Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2016 6:07 am  #1

8/04/2016 8:59 am  #2

Re: Pick up bucket

Lost 10 lbs? I remember Emitt Sellers was a great 2 guard for Jimmy Satalin, then he got involved in the Will-B girl oral sex incident and when he finally came back several season later he had gained some pudgy pounds and could no longer jump over people, kind of like the fatty three point ace, Tommy Pipkins.

Hope he can have some success, Castro that is, and that Mike is the real thing, then we could have our own " I Like Mike" to get behind.

A diehard fan since 1961

8/04/2016 9:18 am  #3

The fact that Ferry said he thinks Castro really can and will help us this year is an extremely positive sign for me. For him to say that about a guy who couldn't get off the bench for 3 minutes in most games suggests to me that he sees some real improvement from him, that's going out on a limb in a pretty big way.

8/04/2016 11:18 am  #4

I thought Ferry's line about rust was typical Ferry-speak. Kid hasn't been in a game in a couple years. So the Ferry solution is to chain him to the bench.

Way to break him back in. Yeesh!

8/05/2016 7:46 am  #5

When I saw Castro come into games he was very hesitant and then would jack up shots and drive to the hole with slow motion moves, usually missing the basket.

A diehard fan since 1961

8/05/2016 9:49 am  #6

Phildog wrote:

When I saw Castro come into games he was very hesitant and then would jack up shots and drive to the hole with slow motion moves, usually missing the basket.

Exactly! I was at most of the home games and saw the little he played (mostly ooc) and he literally played like he didn't think he was good enough to even be on that floor. Hesitant, the slowest guard I've ever seen, like he made Eric Evans look like a stud l. Call it rust, a lack of confidence, prob a combination of both. To be a former Gatorade player of the year in a good bball state like Massachusetts and recruited by a coach like Brad Stevens suggests to me this kid has high level talent somewhere in there. It is both his and Ferrys job to light a fire under his ass and start contributing to this team.

One of the biggest killers for a decent team last year was a complete lack of guard depth, mostly due to JJs injury and Castros apparent don't give a f*** attitude he seemed to play with. He hurt us bad last year by not being able to provide a reliable guard option off the bench to spell the two best players we had on the team. Castro as well as others timidness and unwillingness to create offense through passing, ball handling, and creating their own shots heavily contributed to Colter and Mason taking seemingly every shot down the stretch of games l, especially during conference play, in my opinion.

So come on Castro, get your head out of your ass and help this team this year! You have all the tools to make it happen. It's up to you to want it now.

8/05/2016 11:32 am  #7

102 - Grow-up!

8/05/2016 12:40 pm  #8

Hilltopper wrote:

102 - Grow-up!

Excuse me? I fail to see how one word in my post would illicite that type of response? I think Castro has played terrible to this point, but probably still has talent? Please explain my immaturity to me chief.

8/05/2016 2:14 pm  #9

Sorry 102 but I have to agree with Hilltopper.  There's no reason to use those kind of crude references when discussing one of the players on our team.  Just because a player didn't perform to expectations is no reason to disrespect him.

8/05/2016 3:00 pm  #10

I disagree with some of what 102 said too, but my take is a little different.

Knowing that a player has to sit out a year, I put a lot of responsibility on the coaching staff to get him ready for his return to action. The kid can certainly lift weights, shoot, play pickup games, etc., but if the staff had done a better job with him, maybe he doesn't look like he's lost out there.

I think the jury's out on Castro, although I hope he's going to help us. I'd like to see Ferry do a better job of developing players, rather than the revolving door of transfers, failed JUCOs, etc., that constitute his idea of "building a program."

And yes, 102, we're a family program here. I'm no prude but less profanity in the future, please.

8/05/2016 7:30 pm  #11

Sorry guys didn't realize that was an issue, I'll clean it up. I wasn't degrading Castro I said I think he has talent but hasn't shown it. Disagree?

8/05/2016 10:18 pm  #12

Duques102 wrote:

Sorry guys didn't realize that was an issue, I'll clean it up. I wasn't degrading Castro I said I think he has talent but hasn't shown it. Disagree?

No, but you questioned his character, which to me is unfair. I saw a guy who didn't play well, and then lost his confidence. It happens to better players than him, so it's no sin.

8/06/2016 9:04 am  #13

I think that's a stretch. Attitude and character are not the same thing. Many a sainted soul has had a bad attitude on occasion.

He didn't say Castro was poison. That would have been questioning his character.

We've beaten this horse so bad, we're chasing away the flies.

Board footera