Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2016 10:00 am  #1

Dukes Men's Basketball Interview on Matt Gajtka's Show

Here is the interview I did about the new Duquesne men's hoops book (BUY: Kings on the Bluff) on Matt Gajtka from DK Pittsburgh Sports' "Gike's Got Game" show on Friday morning. I come on at around 16:00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cpzhTtb-dE

7/26/2016 7:40 am  #2

Re: Dukes Men's Basketball Interview on Matt Gajtka's Show

Nice interview!  I just picked up the book from Amazon and am looking forward to reading it as soon as I finish a couple of things I'm reading for work.

7/26/2016 10:39 am  #3

I got it from Amazon as well, and read most of it in a day.  I learned a few things I didn't know about the glory years of the 1950's.  I didn't realize that hiring Dudey Moore was such as reach.  There were much more experienced and well-known coaches interested in the job, but they picked Dudey who was an ex-player under Chick Davies, but was only an assistant coach at Shaler at the time he was hired!  Can you imagine hiring a High School assistant as Head Coach of a significant basketball power at that time? 
I also didn't realize that the 1954 that just preceded the "55 Championship team was widely considered the best team of that era at Duquesne.  In addition to the two superstars Green and Rickets they also had another great player in Jim Tucker, and also lost another player from that team to illness before the '55 season.  The '54 team was upset in the NIT finals by a surprising Holy Cross team led by the fiery future Boston Celtic Tommy Heinsohn. 

It was an enjoyable recap of each of the games during the championship season, but I thought there might be more background information about the individual players, and coaches, especially Si Green and Dick Ricketts.  

7/27/2016 4:00 am  #4

blufftalk, nice segment with Matt. I'm looking forward to reading the book. Also, I was impressed that you didn't move a muscle throughout the entire interview; quite zen-like.

7/28/2016 8:14 pm  #5

Hahaha. Thx, folks.

Board footera