

I just feel like I am in the Danny Nee area and that was my worst experience as a fan.

1/31/2013 2:03 pm  #30

Agree with you FAM. A couple more years and we will all know the outcome of the Ferry era at Duquesne. I believe it is way too early to bash Ferry. I expect that he is totally frustrated with the play of the team and may have said a thing or two that he might regret. If Ferry fails, then both he and Amodio will be gone, no doubt..

1/31/2013 5:08 pm  #31

president wrote:

Agree with you FAM. A couple more years and we will all know the outcome of the Ferry era at Duquesne. I believe it is way too early to bash Ferry. I expect that he is totally frustrated with the play of the team and may have said a thing or two that he might regret. If Ferry fails, then both he and Amodio will be gone, no doubt..

If in 2 years we're in the equivalent of the MAAC or Northeast Conferences, which at this time based on what we know is more and more likely, I don't know if many will care about who is the the coach, the AD or for that matter if we even have a team. I know I won't care even half as much as I do now. The blame for going from maybe the best non-BCS Conference this year to a MAAC equivalent rests entirely on the backs of the Administration and AD's over the years. If X, Dayton, DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall, etc., can make the necessary commitment to have a basketball program with at least some prestige and stature, then there is no reason in my mind why Duquesne could not do it. Now it appears to be too late to avoid falling into a lower lever conference unless the powers that be are feverishly working behind the scenes to avoid that and somehow pull a rabbit out of their hats. If what appears to be inevitable happens, I'll feel no guilt or responsibilty about never supporting the program again. And all of these message boards, blogs, posts, arguments, opinions and disagreements will be irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Maybe that's harsh, but that's how I see it right now.

Last edited by Westender (2/01/2013 11:41 am)

1/31/2013 8:16 pm  #32

I agree with Westender's sentiment.  Unfortunately I don't believe there are any wizards behind the curtains trying to pull off a miracle.   It took them 4 year to get an Internet broadcast right, they will not be able to get in the C7

Actually I will do what I am probably doing now.  That is supporting the women's team and doing my best to ignore the mess that is the men's team

1/31/2013 10:20 pm  #33

Westender wrote:

president wrote:

If in 2 years we're in the equivalent of the MAAC or Northeast Conferences, which at this time based on what we know is more and more likely, I don't know if many will care about who is the the coach, the AD or for that matter if we even have a team. I know I won't care even half as much as I do now. The blame for going from maybe the best non-BCS Conference this year to a MAAC equivalent rests entirely on the backs of the Administration and AD's over the years. If X, Dayton, DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall, etc., can make the necessary commitment to have a basketball program with at least some prestige and stature, then there is no reason in my mind why Duquesne could not do it. Now it appears to be too late to avoid falling into a lower lever conference unless the powers that be are feverishly working behind the scenes to avoid that and somehow pull a rabbit out of their hats. If what appears to be inevitable happens, I'll feel no guilt or responsibilty about never supporting the program again. And all of these message boards, blogs, posts, arguments, opinions and disagreements will be irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Maybe that harsh, but that's how I see it right now.

Westender --- I read your post with a tear in my eye as it appears that a fine 100 year tradition of men's major college baskteball at Duquesne is nearing an end if the Atlantic10 folds. What a shame that the women's program will suffer collateral damage just when they are rising to national prominence if they must follow the men to the MAAC or the NEC. Look for Suzie to take over the coaching job at Pitt if this happens.

2/01/2013 12:28 am  #34

Jackson40 wrote:

Westender wrote:

president wrote:

If in 2 years we're in the equivalent of the MAAC or Northeast Conferences, which at this time based on what we know is more and more likely, I don't know if many will care about who is the the coach, the AD or for that matter if we even have a team. I know I won't care even half as much as I do now. The blame for going from maybe the best non-BCS Conference this year to a MAAC equivalent rests entirely on the backs of the Administration and AD's over the years. If X, Dayton, DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall, etc., can make the necessary commitment to have a basketball program with at least some prestige and stature, then there is no reason in my mind why Duquesne could not do it. Now it appears to be too late to avoid falling into a lower lever conference unless the powers that be are feverishly working behind the scenes to avoid that and somehow pull a rabbit out of their hats. If what appears to be inevitable happens, I'll feel no guilt or responsibilty about never supporting the program again. And all of these message boards, blogs, posts, arguments, opinions and disagreements will be irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Maybe that harsh, but that's how I see it right now.

Westender --- I read your post with a tear in my eye as it appears that a fine 100 year tradition of men's major college baskteball at Duquesne is nearing an end if the Atlantic10 folds. What a shame that the women's program will suffer collateral damage just when they are rising to national prominence if they must follow the men to the MAAC or the NEC. Look for Suzie to take over the coaching job at Pitt if this happens.

We are not going to the NEC or MAAC. Goodness gracious.

2/01/2013 8:23 am  #35

president wrote:

The genius of Amodio. Pulling the trigger on RE 2 years prior to the expiration of his contract should serve to obtain an extension from Dr. D. If im not mistaken his contract coincided with RE.By giving Ferry a 7 year deal to be fair coach Ferry will need 3-4 years. If 500 at 3 bust. But GA should continue to hold on until 2016. Problem blown opportunity Catholic 7...Average students per game attending Amodioville 6 no TV network unlike Fordham,RI @ yes Bonnies ...Solid 3rd Div I team in PGH...Never will beat Pitt at this point Robert Morris maybe once.RE built a fan base @ alumni support Coach Ferry has been in a bunker cant blame him. There is alot of hate going on.. Not good for the University .Its really difficult to show some love hopefully GA has applied & gets the X job. Next AD please no New Yorkers look at the last 30 years of mens basketball common thread! Lets get back to a Pittsburgher they generally avoid the arrogance card which does not play will in Western Pa. Unfortunately by that time it maybe over.

2/01/2013 9:50 am  #36

Ironduke81 wrote:

president wrote:

The genius of Amodio. Pulling the trigger on RE 2 years prior to the expiration of his contract should serve to obtain an extension from Dr. D. If im not mistaken his contract coincided with RE.By giving Ferry a 7 year deal to be fair coach Ferry will need 3-4 years. If 500 at 3 bust. But GA should continue to hold on until 2016. Problem blown opportunity Catholic 7...Average students per game attending Amodioville 6 no TV network unlike Fordham,RI @ yes Bonnies ...Solid 3rd Div I team in PGH...Never will beat Pitt at this point Robert Morris maybe once.RE built a fan base @ alumni support Coach Ferry has been in a bunker cant blame him. There is alot of hate going on.. Not good for the University .Its really difficult to show some love hopefully GA has applied & gets the X job. Next AD please no New Yorkers look at the last 30 years of mens basketball common thread! Lets get back to a Pittsburgher they generally avoid the arrogance card which does not play will in Western Pa. Unfortunately by that time it maybe over.

Agree with next AD a Pittsburgh guy. How about Tom Donahoe, great leader, strong Catholic roots, local media loves him, knows sports, knows management, I think he would be a great hire and is available. He is well respected and great at assessing talent.

2/01/2013 11:02 am  #37

Unless GA is tight with someone at Xavier, which he could be, I would be surprised if they would hire him.  Other than GIrl's Basketball, (he did do a good job hiring Suzie and giving her an extension) I don't see any of our sports doing that well.

2/01/2013 1:56 pm  #38

What about the RMU AD?   He has done a great job there with less.  Not sure if he would make the move. 

I like speculating about a new AD!!!

2/01/2013 4:37 pm  #39

Sad to say this program died when the big train Billingy had Darnell Robuck, Ed Searcy , Kinsey I think at guard and another point guard as freshman. Searcy left for St. John's as a C-F, Kinsey and the other guard also transferred and Red started recruiting mediocre WPIAL players.,Cinny got lucky when he missed on Tree Rollins but found Slick, who finessed our Dukes to the only Eastern Eight/ A10 title we have ever won and our last NCAA. Remember we used to go when there were only 16 teams invited, we were that good. I saw the games and teams, and the mediocre teams that Duquesne fielded since.

it is hard to follow this year because we are out classed in this conference, I am an old guy now but don't think I will ever see Duquesne back at the glory days of the late 60's. Gary Nelson once mentioned to me that back then Duquesne was the only winner in Pgh then, Steelers were about as awful as this years Dukes, Pirates had not gained the winning ways of the 70's , Pitt stunk in FB and Hoops.

now we can't even beat Robert Morris.

those of you who are too young to remember that Era, sorry that you missed it.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/01/2013 6:25 pm  #40

Iron and any other fan that thinks GA acts on his own (as in firing RE two years early) is abundantly feeble-minded.  Duquesne never shoots for the stars with their hires because the stars a) know the deal, b) require too much control and $$ to start initiatives, c) won't put their reps on the line, and d) are savvy enough with their network to expose the inner sanctum of Duquesne's decision making to public view.  Duquesne's profile is to attract lower level reachers and promising them more support, more enthusiasm, more control than actually materializes soon after the honeymoon ends.  GA is a lackey that acts on behalf of CD and the Board not the other way around.  I bet he was forced to cut the Frisbee Dog routine from 3 dogs to 2 to save money. 

The program is beyond help.  SMS is the single last best thing that will happen to this basketball program.  Ever.

2/01/2013 7:08 pm  #41

Jeralta wrote:

Iron and any other fan that thinks GA acts on his own (as in firing RE two years early) is abundantly feeble-minded.  Duquesne never shoots for the stars with their hires because the stars a) know the deal, b) require too much control and $$ to start initiatives, c) won't put their reps on the line, and d) are savvy enough with their network to expose the inner sanctum of Duquesne's decision making to public view.  Duquesne's profile is to attract lower level reachers and promising them more support, more enthusiasm, more control than actually materializes soon after the honeymoon ends.  GA is a lackey that acts on behalf of CD and the Board not the other way around.  I bet he was forced to cut the Frisbee Dog routine from 3 dogs to 2 to save money. 

The program is beyond help.  SMS is the single last best thing that will happen to this basketball program.  Ever.

Jeralta, I am no fan of Amodio, but I think you have it wrong about Dr. Dougherty.  He has stepped up the commitment to the men's basketball program.  I am sure whoever has the time to find the current comparison of total spending (after increasing payroll with the hiring of Ferrry) will find we are closer to the top of the league than the bottom.  The AD had to have the permission of the President and the Board of course in firing Ron.  Dr. Dougherty mistake, however, was relying on the advice of his AD.  I believe he really wants to see both the mens & womens program get into the NCAA more than any of us.

I know everyone is frustrated with this losing streak, but let's not turn on each other.  Here is hoping we can be talking about our first A10 win tomorrow night.

Last edited by CLK (2/01/2013 7:10 pm)

2/01/2013 8:27 pm  #42

Scotchngars wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

president wrote:

Agree with next AD a Pittsburgh guy. How about Tom Donahoe, great leader, strong Catholic roots, local media loves him, knows sports, knows management, I think he would be a great hire and is available. He is well respected and great at assessing talent.

You mean the guy that Bill Cowher ran off of the Steelers? The Steelers got better when they got rid of him. The Steelers run during the early to mid 90's was built on guys drafted by Chuck Noll. Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, Dawson, Foster, O'Donnell, all Chuck Noll guys. When Donahoe's draft picks took over, we missed the playoffs 3 straight years. This is the guy that refused to allow Woodson to return, and who made the infamous "Salvation Army" comment about Kevin Greene. Screw him. Once Cowher got him out of here, championships soon followed. Great job he did in Buffalo. I don't want him anywhere near the Bluff. Now the Bobby Mo guy, hell yeah!!!

2/01/2013 10:37 pm  #43

I don't know how much he would cost, but the president of the Cleveland Cavaliers, Len Komoroski, is a DU grad. He was on the tennis team when I was in school. I'm sure, though, that as an NBA executive his salary is an order of magnitude beyond what we can afford.

Unless Scotch is willing to come up with some scratch.

2/02/2013 8:50 am  #44

duq81 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

You mean the guy that Bill Cowher ran off of the Steelers? The Steelers got better when they got rid of him. The Steelers run during the early to mid 90's was built on guys drafted by Chuck Noll. Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, Dawson, Foster, O'Donnell, all Chuck Noll guys. When Donahoe's draft picks took over, we missed the playoffs 3 straight years. This is the guy that refused to allow Woodson to return, and who made the infamous "Salvation Army" comment about Kevin Greene. Screw him. Once Cowher got him out of here, championships soon followed. Great job he did in Buffalo. I don't want him anywhere near the Bluff. Now the Bobby Mo guy, hell yeah!!!

2/02/2013 9:03 am  #45

Unlike GA who constantly attempted to interject his thoughts throuhout REs tenure. Tom Donahoe Pittsburgh grandson of Davy Lawrence GM Steelers President Bills lets see A-10- Vs. NFL .Polished communicator former athlete media savy. Duq81 you have no idea as to the reason why Cowher stayed & as for the Bills bad ownership Ralph Wilson very old just stepped down.Why am I even arguing this point Donahoe would bring Duquesne major street credibility. Do we need another minor AD or 3rd rung asst from the X? Robert Morris AD hell NO!

2/02/2013 10:24 am  #46

Ironduke81 wrote:

Unlike GA who constantly attempted to interject his thoughts throuhout REs tenure. Tom Donahoe Pittsburgh grandson of Davy Lawrence GM Steelers President Bills lets see A-10- Vs. NFL .Polished communicator former athlete media savy. Duq81 you have no idea as to the reason why Cowher stayed & as for the Bills bad ownership Ralph Wilson very old just stepped down.Why am I even arguing this point Donahoe would bring Duquesne major street credibility. Do we need another minor AD or 3rd rung asst from the X? Robert Morris AD hell NO!

Who cares that he's David Lawrence's grandson? He failed in the NFL. Pitt tried a failed Pittsburgh NFL guy in Wanny. You see how well that worked. The power stuggle between Cowher and Donahoe was very well documented. Cowher won, and the results speak for themselves.

2/02/2013 12:06 pm  #47

I read this board only occassionally and have never posted, but feel like many of the quiet "majority" that some response is necessary to the vocal "minority" that seem to think the name of this Board should be "Bash the AD".  One of you guys posted that you are tired of RE getting criticized on the Board, but it strikes me that RE is consistently defended and GA is continually (and i think irrationally) hammered.  So for the record I would offer what I feel are logical observations as a long time season ticket holder, donor and supporter of Duquesne.  RE was a very personable guy and certainly deserves part of the credit for bringing us out of the abyss, along with GA (who hired him) and Charlie who has supported GA's initiatives (physical improvements, budget ++, Consol relationship etc.).  That being said the decision to let him go was the right one based on how the program has been trending the last 3 years - the details of which have already been discussed at length on this Board.  Now some of you have argued that GA is responsible for this "leak" to the press when RE was let go.  C'mon, people in positions of authority don't do things that intentionally make them look bad.  You may question procedurally how things are handled at DUQ, but not being an insider I can't comment on their policies and procedures.  I do know this, as an executive reporting to a Chairman and Board I am frequently asked to summarize my recommendations before meetings so the guys at the very top have time to consider.  I believe, as do many others, that GA did what he was required to do and what Charlie wanted and frankly I was and remain in agreement with the content of the letter.  It was unfortunate that someone along the line leaked that out, but there are many board members and people that work for them and I don't put that on GA or CD.  Others have said that GA should have told RE ahead of time what he was going to recommend so that RE could have taken another job.  Nonsense!  From my experience a CEO (Charlie) or Board may delay a decision, turn down a recommendation or alter a recommendation.  It would have made absolutely no sense for GA to do anything until that decision was made.  As to student attendance, which some of you (Iron Duke) also blame on GA, I know from talking with AD staff members and others that a variety of things have been tried and will continue to be tried, but the real cure for this long standing student apathy is one thing - WINNING!!!  Oh, and GA wanted to hire his friend Gadio, which is another reason he wanted to let RE go, pleaseeeeee.  Scotchngars, we are in agreement on this one, I asked GA directly about this when RE was let go and he said that would never happen, pretty much for the reasons you noted.  Scotch, you also said GA would have made it more palatable if he let RE coach one more year and then let him go, well in my view he made the tough choice, not the easy one. We would have been further down the rabbit hole as Ron's lame duck status would have had a negative affect.  I know some posters are season ticket holders so if you have a problem or question, why not approach GA and ask him at the game?  I had questions over the last year and I did approach Greg a couple of times and my questions concerning program direction, resources, conference issues etc. were articulately and thoughtfully answered.  I don't really care if GA is not the warm and fuzzy type, I just want someone who has a plan and a belief in it and my view is that Greg does have that.  I would just like to see the end of so much negativity as I believe we all want the same thing - consistent winning and periodic appearances in the Dance.  Are we worse off now then where we were when RE was hired?  As a program absolutely not, as for our current record, well that speaks for itself, but sometimes you do take a step back before ongoing success and this year was not unexpected.  GA is well aware of all this and he knows, but wasn't afraid to take the risk, that his legacy will rest with JF's success - which is one thing we can all agree on.  I'll post another view on how that can happen if I am welcome to post again.  Thanks.

2/02/2013 12:32 pm  #48

MrB, your post is appreciated. Feel welcome to post, and join in the debates here anytime.

2/02/2013 12:40 pm  #49

Thanks for the breath of fresh air Mr Brightside; this is actually the first lucid post written on this board in quite a while ( with the exception of my occasional attempts to control the mob mentality).  The constant one-sided attacks and negativity on the board make it nearly impossible to tolerate.  It seems that some of the posters want to see the program fail, so they can prove their point that GA is a poor leader, and RE should have been retained.  It really gets so redundant that the board has become ridiculous.

Last edited by levon1975 (2/02/2013 12:44 pm)

2/02/2013 1:28 pm  #50

Mr. Brightside, you're certainly welcome to post here.

Levon, I love your posts, but the one above reminds me of Kevin Bacon in Animal House.

Board footera