Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2016 9:09 am  #1

Ran into a familiar face

Ovie Soko is back in town. I ran into in the south-side. To just think if he was on this years team, we would be a force to be reckoned with.

Roll Dukes Roll

8/01/2016 9:40 am  #2

Re: Ran into a familiar face

He is on the team-just in a thinner version in the form of Isaiah Mike.

8/01/2016 12:20 pm  #3

grammudder wrote:

I really, really, REALLY hope that you are right this time.

He said, thinking about your other predictions of greatness (Jordan Stevens anyone?).

Oh, <rhymes with Pitt>, did I just say that out loud?

8/01/2016 8:20 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

grammudder wrote:

I really, really, REALLY hope that you are right this time.

He said, thinking about your other predictions of greatness (Jordan Stevens anyone?).

Oh, <rhymes with Pitt>, did I just say that out loud?

I don't remember anyone predicting Jordan Stevens would be great. maybe I missed it.

8/02/2016 5:32 am  #5

Please, after the summer league a couple of years ago? That's all we heard.

Took, what, one game to put that notion to rest?

8/02/2016 8:24 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Please, after the summer league a couple of years ago? That's all we heard.

Took, what, one game to put that notion to rest?

I don't remember that excitement for him either, and yes he totally sucked. In all fairness, I think everyone, including myself for sure, really thought Castro was going to be an absolute force for this team following his first summer league, and that didn't work out either. It happens, no ones perfect. There are guys in all the major professional sports whose sole responsibility is to analyze and project out talent. These guys don't even always get it right, not every first round pick even ever makes it on the field, take it easy on the gramster.

That being said I think Mike is different. He comes in with some serious pedigree. Number 3 prospect in the country he's from, one of the best performances on the court for his countries equivalent to the McDonald's All American game. MVP In two nationally elite level tournaments in the US, not at age 16 but a couple months before he came into the fold at Duquesne. Not to mention all his physical attributes. 6'8", extremely athletic, good hands, can shoot from all over the court, and can even handle well enough to bring the ball up the court if need be. Everything about him points to immediate success, to what degree remains to be seen.

8/02/2016 9:26 am  #7

If memory serves me right, I thought I touted the value and virtues of Jordan ROBINSON, not STEVENS.  BUT, WHO CARES NOW?  The jury is still out on Robinson who is a junior in eligibility.

8/02/2016 11:11 am  #8

grammudder wrote:

If memory serves me right, I thought I touted the value and virtues of Jordan ROBINSON, not STEVENS.  BUT, WHO CARES NOW?  The jury is still out on Robinson who is a junior in eligibility.

Now that makes much more sense. Robinson was indeed, highly touted. Not based on summer league play, but on his prep rankings. JC guys are rarely hyped around here, as most have sucked, going back to Ernest Cooper.

8/02/2016 11:50 am  #9

Let’s examine the facts, shall we?

To be fair, Grammy’s first take on Stevens was a bit pessimistic: “Stevens appears to be a left-handed, 6'1"- version of Tra'vaughan White. His assist to turnover ratio is under one (1). He averaged under one steal a game. He is identified on other boards as a combo point/shooting guard. Recruited by Quinniapac (?-spelling), Wisconsin-Milwaukee, with supposed interest from Rhode Island and a few others. He is an all-america JC player. Should sound familiar. Doesn't sound like an upgrade at the point that will give warm and fuzzy feelings to this board's posters who so drastically crave a change of the (point) guard! Not to be critical.” (Taken from his 4/28/14 post)

But when the summer league began a few months later, Grammy gave us a much more optimistic perspective, backed by some expert testimony that he gathered at the games: “After what I saw in Montour tonight, I am even more sure that Jordan Stevens will be a PG and a 2G and play about 30 minutes a game juggling between the two guard slots. … After my prior post referencing Billy Clark, who should I have had the opportunity to talk with but Billy Clark. He thinks Jordan Stevens is the man and should lead the team in scoring! After watching him tonight he might lead the team in assists. … Had some nice chit-chat with Ray Goss and Cal State Hall of Fame hooper from Homestead High Pat Hobart. Hobart is sky high on Jordan Stevens’ ability.” (7/9/14)

This was followed by:
“Since you have not seen the summer league, let me assure you that Jordan Stevens will create as many shots as you can imagine. He will draw a ton of fouls, i/m/o. And he can and will dish it off.” (7/19/14) and

“STEVENS CAN CREATE A SHOT FROM ANYWHERE ON THE FLOOR. DON'T BELIEVE ME. BELIEVE THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN HIM.” (7/22/14)

Again, to be fair, this is hardly a bold prediction of super stardom. And it is blended with the opinions of others (although I don’t see Grammy expressing a contrary take). But it seems like a pretty optimistic assessment, and if memory serves correctly, there were others who were equally high on Stevens. And my point, once again, was simply that I’d like the summer league optimism to translate into regular season success.

8/02/2016 1:03 pm  #10

To me I think the reason we can be more certain about Mike's future because of the type of game he plays and his physical appearance. 

Unlike Stevens this kid actually is going from high school to D1 instead of high school to JUCO.

I wasn't a member of this board last summer but I do think it is unfair to compare the hype of Mike to Stevens. I feel much more confident putting my money on a 6'8 kid that plays the game right. 

Roll Dukes Roll

8/02/2016 1:52 pm  #11

I believe we've had this discussion before WRT to depth, no?

There is no guarantee that either Abrahamson or Blackman will be a good A-10 player, let alone any of the freshmen. It's neither a knock on anyone nor nattering nabobbery (nabobification?) of negativism. Surely they can be serviceable, good or great A-10 players, and I'd certainly like to see all of them excel. But they simply haven't played this level of competition yet, so there is no undisputable proof at this point.

We've had plenty of restrained and unrestrained optimism about this player or that one since the Ferry pulled into the port, precious little of which has been justified.

We'll see if the hype of Mike is justified, or if it's comparable to the good things we heard about Stevens, Castro, Powell, Robinson, or any other player who hasn't lived up to expectations. At this point, IMHO, it's reasonable and logical to compare, well, the comparisons.

8/02/2016 3:25 pm  #12

ElDuque wrote:

I believe we've had this discussion before WRT to depth, no?

There is no guarantee that either Abrahamson or Blackman will be a good A-10 player, let alone any of the freshmen. It's neither a knock on anyone nor nattering nabobbery (nabobification?) of negativism. Surely they can be serviceable, good or great A-10 players, and I'd certainly like to see all of them excel. But they simply haven't played this level of competition yet, so there is no undisputable proof at this point.

We've had plenty of restrained and unrestrained optimism about this player or that one since the Ferry pulled into the port, precious little of which has been justified.

We'll see if the hype of Mike is justified, or if it's comparable to the good things we heard about Stevens, Castro, Powell, Robinson, or any other player who hasn't lived up to expectations. At this point, IMHO, it's reasonable and logical to compare, well, the comparisons.

To be fair, Kale played a lot of minutes during 2 years in the B1G, a vastly better league than the A10. He basically doubled his minutes, and his stats playing in the MVC, a league that is maybe a hair weaker than the A10.

Board footera